test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New trek TV Show on 2017

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-tv-series-works-828638

This is CBS so it should be covered by Cryptic's license. No idea what era it'll be set in, or even if it's a reboot. (Heck, they don't even have a writer, yet.)
Speculate away!

Comments

• Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I just read this also. There's good and bad. It clearly says that it's not related to the JJ movies. However it's made by the same people. I'm going to guess it'll be set around the time of STO. It's only on CBS all access. And obviously Captain Worf isn't going to make it. However, all that said - it's a new Star Trek series!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    There's already a thread about this... just sayin' B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Without clicking on the link yet i certainly hope its the Micheal Dorn project, it has the best chance of sucking the least. I was hopeful when he said in an interview he has a bunch of people whos worked on past star treks tentatively agreed to be on board.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited November 2015

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    zzzspina01zzzspina01 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    i hope its not a reboot and that they make clear that romulas never got destroyed. I hope they wipe the new JJ trek from the cannon time line.
    I cant brain I have the dumb
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    The producer is Alex Kurtzman who worked with JJ Abrams on Into Darkness. Kurtzman was also a writer for Hercules: The Legendary Journeys which aired alongside Xena: Warrior Princess back in the day.

I watched Hercules back when I was a kid. For one it was one of the few shows I could watch with a pair of rabbit ear antennas. For two, I just liked watching Kevin Sorbo throw people around like rag dolls. However the script was never something that mattered to me and to be honest it kind of sucked.

Given his history I have low expectations.
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User

In the defence of the OP, they do mention the impact on the game so this is in the right section. Now it's just a matter of making sure all we discuss is the impact on the game universe and leave discussion of the TV show to elsewhere to prevent it becoming redundant, so everyone else, please focus.

As I recall, the STO devs had sopme conversations with the JJ team when the movie was coming out about certain plot points to ensure they could fit the game around things, wouldn't surprise me if they could get some sort of leniency to bend things round, and hopefully best case scenario the dates roughly match in-game to the show so there can be some crossover promotion in-game (unlikely to be in the show, but who knows).
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    swamarian wrote: »
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-tv-series-works-828638

This is CBS so it should be covered by Cryptic's license. No idea what era it'll be set in, or even if it's a reboot. (Heck, they don't even have a writer, yet.)
    Speculate away!

I doubt anything new is covered by Cryptic's original license with CBS.
    PWE/Cryptic will have to renegotiate for anything new that comes along.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    Skeptical Taco is skeptical.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    tacofangs wrote: »

If you are skeptical of whether it will be good, that's understandable. However, this has now been officially announced at startrek.com, so it's confirmed.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »

But, do you think it's a good idea and what would be your druthers?
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    So it seems Hell has finally frozen over.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    So it seems Hell has finally frozen over.
    And pigs have learned to fly...

Looking forward to any new Trek series on the horizon.
    This is good news.

*I'll save my skepticism for the first episode :P
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    OMG!!!! did i just hear the echos of a fat lady singing ?????​​
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    Have to say I'm worried not only from how the show will be but also how this will effect the game if at all
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Without clicking on the link yet i certainly hope its the Micheal Dorn project, it has the best chance of sucking the least. I was hopeful when he said in an interview he has a bunch of people whos worked on past star treks tentatively agreed to be on board.

It's not. The official press release mentions brand new characters
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    khan5000 wrote: »

It's not. The official press release mentions brand new characters

Though to be fair, it doesn't say *exclusively* brand new characters. It's possible that with it's wording it could be *mainly* brand new characters that the show is actually based on, with some existing characters appearing.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Adopting a wait and see attitude. I was hoping something like Renegades or Anaxar would be the next show, but that was a pipe dream.

Will have to wait and see.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I think Michael Dorn knew about this at the convention. He said he would know by early next year if his show was getting made and that it depending on something else. I'm guessing this is that something else.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    More good news! I may have to get the CBS streaming stuff they're talking about to watch it.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    I'm not sure how I feel about it...if it's going to be ran by the same people as JJTrek them I'm worried it will be another generic action show...filled with explosions and all kinda of special effects that wont last more than a season or two because either people don't watch it or it's to expensive.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    I enjoy anything star trek, I even enjoyed the jjmovies and some of the you tube fan made offerings like Starship Farragut, Star Trek Continues and Star Trek New Voyages so I am very happy to see this news.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    I've always thought a federation civil war would make a fantastic series. Given the current political climate in the United States and elsewhere it could be used to illustrate a number of points about democracy, racism, arrogance etc. While still possessing dark and action oriented aspects.

Time to TRIBBLE slap the federation out of its unrealistic Utopia.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Why would that be? The whole point of Star Trek is to boldly go and explore new things so why not explore the one thing none of the series would? The Federation itself.

Civil wars always make for good drama and that would be multiplied exponentially by star Treks signature taking on of real world issues. Terrorism, political ideology, lack of open-mindedness about other cultures etc.

What more could you want from Star Trek than an allegory about modern society?
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User

Do NOT get my hopes up about it being a Michael Dorn project! I'll see your "best chance of sucking the least" and I'll raise you my own: "a good chance to make something intriguing and excellent".