test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The New Link mission FPS problem

marcoramius2marcoramius2 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
edited October 2015 in Graphical and Sound Issues
I'm having a fps slow down on this mission. All other missions run smooth with no problems well except for the open area of New Romulus but the missions area of New Romulus runs great.
my system is a 8 core amd with 8gb of ram and a ATI R380 vid card with 4gb and I'm running the game itself on a ssd and I'm also running win 10. the game has defaulted to max settings for the video, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Oh and all drivers are up to date.
Post edited by marcoramius2 on

Comments

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I'll throw my specs in as well. Same problem, and it's almost certainly an extension of the FPS problems I and a few other users have been encountering on New Romulus and Risa since the initial Season 10 update. It's a glitch, it needed to be fixed months ago. Just get the job done.
    • AMD Phenom x6 1045t (as a note I have this memorized because of how many times I've reported this issue across all channels, Cryptic.)
    • ATI Radeon 270 (also confirmed on Nvidia GTX 460) connected via PCI Express.
    • 8gb of RAM
    • Windows 10 (also confirmed on win 7)
    • Conventional HDD
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Ive been having FPS issues bad since season 10 on various maps. ESD is a little slow at 21 FPS, New Romulus Command at 11 FPS, New Link episode im around 5 FPS.

I am using an AMD FX 8120 8 core processor, ATI radeon R9 280x 3gb graphics card, and 8 gb of RAM.

Certain Delta quadrant patrol space maps and those listed above I have been at 20 FPS and lower, with 5 FPS being the worst on the New link episode ground section.

They are refusing to acknowledge this issue, even though people are clearly reporting it.

It seems to be linked to AMD/ATI setups for the most part. Although I have seen some people with nvidia reporting it as well.
  • Options
    farktoid5000farktoid5000 Member Posts: 72 Cryptic Developer
    If there are any specific locations where your framerate drops, please use /bug and post the ticket #. The /bug command records your location in-game so it's much easier to determine problem areas. Thanks!
    Follow your friendly neighborhood EQAH on Twitter! @CrypticEQAH
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    I'll file a bug the next time I run the mission, but I can say it's the entire ground portion of the mission for me. Turning my shadows down to low or off will drastically improve the framerate on the ground map for me.
  • Options
    martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    If there are any specific locations where your framerate drops, please use /bug and post the ticket #. The /bug command records your location in-game so it's much easier to determine problem areas. Thanks!

Will definitely post another bug report as soon as possible (with a follow up post here); Risa is an absolute nightmare for me for no discernable reason. Apparently whatever is going on there is affecting The New Link as well.

Farktoid, please let us know if there is any other data you could use (system specs, etc.). I know there are a lot of people here on the forums that would love to see you nip this one in the bud. Thank you for looking into this!

EDIT: FYI, for most of us experiencing this issue, there is no workaround that seems to work. Adjusting shadows, dx9/11, turning off detail objects, lowering physics objects...all of these have been suggested at one point or another and tested with no impact.
    Post edited by martakurill on
  • Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    The entire map is a mess for me, barely playable in fact.

My system spec:
    X99 chipset MSI motherboard
    Intel Core i7 Haswell-E 5820K
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    GTX 970 4GB
    Windows 7 Pro

Even with everything set to low I struggle to get 60fps, more like 45 with the UI turned off!

In fact just about everywhere in the game stutters at the moment for me, as soon as I hit 59fps I get horrific microstutter. It's the UI, it's so bad I've had up to and more than 50% gains in fps by turning it off on certain maps. Just mad.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Will do!

As a note here: severely affected maps include New Link ground, all exterior ground maps in the FED's klingon arc, New Romulus, New Romulus Command, and Risa (Summer Resort). Smaller, but similar, drops are also observed in ESD (when foliage in view) and the Dyson Allied space zone (worst when looking towards minefield from joint command building). I'll be posting bugs on what I can but in the near future I won't get to all known.

System specs again
    AMD Phenom X6 1045
    ATI Radeon 270 (also Nvidia GTX 460) connected through PCI-Express x16
    8gb ram
    Windows 10 (also 7)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options

Here's my information. While I've noticed it on Risa the most recently, I will add additional locations as I encounter the issue again.

Ticket # 3,797,954

System Specs:
    AMD A8-5600K
    AMD R7 370 4GB Graphics Card
    8GB of RAM
    Windows 8.1
  • Options
    markcameronmarkcameron Member Posts: 1 Arc User

I am about to replay the New Link (to check if its been fixed).

This is the only area of the game I have recently noticed a significant FPS issue. If its not fixed I will submit a ticket.

I have a 980Ti Strix - so this is obviously a coding issue not hardware issue.

i7-3770K @4.4GHzOC 8MB L3 LGA1155
    Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE Motherboard
    32GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3
    6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix
    GPU #2 2GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 Ti (PhysX)
    Windows 8.1 PRO

• Options
    benoliverwillockbenoliverwillock Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    Can confirm this is still a problem with this mission, getting 8 fps with the following hardware:

FX-6300 @ 4.2GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    4GB Asus R9 290 DCUII
    Windows 10 Pro

Its just the ground section, the space section in orbit is maxing out at 68fps.

I also have issues with low performance in ESD (20-30fps) and New Romulus Command (9-15fps)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Stormbound is also affected (no TRIBBLE, see. Risa.)

This needs action now.
  • Options
    natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    Stormbound is also affected (no TRIBBLE, see. Risa.)

This needs action now.

Yep! The Risa surface is where i totally lag out. 6 FPS. Using an R9 280x video card, 16gb ram, 8 core fx8120 processor..it is definitely not our systems. Seem to be affecting those with ATi gpu's more than others. I seem to think that Cryptic is unable to figure this one out. It must be a certain particle effect within these maps they are using that is causing some major issues.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    natejam101 wrote: »
    Yep! The Risa surface is where i totally lag out. 6 FPS. Using an R9 280x video card, 16gb ram, 8 core fx8120 processor..it is definitely not our systems. Seem to be affecting those with ATi gpu's more than others. I seem to think that Cryptic is unable to figure this one out. It must be a certain particle effect within these maps they are using that is causing some major issues.

I think it really has to be something associated with the vegetation. There's a few maps (ex. one of the generic foundry maps, I can't lookup which one it is at the moment but it's where my second mission starts) where removing high detail objects helps or (in the case of that foundry map) even removes the FPS slowdown. Particle effects don't seem to be affected when that happens, only certain assets are removed. In the case of these its usually lots of grass. Now it may not be the asset itself which is causing the problem but it may be how the engine is handling it. Lighting, rendering, textures, something may be up and up more with (I think too) ATI processors.
  • Options
    I know the devs have poked their heads in on this thread, but are you guys still seeing this? Any progress towards a fix?

(And other affected players, can you submit bug reports in game too and post the numbers here so I don't look like the only one this is impacting?)
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
  • Options
    hatax2hatax2 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    Getting the same thing here, have had it on the same maps as listed above since Season 10 (New Rom Command & Staging, Risa, and of course Orias 3 with the new link)

Ticket # #3,826,668

AMD FX-8350
    16GB Ram
    XFX AMD R9 280X 3GB

I really hope they can fix this soon, not cool that I get such horrible FPS with an older game engine like this. (Every time I'm playing the alpha of UT4 I question why I struggle so much with STO and it's graphics performance)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    So I've been digging into this again and there's a few things I can reiterate

1. Still a problem
    2. No known graphic setting change fixes it (including GPU options)

I also went ahead and did another diagnostic run, this time looking at what's going on with my PC while the framerate is tanking.

So, I went to Risa and played around in the space map for a minute (framerate: great). Then I beamed down to the summer resort and went straight for the jungle, through the resort complex (framerate: awful). As read by MSI's performance monitor, my CPU and RAM basically remained level through this period. However, the GPU (Radeon 270x connected through PCI-E to this motherboard) started behaving a bit...oddly.

GPU%20capture.png
    When the FPS was tanking GPU usage was basically cut in half and followed periodic spiking up to that new ~50% cap. The higher spikes after that pattern occurred while I was messing around with the windows screen-snipping tool. I can't possibly say what might be up here, but it's something new.

Also, one separate thing I'd like to check up on is whether Risa includes any animated vegetation. I vaguely recall some during the 2014 event but during my run today I noticed that it was all static. It could just be a problem with my own faulty memory, or something might be up there (could use some 3rd party validating.)
  • Options
    benoliverwillockbenoliverwillock Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    As an aside note, if you're experiencing low fps in the Winter Wonderland map, try turning off "show high detail objects".
    It disables some of the ground foliage, but for me took my fps from 20-35 to 40-60.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    As a followup, hey @farktoid5000 or any other Cryptic Devs...has there been any progress in nailing down the issue on these maps? Is there possibly more data we could provide that would be helpful in doing so?

Thanks!
  • Options
    nateham101#2745 nateham101 Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    > @martakurill said:
    > As a followup, hey @farktoid5000 or any other Cryptic Devs...has there been any progress in nailing down the issue on these maps? Is there possibly more data we could provide that would be helpful in doing so?
    >
    > Thanks!

Nope. There are still and have been several maps in space and ground that are not working properly. For instance, New Romulus Command..wow I get like 7 FPS there. Prior to season 10.5 I would be at 60 all day long. Not sure if it has something to do with the issue and AMD/ATI cards, but it seems that any map with animated vegetation or the color purple will be 15 or less FPS..
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Nope. There are still and have been several maps in space and ground that are not working properly. For instance, New Romulus Command..wow I get like 7 FPS there. Prior to season 10.5 I would be at 60 all day long. Not sure if it has something to do with the issue and AMD/ATI cards, but it seems that any map with animated vegetation or the color purple will be 15 or less FPS..

If you mean the latest driver problems, it doesn't appear so. This goes back a ways and Nvidia cards are also affected by the FPS drops. It may be a CPU problem (but then again both Intel and AMD users have reported inexplicable FPS problems) or a motherboard problem (socket type, PCI type, just what is very hard to say) or something else completely (ex. background programs.)

Animated vegetation might be the kicker for the ground maps, but I've also seen problems in the Dyson space adventure zones so its hard to say just what might be animating there (perhaps some of the environmental effects use the same mechanism to animate, but that's really getting into the territory of rampant user speculation.)
  • Options
    swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    The problem is still not fixed. But it is not only related to that map.
    In general the FPS for AMD players is terrible throughout the entire game.

high-end PCs with framedrops down to ~5 FPS
    Since Delta Rising the game performance is terrible and nothing is done against it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/4fgs1e/performance_problems/
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I'll bump this up as still a problem. The AMD patch on the last update has made a small general improvement but it has not fixed this specific issue on any affected ground map (AMD Phenom II X6 1045)

For reference those crippled maps also include:
    • New Romulus (command and adventure zone)
    • Risa Summer Resort (Event twice ruined? Looking likely.)
    • Outdoor exteriors during all FED missions in the KDF war series (save Vulcan and STA)
    • Kobali Prime
    • Some Foundry basemaps (alpine? Can certainly check if devs take an interest here.)
    • ESD (very small drop but noticeable, intensifies when camera pointed towards central chamber...with its small amount of greenery.)

And at this point it's almost certain it's some problem with the vegetation on those maps (turning off high-detail objects on Regulus and the Foundry maps removes some veg and the FPS drop along with it) and if I were investigating (with any technical competence) I would look into vegetation animations (seems a particular type used throughout these maps is causing the problem, as between all affected maps there's no single asset that they seem to all share.)

And for reference this started with (or very shortly after) the season 10 update.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
  • Options
    From what I can say the problem is not limited to these maps... I also have problems on other ground maps and in space.
    The "fix" from one week ago just made it worse.
  • Options
    voiddweller#2714 voiddweller Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    That's because Cryptic need to make an option to disable unnecessary shines. Especially if it slows down even above average hardware.
  • Options
    timerastimeras Member Posts: 33 Media Corps
    edited May 2016
    Can confirm all the listed problems above. I tried to find a solution for over one year now, writing tickets and sending mails with detailed information from countless of hours of testing. Everything is working fine with an older i5 3570 (60 FPS on Risa) but with my AMD FX 8350 I have 5-10 FPS max on this and other maps with vegetation. It's so annoying not to be able to play the game I love and played for over 6 years. And I don't see this to be resolved before this years summer event starts, ruining the second summer event in a row.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Photonen im Wind a foundry mission by timeras13
    Photonen im Eis a foundry mission by timeras13
    Photonen im Schatten a foundry mission by timeras13
  • Options
    murkalael#7691 murkalael Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    The entire delta quadrant have fps issues. Besides sector space and dyson sphere anywhere you enter is a huge fps lag.
    IInLzhi.gif
  • Options
    yep... problems pretty much everywhere... 5fps or lower on some misisons on a 8 core cpu with high-end gpu.
    If thats not going to be fixed anytime soon we will have the 2nd summer event that is unplayable by a large amount of players.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Finally found one setting that had a small but noticeable improvement (tested risa resort, framerate still terrible when looking towards map interior, with all the vegetation, but up by a few FPS).

In radeon settings (ATI card) - GPU clock and power. Increased both things on affected ground maps got a slightly better. It's by no means a fix (just boosting performance around issue) but it might be something to try when struggling to complete the floater challenge this summer.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    There's a fix for Risa up on Redshirt right now.