test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will Delta Recruits be Tovan Khev Free?

grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Since its a parallel storyline, will Delta Recruits be free from having to listen to Tovan bark orders while you play a minor character in HIS story and then be forced to keep him for all time?
[SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
Post edited by grnlbrtnfrnt on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,026 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Probably not. He's an integral character to the Romulan storyline until after Numbus III.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ROFL - I should never underestimate the hate for Tovan Khev!

I'd love to see him changed to be an optional Boff, who could be dismissed outright. Can't stand that guy!

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I kinda want to make a foundry mission where he gets stabbed, electrocuted, set on fire, then blown out an airlock.

Not that I have a problem with him, I just find all the hate amusing, lol.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    rgzarcherrgzarcher Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ROFL - I should never underestimate the hate for Tovan Khev!

I'd love to see him changed to be an optional Boff, who could be dismissed outright. Can't stand that guy!

I never had a problem with him. Never got what all the hate was for. To me the Romulan boff crew reminded me a bit of Mass Effect, still it was cool to have a boof that actually spoke.

I think to this day all the hate was simply due to him not having Superior Rom Operative. If he had it you wouldnt hear any complaints.
    "Why all the sales"?

And a merry freaking Christmas to you too, Ebenezer.
    -jonsills, 'Cryptic Why the sales..instead of Fixing XP leveling and this game?'
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Since its a parallel storyline, will Delta Recruits be free from having to listen to Tovan bark orders while you play a minor character in HIS story and then be forced to keep him for all time?

Dude - Tovan Kehv is the TRIBBLE of STO... if you get him, you have him for life!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    rgzarcher wrote: »
    I never had a problem with him. Never got what all the hate was for. To me the Romulan boff crew reminded me a bit of Mass Effect, still it was cool to have a boof that actually spoke.

I think to this day all the hate was simply due to him not having Superior Rom Operative. If he had it you wouldnt hear any complaints.
    Soem people feel steals the spotlight from the player.

And for fans of the TNG-onwards Romulans, he can be a really annoying reminder of how much Cryptic's Republic deviates from the Romulans of that era. Like an annoying Mascot.

And he has a stupid tattoo. :D

His lack of Sup Rom Op is only one of so many lovely reasons to push him out an airlock.
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Yeah, it's weird to me too. I honestly think that the Fed tutorial BO is by far the worst.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Mmm, more tears to consume! Tonight...I FEAST!
  • Options
    rgzarcherrgzarcher Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited March 2015

And for fans of the TNG-onwards Romulans, he can be a really annoying reminder of how much Cryptic's Republic deviates from the Romulans of that era. Like an annoying Mascot.

His lack of Sup Rom Op is only one of so many lovely reasons to push him out an airlock.

Ah yes, steals the spotlight from the Heroic Mime...

But the Romulans we saw there were only a minority. You cant judge an entire race just for how a handfull of them are. I can think of 50 humans off the top of my head I wuld *not* want an alien race to judge humanity by.

Tattoo is removable...

You admited it, after everything else, its the lack of Sub Op ;P
    "Why all the sales"?

And a merry freaking Christmas to you too, Ebenezer.
    -jonsills, 'Cryptic Why the sales..instead of Fixing XP leveling and this game?'
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    teknesia wrote: »
    Yeah, it's weird to me too. I honestly think that the Fed tutorial BO is by far the worst.

I don't mind her either, heck I even went to the academy to get her for my old-tutorial era Eng ... I do wish I could set it to only show her first name though, kinda annoying that shes the only one of my boffs with their full name over their head.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Actually, I have a lot of hope that this being a parallel story means Republic recruits can be spared Tovan Khev. Cryptic knows only too well how disliked he is, and toned down the concept of "BOff is a character" with Flores and K'Gan, so not only do they know, but they responded to that knowledge. Presumably, Delta Recruits will have new tutorials and stories sufficiently different from the originals that we can do without STO's least liked Romulan.
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Where is all that Tovan hate coming from? Sure he is annoying, but srsly, with all those game breaking bugs, balance issues and p2w TRIBBLE, Tovan is really my least problem right after uniform clipping errors...
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    sirmayday wrote: »
    Actually, I have a lot of hope that this being a parallel story means Republic recruits can be spared Tovan Khev. Cryptic knows only too well how disliked he is, and toned down the concept of "BOff is a character" with Flores and K'Gan, so not only do they know, but they responded to that knowledge. Presumably, Delta Recruits will have new tutorials and stories sufficiently different from the originals that we can do without STO's least liked Romulan.

If they got rid of Tovan Kehv and didn't address major plot elements that get left behind, I'd be really pissed. Plus, I love that he added a more personal element to the story. I'm sorry, but I'm on the other fence of this issue. If anything, they could offer up an LoR full of more plot holes left behind by the disappearance of Tovan.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Tovan Khev is really Batman. And the player is the latest Robin. The idea wasn't bad, having an active BOff to assist with learning the new faction (half faction, actually). The execution was badly flawed however. Tovan's quest to find Rinna took over right from the start and reduced my char to sidekick status. And when I found her, I then transferred to being D'Tan's sidekick. How's that for character progression and development?

LoR was and remains the best expansion to this game. The only flaw was Tovan Khev and my inability to either get him to shut up and follow orders or fire him out the nearest airlock. Here's hoping they remember this and don't pull a repeat.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Ah yes, steals the spotlight from the Heroic Mime...

In other words, the player.
    But the Romulans we saw there were only a minority. You cant judge an entire race just for how a handfull of them are. I can think of 50 humans off the top of my head I wuld *not* want an alien race to judge humanity by.

By that same logic, the Federation might as well be full of homicidal drug-addled psycopaths, and most Klingons could actually be pacifist vegetarians- since we only ever saw a minority:rolleyes:

Or we could just consider for a moment that the vast majority of their depictions on every Trek show post-TOS just might be indicative of some broader cultural norms.
    Tattoo is removable...
    Which is the first thing I did when I got him :D
    You admited it, after everything else, its the lack of Sub Op ;P

I included it as one of the many reasons one might not like him. I don't mind him that much for that reason, because I have more than enough VR Romulan/Reman Boffs with far better traits.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Hehe; you're right, I now realize why I hate him so: he reminds me of Kaidan Alenko, another annoyingly calm do-gooder that just gets under my skin, every time he opens his mouth!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Hehe; you're right, I now realize why I hate him so: he reminds me of Kaidan Alenko, another annoyingly calm do-gooder that just gets under my skin, every time he opens his mouth!

Now that you mention it, I had never made that connection but I have to agree, they definitely have a similar personality...

Personally, I don't understand all the hate for Tovan... He may not be an ideal Space Boff, but he's pretty handy as part of an away team, just give him a Plasma pulsewave, minigun or Borg arm weapon...

Something that Cryptic should perhaps consider, since he cannot be deleted, give Romulan players a free Boff slot to accommodate him?
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2015

One that you can remove in the Tailor, too...
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015

when you get him at the tailor... that's when you find out he doesn't actually have romulan fetures and is mostly human. the art dept here seems to think you stick some pointy ears on someone and they are romulan. Kirk looked more Romulan.
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Read three above you.

That complaint was meant to be taken jokingly....:rolleyes:

Though I do think his default look really makes him look like quite a goof.
  • Options
    gamer940gamer940 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I for one hope that there ends up at least being an option to still get him. Personally, I like Tovan and I like Elisa.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    gamer940 wrote: »
    I for one hope that there ends up at least being an option to still get him. Personally, I like Tovan and I like Elisa.
    You can get Elisa and K'gan on characters that didn't go through the revamped tutorials by talking to an NPC. I would expect that players would get something like that if Tovan was to made optional.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    prierin wrote: »
    Dude - Tovan Kehv is the TRIBBLE of STO... if you get him, you have him for life!

rather have a wife of my own choosing, not some ultra creepy man pretending to be... a wife. :P

id sooner throw tovan out of an airlock, i wouldnt want that ball and chain attached to my foot everytime i try do something.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited March 2015
    most Feds and Klingons would love him for a free BO
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    folks dont like him cause he is annoying as hell... he also butts into everything. heck even if I dont put him on the away team he still pops up...

He just eats up too much of the scenery and way to much dialogue... seems like he is the main character and not your toon. The story is just poorly written/executed.

also his traits suck and folks dont like having him due to it... maybe if they gave me SRO and SS for space traits... heck give him Sup Veteran & Sup Space Warefare as well so folks will shut up about wishing to get rid of him.

BTW the parallel missions will just be additional mission objectives that you need to do on each mission... collect something or flip some switch etc...
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I kinda want to make a foundry mission where he gets stabbed, electrocuted, set on fire, then blown out an airlock.

As long as we get to kill him right after that.

I'm with you--I don't understand the hate. I don't think the story line is his. either. The story line is about your character struggling to come to terms with the destruction of Virinat and exacting revenge on Hakeev.

As to whether or not he's especially good as a bridge officer--I pay that sort of thing no mind at all. The game plays the same to me either way.
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    For me it's because having him ruins my Boff themes, and his presence takes up a boff slot I could be using with a boff I actually want.

*sigh*

Another person for whom a clown, and a pony, and two cakes is still not enough.

If you have "Boff themes" you're taking the game far too seriously. You should get a hobby, or maybe get out and meet some people.
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    K, I put up with this mail order marriage for long enough, you got what you paid for, and for $2.99 and free delivery I was clearly was a bargain you'll never see again on Ebay, I do still like you but I taking half of everything.

* lifts up the hems of his dress, climbs back into his box and sulks *

hahaha.

10c.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Yes, they will.

If they play a Federation or a KDF character.

:p
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.