Install Arc
Options

Tales of the War #1

Comments

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    drreverend wrote: »
    People can live a long time in the 25th Century. 100 is the new 50.

im looking at it from Mccoys situation, he was 130 years of age, very frail looking, he was an admiral as well and he couldnt keep up and he had perfect health for most of his life. its the only reference i got to work with.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    "You know, I remember when you had this job," Quinn said. "And I was on the other side of this desk asking you for a favor."

Well that was unexpected :)

Never would have thought that Paris once outranked Quinn.
  • Options
    canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I liked Guroth. In my head, my character's reaction to him asking if we knew what happened when you crammed five quantum torpedoes into one shell was that I really wanted to find out. :D

When I actually processed what Guroth said I squeed. Like, literally made a squee sound. Then I was like "I want him! DOFF, BOFF, I don't care, I want this guy in my crew!"
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So basically Tom Paris is the second coming of James T. Kirk.
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Forgive me, but what war are you talking about?

I gotta say it doesn't feel like we are at war. I flew all over Sector Space in the Alpha and Beta quadrants. I saw no invasion fleets. I didn't get jumped by Iconians (like in the old old days when enemy contacts in Sector Space drew you into combat).

All this hype, and honestly it feels no different than it did the day before the patch.

I'd call this the Iconian Skirmish....but definitely not the Iconian War.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    amavaramavar Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    iczeramc wrote: »
    Nice, are we going to get more stories between Eps from now on?
    And will there be a way to view stuff like this in game?
    Because I'm worried that before long this will get lost in all the other STO news on the main site.

+1

Hear Hear!! We need more of these and an in-game viewer too!!
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    amavar wrote: »
    +1

Hear Hear!! We need more of these and an in-game viewer too!!
    To everyone clamoring for more stories, we got you covered.

There's actually going to be an entire series of these called the Tales of War, that will chronicle the war as it progresses. Something I've always been a strong advocate of is the persistent "background lore" that helps add to the total universe. It fills out the stories, giving more weight and understanding.

After all, you know a little bit more about Quinn and Paris.

Once the team gets the tagging system fixed, the ideal situation is to search through tags for TalesOfWar on ARC. The search function is a little whacky dhacky though, so it might take a little bit to get that settled. This is something very enjoyable, and we want to make sure ya'll get em! :)
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There's actually going to be an entire series of these called the Tales of War, that will chronicle the war as it progresses. Something I've always been a strong advocate of is the persistent "background lore" that helps add to the total universe. It fills out the stories, giving more weight and understanding.

This is relevant to my interests.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    nexurulernexuruler Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I saw the premonition class...
    Been a user of Perfect World Entertainment since 2009.
  • Options
    kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited April 2015

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I liked Guroth. In my head, my character's reaction to him asking if we knew what happened when you crammed five quantum torpedoes into one shell was that I really wanted to find out. :D

My response in my head for my toon was "Well let me go back to my ship grab one of those unstable romulan hyper torps i got and we can try your idea with that.....should be fun" :D

I wish one of my boffs were like guroth :)
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    nexuruler wrote: »

Say what? You saw the ship from Armada?
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Please give us Guroth as a special Iconian War BOff with a Maximum Yield Torpedo...it would be so much fun! :eek: :cool:
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    nexuruler wrote: »

They should've turned one of the saucers into a Waldo head (still greyscale, though, so it blends in), just for giggles. :D
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Once the team gets the tagging system fixed, the ideal situation is to search through tags for TalesOfWar on ARC. The search function is a little whacky dhacky though, so it might take a little bit to get that settled. This is something very enjoyable, and we want to make sure ya'll get em! :)

For more clamoring sake. There have been a lot of story items in the past when new episodes were released over the years.

Would it be possible to collect all of them over the years and add them into the mission journal screen as a side button to read if some one chooses.

When I look at the Delta recruits and how many new characters and people there are they may not be able to easily go though years of arc news or items from before arc to get the more indepth story.

When you have a story item like this from wayback when and where it is listed, these story items become buried over time with other tech notes and system explanations that are already obsoletes and the true gems are buried.

Please track them down and get them in game. At the very least if not with the story missions in the data recorder for us to read and look up with a timeframe given so we know where it belongs.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Adding the old fiction to the data recorder as missions are done wouldn't be a bad use for it.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Would be nice if they removed the rank name from the level requirements for ships, and just made it a title, so players could just pick where they want their character to be.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015

dunno why you dont get geko to create an ingame library, lore and background archive for everything explored, killed or analysed over your time, and relevant stuff on the game, species and so on, put some real hard background to the game. its better then just writing these things up that get ignored before long.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    ammianusammianus Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Can we please get this poster in high-res?
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I gotta say it doesn't feel like we are at war. I flew all over Sector Space in the Alpha and Beta quadrants. I saw no invasion fleets. I didn't get jumped by Iconians (like in the old old days when enemy contacts in Sector Space drew you into combat).

All this hype, and honestly it feels no different than it did the day before the patch.

That's because there are new players who haven't gotten there yet. :)

This is good news! I look forward to the next entries.

On a related note, is it possible the Path to 2409 could someday return to the main site? That lore is what attracted me to STO in the first place.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited April 2015

Oh man.. You have no clue how much I love you right now trendy... Thanks for the series! I love it... Kudos.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Very cool news! Please thank the team, this is good stuff and I can't wait for more.
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Oh man.. You have no clue how much I love you right now trendy... Thanks for the series! I love it... Kudos.
    I'm sorry, I'm already married...

TO MY PASSION!
  • Options
    lblackmoorlblackmoor Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So, when do we get a Guroth bridge officer with Super High Yield Torpedo? :D

I'd settle just for a Super High Yield Torpedo manual. Like High Yield Torpedo, only it makes your cooldown on your torpedoes even longer in exchange for higher damage.

Heh... Five bucks, it's the klingon pilot ship trait.
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Isn't Adm. Quinn a Trill? Maybe his previous host (say 6 or 7 years ago) was a Starfleet Lt. serving under Tom. When the host died, the worm got planted into an Admiral. Seems more plausible than Tom being hyperpromoted.
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rekurzion wrote: »
    Wait, isn't this the same Admiral Quinn from TNG? The one who was taken over by the Bluegill in the first season? I thought it was. But if so that means Quinn been an Admiral for a long time.

The TNG Quinn was Gregory Quinn, a human. Our Quinn is Jorel Quinn, a Trill.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So, when do we get a Guroth bridge officer with Super High Yield Torpedo?

I'd settle just for a Super High Yield Torpedo manual. Like High Yield Torpedo, only it makes your cooldown on your torpedoes even longer in exchange for higher damage.

Super High Yield Torpedo: Does triple the damage of High Yield Torpedo but has a 33% chance of detonation on launch, resulting in damage equal to High Yield Torpedo on the bare hull of your ship. :D

Anyways, I like these Tales of the War mini snippets. Next up, the Paris family joins Captain Kim in the adventure of a lifetime as they take on an ancient adversary in Captain Proton: The Return of the Six-Eyed Demons!
    m12Pkoj.png
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm sorry, I'm already married...

TO MY PASSION!

You're married to Coffee and Bacon?:eek::D;):D
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited April 2015

It's called gameplay-story segregation.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hopefully they'll add a new episode soon.
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series