Install Arc
Options

Unofficial Literary Challenge #11 Discussion Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    aten66 - Great triple piece from different perspectives and times in leading up to closing the time loop.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Prompt 3. If you can believe it, I got sudden inspiration from this story while watching the video to Katy Perry's Dark Horse. Truly amazing where inspiration can strike from.

Anyhoo, cast list (or at least voices anyway, since none of these would be the actor in costume. maybe motion capture, but not simple prosthetics):

K'hotiim: James Spader
    S'raat: Tony Jay
    S'ag: Jeremy Irons
    Thraak: Victor Caroli
    Srin: Adam Baldwin
    Mafdet: Lizzy Caplan

Also, aten66, really enjoyed that. Especially the bar scene at the end when they all come together.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    <brief google about KP video for grylak's story>

Ah, I see. Interesting and a bit brutal but in a good cause.

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You don't need to google the KP vid, I was just saying what an unlikely source of inspiration this one came from. I knew I wanted K'hotiim for prompt 3, but had zero idea on the story itself. Until it hit me like a bolt while that vid was on the music channel. If you want anything to google for a fuller idea of the story, you should google Mafdet, Bastet and Sobek. :D

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Something I whipped up for Entry 2

Enjoy!

• Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Introducing [post=23875061]Elsewhen: Double Dealing[/post], based on prompt number three.

If you notice any typos please point them out, and I'll make haste to fix them.

@antonine3258, Pretty cool, love that you give the Solanae Sphere some love, doesn't seem to happen to often with the Delta Quadrant at the forefront of a new war. Nice ending as well, and the hand signals, priceless.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Thanks Aten - the Sphere always fascinates me, it's plenty big enough to hide lots of secrets still.

I enjoyed your story - time loops are complicated, and having to face a twisted reflection of a mentor wouldn't be easy.

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Finally finished my entry for Prompt #1, involving my first Delta Recruit, Ch'rowl. Names have been changed to protect the guilty.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    proteusrexproteusrex Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    @jonsills
    I really enjoyed this. Good work. I really liked the quick self-correction regarding the hand/paw, and loved the part about 'the sense they can't fake'. When I write a non-human, I have to try really hard to remember that those little differences can really sell the character. You made if feel natural.

Also, the Dr. Who reference was perfect.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    jonsills - Pretty much agreeing with proteusrex - straightforward but through the filter of a different psychological makeup and enjoyable.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Introducing [post=23965671]Elsewhen: Battle for the Aegis[/post], based on prompt number two. Features how Gregs met Z'yrich, his 'pet' Sehlat, about seven years prior to his first taking command.

Comments always appreciated.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Jonsills: Also 'Spoilers', great choice of wording, and I might have read that in Brent Spiner's voice, before subconsciously switching to the correct River Song voice. Perfectly timed I might add...

eh...

ehhhhh......????

I'll...Just be going on my way....
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Aten66 - I apologize, I'm not sure I understand the title in reference with the story, though I did like the story - Gregs comes through the very difficult situation with aplomb and discretion, and shows a lot of character.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Aten66 - I apologize, I'm not sure I understand the title in reference with the story, though I did like the story - Gregs comes through the very difficult situation with aplomb and discretion, and shows a lot of character.

Sorry, it's a pun of 'Battle for the Ages' Even though it's not pronounced like Ages I couldn't help myself. And the V'shar agent fought a Na'khul agent for protection of the young Aegis member....

I regret deciding on that title last night though....
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    aten66 wrote: »
    Sorry, it's a pun of 'Battle for the Ages' Even though it's not pronounced like Ages I couldn't help myself. And the V'shar agent fought a Na'khul agent for protection of the young Aegis member....

I regret deciding on that title last night though....

Oh, no problem - much more me than you, I didn't sound it out.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    An entry for prompt 3: Better Angels of our Nature

D'ellian again, KDF general, Klingon patriot, and reluctant Orion finds herself seeking justice for a crime that most would prefer to bury.

• Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Fantastic entries , folks :cool: I have something for prompt one in the pipes, but in the meantime, [shamelessplug]any thoughts on this?[/shamelessplug]
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    marucsdkane - 'The Interview' would not be a bad ULC topic - that was a good one.

People are really doing good things with prompt one.

hawku001x- 'Reynolds, I still expect you to catch me a Fek'lhri. Ferra wants to breed them for DOFF assignments."' may be one of my favorite lines of yours ever. It was a goofy, big story and fun.

• Options
    takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Definitely some interesting stories this go around.

Coming up on the start of the next month, though, and that means a new set of prompts. Thinking I might start the ULC this time, so I'll see about figuring out what to use. :D
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the read antonine! Mine turned out way too long. :eek:

Here are pics of Reynolds and Iviok.

And here is the link to this ULC's Star Trek Expanded Universe article.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Kathryn's pet finds interesting things on the ship ... or does he?

Enjoy!

Cast for crew:
    Kathryn Beringer - Rachel Nichols
    Bur'ar - David Ramsey
    Vivan Warshawski - Megan Hilty
    Mallory Aralla – Alexandra Daddario
    Jim Bushel – Jason Ritter
    Engig – Scott Caan
    Carter – Rick Cosnett
    Tras – Peter Dinklage
    Hector - Nebelung, mannerisms from my own cat

Mentioned but not seen:
    Thel Ythysi - Kevin Sorbo
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    cmdrscarlet - that was really cute!

• Options
    takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Very cute, Scarlet. :D
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Kathryn's pet finds interesting things on the ship ... or does he?

Enjoy!

Cast for crew:
    Kathryn Beringer - Rachel Nichols
    Bur'ar - David Ramsey
    Vivan Warshawski - Megan Hilty
    Mallory Aralla – Alexandra Daddario
    Jim Bushel – Jason Ritter
    Engig – Scott Caan
    Carter – Rick Cosnett
    Tras – Peter Dinklage
    Hector - Nebelung, mannerisms from my own cat

Mentioned but not seen:
    Thel Ythysi - Kevin Sorbo
    Fantastic entry, and a really unique way to view shipboard life :cool:
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Thank you for reading :D With a promotion at work it took me literally three weeks to craft this one out. If it matters, Kathryn has the cat as a pet in-game too!