test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Man at Arms webseries forges Sword of Kahless

azrael605azrael605 Member Posts: 11,135 Arc User
https://trekmovie.com/2018/07/09/watch-man-at-arms-forge-sword-of-kahless-from-star-trek-ds9-inventor-of-batleth-dan-curry-approves/

Thought it worth sharing with the sword becoming prominent again with the most recent FE.
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.

Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.

Robert Heinlein

#BringBackJoshuaRiker

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    They did do it justice. It looks amazing.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Oh, nice.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I love the etching on it.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    Ok... sorta not related but kinda related... found this guy, who seems to be an expert on medieval weapons based on what I've seen so far...

Mek'leth is practical!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0dLUtMViUI
    And he actually only had one bad thing to say about it. So Klingon bladesmiths know their stuff.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Ok... sorta not related but kinda related... found this guy, who seems to be an expert on medieval weapons based on what I've seen so far...

Mek'leth is practical!
    And he actually only had one bad thing to say about it. So Klingon bladesmiths know their stuff.

If they get into close range it'll be a bloodbath? Really!? I must have watched a different siege of DS9 to this guy. They also didn't do so well against Harrison and Malik even when it was entier crews against one or two unarmed people (well, until Harrison ripped the turret gun off of a D4 anyway).​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    Plot Armor is very strong too. Its the same reason Stormtroopers can't hit the broad side of the Deathstar when aiming at Luke Skywalker.
  • Options
    Plot Armor is very strong too. Its the same reason Stormtroopers can't hit the broad side of the Deathstar when aiming at Luke Skywalker.

In ANH? Because they weren't supposed to. Did any fire at him in TESB or TRotJ?​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Any shot aimed at a Hero Character, unless it is in the script for it to hit, will miss.

In Empire Strikes Back, several shots hit around the main characters, both in the hallways of Cloud City and on the landing platform when they were boarding the Falcon. There is very little cover on the Falcon's boarding ramp, yet all the shots hit around Lando.

In Return of the Jedi, all but two shots missed the main characters. Only two instances of a blaster bolt hitting a main character are seen, both on Endor at the bunker entrance. First was when R2 got struck trying to hack in, and the second was when Leia was covering Han, turned to check on him, and got nailed in the shoulder... that happened to be the closest to the edge she was using for cover. Other than that... the so called Stormtrooper Effect was in play. Said effect basically says that even the most accurate of any no name soldiers will miss the main character unless the script calls for a hit.

Hell... in Revenge of the Sith, we saw an overkill version of this when Cody ordered an AT-TE to shoot Obi-Wan. Its a big gun, and it didn't hit him directly. Essentially it missed, but due to it being such a big gun, it was enough to make it appear to the Clones that it was a hit, or enough to assume he was dead.

And the same thing applies to DS9. The Klingons weren't MEANT to actually hack DS9 security apart. So of course the Mek'leths weren't going to be effective up close. Because the story dictated so. If it was a real battle and not scripted, any Klingon that got close to someone with a rifle or pistol would have an advantage in melee combat. Yes a rifle can be used in a pinch as a club, but a pistol... not so much. If you can close to melee range against a ranged weapon, the melee weapon gains the advantage. Until then, it is advantage ranged weapon.

Begone Edit Monster!
  • Options
    patrickngo wrote: »
    notably, I'm NOT going to go into the rant about Discovery's version of the Batt, because that's one that's been pounded to death. suffice to say, there's no situation where it can be used where it will be better than being completely disarmed.

The Discovery Bat'leth feels a bit more like a staff than other incarnations IMO. Looking at it from a practical standpoint, it is a bit more practical in terms of being able to swing it if we look at it from a staff standpoint. A good comparison would probably be Darth Maul's Double Bladed Lightsaber, which has more of a staff fighting style than a standard single blade.

But that is a topic for another thread.
  • Options
    That is true it does take more to not hurt yourself. I think the main offender on the Discovery Bat'leth is that hook facing back towards the user on one end. Remove that and it would probably be better.
  • Options
    That is true it does take more to not hurt yourself. I think the main offender on the Discovery Bat'leth is that hook facing back towards the user on one end. Remove that and it would probably be better.
    Like a double-bladed axe or well... any broadsword, crusader sword, or zweihander, or claymore.... I'm bored, I don't feel like listing every type of double edged sword.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Like a double-bladed axe or well... any broadsword, crusader sword, or zweihander, or claymore.... I'm bored, I don't feel like listing every type of double edged sword.

that said, there's no manual of arms you can devise, in which the Discovery Battleth is, in fact, a viable melee weapon.

not one.

for a culture that still USES melee weapons (and as late as the early 25th Century), it's not a good fit, it's the kind of thing, however, that someone who knows NOTHING (about fighting, or melee fighting) would design because "it looks badazz with all the Spykes!!!"

Maybe 22nd Century Klingons like to injure themselves with their own weapons or give unfair advantages to their opponents. Of course, it is possible that for whatever stupid reason, they were using ceremonial weapons and not decent weapons.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    this goes for ranged attacks, and melee. The Klingon armor from Discovery is about as useful as a chainmail bikini and briefs.

Actually chainmail bikini and briefs would be better since the armor isn't intentionally designed to harm the wearer. There might be some pinching involved, but that can be fixed with a layer of cloth. In a lot of games, less armor means more defense so a chainmail bikini provides more defense than full plate mail armor.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2018

If they didn't use a lock of his hair, it's just a Bat'leth. :p
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    Right, they should stop using their hair as ore.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

If they didn't use a lock of his hair, it's just a Bat'leth. :p

considering Klingons are hairless now...

On the head...

*eek*
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    Hopefully we'll learn more as the series progresses.

Frankly it could just be a homeworld fashion thing to not have hair at that particular point in time. I mean how many Klingons from Qo'nos itself had we seen in TOS? Not only that, we have had bald or nearly bald Klingons in the past. One QUITE notable.
    latest?cb=20100605232156&path-prefix=en

And if we add in the Kelvin Timeline... we see a Klingon with little or no hair.
    star-trek-into-darkness-klingon.jpg

Now... lets look at one common element of the Klingons. 99% of all TMP/TNG style Klingons (Which include Enterprise Era) have hair, BUT... its the location of said hair that could line up with the supposed sensory organs Klingons have in Discovery.

Klingons-Star-Trek-1.jpg
    latest?cb=20150518193922
    57f019fddc791e0e4662ecf0e0e9619593083c1b.jpg
    Gowron2375.jpg
    star-trek-discovery-klingon-anatomy.jpg

Now... depending on exactly WHERE those are... it can still line up just fine and can be considered just a cultural phase, like hippy hair in the 60s. And several instances of photoshopped Discovery klingons appear where they added Klingon style hair to them... and it actually fits.
  • Options
    Even FEMALE Klingons!
    latest?cb=20111117215420&path-prefix=en
    latest?cb=20120229223004&path-prefix=en
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Yup. There is literally only one Klingon I can think of who violates this. However... she's half human anyways, so that excuses her.
    2137062-b8.jpg