test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Review: Temporal Front [Spoilers]

apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
One of the highlights for me to play Star Trek Online is everytime when a new mission comes up.
We know by now that we will have VO, and the missions are about 30minutes if you don't rush it through.
Perfect time to sit down at your computer with hot coffee and just enjoy a Star Trek experience.

Anyway, enough of that.
I liked the mission overall, it was funny to finally meet the President of the Federation, even though I expected someone with more.. personality.
Meeting Vosk and fighting the Nak'hul was very refreshing from the Iconians who jus grinded my gears (urgh).

The Good
  • The Voice over
  • The story
  • Space Combat
  • Ground combat
  • Graphical design
  • Nak'hul are awesome designed, a interesting villan.

The Bad
  • Ensign who saved the president made me giggle, to much of a kliché scene from mainstram media I suppose :)
  • Some VO had forgotten how their character sounded like, The Cardassian ambassader voice was very strange if you compare to 2800. Same goes to the Gorn AMbassader (St'TRIBBLE?), if it was him to begin with
  • Vosk is acknowledge dead 1 minute after he departs by Johanthan Archer. (Temporal mechanics make my head hurt)
  • The objective to protect the captain was bit long, 2 console instead of 4 should have been enough.

Now, here is a questions;
Did j'mpok drink poison?
Was it J'mpok?
Did he die? No one cares?
21ajpqt.png

Comments

• Options
    farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    I skipped dialog as fast as I could without getting caught in loops, so I didn't see any story.

The part near the end where about a dozen enemy ships spawn is pretty annoying. They use that frontal cone attack one by one, then split into distortions, and each distortion does the cone attack too, and by the time the last distortion has used it the first real ship has it ready again. The spam got old. They didn't manage to kill me, so it didn't make any practical difference, and even if they had, I would've respawned and finished the mission anyway, so it really was 100% pointless, but... um... Temporal Cold War, exciting. Anyway, I got a weekly reward.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I have one more negative to add:

Why do my weapons from the early 25th century have any effect on ships and ground troops that are centuries more advanced? It's not like a galleon from the 17th century had any chance against a single modern military patrol boat.
  • Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    Hahaha precisely I agree with you szim !!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    The Nak'hul sent a lot of sips through that gateway before we destroyed it ... where were they in Enterprise? :open_mouth:

Does this mean the Temporal Arc is over? :hushed:
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    alfred399alfred399 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    apulse wrote: »
    Now, here is a questions;
    Did j'mpok drink poison?
    Was it J'mpok?
    Did he die? No one cares?
    Yes, they outright say it was poison
    Yes, his character model is outright labeled as J'mpok
    No, hes not dead that we know of.

Play the mission again as a Klingon - J'mpok does the final mission debrief bit where you select your rewards. So, nope, not dead

Could'a been explained a whole lot better in the actual mission though. I guess J'mpok's poisoned wine was a distraction to take a shot at Okeg - though if the assassin could poison wine and not be spotted why not just poison them both?

Other than that, I quite enjoyed this mission
  • Options
    thay8472 wrote: »
    The Nak'hul sent a lot of sips through that gateway before we destroyed it ... where were they in Enterprise? :open_mouth: :

They were trapped in Enterprise, so I think they diviated from the original flightplan.. or something

Good question, the bad guy is dead according to Walker.

21ajpqt.png
  • Options
    latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    I have one more negative to add:

Why do my weapons from the early 25th century have any effect on ships and ground troops that are centuries more advanced? It's not like a galleon from the 17th century had any chance against a single modern military patrol boat.

Not completely true! A cannon shot could do considerable damage to fibreglass, and at the very least it'd make a cracking good dent!
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • Options
    letsfadeawayletsfadeaway Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    Sadly it is not over yet, Noye is still out there with his Annorax and all the "fun" that that promises.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    The Nak'hul sent a lot of sips through that gateway before we destroyed it ... where were they in Enterprise? :open_mouth: :

They were trapped in Enterprise, so I think they diviated from the original flightplan.. or something

Good question, the bad guy is dead according to Walker.

The remaining Na'kuhl will likely be seen in the remainder of the temporal arc.

Loose ends that need to be wrapped up as of yesterday:

- Noye, the Sphere Builders, and the Annorax

- 5/5/16 :tongue:

- The Na'kuhl fleet

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I figured most of the ships that got through become the enemies we're fighting in the Red Alert/new que. The mission actually sets the stage for the rest of the content as up until now we haven't seen Na'kuhl chrono-warships in the present.
    I liked the mission overall, it was funny to finally meet the President of the Federation, even though I expected someone with more... personality.

What? How could you say something so speciesist? He's literally dripping with personality. The Saurian pheromones coming off him nearly made my character faint... Oh. Stupid 21st century computers and their lack of smell-o-vision.

If you were a Saurian you'd understand just how impressive he really is :grin:.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    nikeix wrote: »
    What? How could you say something so speciesist? He's literally dripping with personality. The Saurian pheromones coming off him nearly made my character faint... Oh. Stupid 21st century computers and their lack of smell-o-vision.

If you were a Saurian you'd understand just how impressive he really is :grin:.

I'm sorry, but it felt like he were a 12 year old boy who is king in England, I might have bad imagination.. *mumbles*
    21ajpqt.png
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    To be honest I don't play STO for the amazing acting.

I'll be playing the mission again soon - my first pass through was in a group and it went by a little faster than I could read it all. I'll try to appreciate the disjointedness and cardboard characters a little more deeply next time :).
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    Some of those ships will be the ones from the new Red Alerts which are already annoying me to no end with their inteusive pop ups.
    And some will be seen in future missions, I guess, which will be spread out through different eras. Most likely some Enterprise era missions with appropriate voice actors (maybe our very first captain VO even), we could go back to Voyager during their Delta Quadrant trip, TNG and DS9 and of course the trailer teased the NCC 1701!
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    I wound up having to re-start it after the bit where you have to mop up Vosk's remaining ground forces - which I did, in about three seconds flat, and then the mission stalled. Also, Jonathan "staring into the middle distance trying to look heroic" Archer gets credit for killing Vosk? I killed him twice myself! At least, I ran his health down to zero, which usually does the trick. Blast that script immunity temporal paradox....

I could cope with Okeg. I've always seen him as a "speak softly and carry a big stick" type, myself.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I agree that some voice overs sounded a lot different than what they used to. Also, the Tellarite guard was anything but a Tellarite. Unless they've developed such that they no longer insult other people for no particular reason. Hearing all these positive words and basically being treated as a saint or something while expecting a real Tellarite was a bit strange though.

The only mission element that I didn't like, is how, after Vosk initiates self-destruct of his ship, you stay for 5-10 minutes because Walker wants to download some stuff and you get attacked from all directions. The feeling of 'we need to get out of here, now!' was completely removed as he kept slowly walking from console to console, hoping for a big prize while our lives are at risk. It also didn't help that Na'kuhl kept coming while you expect the ship to be evacuated. Why would they try to stop you? They assume you'll be killed in the explosion, which only didn't happen because plot.

My suggestion would be to change this part, and make one big group of Na'Kuhl appear after Vosk leaves in a last effort to kill you, should the auto-destruct fail. That would be better, imo, than having 4 groups appear, one after another while Walker slowly moves from console to console.
  • Options
    Oh, the voice over of the Na'kuhl who tried to kill Okeg, was one of the best in the game. Almost at the same level of Gaul, if not higher.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    risian4 wrote: »
    I agree that some voice overs sounded a lot different than what they used to. Also, the Tellarite guard was anything but a Tellarite. Unless they've developed such that they no longer insult other people for no particular reason. Hearing all these positive words and basically being treated as a saint or something while expecting a real Tellarite was a bit strange though.

I mostly say to myself that it's because she's in fangirl mode to care about proper Tellarite manners.

I mean, her ancestor was the one who signed the signing of the Coalition of Planets and she gets to witness its successor. Squee!
    Then, she gets to meet the President, and all those distinctive figures and leaders of each main faction. Squee!
    Then, she gets to meet the Captain Kirk of the current time. Squee!
    Then, she gets to save the President! Sque*dead*
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    Tellarites are just as variable in personality as humans or Andorians... and it makes sense, I think, that - for a major diplomatic event - they picked a Tellarite who was capable of being, well, diplomatic.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    But still, is J'mpok dead?

Though I can't help to smile over KDF attitude against Romulans.

Whos fault is it? Romulans
    21ajpqt.png
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    shevet wrote: »
    I wound up having to re-start it after the bit where you have to mop up Vosk's remaining ground forces - which I did, in about three seconds flat, and then the mission stalled.

I had to restart at that point as well. Basically had to redo that section.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Sadly it is not over yet, Noye is still out there with his Annorax and all the "fun" that that promises.

My Annorax the Dialga wants to have some words with Noyes Annorax and it involves polaron beams also apulse J'mpok is not dead if ya look close enough the klingon that was poisoned did not have a scar on the left side of his face but rather an unscarred face
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • Options
    unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User

I mostly say to myself that it's because she's in fangirl mode to care about proper Tellarite manners.

I mean, her ancestor was the one who signed the signing of the Coalition of Planets and she gets to witness its successor. Squee!
    Then, she gets to meet the President, and all those distinctive figures and leaders of each main faction. Squee!
    She may have been the assassin's TRUE target. What better way to kill a supposed nobody who would later influence events than to mask their killing using an aborted assassination attempt of a powerful political figure like Okeg and J'mpok...
    I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • Options
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    shevet wrote: »
    I wound up having to re-start it after the bit where you have to mop up Vosk's remaining ground forces - which I did, in about three seconds flat, and then the mission stalled.

I had to restart at that point as well. Basically had to redo that section.

You may simply have to wait a minute or so. Sometimes enemies spawned a bit later or they were suddenly outside the room where the rest of their group spawned.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User

This is all:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    I think I'VE got to the point with this game is i just want to play something new. It was not that great to me. But i do love how every new enemy has some super duper power that is so laughable. All those ship doing the cone attack at the same time just ate threw shield and hull at the same time like candy. One attack does this. I can't even remember the last time i took that much hull damage. I had to test my new build out on other content to see if i made a bad build. But nope it was just this new super power these guys have. The ground combat has always been bad to me so i don't sweat it to much. Died alot on that part. Just respawn and continue.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    jarfaru wrote: »
    I think I'VE got to the point with this game is i just want to play something new. It was not that great to me. But i do love how every new enemy has some super duper power that is so laughable. All those ship doing the cone attack at the same time just ate threw shield and hull at the same time like candy. One attack does this. I can't even remember the last time i took that much hull damage. I had to test my new build out on other content to see if i made a bad build. But nope it was just this new super power these guys have. The ground combat has always been bad to me so i don't sweat it to much. Died alot on that part. Just respawn and continue.

Eh, a good evasive pattern should get you out of the way of most of the blasts - a well-built ship should, hopefully, be able to withstand the rest of what they throw at you by slapping on a ton of damage resistance buffs.

As for ground combat, the Na'kuhl do seem to be on the high end of the villain ladder - at one point I lost my entire away team despite using Threatening Posture to try and draw fire to my super-tanky self. (I don't think I died, though.)

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    I too thought J'mpok died and was like hell no, you killed him off instead of Okeg but then he debriefed me after all was over so I guess it was his double or something. The episode was ok overall. Do find it funny after all the build up leading to confrontation with Vosk only to have Walker say yup hes dead a few moments he steeped through the portal :smile:. Guess now I have to wait another month or two to find out what happens next "sigh".
  • Options
    tenderbitstenderbits Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    But still, is J'mpok dead?

Though I can't help to smile over KDF attitude against Romulans.

Whos fault is it? Romulans

After I interrogated the assassin and before the first time jump, I ran back into the main hall and all the faction leaders were hunkered down behind the table. J'mpok was there, writhing in pain so I dont think he is dead. The President was also on the ground writhing. The little 3rd-degree-burned-pig-faced LC/ensign honor guard was face down and not moving. Also, in my cut scene, the pig chick pulled a move from 22 Jump Street and dove too soon when trying to be a human shield. She was almost on the ground when the shot was fired. LOL.
  • Options
    tenderbitstenderbits Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    unotetsu wrote: »

She may have been the assassin's TRUE target. What better way to kill a supposed nobody who would later influence events than to mask their killing using an aborted assassination attempt of a powerful political figure like Okeg and J'mpok...

^ I was thinking this my self.
This discussion has been closed.