test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Three New Screenshots! (October 9, 2008)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    LordDave wrote: »
    Will I be able to have a purple haired human? Because that would be absolutely sweet, even though it breaks canon.

Would it have to break cannon? There are plenty of time's humans have married other races and their kids look different. Just have a back story for your toon to explain the purple hair ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Will I be able to have a purple haired human?

they don't have hair dye in the future? :)

screen shots look awesome thanks, now what we all want eta on release date :D
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I really like those character models, if those are in game shots iam impressed and i said it before that the others that we saw were only early creations. Though iam really impressed!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    dmckey wrote: »
    they don't have hair dye in the future? :)

screen shots look awesome thanks, now what we all want eta on release date :D

They do, but as a star fleet officer, body modification is against star fleet policy.

ensen Roe Loren had to remove here bajorin ear piece on the enterprise wile in uniform. so I'm sure Star fleet would frown upon died hair.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Will I be able to have a purple haired human? Because that would be absolutely sweet, even though it breaks canon.

Maybe pointy ears too... :)
    /sarcasm_off
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Razor wrote:

Very good looking! Almost makes me wish Champions had that look now :)
    I remembered the Gorn to be much more "beast-like"... was there a cannon change or is that a creative/technical choice?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Razor wrote:
    We've added three new screenshots to our gallery! Included is a detailed look at some of the character customization possibilities that will be available in Star Trek Online.

See them in our gallery!

Thank you.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Falin wrote: »
    Funny all but one of hose characters looks like a 10-14 yr old boy, the other looks like a 10-14 yr old girl, are we seeing the games targeted demographics here?

going by what you said, this would be the Demographic:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f1/Herbert_(Family_Guy).JPG

Hello, Mike Wallace, Dateline NBC...
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    These are great. Now I would like to see the uniform customization that was talked about.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, I'm impressed. Those character shots were better than I expected. Looking forward to seeing more.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I like how the character models are all obvious variations on a baseline female face. It shows, to my eye, that there are a wide array of creation possibilities even for players who choose not to go too far off the default looks. Diversity, even at the "conservative" end of the spectrum, bodes well.

Thank you!

KOS
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    frojoe2004 wrote: »
    They do, but as a star fleet officer, body modification is against star fleet policy.

ensen Roe Loren had to remove here bajorin ear piece on the enterprise wile in uniform. so I'm sure Star fleet would frown upon died hair.

Respectfully, by 2409 I don't think purple-dyed hair would be considered "body modification" or even anything rebellious. Given all the races and looks out there in the galaxy, it would just be another acceptable variation.

Beverley Crusher "went blonde" in Star Trek: First Contact, after all. Purple hair, by this time, would probably be seen as "just another color".

I wouldn't be surprised if, by 2409, the Bajoran ear pieces are also allowed. Since they are unobtrusive, and also very important to Bajoran social/religious identity, I can see them being accomodated -- the same way Sikh turbans are accomodated by my local police force, here in North America. The earrings are hardly as noticeable as Riker's beard :D

But hey, I've been wrong before ... ;-)

KOS
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Gorgeous! Now I'm even more excited for this game. I loved the character customization screenshot. Very beautiful! SO EXCITED!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Calvert wrote: »
    Nice charakters but in my opinion the hair could be improved. Looks a bit like gum yet but if it'll not be improved, I can live with the current quality.

I have to join here. The face, color scheme and eyes are well done. The hair is not good enough. Especially the Vulcan woman in bottom left looks like she wears a Playmobil plastic hair bit. Please give the hair more attention, I really dislike engines which create a "plastic" look.

Apart from that, well done. Can we see animation studies in one of the next videos please? Do you plan to give different species different movements (NOT dances).
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Respectfully, by 2409 I don't think purple-dyed hair would be considered "body modification" or even anything rebellious. Given all the races and looks out there in the galaxy, it would just be another acceptable variation.

Beverley Crusher "went blonde" in Star Trek: First Contact, after all. Purple hair, by this time, would probably be seen as "just another color".

I wouldn't be surprised if, by 2409, the Bajoran ear pieces are also allowed. Since they are unobtrusive, and also very important to Bajoran social/religious identity, I can see them being accomodated -- the same way Sikh turbans are accomodated by my local police force, here in North America. The earrings are hardly as noticeable as Riker's beard :D

But hey, I've been wrong before ... ;-)

KOS

So... Bajorans can't wear their ear-ring, but Worf gets his Baldric? *gasp* double standards!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Looks great. I play CoH so if the final version looks anything like the CC in that game I'll be very happy
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Nice screenshots. Very good, keep the good working friends!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Cryptic please dont go to far with higher graphics.
    Els your going to have the same mistake as EQ2 where people complain "omg we want uber graphics11one"
    And end up with plastic hair barbie dolls that are bland and boring to play...
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    very impressive. hope to beable to have facial hair. Riker was always my favorite! :)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    shonsf wrote: »
    Oh I can't wait to custimize my bridge crew!!!!!

same here!! :D
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    ~S~

Good job to whoever made these. These are fantastic.

:)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    so flipping awesome!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I love each new screenshot! Every chance I get to see something from Star Trek Online is appreciated very much! I am awaitning the final release of Star Trek Online with great anticipation, and expectation! It has been so long since I have had a chance to play something like this.
    Congrats to Kryptic for this creation, and thank you from all of us. Great work guys!:D
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Awesome!!!!:D
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ok the first two pictures look cool, but the pictures of the characters, there Hair looks like the same as from the old davey and goliath show from the 60's . cmon lol, we need a liitle more definition then that :p
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I absolutely love the character faces. they are superb. Can't wait to spend hours trying to make my character just right!

With that in mind.... um, we can make male characters right? Cuz, if any of those are men in that screenshot. You make a awful girly man! lol

At least I know Seven of Nine will look perfect!
    I'd like to see some of the more exotic styles to. Like the Katarans. But these look great! I planed on making an Andorian anyway.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    *Edit!* bah, damn webpage errors!....

You know, I hope there are some serious LOD settings for this game. As I LOVE the detail in the characteres, but it's going to kill a computer that shows several ppl in one area! One can only hope it is as detailed and varied as EQ2 in video settings department. Characters already look far superior than EQ2 though, and this is just the faces!

Oh and Please, please! Let us have video presets that we can change by macro/hot keys. Or make it dynamic so that there are specific video settings for. Interiors, Exteriors, and part/raids. So the graphics will adjust depending on the presets we save! For STO it would be nice to have a Space video setting to.

I ask this, because I tinker far to much with the detail settings so that I can get the maximum amount of graphics my computer can handle in any setting. And as detailed as STO looks, it would be nice to have this feature.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Awesome, I really like the models, just awesome.

I have but one complaint - the hair sucks. It looks way too plastic and fake, compared to the rest of the model. It's really noticeable on the Andorian and the Vulcan in particular, and it's not as bad on the human. The Klingon-like..thing...also looks really plasticish, hairwise.

Can't wait for beta - my wife and I excel at art-related feedback :D She'd probably be able write a three page post about just what's wrong with that hair(I think that was the size of her critique on hair color and texture saturation in lotro), but would need to have the chargen available to consult :D

Just from what I see there, the hair just looks like plastic, or putty, that just got slapped onto their heads. I'm not sure what needs to be done to fix it. Perhaps more robust textures, and cutting back on specular lighting in the hair.

I really hope it moves, too. Doesn't have to sway or whip around or be all Physics, but a bit of bouncing when moving adds a TON to immersion. A dozen little things like that add up to making the game better - trust me, you notice when stuff like that is missing(especially when you come from another game), because it makes the characters feel less developed and polished.

Same goes for the game world itself, in terms of little fluff and details that flesh it out.

Wonder if the eyes move around in the sockets. Looking around and stuff...that's always awesome in games.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Looks great. Only nitpick would be the size of the collars on the character screenshot. The "V" cut seems to reach down to the collarbone instead of connecting at the throat; it has the effect of making the collars look oversized, like dress shirt collars with too much starch.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    sniperct wrote: »
    Awesome, I really like the models, just awesome.

I have but one complaint - the hair sucks. It looks way too plastic and fake, compared to the rest of the model. It's really noticeable on the Andorian and the Vulcan in particular, and it's not as bad on the human. The Klingon-like..thing...also looks really plasticish, hairwise.

Can't wait for beta - my wife and I excel at art-related feedback :D She'd probably be able write a three page post about just what's wrong with that hair(I think that was the size of her critique on hair color and texture saturation in lotro), but would need to have the chargen available to consult :D

Just from what I see there, the hair just looks like plastic, or putty, that just got slapped onto their heads. I'm not sure what needs to be done to fix it. Perhaps more robust textures, and cutting back on specular lighting in the hair.

I really hope it moves, too. Doesn't have to sway or whip around or be all Physics, but a bit of bouncing when moving adds a TON to immersion. A dozen little things like that add up to making the game better - trust me, you notice when stuff like that is missing(especially when you come from another game), because it makes the characters feel less developed and polished.

Same goes for the game world itself, in terms of little fluff and details that flesh it out.

Wonder if the eyes move around in the sockets. Looking around and stuff...that's always awesome in games.

Have to agree with SniperCT, the hair does need an overhaul. Guess I was so smitten by the detail in the face that I overlooked it.

I can see that the edges of the hair needs better alpha blending, and the specular lighting is a bit much. But shiny is how hair is, but the specular highlight is to large. It needs to be smaller and toned down. And using texture layers do wonders for hair. Hair almost need 2 layers of well alpha blended textures to give a soft feel. But what I think would do the most good is a increase in texture resolution, where finer hair strands. Right now they look like greased clumps of hair. And a higher res lightmap/bumpmap would be good.

But I think games could start benefiting from pixel shaded hair.