test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

If you could, what sci-fi / fantasy universe would you live in?

Comments

• Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    Game of Thrones Universe
    starswordc wrote: »
    Hey OP, you forgot to add the Warhammer 40k universe!

Actually, depending on where in the 'verse you live, 40k wouldn't be too bad. The Ciaphas Cain novels indicate that on a lot of the Imperium's less-populated worlds (i.e. not hive-worlds with hundreds of billions of citizens, not forge worlds polluted beyond reason, not death worlds where you're stuck in the Iron Age), people seem to have a standard of living comparable to the better parts of modern-day Earth, excepting that you're living in an oppressive ultra-bureaucratic theocracy at the national government level.

That's assuming the planet doesn't get attacked by xenos nasties or Chaos, of course.

Or the victim of an inquisition exterminatus on mere suspicion of corruption
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
      Star Trek Universe
      23th Century gotta have replicator of some sort, I mean, the ENT already have protein (re?)sequencer, the Constitution have "food slot"... It probably wont taste as good real deal or 24th century replicator, and because the need of chef(even in 2290s) means it can't make finished meal. Only the raw material.
      Hast thou not gone against sincerity
      Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
      Hast thou not lacked vigor
      Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
      Hast thou not become slothful
    • Options
      Star Trek Universe
      dalolorn wrote: »
      You forgot Stargate, StarCraft and Star Clusters (/shamelessplug :tongue:).

More serious answer: Stargate, Star Trek or Star Wars. Not sure which one of those. MAYBE StarCraft, depending on what happens post-LotV and whether we get to choose what era we live in.

Quite frankly for all we know we're already living in Stargate. Unless you've got top secret clearance with the Air Force or UN you wouldn't remotely be allowed to know about the program.

Fair point.

*makes a mental note to get top top secret clearance with the USAF and/or UN*

You have been flagged by NSA, please report to your local police station.
    • Options
      gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
      Star Trek Universe
      k20vtec wrote: »
      23th Century gotta have replicator of some sort, I mean, the ENT already have protein (re?)sequencer, the Constitution have "food slot"... It probably wont taste as good real deal or 24th century replicator, and because the need of chef(even in 2290s) means it can't make finished meal. Only the raw material.

That said I don't know that we know what the source of the matter is that the food slot uses. It may still require some form of food input.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
      Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    • Options
      dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
      k20vtec wrote: »
      You forgot Stargate, StarCraft and Star Clusters (/shamelessplug :tongue:).

More serious answer: Stargate, Star Trek or Star Wars. Not sure which one of those. MAYBE StarCraft, depending on what happens post-LotV and whether we get to choose what era we live in.

Quite frankly for all we know we're already living in Stargate. Unless you've got top secret clearance with the Air Force or UN you wouldn't remotely be allowed to know about the program.

Fair point.

*makes a mental note to get top top secret clearance with the USAF and/or UN*

You have been flagged by NSA, please report to your local police station.

Hmm, might have to go to the US, find a cloaked Al'kesh or something... :tongue:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
    • Options
      Star Trek Universe
      Star-trek verse seems nice, after all, it is suppose to be a optimistic show.

Otherwise the Star Wars galaxy in some nice planet like Alderaan, big and secure, but not too big like Courscant. Trick is tovpick the right time. Somewhere within a thousand year from prequels have no large wars, no weirdos running with glowsticks and no evul empires. Seem to be nice

Not sure about any fantasy universe, aside from urban fantasies. If you aren't magician you will be living in Medieval age really.... And we all know the living condition back then isn't exactly good by our standards....
    • Options
      avanterranavanterran Member Posts: 9 Arc User
      Star Trek Universe
      Well that sucks, I don't see the Doctor Who universe up there... guess I'll go with Star Trek!
      If someone who knew the future pointed out a child to you and told you that that child would grow up totally evil to be a ruthless dictator who would destroy millions of lives... could you then kill that child?

~The Doctor
    • Options
      wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
      edited October 2015
      Star Trek Universe
      The Firefly Universe sounds like an idea (assuming you get to choose to go to the Rim rather than the Hub - otherwise so much for the cunning plan!), but for me it would be a case of, as the song says, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose... nothing ain't worth nothing, but it's free". The Rim is relatively free from interference from the regime only because it's basically a bit rubbish. And you left something out of your list, Kamiyama317:
      All you need is a gun, a ship, and open sky. The whole premise of the series is that you will always be free as long as you have that.
      All you need to be free is a gun, a ship, open sky, and your health. SUCKS to be River Tam in the Firefly universe. Star Trek has the medical technology and that trumps most things. It's not very uplifting, but that one thing can always take the sky from anyone.
      gulberat wrote: »
      I would probably opt to make a colony my place of residence rather than Earth since I think Fed society is too conformist...colony worlds probably have more to offer someone who is not an ideological conformist. But considering my bar for what constitutes a decent standard of living is based on 2015, I suspect that as long as the colony is not brand spanking new or on a particularly hostile world (environmentally or subject to Klingon or other predation), I would be very comfortable (maybe even feel pampered!) even with what a coreworld citizen would call "roughing it."

I'd go for Earth, their kind of weird is a kind of weird that I'd personally get on quite well with - at least, at the best guess of just what Earth society IS supposed to be like in Star Trek. But yep, if they turned out too annoying, there's always the colony worlds. And it's possible I wouldn't be able to get used to a society where everything was too easy and shiny!

Doctor Who universe would be fun though, yeah. And Star Trek can't beat it on medical technology grounds either, because we all know the Whoniverse has exactly whatever technology the plot needs it to :)
    • Options
      mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      Star Trek Universe
      The Firefly universe would be nice. All you need is a gun, a ship, and open sky. The whole premise of the series is that you will always be free as long as you have that. No rules, no regs, no government. Just you, your ship, the sky, and your ability to survive.

In all honesty the Star Trek Universe is too populated. You can't go anywhere without one species or civilization or another being right next door. Every quadrant has an empire of some kind, and a good number of them are outright villainous. You would always either be held to certain laws or rules, or under constant attack by bad guys. You would never be truly free.

I don't know - Firefly is limited to a single star system and the Alliance has it all under control, more or less. The Browncoats lost their war for independence, after all. It seems very unlikely you'd find an untouched home anywhere in Firefly.

In Star Trek - heck, some people own their own moon.
      The STO Universe after the Iconian War might be the best - you need an empty space? There are two Dyson Spheres out there. Sure, they aren't empty, but the interior space is huge. If you want to live on your own and far away from everyone, you could. And there are certainly countless of worlds you could go to and be left alone. Considering how many lost colonies TOS and TNG uncovered with just a single ship each... And that's only the stuff they actually found.​​
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    • Options
      delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
      Star Wars Universe
      Tough choice.

Star Wars, Mass Effect, and Star Trek are all very appealing in this context.
    • Options
      artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      Firefly Universe
      I don't know - Firefly is limited to a single star system and the Alliance has it all under control, more or less. The Browncoats lost their war for independence, after all. It seems very unlikely you'd find an untouched home anywhere in Firefly.

Can't see why that's a problem. I'd happily live in the Alliance.

Might spend Tuesday glassing Shadow.​​
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • Options
      legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
      artan42 wrote: »

Might spend Tuesday glassing Shadow.

'scuse? if you wanna throw down, bring it on bucko, but you'd better be damn SURE you can take on 312 pounds of solid muscle attached to a very pissed off werewolf with claws that can gouge rodinium!​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.
    • Options
      adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
      Star Trek Universe
      For me, it has to be the Trek universe. I have a fairly good grasp of the history and the principles behind the technology along with a rough idea of Starfleet rules, if not regulations. I think I could manage as an engineer given the opportunity.
      ZiOfChe.png?1
    • Options
      Firefly Universe

'scuse? if you wanna throw down, bring it on bucko, but you'd better be damn SURE you can take on 312 pounds of solid muscle attached to a very pissed off werewolf with claws that can gouge rodinium!

I will shoot you in the head, with a Lassiter.​​
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
      edited October 2015

'scuse? if you wanna throw down, bring it on bucko, but you'd better be damn SURE you can take on 312 pounds of solid muscle attached to a very pissed off werewolf with claws that can gouge rodinium!

I will shoot you in the head, with a Lassiter.

the high school or the film? that's all i can find for lassiter, other than it being someone's last name

EDIT: never mind, i found it...and it's an antique​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    • Options
      Firefly Universe

the high school or the film? that's all i can find for lassiter, other than it being someone's last name

EDIT: never mind, i found it...and it's an antique

Yeah, but it's a laser antique and looks silverish.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
      shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
      The Firefly universe would be nice. All you need is a gun, a ship, and open sky. The whole premise of the series is that you will always be free as long as you have that.
      And food. And medical care. And ammunition for the gun, and fuel and spare parts for the ship. All of which take immense amounts of agricultural and industrial infrastructure to produce. And it all has to be organized somehow, or it just isn't going to work. Starting to see the point of those governments, now?

I can't help looking at the Firefly 'verse, and thinking to myself, hmm. On the Alliance worlds, people lead reasonably comfortable lives, even if their government is somewhat suspect - though, mind you, I've seen lots worse; the bulk of the Alliance populace isn't oppressed on a daily basis, and there's at least a suggestion that the government can, ultimately, be held accountable for its unethical actions. Meanwhile, out there on the free frontier, people are fighting each other to the death over scraps of food or medicine, when they can spare the time from being oppressed by the local crime lords. Hmm, I say to myself. Which part would I rather live in?

8b6YIel.png?1
    • Options
      sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
      Star Trek Universe
      What about Freelancer Universe? It seems nice too, especially Liberty space and Kusari.
      FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
      SZ1RgUL.jpg
      SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
    • Options
      starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited October 2015
      Mass Effect Universe

Laser weapons in Firefly are impractical at best. Even allowing that the Lassiter is an antique that doesn't work anymore, Rance Burgess' pistol ran out of power after the equivalent of about ten shots (one eight-second burst, four single shots).

And as far as living in the Alliance? Might want to rethink that: the core worlds are as much of a police state as the TNG-era Romulan Star Empire (or modern-day China): you're only fine as long as you actually like your leaders. And if you live in the outworlds, you're just trading an authoritarian government for practically no government at all. Life is way harder than on, for example, a Federation outworld or even a 40k agri-world like I mentioned earlier: the Alliance will terraform a planet to where it's basically habitable, if your idea of "habitable" is semiarid scrubland, and then just plop down settlers with as little resources as they can get away with and forget 'em. The ones who make it to an early 1900s standard of living are the lucky ones.

And that's before you consider the Reavers, which I'll remind you were the unintended consequence of an Alliance social engineering experiment that also killed ten million people directly. Don't get me wrong: I'm a Browncoat, I love the setting, but for the average citizen the Firefly-verse is a horrible place to live.

By contrast, the Systems Alliance in Mass Effect is basically the Federation, if the Federation lived in a world where it wasn't top dog in its part of the galaxy for the better part of two centuries until the Borg showed up. It's the post-Dominion War realist Federation without having had to go through the Dominion War to get its head yanked out of its TRIBBLE.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • Options
      ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
      Star Trek Universe
      Is that a trick question? Star Trek of course!
    • Options
      Firefly Universe

Yeah, but it's a laser antique and looks silverish.

Laser weapons in Firefly are impractical at best. Even allowing that the Lassiter is an antique that doesn't work anymore, Rance Burgess' pistol ran out of power after the equivalent of about ten shots (one eight-second burst, four single shots).

And as far as living in the Alliance? Might want to rethink that: the core worlds are as much of a police state as the TNG-era Romulan Star Empire (or modern-day China): you're only fine as long as you actually like your leaders. And if you live in the outworlds, you're just trading an authoritarian government for practically no government at all. Life is way harder than on, for example, a Federation outworld or even a 40k agri-world like I mentioned earlier: the Alliance will terraform a planet to where it's basically habitable, if your idea of "habitable" is semiarid scrubland, and then just plop down settlers with as little resources as they can get away with and forget 'em. The ones who make it to an early 1900s standard of living are the lucky ones.

And that's before you consider the Reavers, which I'll remind you were the unintended consequence of an Alliance social engineering experiment that also killed ten million people directly. Don't get me wrong: I'm a Browncoat, I love the setting, but for the average citizen the Firefly-verse is a horrible place to live.

By contrast, the Systems Alliance in Mass Effect is basically the Federation, if the Federation lived in a world where it wasn't top dog in its part of the galaxy for the better part of two centuries until the Borg showed up. It's the post-Dominion War realist Federation without having had to go through the Dominion War to get its head yanked out of its TRIBBLE.

I would't just be living in the Alliance on the core worlds, I'd be a part of them. I'm sure Blue Sun Corporation has openings for people willing to wear silly gloves and hunt down escaped lab rats.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
      takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
      Star Trek Universe
      I'd go with the Trek Universe, because adventuring in the Final Frontier and defending the Federation sound epic. Though Star Wars (Jedi) and Mass Effect hold appeal to me, as well.

Also... you forgot the options to vote for Gundam Universes!!
      76561198160276582.png
    • Options
      What about Freelancer Universe? It seems nice too, especially Liberty space and Kusari.

been there done that, even got to visit sagittarius a* (via the crossfire mod, which i need to remember to update now that they finally released version 2.0)​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
      catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
      Star Trek Universe
      surprisingly id rather be in the harry potter world since, everyone even the most evil badguys goes out of their way not harm or expose themselves to the general public...no other titles characters do this. Power Rangers went the complete opposite, they would fall on at least 3 buildings per episode!
    • Options
      theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
      Game of Thrones Universe

If I lived in the Mass Effect universe, I'd work for Cerberus, someone has to protect the human race
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • Options
        gulberat wrote: »
        catstarsto wrote: »
        surprisingly id rather be in the harry potter world since, everyone even the most evil badguys goes out of their way not harm or expose themselves to the general public...no other titles characters do this. Power Rangers went the complete opposite, they would fall on at least 3 buildings per episode!

Actually by the time Deathly Hallows rolls around, Voldemort's army has no problem with harming "Muggles."

For me, even that term is an example of the casual contempt and discrimination (so ingrained that even good guys, with the exception of Hermione, don't realize they're being bigots) that means I'd want no part of actually living there even though the books are a fun read.

the death eaters never had any problems attacking mundanes (my far less insulting term for the nonmagical population), whether during the first war, second war, or even the peacetime in between (remember the quidditch world cup?)​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
        starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
        edited October 2015
        Mass Effect Universe
        @theraven2378: As with Section 31 in Star Trek, that's the job of legitimate Alliance military officers like Shepard, not a bunch of well-funded xenophobes. And unlike with Section 31 it is made absolutely explicit that Cerberus is not a legitimate organization: their funding comes from being major stockholders of a bunch of megacorps.

@catstarsto: Shadowfang and Gulberat are right: it's made clear mid-series that the Death Eaters do not and never did consider non-magicians off-limits.
        "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
        — Sabaton, "Great War"
        VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
      • Options
        catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
        Star Trek Universe

@catstarsto: Shadowfang and Gulberat are right: it's made clear mid-series that the Death Eaters do not and never did consider non-magicians off-limits.

I never got a chance to see them all, i began to call the series, the never ending story. But fair enough...in that case star trek, i really enjoy science and would jump at an opportunity to learn a level that advanced...and have myself a tidy uniform ^^
        tapestry6.jpg?resize=475%2C363&type=vertical.jpg