test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unable to edit text in editor

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
This discussion was created from comments split from: Missions offering Foundry rewards prior to latest release no longer doing so.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Well the editor is now technically up but there's a massive bug that essentially prevents it from being used, you cannot type anything into the text boxes (you can mash your keyboard all you like but the program won't recognize anything you do).
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Well the editor is now technically up but there's a massive bug that essentially prevents it from being used, you cannot type anything into the text boxes (you can mash your keyboard all you like but the program won't recognize anything you do).

I'll cc. @ambassadorkael#6946 directly on this one, could be a bug or they still need to turn something on.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options

I'll cc. @ambassadorkael#6946 directly on this one, could be a bug or they still need to turn something on.
    I'd suspect it's bug as I was able to bypass it once, but we'll have to see either way this needs to be ASAP.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I'd suspect it's bug as I was able to bypass it once, but we'll have to see either way this needs to be ASAP.

Greendragoon and I will be able to test soon. In the meantime, try other projects to confirm if it's a global or a project/instance specific issue. Also, restart the editor and game for the same.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Foundry is up and I can edit as normal. I've noticed that many projects were not auto-published, I'm attempting to publish them now.

Does that include text? If so then we'll need to know if Spiritborn can reproduce the bug he saw with no text entry (may have caught the servers at an odd moment, found an infrequent bug, or might be having some odd issues with local hardware+drivers.)
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I gonna check that, granted seems odd that my keyboard would be causing issues now and only on the editor, there's no special drivers for and it works just fine elsewhere.

EDIT:still not working, I was able to get it to work before I did I arena of Sompek so I have wonder if the bug is related to that.

and yes I tried both a blank text box and one that already had text.
  • Options
    I gonna check that, granted seems odd that my keyboard would be causing issues now and only on the editor, there's no special drivers for and it works just fine elsewhere.

EDIT:still not working, I was able to get it to work before I did I arena of Sompek so I have wonder if the bug is related to that.

Greendragoon and I also aren't having any issues right now. After restarting your computer and the game (definitely do that, you could be the victim of a freak bug right now that needs to be cleared) try other project files (including newly created ones) to be sure of the extent of the bug you're seeing.
  • Options

Greendragoon and I also aren't having any issues right now. After restarting your computer and the game (definitely do that, you could be the victim of a freak bug right now that needs to be cleared) try other project files (including newly created ones) to be sure of the extent of the bug you're seeing.
    gone all but a hard reboot and the problem presists thru all projects I've tested both freshly created (as in today when I was able to bypass the bug) and old ones.

I really wish it's not a case of "you need Windows 10 to use the Foundry" (I'm using Windows 8.1 atm) as that would essentially mean I need to get a new PC to use it.

Though considering that I wasn't able to bypass the bug after I had done arena of Sompek I wonder if it's related to that.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Try force verifying as well, check to make sure you're not using a proxy, and double check your control settings (there were updates, maybe something's interacting with the Foundry interface.) If have one in the household, I'd also recommend trying another keyboard to see if that clears the issue. If you can test this on another computer, all the better (if it works there then you know you have a PC issue. If not, it's Foundry.)

And as a note for the rewards issue: I'm republishing the projects of mine that weren't qualifying, see if that has an impact.
  • Options
    Try force verifying as well, check to make sure you're not using a proxy, and double check your control settings (there were updates, maybe something's interacting with the Foundry interface.) If have one in the household, I'd also recommend trying another keyboard to see if that clears the issue.

And as a note for the rewards issue: I'm republishing the projects of mine that weren't qualifying, see if that has an impact.
    I'll see if I got a spare keyboard here (one that I know to work otherwise) that said considering I was able to bypass it before I did Arena of Sompek I think that's the culprit since after doing it, I'll 100% locked out and the work around doesn't work anymore.

if it's a Win 8.1 issue sadly it'll mean I'll probably have to quit the foundry for the foreseeble future as I don't have money to buy a new PC.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    if it's a Win 8.1 issue sadly it'll mean I'll probably have to quit the foundry for the foreseeble future as I don't have money to buy a new PC.

I seriously doubt it's a windows compatibility issue. It's also hard to see what Sompek could possibly do to keep the Foundry bugged out after restarting the game. I'm trying it now to be sure.

Have you been replying to messages with that keyboard? It may have failed while you were playing Sompek.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

I seriously doubt it's a windows compatibility issue. It's also hard to see what Sompek could possibly do to keep the Foundry bugged out after restarting the game.

Have you been replying to messages with that keyboard? It may have failed while you were playing Sompek.

yeah it's only keyboard I use and it works just fine with everything but the Foundry editor, where it stops to work completely

EDIT:reason I think it's Sompek as that's the only thing I did differently after I got it to work to now where I might as well quit as it seems I have personal version where the editor is perma disabled.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I found a couple keyboards in my appartment I could try but seeing as they're essentially "plug and play" I don't see what difference it's gonna make.

EDIT: Swapping Keyboards didn't do anything nor did force verify, or restarting the game/PC so the if it's not somehow Arena of Sompek or the Phoenix lockbox that's causing this issue, I'll have to accept that my version of STO is perma corrupted and I can no longer use the Foundry period.
  • Options
    EDIT:reason I think it's Sompek as that's the only thing I did differently after I got it to work to now where I might as well quit as it seems I have personal version where the editor is perma disabled.

I just completed a round of Sompek, no issues with the Foundry. In your case it sounds like correlation rather than causation, I wouldn't worry about it unless we start hearing from other authors this weekend that their ability to edit text in the Foundry has been disabled.

Here's what to try next:

1. Force verify the game from the launcher.
    2. Reinstall your keyboard's drivers, if you haven't already.

For 2: go to your "Device Manager" in the control panel. Go to keyboards. You may have more than one listed. Right click each and select "Uninstall the device." After, your keyboard will automatically reinstall itself (just like plugging it in for the first time.)

3. Reinstall the game. Could be something in your version of STO broke for bizarre reasons.

If all that fails, then we can ask Kael to look into the possibility of access issues on the back end. A way to trouble shoot that (if you feel up to it) is to create a new STO handle. Play it enough to get Foundry access and test it. If that works and your main still doesn't, then we'll be able to tell Cryptic for sure that it's something they can look into. If it doesn't work, then it's definitely local to your PC.
  • Options
    Re-installing seemed to do nothing. Oh and all my keyboards are basic ones I cannot afford any special keyboards, so it seems my career as foundry author is done as there no way I can fix this, shame.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Re-installing seemed to do nothing. Oh and all my keyboards are basic ones I cannot afford any special keyboards, so it seems my career as foundry author is done as there no way I can fix this, shame.

Not the end yet, we can probably eliminate the keyboard from consideration and local problems with game code. We can test to see if it's your STO account that's at issue if you create another handle and see if that's also affected by this bug. It'll take a little effort to earn enough dil from a few epiosdes for Foundry slots, but it would really help in handing this problem over to Cryptic if we can say that it's your Foundry profile that's bugged (ex. lost permission to edit your own missions) rather than anything on your system (hardware, software, or a control setting.)

If the account thing works, we move this on a step to Kael. If it doesn't, then we keep digging with local control settings.
  • Options

Not the end yet, we can probably eliminate the keyboard from consideration and local problems with game code. We can test to see if it's your STO account that's at issue if you create another handle and see if that's also affected by this bug. It'll take a little effort to earn enough dil from a few epiosdes for Foundry slots, but it would really help in handing this problem over to Cryptic if we can say that it's your Foundry profile that's bugged (ex. lost permission to edit your own missions) rather than anything on your system (hardware, software, or a control setting.)

If the account thing works, we move this on a step to Kael. If it doesn't, then we keep digging with local control settings.

Problem is that I don't exactly have that many e-mail accounts to spare and IIRC my @handle is exclusive and unique to the account e-mail so that I can't really have more then 1 handle to the same e-mail.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Problem is that I don't exactly have that many e-mail accounts to spare and IIRC my @handle is exclusive and unique to the account e-mail so that I can't really have more then 1 handle to the same e-mail.

You would use another email address, and keep in mind that this would confirm if it's a local issue (if your second handle can't type) or if it's something that only Cryptic can fix (if your second handle can.)
  • Options

You would use another email address, and keep in mind that this would confirm if it's a local issue (if your second handle can't type) or if it's something that only Cryptic can fix (if your second handle can.)
    I'd probably have to create a g-mail account or something like that for it to work.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I'd probably have to create a g-mail account or something like that for it to work.

Sure, if you don't have another email on hand. You wouldn't need to keep using it for anything and the only long-term security thing you'd have to worry about is not using the same password as an account you actually do use (then this one's entirely disposable and we can be very definite about what kind of issue this is and if we need to get Cryptic involved.)

It's your call but I think it would be very useful in sorting this out.

Point 2: for the thread at large I did manually republish the missions of mine that were not qualifying for rewards. They still don't qualify for rewards. I had one missing mission from downtime, that's been republished, and that does qualify.

Unless something changes in the near future (ie. these start spontaneously qualifying in the next day or so) what would be good is to set out a list of example missions that don't qualify (and definitely should.) That would probably help Cryptic to nail down what's happening and we can forward that list directly to Kael.
  • Options

Sure, if you don't have another email on hand. You wouldn't need to keep using it for anything and the only long-term security thing you'd have to worry about is not using the same password as an account you actually do use (then this one's entirely disposable and we can be very definite about what kind of issue this is and if we need to get Cryptic involved.)

Point 2: for the thread at large I did manually republish the missions of mine that were not qualifying for rewards. They still don't qualify for rewards. I had one missing mission from downtime, that's been republished, and that does qualify.

Unless something changes in the near future (ie. these start spontaneously qualifying in the next day or so) what would be good is to set out a list of example missions that don't qualify. That definite starting point would probably help Cryptic to nail down what's happening (and we can forward that on directly to Kael.)
    I made a secondary account for this, I'll probably won't use it for anything (and yes I used a different password for I always do)
  • Options

Unless something changes in the near future (ie. these start spontaneously qualifying in the next day or so) what would be good is to set out a list of example missions that don't qualify. That definite starting point would probably help Cryptic to nail down what's happening (and we can forward that on directly to Kael.)
    I made a secondary account for this, I'll probably won't use it for anything (and yes I used a different password for I always do)

it was 7k for the first foundry slots right?
  • Options
    I'm gathering the resources to activate the foundry on the second account now, I'll report how that went once I got enough Dilithium, I'll also try again on my main account once Sompek has gone out of cooldown.
  • Options
    I'm gathering the resources to activate the foundry on the second account now, I'll report how that went once I got enough Dilithium, I'll also try again on my main account once Sompek has gone out of cooldown.

Did you see my earlier question? It may be the x64 bit version conflicting, switch to 32bit if you're still on x64 and see if that does it.
    tried it no difference
  • Options
    Could a mod split my editor issues to seperate thread as they're not really related to the main issue here.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I guess this thread has been hijacked.

It was useful to quickly troubleshoot the problem, back in season 4 there was a truly apocalyptic glitch involving mission text. We needed to be sure that this downtime wasn't about to unleash something like again.

Spiritborn can go ahead and make a new thread for updates since we're not looking at a community-level emergency at this point (he's still the only one affected). As stated before, we should probably move on with this thread to providing a list of missions to be as specific as possible about what exactly Cryptic should be looking into (there are a lot of missions out there that shouldn't qualify, we want them to know which ones are in fact a problem.) I'll send that list to Kael, he can pass that on, and they can get started on an investigation on their side of such already isn't in progress.

Right now I have my two missions and those I can identify from a search of "SRS."
This discussion has been closed.