What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ask Cryptic (October 27, 2008)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    <---- not too concerned about the goat, no.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Snowflake can go and have a great life, without me! :p
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Meh.
    After struggling through question after question from people who want to read the design documents rather then wait for the game's release, ya need some kind of comic relief.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I look forward to see the factions Dominion & Romulan empires in the game. Also I'm eager to control a ship from the inside on a bridge along the crewmates.

The goat still looks great!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    We’re still trying to get in touch with Snowflake to talk about likeness rights. Her agent has not been returning our phone calls.

I'm thinking his Goat ate the phone. Better check to see if his tummy is ringing! lol

I have a small concern about the creature creator. Creating other species. By the sounds of his comment. It sounds like you can create a Klingon looking species and put it in the Federation. So in other words there is work around. I like the possiblities but it may break down the factional destinctness that Cryptic has worked hard trying to create.

Though I do think it would be awesome to see a Guild create awhole new species and require all guild members to make their characters similar to create a whole new playable race for ppl to play. If they choose to join. Sounds interesting. I'm interested on how far ppl with take this. or abuse it :(
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well yeah goodie to have again some good info :)
    Very good character customization is excellent!

Very good to hear also that ship control is not just click and move style..But better :)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    But really, was anyone actually curious about this goat thing?:confused:

Goat thing? How many rediculous assumptions about the game have we beat to death around here? Cryptic shares with us about the games they are making, and behold, the trolls sing their two favorite songs:

1. This is Bad, Bad, Bad...
    2. We want more, more, more....

This thread is Flamebait with a capital F. But worse than that, people have no respect to share a little inside joke. Goats are cool... face it and get over it. The fact that we know Cryptic staff ribs Craig about a goat is there for our amusement. Until some creep ruins it. It's those that ruin it for everyone that make me ashamed of our crowd. Some call it elitist, some just think it's ego. I guess because we need an excuse when we find out an actual adult acts this way. But, by example, you can surely see that it is just immature, anti-social behavior.

Countless other fan groups, from all walks of life, have hardly a single member that would think of slithering to the lows of Star Trek Trolls. Frankly, they aren't really loyal Star Trek fans, they fell into it. Like the punk kids in online games...

If it wasn't the Federation flag they were waving, they would find some other group to plague with their anti-social behavior.

I was curious about the Goat... does that make me some kind of game killer?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Goat?? Maybe I haven't been flowing..

I think good questions that were answered were, "Will there be Klingons in SF (and vise versa)" and they talked a little bit about the character creator. Overall it was kind of Blahh though :[

Also good to hear Romulan and Dominion Empires will not be ignored.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Every little bit more info helps to fill in more and more of the puzzle. This is excruciating waiting though. hehe

Thanks for another instalment, and please more more more.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Thanks Cryptic! Though I hope were not throwing away questions on comedy like Craigs Goat!

I want all the early details I can get!

My next question is on character geneation. I can create any race I want for my captain. But what about my crew? Can I establish what race they are and customize them too?

Or do I have a preselection of crew or senior staff members that I choose?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    if I expect cryptic to put up with my practical jokes, or fleet/forum members to put up with my silly sense of humor.....

then I can put up with the goat thing...

This thread is close to a flame thread, I think people should avoid it...
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sounds great. Keep it coming guys :)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It is very nice to get some new information! Thank you very much for posting this!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I really didn't mind the reference to the goat and I can definitely see it becoming a sort of in-joke among the Star Trek Online community for years to come.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    don't these type of threads always get closed?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    thank you for the info
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Im sitting in the forums today and im asking myself? is this thread actually relevant to the game? it seems you are full of contradictions, you are curious about the goat thing, yet you dont want to hear about said goat in that Q&A..... what is it you actually want lad?

if the goat was irrelevant as you seem to think it is then why does it warrant a thread started by yourself to validate this irrelevancy.

this thread reply was brought to you by the letters S N O W F L A K E I S A G O A and T...... The numbers 6 and 9 and ME.
    :cool:
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I didn't get the goat thing either but hey whatever makes people laugh. People shouldn't take things so seriously, it's just a bit of fun :)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Seriously, lighten up a little.

Obviously the joke was the Cryptic team's little effort to help develop a community feeling around here. Inside jokes like that are what it's all made of. We all want new information, but geez. The difference between a civilized person and a barbarian is the civilized person can WAIT to get what he wants. Patience. And lets try not to be huge jerks to the devs or the web team making our game, What say?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Snowflake! I knew it.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Wow, very interesting answer on the ship control question. I wonder if the normal WASD controls will be used and if a joystick is possible.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Who picked that question? I didn't even remember anything about a goat. Is this something people have actually been curious about? I'd like to be able to attack the whole article, but there were actually some great questions answered(ship control, cross-species creation). But really, was anyone actually curious about this goat thing?:confused:
    If your really that in need of someone to attack then go ahead and pin it on me. I made the question I put it in my post infact it was only 1 of 2 questions I posted.

Keldaria wrote: »
    Will a Mention of Craigs Goat be in STO ether in a rare mob or random quest?
    Post Located Here

However what differance does it make. I'm not ashamed they picked it and I actually feel abit honored to be lucky enough to have 1 of my questions answered in the last 2 ask cryptics but are we all so wound up tight on this board that we can't sit back and laugh at a joke or 2 that comes up along the way. Seriously tho this is supposed to be a game. Games are supposed to be fun. I'm not quite sure why people are making this into a life or death senario with the utermost seriousness.

Beyond that I have a feeling the goat question was just a replacement when they couldn't get the permission to answer the other question they wanted to answer in time. Notice my other question was about beta start time. While I don't expect anyone else to feel this way but I'm feeling they probibly were tring to get the ok from upper management to release a genaric date for beta start since we all know they are getting closer by the day and likely already have a date in mind but the higher ups probibly siad no on that answer after taking 3 weeks to discuss it and they stuck that one in as a replacement cause it was fast and easy and they already had us waiting 3 weeks.

But hey read into it as much as you like and relax alittle, This is an internet forum after all and sometimes we tend to all get abit silly. Flame me as much as you like but leave the people at cryptic outta it, they held up their end of the bargin and answered questions put forth.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Joy stick would b ineresting,good info though!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I am starting a Snowflake activists rights movement "all those for Snowflake follow me!".

No, really I thought the interview was great, to me it's just getting better and better...
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    i'm just not a goat fan.. sure they make fun jokes....

ok so they dont make fun jokes, unless you...errr nevermind.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    dwarner wrote: »
    Seriously, lighten up a little.

Obviously the joke was the Cryptic team's little effort to help develop a community feeling around here. Inside jokes like that are what it's all made of. We all want new information, but geez. The difference between a civilized person and a barbarian is the civilized person can WAIT to get what he wants. Patience. And lets try not to be huge jerks to the devs or the web team making our game, What say?

Exactly.

Why are some people so worked up over a little joke? Are people claiming that the goat question took up another question that could've been answered? If that's the case then, lets look at it a little bit closer. Cryptic answers which questions they choose to answer. If the goat question were not there, then you would have every single question you see there minus the goat question. I am happy that Cryptic answered a light-hearted question, and I also thank the poster who put up the question.

So in reality, we shouldn't really be looking at whether or not we care about the goat thing. We should be looking at how Cryptic Studio treats its community, and for me, they're treating us quite well. If you remember the Perpetual days, how long did it take for an update? By just throwing in a funny factoid about the goat like that, Cryptic shows the community that they too are just people and enjoy having a good time. Don't you want people who have a good time making your games for you?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I think that the question was just fine, and it's nice to see that they're willing to inject a bit of the human side of things, and add a little humour to the proceedings. In fact I think it bodes well that they're having a bit of fun with each other, and sharing it with us. To me that's a valuable piece of info right there.

I'd hate to think there's a bunch of people working on this game that have no sense of fun.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I am amazed at the amount of info cryptic is giving us so early on. Anyone know a ball park figure of how many people visit this website? im guessing that it's a big, and info hungry, community ... and i love it :D
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Who picked that question? I didn't even remember anything about a goat. Is this something people have actually been curious about? I'd like to be able to attack the whole article, but there were actually some great questions answered(ship control, cross-species creation). But really, was anyone actually curious about this goat thing?:confused:

If that's not looking for things to complain about then I don't know what is. Trying to start a flame war isn't a very bright idea.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Thanks Cryptic. Great info on the Character creator and the hand to hand combat part