Options

Review: Temporal Front [Spoilers]

Comments

• Options
    voiddweller#2714 voiddweller Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    Been thinking about this a bit more.

Temporal entanglement.

If the Na'Khul take me out now, they'd likely cause the Alliance to fail and there will never be a Captain Walker of the U.S.S. Pastak -- who comes back in time to correct the history where I ended up serving the Tholians, which would have insured that I never recovered the World Heart and stopped the Iconians from conquering the galaxy... including the Na'Khul. Then they'd never be around to kill me and -- temporal reset.

That my history is tied up with Walker's is a bit of protection for both of us.

See, you too can come up with pseudo-scientific justifications if only you try! ;)

TIME PARADOX!

• Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    apulse wrote: »
    One of the highlights for me to play Star Trek Online is everytime when a new mission comes up.
    We know by now that we will have VO, and the missions are about 30minutes if you don't rush it through.
    Perfect time to sit down at your computer with hot coffee and just enjoy a Star Trek experience.

Anyway, enough of that.
    I liked the mission overall, it was funny to finally meet the President of the Federation, even though I expected someone with more.. personality.
    Meeting Vosk and fighting the Nak'hul was very refreshing from the Iconians who jus grinded my gears (urgh).

The Good
    • The Voice over
    • The story
    • Space Combat
    • Ground combat
    • Graphical design
    • Nak'hul are awesome designed, a interesting villan.

The Bad
    • Ensign who saved the president made me giggle, to much of a kliché scene from mainstram media I suppose :)
    • Some VO had forgotten how their character sounded like, The Cardassian ambassader voice was very strange if you compare to 2800. Same goes to the Gorn AMbassader (St'TRIBBLE?), if it was him to begin with
    • Vosk is acknowledge dead 1 minute after he departs by Johanthan Archer. (Temporal mechanics make my head hurt)
    • The objective to protect the captain was bit long, 2 console instead of 4 should have been enough.

Now, here is a questions;
    Did j'mpok drink poison?
    Was it J'mpok?
    Did he die? No one cares?

Keep in mind that STO is now an Actor's Guild Associated game now. As a result many of the voice acting talents are no longer employed with the game. So we're looking at new voice actors that don't seem to have bothered trying to mimic their predecessors.

Funny thing. On my second playthrough I ran back to the conference room before beaming out and J'mpok was convulsing on the floor...still alive.

szim wrote: »
    I have one more negative to add:

Why do my weapons from the early 25th century have any effect on ships and ground troops that are centuries more advanced? It's not like a galleon from the 17th century had any chance against a single modern military patrol boat.

I've noticed that too. The Pastak should be an absolute dreadnought in our time and our ships should be a frigate in their time. Unless weapons technology just plateaued in the early 25th century. I can't think that our war with the Iconians made our ships that powerful, especially since one of the plans in the Iconian War was to delay their formation til......the 29th century when our ships would be able to fight them with a reasonable expectation of winning.

The only answer I can think of is that the Na'khul ships are actually very low tier vessels since they are assembled by a terrorist faction and thus are nothing compared to a professionally built ship constructed by a super power several centuries ago. A yacht of today even if you put guns and some armor on it won't do so well against one of those heavy pirate galleons.

Shoddy workmanship was pointed out in the latest story blog, since apparently Na'khul ships can't time jump without losing lights and doors.
    thay8472 wrote: »
    The Nak'hul sent a lot of sips through that gateway before we destroyed it ... where were they in Enterprise? :open_mouth:

Does this mean the Temporal Arc is over? :hushed:

Not all of them went to the 20th century. They've been seeded throughout the timeline. Roughly nine centuries at least. They didn't even send enough ships through to cover every year, but it's still a bunch of small fish in an Olympic sized swimming pool to find.
    nikeix wrote: »
    I figured most of the ships that got through become the enemies we're fighting in the Red Alert/new que. The mission actually sets the stage for the rest of the content as up until now we haven't seen Na'kuhl chrono-warships in the present.
    I liked the mission overall, it was funny to finally meet the President of the Federation, even though I expected someone with more... personality.

What? How could you say something so speciesist? He's literally dripping with personality. The Saurian pheromones coming off him nearly made my character faint... Oh. Stupid 21st century computers and their lack of smell-o-vision.

If you were a Saurian you'd understand just how impressive he really is :grin:.

Good point, the majority of them are clearly attacking the 25th century as "Seek and Destroy" points out.

I hear that Okeg is a big hit with the Elcor as well. His voice is very gravelly I wasn't expecting that.
    risian4 wrote: »
    I agree that some voice overs sounded a lot different than what they used to. Also, the Tellarite guard was anything but a Tellarite. Unless they've developed such that they no longer insult other people for no particular reason. Hearing all these positive words and basically being treated as a saint or something while expecting a real Tellarite was a bit strange though.
    She's a LtCdr. and I am a Fleet Admiral?

Tellarites are argumentative, but I supremely doubt that they mouth off to superior officers. Especially since she was a Lieutenant Commander in Starfleet. She knows how to conduct herself at a major diplomatic conference. Just like a human knows to give the Vulcan salute to a Vulcan instead of shaking his hand.
    The only mission element that I didn't like, is how, after Vosk initiates self-destruct of his ship, you stay for 5-10 minutes because Walker wants to download some stuff and you get attacked from all directions. The feeling of 'we need to get out of here, now!' was completely removed as he kept slowly walking from console to console, hoping for a big prize while our lives are at risk. It also didn't help that Na'kuhl kept coming while you expect the ship to be evacuated. Why would they try to stop you? They assume you'll be killed in the explosion, which only didn't happen because plot.

My suggestion would be to change this part, and make one big group of Na'Kuhl appear after Vosk leaves in a last effort to kill you, should the auto-destruct fail. That would be better, imo, than having 4 groups appear, one after another while Walker slowly moves from console to console.

The weird thing is he didn't even give a time frame for the self destruct. I was thinking it was set to go off literally as soon as he was through the portal.

I get the waves of enemies, they could either be on the way to the portal to escape, or the types of fanatics who never have any intention of escaping or both. I know why they would want to stop you, getting their ship, their computers, or their Temporal Drive would be a gold mine and an intelligence coup. It may actually allow us to figure out how to track their incursions.

It would've been nice if Walker had said that he had managed to delay the self destruct at each station.
    risian4 wrote: »
    Oh, the voice over of the Na'kuhl who tried to kill Okeg, was one of the best in the game. Almost at the same level of Gaul, if not higher.

Krog? Yeah her voice was great. Very rich. I hope they give the actress another role.
    But still, is J'mpok dead?

Though I can't help to smile over KDF attitude against Romulans.

Whos fault is it? Romulans

That was S'Tass who pointed straight at Tiaru. Probably because like him he saw her refuse the drink. So to review, a Romulan offered Romulan Ale, at a Romulan conference, on New Romulus, and the Klingon Chancellor just happens to be poisoned? S'tass has been watching too much Law and Order he doesn't believe in coincidences. Nevermind the server who walked off instead of trying to get medical help. Frankly the poisoning was just a distraction. It could've been anybody.
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    shevet wrote: »
    I wound up having to re-start it after the bit where you have to mop up Vosk's remaining ground forces - which I did, in about three seconds flat, and then the mission stalled.

I had to restart at that point as well. Basically had to redo that section.

Me too, couldn't find the last squad.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Hm. My main issue is: WHY WOULD THE 29th CENTURY EVEN ASK ME TO HELP OUT?

My ship will be inferior (I mean, just look at the technological progress from the beginning of my career to now - Mk I to Mk XIV equipment... not to mention the ships), my information hopelessly outdated, and it risks a paradox for no reason whatsoever.

It's highly unusual.
    saber1973a wrote: »
    My main issue - we got many non-skippable cutscenes, where my ship is sitting on it's a.... and doing absolutely nothing (like just after destroying that portal station), straight in (example) center of a darn plasma cloud!

Now make the cutscenes skippable, or make us invulnerable while you freeze us - please....

For now - only 2 runs through that episode (thanks to daily patch in middle of day in Europe) with Engineering toons on Normal difficulty -in fully kited T6 Exploration Cruisers - full of set gear and Blue/Purple Mk XII - and both times i exit that cutscene in exploding ship - it's annoying.

This. I've never played a game where I'm actually vulnerable to being killed in a cut scene. It's absurd. Why am I being killed when I have no control over the ship?
    Though it would be a nice turnaround if J'mpok did infact die, jus think of the termoil in the Klingon Empire.

Without a House influence minigame in the empire where we have to keep up reputation with all the Houses on the council such turmoil could never be done justice without a Legacy of Romulus sized helping of episodes.
    equinox976 wrote: »
    What did I think of it?

I thought it made absolutely no sense at all.

The last episode 'cliff hanger' was a terrorist attack on a 'conference' the next episode introduction was terrorist attack on another conference...

Then we interrogate the would be assassin who insists they are trained in resisting ALL types of torture and will not answer our questions... and then answers all of our questions, without anybody resorting to any kind of torture...

Then we arrive at a random space station and are asked to identify ourselves, then when attempting to identify ourselves we are told "SILENCE!" in mid sentence...

Last episode was hardly a cliffhanger.

Maybe they're making a statement on the efficacy of torture. The achievement is "Like an open PADD". My Captain basically read her like an open PADD, guessing all the TRIBBLE she would've tried. An interrogation wasn't necessary, we just needed Krog to confirm what we already knew.
    The wonderful thing about time travel is that Archer may have neutralized Vosk, but it doesn't necessarily mean that Vosk won't still show up. ;) Depends on what his personal timeline looks like before that happens.

And the wonderful thing about fiction is that Vosk's demise can always be retconned into something less permanent.

Overall, I liked it. Now I have to play it through with my KDF and see if it plays any different.

True True.

We could be the ones who knock Vosk back to the 20th with no way home.
    I love how Walker says "Time is of the essence, we need to leave soon..." to get to the 29th century. Four centuries from then. Man, they'd better hurry or they'll be late to 400 years later! *facepalm*

Even Marty McFly figured out that if you have a time machine you have all the time you need for whatever.​​

The relationship of urgency in an age of time travel to the average Starfleet officer must be very interesting. I imagine that Walker gets antsy whenever he leaves his ship since he's not protected by any temporal shielding. Though maybe his personal shields actually have a temporal stasis field in them...
    semalda226 wrote: »
    See that's 1 thing that irks the TRIBBLE out of me. The 29th century uses warp drives!!! The Temporal Drive they use allows them to move to any Point AND Place in time. What's the point of Warp 10 when you can just time shift to a location instantly?

You mean warp speed. I would presume that warp speed is slow for them, I imagine they have a transwarp and a slipstream in there too. But having a warp drive makes sense, it's a basic technology. It probably only takes up the space of a shuttlecraft. If their temporal drive gets damaged they're still gonna want to be able to move around. And I imagine a Temporal Drive is warp 10.

jarfaru wrote: »

My ship will be inferior (I mean, just look at the technological progress from the beginning of my career to now - Mk I to Mk XIV equipment... not to mention the ships), my information hopelessly outdated, and it risks a paradox for no reason whatsoever.

Yeah i laughed at this through the whole episode. The 29th century feds. need my help in my outdated ship to deal with this. Why does anyone think this is good writing. It all just seems so lazy to me now. I think that's why i can't get hyped for this storyline. Its just so bad and without any Trek lore thought behind it.

I wouldn't be so quick to appeal to Trek lore. By the same logic, Daniels didn't need Archer at all.

It wasn't the fact that Archer's technology was good enough... it was the fact that Archer was an important figure in the historical timeline that was the reason Daniels wanted his help. The same reason why Picard had to be the guy who destroys the Tox Uthat.

I choose to think that it's the same reason why my character is getting tapped by Walker. In STO terms, in my personal game timeline, I'm one of the most historically important people of my time. Anything I do is going to have far more historical impact than if Commander Joe Smith-Nobody does it, and over time I become even more likely to do things that are pivotal for the whole timeline.

That makes me something of a temporal lightning rod. I'm a target. At the same time it's dangerous to mess around with me; it's even more likely that interfering with my history burns the future opposition's history and becomes self-defeating.

In summary, I'm Walker's rabbit's foot and four-leaf clover.

Indeed, important figures make equally good temporal agents. We're always being watched and we'll be missed.
    Been thinking about this a bit more.

Temporal entanglement.

If the Na'Khul take me out now, they'd likely cause the Alliance to fail and there will never be a Captain Walker of the U.S.S. Pastak -- who comes back in time to correct the history where I ended up serving the Tholians, which would have insured that I never recovered the World Heart and stopped the Iconians from conquering the galaxy... including the Na'Khul. Then they'd never be around to kill me and -- temporal reset.

That my history is tied up with Walker's is a bit of protection for both of us.

See, you too can come up with pseudo-scientific justifications if only you try! ;)

I had the same thought a couple months back. We're actually an indispensable historic presence. Furthermore without us, the Krenim are never found and thus the time travel revolution never occurs giving them no alternative methods of dealing with the Iconians.
    The sphere builders will be the main enemy in this story with Noye assisting.
    This.

Even in ENT, the Na'Khul were never the big bads of the temporal cold war, the Sphere Builders were. Not to mention we have yet to see the Suliban, nor have we dealt with all the Na'Khul ships that already went back in time.

The thing about the Suliban is, they aren't actually a faction in the cold war. They were proxies. Basically Weird shadow guy was using present day (22nd century) Suliban to conduct his part in the Temporal War (sorry I will never call it a "Cold War").

I admit, seeing the Cabal might be interesting, but much of that was covered in Enterprise, Not sure how much of a story is left there. With regard to the Suliban anyways.

The Temporal Cold War thing is funny. It's more of a Global War on Terrorism war than a Cold War or a hot war. That said. The 20th century Cold War had, the blockade of Berlin and the Berlin Wall, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, The Nuclear Arms Race, the Space Race, The Czechoslovakian War, the Soviet War in Afghanistan. To say nothing of generations of espionage.

Wars by proxy, intel, shifting alliances.

The key word isn't cold, it's war. The fascinating thing is apparently a Temporal "Hot" War results in so many changes to the timeline that space-time breaks.
    The thing about the Suliban is, they aren't actually a faction in the cold war. They were proxies. Basically Weird shadow guy was using present day (22nd century) Suliban to conduct his part in the Temporal War (sorry I will never call it a "Cold War").

I admit, seeing the Cabal might be interesting, but much of that was covered in Enterprise, Not sure how much of a story is left there. With regard to the Suliban anyways.
    While true, something had to have happened to make the Suliban useful proxies. One does not simply throw a dart at a board of various races and go "those will be my proxies!"

Whats more is that the Suliban homeworld was rendered uninhabitable sometime in the past by a never explained phenomenon. Given the recent rash of attempted star/planet killing in the current arc, this could be very well what introduces the Suliban to the War and why Future Guy chose them. They were effected by the time war, and chose to help Future Guy do something about it.

Absolutely. Also keep in mind, that the Suliban were genetically modified by their benefactors. So it wasn't random.

"Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I just found it funny that the assassin was like "I ain't telling you diddly squat !" And then proceeds to tell you everything. Lol

I liked the level design quite a bit, that ship interior was pretty sweet.

The story itself was not the strongest, but what can you expect with a temporal theme.

The Nahkul assassins voice over was a bit over dramatic for my liking.

Nice mention of Archer towards mission end, that was kinda cool.

Ehhh, all in all it was okay storywise, but pretty nice presentation.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    borgified007borgified007 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    I have to say man when I was seeing the cutscene with the romulan ale going around and everybody drinking etc. I had an OMG moment when I thought perhaps the whole room was about to die of poisoning.

If you want to see Time Travel done right read one of the best books ever written by Dean Kontz - Lightning
    It's well worth it.
  • Options
    borgified007borgified007 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    BTW in my third try of getting through the ship part I discovered what the problem was when you are mopping up forces. I had to change out my usual crew to officers who could not make mines, I also swapped my borg bridge officer. Apparently something is going on with player mines, turrets, generators etc. If you have any of those abilities active the mission bugs out and wont continue.
  • Options
    saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Nah - i have gone though that part with mines and turrets, and mostly the ship part gone alright
    (even better if i got rebreathers on my team for the crawler mines)
    But sometimes after the general Vosk escapes, part of enemies spawn in closed rooms - and the mission
    will not continue until you kill them all.
    The best way i found around this is stay around middle of the lower level (near the big half-sphere display like thing)
    until Walker beams in...
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    I did something similar. I just stayed on the bottom.level where the cutscene left me placed my away team near the door and made lunch and came back with the quest over lol.
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I just found it funny that the assassin was like "I ain't telling you diddly squat !" And then proceeds to tell you everything. Lol

Well, to be fair, you don't get to know much until Walker arrives and much of it serves to taunt you:
    She's from the 29th century, she used a Reman shapeshifting device and you saw it, she works alone because Na'kuhl master race and she's from Na'kuhl (OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD) and unless you act stupid or are not paying attention at all since the beginning of the arc, the answers are obvious.

So it's not about telling something you want to know, it's about having a recap for those who aren't following in the back of the classroom.
    Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options

I liked the level design quite a bit, that ship interior was pretty sweet.

The story itself was not the strongest, but what can you expect with a temporal theme.

The Nahkul assassins voice over was a bit over dramatic for my liking.

Nice mention of Archer towards mission end, that was kinda cool.

Ehhh, all in all it was okay storywise, but pretty nice presentation.

That interior was dead sexy. It was like this big red imperial throne room. Loved the computer sphere too.

Hang on, the Na'khul look like vampires...red interior. Huh.

You can't expect much from a temporal theme.

The thing that pisses me off is that no one ever talks about Archer having the greatest kill of any Starfleet Captain, playing mine tag with Dolim on the Xindi Superweapon.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Alright, OP listed The Good, listed The Bad, now who is going to list The Ugly.

I thought Okeg's Voice sound like someone was speaking through water or was about to gargle.

I did have to restart the battle on Vosk's ship but it had nothing to do with drones, or mines, or whatnot. In my case all the other Na'Kuhl on the ship were killed before Vosk slipped away. Three of the four doors were locked when it was still in the defeat remaining Na'Kuhl phase.

Did not get killed by any cut-scene.

The cut-scene group of Na'Kuhl ships made it through the Portal, no one else did.

The Space Station/Portal after some damage began to lose it much quicker and then exploded. Its destruction did not take me out.

The Assassin was very much in the tradition of a Bond Villian - 'ah, let me tell you my plans, you could not possibly do anything to thwart them anyway.'

Not bad overall.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »

I thought Okeg's Voice sound like someone was speaking through water or was about to gargle.

I did have to restart the battle on the Vosk ship but it had nothing to do with drones, or mines, or whatnot. In my case all the Vosk on the ship were killed before Vosk slipped away. Three of the four doors were locked when it was still in the defeat remaining Vosk phase.

Did not get killed by any cut-scene.

The cut-scene group of Vosk ships made it through the Portal, no one else did.

The Space Station/Portal after some damage began to lose it much quicker and then exploded. Its destruction did not take me out.

The Assassin was very much in the tradition of a Bond Villian - 'ah, let me tell you my plans, you could not possibly do anything to thwart them anyway.'

Not bad overall.

I got killed by the Golden Shield taking pot shots at me through the whole cut scene.

On Okeg's voice, the Saurians are a reptilian species, they're not great vocalizers so I found his voice very appropriate. He also has the back echo they use on S'Tass' voice as well.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    *chuckles* All the Vosk on the Vosk ship were dead before Vosk got away.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    Fixed that for you.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

Why do my weapons from the early 25th century have any effect on ships and ground troops that are centuries more advanced? It's not like a galleon from the 17th century had any chance against a single modern military patrol boat.

Ad why is it that whenever *we* find such advanced weapons and ships (like Tholian stuffz), it always completely stripped of almost anything that would give us a real, centuries-ahead advantage?! :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    feiqa wrote: »

Yeah i laughed at this through the whole episode. The 29th century feds. need my help in my outdated ship to deal with this. Why does anyone think this is good writing. It all just seems so lazy to me now. I think that's why i can't get hyped for this storyline. Its just so bad and without any Trek lore thought behind it.

No no. It is perfect writing. Look back at history. The further back we go the more heroes and notable personalities are there for us to remember. Now look today. Not so many song written about heroes coming home from the wars. Step forward in Trek verse now. Kirk, and crew. Not much on the next two Enterprises. Then Picard and crew. Sisko and a lesser extend Janeway. I say lesser extent because less of what she did was at home so less history locally. Step forward again you have our characters and crews. They are supposed to be singular so the bean counting bureaucrats of the 29th century need to come back and find someone that knows how to get dirty and get the job done. They don't have a true contemporary hero.

That, and with as pathetic a showing the Federation in general and Starfleet specifically keep putting forward during wartime, I'd imagine that by the 29th century people have just forgotten how to fight effectively in any manner at all. in favor of more art, philosophy and useless navel gazing.
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
  • Options
    thecoffinflythecoffinfly Member Posts: 203 Arc User

He's Saurian.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Ad why is it that whenever *we* find such advanced weapons and ships (like Tholian stuffz), it always completely stripped of almost anything that would give us a real, centuries-ahead advantage?! :P

I figured, say you've figured out ironclad ships, and the Iowa drops through from the future, you're not going to be able to maintain a 16-inch battleship rifled cannon even if you can use the ship in a lesser capacity.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »

To be honest, it ends up becoming a suspension of disbelief thing, because those are (obviously) gameplay imposed limitations, otherwise one would be asking why some of the Starship-specific consoles/abilities would have been more widely deployed. For example:

Ablative Armor Generator
    Quantum Focus Shield Bubble

These both (although one moreso than the other) make the Starship deploying the ability pretty much invincible for a short time - overlooking the gameplay fact that they're gimmick consoles to sell ships, from a more 'realistic' viewpoint, why would Starfleet invent tech that can make a ship all but invincible for a short time but limit that ability to only one class of ship?
    Obviously it does work, but how? Maybe it requires specialized subsystems that can't be slapped onto just anything.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options

There's actually a reason the devs have given us that now that I think about it is very terrifying.

The People who sell us all these lockbox ships, the Lobi Crystal Consortium strip all the ships of their future gear before selling them.

Which means the Lobi Crystal Consortium has an arsenal of 29th century, Cardassian, Dominion, Vaadwaur, Tal Shiar, Herald, Mirror Universe, etc.

Maybe they're the real final villains... :o
    highlord83 wrote: »
    feiqa wrote: »

No no. It is perfect writing. Look back at history. The further back we go the more heroes and notable personalities are there for us to remember. Now look today. Not so many song written about heroes coming home from the wars. Step forward in Trek verse now. Kirk, and crew. Not much on the next two Enterprises. Then Picard and crew. Sisko and a lesser extend Janeway. I say lesser extent because less of what she did was at home so less history locally. Step forward again you have our characters and crews. They are supposed to be singular so the bean counting bureaucrats of the 29th century need to come back and find someone that knows how to get dirty and get the job done. They don't have a true contemporary hero.

That, and with as pathetic a showing the Federation in general and Starfleet specifically keep putting forward during wartime, I'd imagine that by the 29th century people have just forgotten how to fight effectively in any manner at all. in favor of more art, philosophy and useless navel gazing.
    How is that possible, everything in the 25th century so far has been nothing but war. Besides humans I know never forget how to fight. Neither do Andorians, Tellarites, Vulcans, or Bajorans.
  • Options
    Since we are at T6 levels ships, you would think that future ships like the Mobius and Wells, and their Faction equivalents, would at least be at that Level as well, without having to go back to the Ferengi to re-retrofit them again.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    I figured, say you've figured out ironclad ships, and the Iowa drops through from the future, you're not going to be able to maintain a 16-inch battleship rifled cannon even if you can use the ship in a lesser capacity.

Star trek, and other sci-fi tech is pretty much self sufficient, you just need raw materials to obtain anything trough replication. It's not like fueling and arming XX century ships. Anyway iconians have 1/4 million years old tech and it's still superior, yet not invincible. Well it's fictional after all.
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »

To be honest, it ends up becoming a suspension of disbelief thing, because those are (obviously) gameplay imposed limitations, otherwise one would be asking why some of the Starship-specific consoles/abilities would have been more widely deployed. For example:

Ablative Armor Generator
    Quantum Focus Shield Bubble

These both (although one moreso than the other) make the Starship deploying the ability pretty much invincible for a short time - overlooking the gameplay fact that they're gimmick consoles to sell ships, from a more 'realistic' viewpoint, why would Starfleet invent tech that can make a ship all but invincible for a short time but limit that ability to only one class of ship?

Depends on the technology. For instance, the shape of a starship means that you actually can't just put a Quantum Slipstream on a Galaxy class. The ship shape has to be similar to the Dauntless as the Intrepid, Vesta, and even the Prometheus are.

As far as the Vesta's gear keep in mind that some of it is specialty equipment. This is what the shield was in the books.
    The multidimensional wave-function analysis module allowed the Vesta-class starship to detect inter-dimensional rifts in subspace and temporal distortions in space time up to 23 light years away, and it also emits a multidimensional gravaton shield which in theory can reverse the effects of a dimensional worm-hole e.g. a worm-hole absorbs light and matter, but with a Multidimensional wave-function analysis Module matter i.e. a starship would be pushed away from the event horizon.

The Vesta herself was a testbed for new technology, so the kinks may not be worked out or safe just yet. So it may be five or it may be thirty years before that technology is worked out and deployed to the fleet OR ships are designed to take advantage of the completed technology. Starfleet isn't in the practice of half assing it's technology roll outs though.

They'd also be missing diesel fuel, and the infrastructure to make it would still take another thirty years, also they couldn't use cannonballs.

On the other hand the first Ironclad battle showcased that they needed something better shaped than cannonballs.
    captaind3 wrote: »
    How is that possible, everything in the 25th century so far has been nothing but war. Besides humans I know never forget how to fight. Neither do Andorians, Tellarites, Vulcans, or Bajorans.
    Because Star Trek is based on Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future were eventually everyone could learn to move past their differences and come together, and the Temporal Accords Era is just that.

Of course, but make no mistake, we can put our old prejudices, bad instincts, and ill behavior on the shelf and be every bit as good as our hopes and civilization demand of us, to be better than we were the day before....but at no point did Roddenberry ever say we become punks who forget how to fire phasers. I'll let Quark explain it...

"Let me tell you something about Hew-mons, nephew. They're a wonderful, friendly people – as long as their bellies are full and their holosuites are working. But take away their creature comforts... deprive them of food, sleep, sonic showers... put their lives in jeopardy over an extended period of time... and those same friendly, intelligent, wonderful people will become as nasty and violent as the most bloodthirsty Klingon. You don't believe me? Look at those faces, look at their eyes..."
    Since we are at T6 levels ships, you would think that future ships like the Mobius and Wells, and their Faction equivalents, would at least be at that Level as well, without having to go back to the Ferengi to re-retrofit them again.

Realistically they should be Tier 7, 8, or 9. Higher...the 29th century. The date we went to in Temporal Front is Stardate 560703.48 September 14, 2883 at about 2329 hours. If that's NOW for the Pastak, then 479 years in the future. There's 165 years between tier 1 and tier 6. So, if we're looking at 30 years per tier, a generation each, then the Pastak should be a roughly tier 22 or 23 Starship.
  • Options
    Realistically they should be Tier 7, 8, or 9. Higher...the 29th century. The date we went to in Temporal Front is Stardate 560703.48 September 14, 2883 at about 2329 hours. If that's NOW for the Pastak, then 479 years in the future. There's 165 years between tier 1 and tier 6. So, if we're looking at 30 years per tier, a generation each, then the Pastak should be a roughly tier 22 or 23 Starship.

Progress is not linear, there may be breakthroughs and stagnation. Ships of older civilizations may have millions of hitpoints that way. Speaking about realism, any materials and power sources have their limits, and this limits is nearly reached by starfleet ships. It's like humanity was totally undergeared, and then geared up to the galaxy level within 500 years. You can progress further, but there won't be any revolutional breaktroughs, unless galactic civilization will find a way to the point of transcendence, where nobody will need spaceships, fuel, materials or power sources.

• Options
    They could be, but for our purposes they are gutted by the Ferengi. The Ferengi should at least make them available to current standards (T6). We know that won't happen without a massive new monitization scheme however.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    The notion that two species will encounter each other at a mutual point in their technology curves where there's any meaningful conflict POSSIBLE between them is one of space opera's greatest conceits.

Star Trek has always had greater powers out there minding there own business that could sweep all the pieces off the table with a wave of their hand if they cared.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Progress is not linear, there may be breakthroughs and stagnation. Ships of older civilizations may have millions of hitpoints that way. Speaking about realism, any materials and power sources have their limits, and this limits is nearly reached by starfleet ships. It's like humanity was totally undergeared, and then geared up to the galaxy level within 500 years. You can progress further, but there won't be any revolutional breaktroughs, unless galactic civilization will find a way to the point of transcendence, where nobody will need spaceships, fuel, materials or power sources.

Of course not, but trends do exist, I was just generalizing.

That said there are still quite a bit of jumps left to make. Drexler in discussing the Enterprise-J was talking about folding space drives and transgalactic exploration missions.

So Starfleet isn't at the limits just yet.

Though I think it's fair to believe at some things becoming smaller more incremental growth than huge leaps.

That said, I think a huge leap would be something like the Dauntless' slipstream drive being a tiny Tesla Ball, and a memory Alpha being the size of a basketball like the World Heart.
    They could be, but for our purposes they are gutted by the Ferengi. The Ferengi should at least make them available to current standards (T6). We know that won't happen without a massive new monitization scheme however.

Well as a matter of company policy, they didn't level any ships up from T5 to T6, sales and all.
  • Options
    Sure but they weren't FUTURE Ships.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.