test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Interesting theory on what could have been the future of STO post Victory is Life

Comments

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    Your "comprehensive narrative" is called watch: TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, etc. There is no other practical way for the uninitiated to care about those characters or events, than for them to watch the episodes. Now, all this talk is derailing the thread, please move on.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Actually according to Calypso the Federation is still around, they are who Craft's world was fighting against, though Craft's people mispronounce their name as Vdrashn. They may or may not be the same Federation, in terms of ideology, we have no information to make that judgement. For all we know Craft's planet is New Eden from season 2 1000 years later and the "new Maquis".
    I meant more of the Federation as we understand it.

The V'draysh is seemingly implied to be some sort of decayed version of the Federation. Their obsession with "the long ago" and the fact that it is called "the long ago" seems to indicate some sort of large scale collapse and massive loss of information or historical records, which has spurred the V'draysh to be more focused on trying to find/preserve them.

I have my own theory:

Craft's people are descendants of the WW3 survivors from New Eden.
    They are humans, but their link to the past is weak. They don't care much for human history, because in their living memory, human history basically ended with the WW3. They survived by the grace of the Red Angel and needed a new start.
    Humans from the Federation can look back at their history and realize that even all the bad belongs to them and it enabled them to finally come together. They realize that their is a continual development the human culture lived through to get to where they are.
    Humans from New Eden realize that they needed a complete restart to find a better future. Their past is just misery, and there is nothing to gain from the past.

Of course, beyond mere philosophy, there is also the fact that they simply don't have as much documents from the past - only what the survivors happened to have on them.

New Eden might have eventually grown to have its own colonies, and perhaps they even formed an interstellar alliance similar to the Federation. They finally met the Federation, and conflict erupts. The conflict might not be as much about resources but philosophies. The Federation has its Prime Directive, which might look completely antithetical to the New Eden people, because the "natural" development of a species ends in stuff like WW3 - intervention is necessary, evangelizing is the standard.

I don't know if the Federation also kinda "devolves" in those centuries, or if it's the New Eden civilization that becomes too , aggressive, or both.

But Craft's remark on the V'draysh valuing history so much might just be a result of the different philosophies. Picard is still quoting "ancient" human philosophers and reading old books, Tom Paris loves Captain Proton and Cars, the Discovery crew enjoys Disco and David Bowie's Space Oddity - All the humans in the Federation that we know are still "obsessed" over the past compared to the people of New Eden! (And not just the humans - Lwaxana Troi introduces her with ancient titles that long have lost meaning, Klingons worship Kahless, Vulcans Surak, Joined Trills are inherently tied to the past because their symbionts lived in it.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited February 2019
    They still have to get approval to do things connected to current running shows.

As for the V'draysh being the Federation... wouldn't Craft have identified some of the iconography aboard Discovery as Federation, even if its OLD Federation, and reacted negatively? While I haven't seen that Short Trek, research has given me the impression that he didn't see Discovery as a hostile ship. More like "where the hell am I".

If the V'draysh are the Federation, then they would have some similar iconography. The Starfleet Delta has been relatively unchanged for at least 200 years by the time of STO, and we know that a version of it exists in the 29th Century, just turned sideways.

It might be more likely that the V'draysh are some other force that has taken an OBSESSIVE interst in human history, which could have been fueled by the Voyager probes with their gold discs, and have taken it upon themselves to catalog all that they can of history rather aggressively. And if Craft came from New Eden...

Anyways... Word on the grapevine is we're getting back to what Cryptic had planned after we're done with the Discovery arc, which may involve the return of Mirror Leeta. Will we see more stuff added as more things come out? Most likely. But based on history... we're probably gonna have some time between a new release show and anything appearing in STO. Licensing asside, it took us until ST Beyond to get anything from the Kelvin Timeline. And it pretty much took us until Season 2 of Discovery to get most of the stuff we have now. Crossfield, Walker, Sarco, and uniforms may have come sooner, but we're now just really getting stuff from Discovery really integrated into the game more than just "Lockbox Flavor".
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    -Lower Decks is an animated comedy show, and those generally lack continuity within each episode, as everything is done for the gag", much less continuity with the rest of the series. Even then, Lower Decks is a show about the least important people, on the least important ship in the fleet. The focus isn't the captain, or the bridge crew, or the senior staff, its the low level sewer maintenance guys on the least important ship out there.

Maybe a revamp to the DOff system?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Maybe a revamp to the DOff system?
    Maybe... doffing, ship interiors, both would make sense as Lower Deck tie ins given who the show focuses on.

We also have to consider that all of these Trek projects wont be running at once, and none of them are likely going to be more then 4 seasons long.
    -The Section 31 show might not come out until after Discovery is completely finished according to CBS/Kurtzman. We know they already have plans for Season 3 of Disco, and that Phillipa is part of those plans. On top of the fact that Section 31 might just be a limited mini-series and not a full multi-season show according to various statements.
    -The Picard show only has one season confirmed so far, and from what Patrick Stewart has implied, its only like 10 episodes long. Though he did say it was set up to run up too three seasons.
    -Lower Decks is only scheduled for two seasons
    -Khan was only 3 episodes
    -Starfleet Academy will likely only be 4 seasons

As we know though, things can change at any point in time. It's a matter of how well the shows that are getting at least 2 seasons perform.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    -The Children of Khan. A far lower stakes storyline then the rest, but the Children of Khan was something Cryptic planned to do a long long time ago, and had even set it up when they did the 2800 story arc by having the leader of said augment terrorist group escape Facility 4028. We have already seen Torg, Taris, Sela, Hur'q, and Sword of Kahless stories be wrapped up in-game, the Children of Khan are the only STO original narrative I can think of without a resolution.
    the devs said in a livestream that even though they'd started building maps for it, at this point they'd need to start over from scratch.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rickvic#6033 rickvic Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I would love to see some TMP and ENT era stuff
  • Options
    rickvic#6033 rickvic Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    and ENT era stuff
    We kinda already got that with Agents of Yesterday, and some other stuff.

The whole Temporal Cold War story arc, the Sphere Builders, the Na'Kuhl, the mission to the Kelvin Timeline that begins where the Delphic Expanse was in the Prime Timeline, and we see the KT version of it, Daniels, the Battle of Procyon V, the ENT-J, Kal Dano being the guy in the time travel pod that Archer found. There is that Xindi Ambassador who shows up in a few missions, Xindi ships, Xindi doffs. The Elachi are from ENT as well.

Yes, but the weapons and a lot of fed ships from the show are missiong

• Options
    ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    If I may toss two thoughts in.

If the original intent was to offer a bit of background for players who may not know about the star trek stories and what's going on. Could we not have a simple narrative with the basics...enough to give them info on why this ship was popular and some key players? Would just be a primer for players that they could click on as a storyline began.
    E.g. DS-9 was a former carsassian ore processing station near Bajor during its occupation. It was taken over by the federation after the liberation of Bajor and commanded by commander sisko. It played an important role in the area after the discovery of the wormhole to the gamma quadrant and eventually a major focus during the war with the Dominion, a galactic power from the gamma quadrant, and their allies the cardassians. Eventually the Breen joined the war against the federation while the Klingons and romulans joined against the Dominion alliance.

Then a brief list of major characters and their last know fates.
    Do this for voyager to describe the delta quadrant, one for TNG to mention they were first to encounter the Borg, the crystalline entity etc.
    Don't need long descriptions of every episode, but a brief primer that can also serve to describe where it takes place in the timeline wouldn't hurt and shouldn't be too large of a project.

As to enemies...the Kelvan's could be a good opponent...what if the majority of their race had already boarded huge numbers of sleeper ships to make the journey to our galaxy. They suddenly appear across the edge of one sector...pushing in and beginning to take over world's, forcing the races to go to war again.
    Depending on where they come from it could create different dynamics of who is fighting.

From galactic "south" feds and Klingons lead the battle. West would be feds, Dominion, maybe Breen would need help and could be expanded on. North could be Dominion/delta quadrant etc.

You could even draw it out to an extended war after the initial flurry of the invasion where they've been held to certain systems and neither side has resources for big pushes...just raids and smaller engagements...this could provide fuel for ongoing episodes for years as they probe into different areas or fight small engagements while no one has the punch for a big win.

As to their appearance, they could explain that much as the first Kelvan's did, they used those forms for ease of working in this galaxy...maybe the slow change that we saw in the TOS episode causes conflict between the kelvans who changed form and those who didn't...doesn't take much to extract stories if you look at the years of episodes.

Heck, you could even bring in the sheliak...they seemed to give the federation pause. They could make another good race to cause conflict.

Just some thoughts.
  • Options
    The Sheliak are a minor power. They don't have the resources to go after EVERYONE. Besides... the Sheliak got outmaneuvered verbally by Picard after careful review of their rather precise and extensive treaty.
  • Options
    the devs said in a livestream that even though they'd started building maps for it, at this point they'd need to start over from scratch.
    That wouldn't surprise me. The Children of Khan was something they started back in like.... 2012? Its so old I expect it would have to be completely done over.

Though, do you remember what livestream this was said in? Was it recently? or was it pretty far back?
    I think last year. It was one of the streams with Al Rivera, Andre Emerson or both.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    nixboox wrote: »
    I think the Sheliak would be a great seasonal arc to follow as they blockade the Alpha Quadrant from, well, everyone...eradicating the "infestations" of inferior beings. They would come out swinging, with technology and abilities that would make even the Iconians nervous.

That would be a little TOO much if you ask me. MORE powerful than the Iconians, yet the Iconians said nothing about them. They were more concerned with the Dominion than they were the Sheliak.
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    nixboox wrote: »
    I think the Sheliak would be a great seasonal arc to follow as they blockade the Alpha Quadrant from, well, everyone...eradicating the "infestations" of inferior beings. They would come out swinging, with technology and abilities that would make even the Iconians nervous.
    That would be a little TOO much if you ask me. MORE powerful than the Iconians, yet the Iconians said nothing about them. They were more concerned with the Dominion than they were the Sheliak.
    Also there's a question of motive.

The Sheliak would not abandon a treaty which has worked well for them so far. What would they seek to gain by naked aggression?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
This discussion has been closed.