Install Arc
Options

Unofficial Literary Challenge #16 Discussion Thread

12346»

Comments

• Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Thank you for reading!

In response, I had considered the issue of "time" with this and decided not to address it overtly. In hindsight I could/should for clarity. The way I imagine it, returning to ESD is not a common event for Starfleet ships especially since they are essentially self-contained environments with multiple venues to handle repair and resupply. BIG tasks would necessitate a return to ESD, such as the prompt alluded. 247 dead crew was not intended to be from a single sortie, but a total from the previous visit to ESD. How much time that was is immaterial to my presentations. At the same time, by this prompt, the Iconian War had concluded and I'm sure very little of the Fleet was untouched. A ship as "big" as Solaris was bound to have casualties in relatively high numbers. Still, I wanted to have Kathryn holding a bag of names and that quantity needed to be large without being too large (and I wanted to use 47).

I wasn't sure if the GG BRidge was off limits to pedestrians by the 25th century. I presumed not for the prompt, but I really don't know how it is over there now either ...

Whales be damned. The three brought back are likely NOT in the Bay area!

More reviews until I'm done.

@jonsills - Nice little "go have fun" piece. The word "moist" seemed way out of place for Grunt ...

@jonnaroslyn - Although a bit long for me, I was still wowed! That should be an episode. I was glued to each word. Very well done and thank you :)
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    Thank you for reading!

In response, I had considered the issue of "time" with this and decided not to address it overtly. In hindsight I could/should for clarity. The way I imagine it, returning to ESD is not a common event for Starfleet ships especially since they are essentially self-contained environments with multiple venues to handle repair and resupply. BIG tasks would necessitate a return to ESD, such as the prompt alluded. 247 dead crew was not intended to be from a single sortie, but a total from the previous visit to ESD. How much time that was is immaterial to my presentations. At the same time, by this prompt, the Iconian War had concluded and I'm sure very little of the Fleet was untouched. A ship as "big" as Solaris was bound to have casualties in relatively high numbers. Still, I wanted to have Kathryn holding a bag of names and that quantity needed to be large without being too large (and I wanted to use 47).

I wasn't sure if the GG BRidge was off limits to pedestrians by the 25th century. I presumed not for the prompt, but I really don't know how it is over there now either ...

More reviews until I'm done.

@jonsills - Nice little "go have fun" piece. The word "moist" seemed way out of place for Grunt ...

@jonnaroslyn - Although a bit long for me, I was still wowed! That should be an episode. I was glued to each word. Very well done and thank you :)
    I've always thought of it being open to pedestrians, but for some reason, I was envisaging Kathryn as climbing to the top of the supports, hence my gag about the poe lease and jumpers ;)
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    It was a great piece - was curious if this was the result of a single battle or even campaign, or the cold attrition of Starfleet being a very dangerous business.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    All of it :) Kathryn held onto the names until she could return to Earth.
  • Options
    @hawku001x - Part 2 had me laughing. Really fun work on this one!

@wombat140 - For your first entry, this was really good!
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Thanks! Samya's my action heroine.
    But... but... Elisa Flores said they were there. :'(

save_the_whales_shirt_design_by_sunhawk-d3av0t5.png

900cd3e76561c18a15b90522ea64a767.jpg

• Options
    Haha. Ok, fair enough - I meant, the likelihood the whales where under the bridge at the time of throwing the plates was not likely. And even if they ate some, and presuming the whale did not die from them, then the plates are likely to get pooped out. SO, if the plates got stuck in the whales' TRIBBLE, blocking the outhouse door, causing fatal constipation, then the carcass would eventually decompose, leaving the plates anyway.

So, it's kind of a cruel win-win for Kathryn's personal ceremony.
  • Options
    lol

Oh no! Poor whales! We need to get them out of there.

orcagif2.gif
  • Options
    hawku001x wrote: »

Commander Flores says many things to many people ;)
  • Options
    If this isn't the oddest topic to spin out of a literary challenge entry, it has to at least crack the top five. :)

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    If this isn't the oddest topic to spin out of a literary challenge entry, it has to at least crack the top five. :)
    Doing LDS helps ;)
  • Options
    A Latter Day Saint?! Good grief man, this is a family forum!
  • Options
    Doing LDS helps ;)

We were part of the free speech movement at Berkeley. :D
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User

Commander Flores has claimed to be a member of four separate crews on my main account alone. I wouldn't trust anything she says - or rather, anything they say.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    A Latter Day Saint?! Good grief man, this is a family forum!
    Jesus and I love you :D
  • Options
    Doing LDS helps ;)

We were part of the free speech movement at Berkeley. :D
    ;)
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »

Commander Flores has claimed to be a member of four separate crews on my main account alone. I wouldn't trust anything she says - or rather, anything they say.
    Mariposan clones... The secret is to check for the barcode tattoo ;)
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »

We've got to get her hooked up with Psmith, really.

• Options
    What the ... she joined my crew too! She was relieved from duty a week later. That hussie.
  • Options
    jonnaroslynjonnaroslyn Member Posts: 50 Arc User

Just saw this today, thank you so much, that's very high praise!! :blush: