test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial Literary Challenge #11 Discussion Thread

moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Ten Forward
This is the discussion thread for ULC #11: Delta Recruit .

As usual, be honest and polite, please.

Entries thread http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=23651981#post23651981.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
Post edited by moonshadowdark on

Comments

• antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This should be a fun set. :)

All look tempting. And my DR is a Pakled, that'd be fun to dialog out.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Oh my. These are all.... actually quite brilliant plots. I just need to come up with the stories.

Hmmmm. K'hotiim for the first one, Arwen and Snowflake for the second.... D'Elon would have been perfect for the 3rd, but I closed her story. I'm sure I can conjur up something.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ch'rowl gets the first prompt - unsurprisingly, I started writing the story a few days ago. :)

The third one might go to one of my Roms - perhaps Kehel, the half-Romulan/half-Reman commander of RRW Rea's Helm, one of the least military ships in the Republic Fleet...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for posting this one, moonshadowdark. I would've done it myself but I lost a couple weeks on leveling Tyria and I'm trying to make up for lost time.

None of my current characters fit prompt #1 because going from a fourth-year cadet to a fleet admiral in 18 months is frankly bullsh*t of the highest order for any number of reasons (primarily that you can't learn how to command men in a classroom). The only reason it makes any sense for the Republic or Klingons is because they're respectively short on manpower and rely on killing your boss to get his job. It's complete and utter hogwash for Starfleet: Even making captain in thirteen years (Tyria Sark, per "The Silence Ends") is fast. Plus, the entire Delta Recruit storyline represents several colossal Temporal Prime Directive violations.

None of my captains keep pets aboard either.

Number three, though, I was considering using this month myself. Not entirely sure where to take it or who to use (it'd be Eleya or Morgan, though), but I could definitely do something with it after I finish Brokosh's "In the Beginning" piece for the redux.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited May 2015
  • takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Interesting prompts this time.

STILL need to finish my Ibis/Sleigh piece from ULC9 Prompt 3 (which will go in the redux), but I might see about getting to this one if I have time.

Only one I can see working for Prompt 1 is my KDF Delta, not only because of how Klingons work, but because as the youngest daughter of a minor house, she would have the drive to progress that far in such a short time.

Prompt 2... well, one of my captains has a tropical bird from Risa - might see what I can do there.

Prompt 3 is definitely interesting. Will need to think on it.
    76561198160276582.png
    edited May 2015
    I'd been thinking of prompt 2 - there's always the Rura Penthe targ if I can't think of anything else to use for a pet.

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Fantastic prompts! I may write something for each, although I understand that only one could be entered. I'm sure my Rommie would like to tell everybody a story of her epohh ;)

Just a question from a noob: What are the other "usual rules" beside "nothing NSFW, one story per author per prompt." I see only "etc." in the older threads that are linked.
    edited May 2015
    guljarol wrote: »
    Just a question from a noob: What are the other "usual rules" beside "nothing NSFW, one story per author per prompt." I see only "etc." in the older threads that are linked.

Well, I based the rules for the first unofficial challenge on those for the official challenges that the community managers used to do. (I miss BranFlakes. :() Basically, steer clear of TOS violations (that got one of Worffan101's official challenge entries deleted about a year back) and don't troll are the only other rules. Common sense stuff.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited May 2015
    guljarol wrote: »
    Fantastic prompts! I may write something for each, although I understand that only one could be entered.

You can do one for each. It's one entry for each prompt, so you can do 1 entry for the first idea, one entry for the second and one entry for the third.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    edited May 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    Well, I based the rules for the first unofficial challenge on those for the official challenges that the community managers used to do. (I miss BranFlakes. :() Basically, steer clear of TOS violations (that got one of Worffan101's official challenge entries deleted about a year back) and don't troll are the only other rules. Common sense stuff.

Get it. Thanks :)
    grylak wrote: »
    You can do one for each. It's one entry for each prompt, so you can do 1 entry for the first idea, one entry for the second and one entry for the third.

Aaah! :D
    edited May 2015
    I've got a short piece written for the first one, but I think I'll add a little more emotional side to it before I post it.

Also decided #2 is actually a perfect place to write a deleted scene from the last Talaina story.

edited May 2015
    hawku001x: Man, that almost took 'self sabotaging' to the level of an art form. :)

edited May 2015
    Haha, thanks. :D It was fun playing with losing sight of the fact the person you were talking to was "you", and then taking out revenge on them.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yeah Hawk, that was funny stuff. Several one-liners I need to hold onto for posterity.
    edited May 2015
    Posted one. After seeing his performance in Age of Ultron, I have to cast James Spader as K'hotiim.

edited May 2015
    Grylak: Ah, a drunken (time) bender.

Nice piece for granting aspirations where a character thought they were at the end of the line.

edited May 2015
    A deleted scene from the last Talaina story. This prompt gave me the chance to expand it out into something proper. As such, it takes place about 10 minutes after she left Mrs. Worlds house.

Thanks Antionine. Maybe it really happened. Maybe it was just a drunken dream. But it certainly lit a fire under his feet. Oh, and the destruction of the Solanae sphere that future K'hotiim mentioned happened in LC 61: The Final battle. I'm trying to synch my universe up with STO a bit more (though the Borg have still exterminated all Queens and returned to their true early TNG form. That is something I shall never change).

edited May 2015
    I vote she names the kitty Jenna. Very sweet, grylak.

And Hawku? Hilarious as usual.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited May 2015
    grylak wrote: »

Thanks Antionine. Maybe it really happened. Maybe it was just a drunken dream. But it certainly lit a fire under his feet.

True, I liked the aura of uncertainty. I was figuring it did, but he might not know.

Also - this piece with the kitten was cute.

edited May 2015
    @hawku001x: HAHAHA!! I love your wonderful satiring of the in game missions.

Thanks starswordc. I was going to name it Simba, since that's what I named her in game cat. But Jenna would actually be a really touching tribute. I'm sure no one would mind a male cat with a female name. I may do that.

edited May 2015
    "thank the ice for that." What a wonderful saying for an Andorian! :D

Loved the story, too. I'm a sucker for such rescue stories :)
    edited May 2015
    Heh. I've had her use that saying a couple of times in the past. Not being overly familiar with Andorian theology, I figured this was a suitable replacement. Here's hoping Talaina and the cat can rescue each other.

edited May 2015
    Guljarol - This is really sweet.

Karameth's habitat assembly problems, man have I been there.....

edited May 2015
    Thanks. :)

The pet part based a bit on my RL experience, but the assembly? When I bought a set of IKEA furniture, the best part was assembling it all together :D
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Awww, that really seems a lot like how I adopted my kitties, by letting them approach me to see what was going to happen. :)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    @ grylak - Not enough Gorn work from us I think. That was well done and damn I hate temporal shenanigans. The cat piece was cute too! Almost inspirational. :)

@ guljarol - Very nice lead up. Been there and done that, even though I consider myself to be a "Master Builder". I guess that could only ever apply to LEGOs though ...
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the reads, all. These ULCs actually make playing STO more fun for me. Would be nice to have LCs back (for maximum cake).

@grylak - Enjoyed the chilled out Gorn. Nice rescue story too. (Can you name your pets in-game?)

@guljarol - Just got a dose of cuteness.
    edited May 2015
    hawku001x wrote: »
    @grylak - Enjoyed the chilled out Gorn. Nice rescue story too. (Can you name your pets in-game?)

Not officially. But you can easily just call it that name. Talaina's cat in game is Simba, Arwen's winter Eppoh is called Snowflake and Emony's Horta is Jeff. Though I don't consider Horta's pets, but rather members of the crew given the level of intelligence demonstrated in the TOS episode. I've met a couple of people in game who 'unofficially' give their in game pets names as well.

@guljarol: Heh, nicely written. I especially loved the part where she was letting the Eppohs come to her and waiting to see what happened.

@cmdrscarlet: I figured there were only 2 ways to make the Delta Rising thing work. Either alot of time messing, or it's an hallucination. So I went with a mix of both. At least by inferring the timeline is already being altered, it gives that wibbly wobbly-ness of the short time of advancement.

• aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Been awhile guys, here's my entry for prompt number 1.

[post=23785431] A Man, a (Nearly) Monster, and a (Former) Demi-God Walk into a Bar... [/post]
    Please review, I have to leave for tonight. Always enjoy reading on the fly.