test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fleets

I am wondering if other players feel the way I do and should be allowed to make a single man fleet if the player wants to do such things or single account fleet. I always believed a player should be able to play the way they want to and some don't wanna join fleets with many players in it for various reasons. So why not allow the player base to make and hold single man fleets if they want to.

Comments

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    What benefits would you get from a 1 person fleet?
    Unless you are just grinding mats 24/7 you aren't going to build any fleet locations and unlock fleet gear.
    You get a fleet bank, but you can just as easy mail your alts stuff.

Other than just having a Fleet Name attached to your toons, I don't see any substantial benefits, other than not having to fight to get your Fleet Marks turned into Fleet Credits.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    No, I don't feel that way.

You're going to need tens of millions of dil and thousands of doffs to level the fleet holdings, so if you really really want to do this can always either hire some people to be your fleetmates, or create 10 accounts and be your own crowd.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    No, I don't agree.

There is already a mechanic in place for players that don't wish to join a fleet. That mechanic is simply not joining a fleet.

There is nothing in the game that comes from Fleets that is required to be able to play the game. Yes, they have nice items, but you can get by perfectly fine with items obtained from crafting, drops, c-store, lobi, etc.

With all do respect, what it sounds like here is that you want the benefits of a fleet without having to be in a fleet. It just doesn't work that way.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    This is a part of STO i've always wanted to explore in detail, i tried doing a single man fleet before and it didn't work out. Although you could probably get a number of levels across the board by yourself, special projects are going to be a real issue the same with cheap doffs.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    There are multiple people in this game, myself included, with one or more solo fleets. Besides the obvious benefit of satisfying our massive OCD there's also the benefit of no drama, large amounts of bank space and being able to run around in your underwear on your starbase without offending anyone.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    Well, it would be easier to start, for sure. I have single man fleets, one FED and another KDF, but I had to find 4 other people, each Faction, willing to join with me to start them, then leave me to it. Luckily, I did, but that was a hassle to find them. I understand why Fleets were designed that way, though.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Issue that is killing and forcing players to play the Developers way instead of letting theme play there way fleet wise if they want to play it that way then fine if not then fine either or way would work.

You can't always get what you want.

They make you play episodes to get the episode rewards. They make you earn marks to get the reputation rewards. They make you play the game to level up your character. They make you buy ships to get admiralty cards. It never ends! ;)
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Issue that is killing and forcing players to play the Developers way instead of letting theme play there way fleet wise if they want to play it that way then fine if not then fine either or way would work.

You can't always get what you want.

They make you play episodes to get the episode rewards. They make you earn marks to get the reputation rewards. They make you play the game to level up your character. They make you buy ships to get admiralty cards. It never ends! ;)

Not only that, but they won't let me fly an X-Wing Fighter!
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    I started a fleet not long ago. I'd say a few months. I had to take a break right after founding it. I came back around middle of lohlunat this year. I've been working on it ever since. At first, I was clumsy and figuring out what to do. Then as I progressed, I refined what I was doing. I starting targeting specific thing to level within the fleet. I know how a T1 Mine and Starbase. Thanks to how I work my dil and my alts, I'm never low on that. This id done simple by no over-extending your resources. EC is easy to make, you just have to look around at ways to do it. Doffs are generally cheap, with several options on how to get them.

So the only limitation on having a one man fleet, is to listen to anyone that says it can't be done. The thing is to have patients and to figure out your plan of how to do it.

Besides, with how the game is set up now. Building a one man fleet is the only thing one can do to get any sense of satisfaction for actually having accomplished something. Back before fleets, it was actually getting you toon and your ship geared. Now, that's super easy. So all we have left is building a fleet.

As long as you, don't give in and don't give up, then when you're done. You can look at everyone that said, "It can't be done!" and say, "You were wrong! Now what?" But it will take time and patience.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    I started a fleet not long ago. I'd say a few months. I had to take a break right after founding it. I came back around middle of lohlunat this year. I've been working on it ever since. At first, I was clumsy and figuring out what to do. Then as I progressed, I refined what I was doing. I starting targeting specific thing to level within the fleet. I know how a T1 Mine and Starbase. Thanks to how I work my dil and my alts, I'm never low on that. This id done simple by no over-extending your resources. EC is easy to make, you just have to look around at ways to do it. Doffs are generally cheap, with several options on how to get them.

So the only limitation on having a one man fleet, is to listen to anyone that says it can't be done. The thing is to have patients and to figure out your plan of how to do it.

Besides, with how the game is set up now. Building a one man fleet is the only thing one can do to get any sense of satisfaction for actually having accomplished something. Back before fleets, it was actually getting you toon and your ship geared. Now, that's super easy. So all we have left is building a fleet.

As long as you, don't give in and don't give up, then when you're done. You can look at everyone that said, "It can't be done!" and say, "You were wrong! Now what?" But it will take time and patience.

I tried it once as mentioned before, made it to level 2 across the board for the starbase itself, but i lost interest in it since. it's not the work that was the big deal, it was the repetition. i can't stand repetition for very long and when i know something is a grind i got little to no tolerance and interest to go back and continue with it.

I understand what you are saying, but it depends on the person and how much they can take.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User

I tried it once as mentioned before, made it to level 2 across the board for the starbase itself, but i lost interest in it since. it's not the work that was the big deal, it was the repetition. i can't stand repetition for very long and when i know something is a grind i got little to no tolerance and interest to go back and continue with it.

I understand what you are saying, but it depends on the person and how much they can take.

You about summed up the problem in a nutshell. Repetition is sure to ruin your fun in no time. That's basically what drove me to give Champions Online a stop.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    at some point you have to aknowledge that this is an MMO, and not a single player game. You can't "demand" the developers to cater to a specific need of a few players that goes contrary to their own concept and vision of what the game is supposed to be.

If anything, this game is too much single player for an MMO.

Nevertheless, the option to make your own fleet is available, though a little bit of a hassle. If a person is determened enough to NOT interact too much with other people in an MMO and still play most of the content, STO is probably the best MMO out there to acomplish that. SPecifically when it comes to fleets, you don't even need one for the gear. All you need is the provisions in your fleet and an invite to a high level fleet via the NoP channel.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    baudl wrote: »
    at some point you have to aknowledge that this is an MMO, and not a single player game. You can't "demand" the developers to cater to a specific need of a few players that goes contrary to their own concept and vision of what the game is supposed to be.

Nevertheless, the option to make your own fleet is available, though a little bit of a hassle. If a person is determened enough to NOT interact too much with other people in an MMO and still play most of the content, STO is probably the best MMO out there to acomplish that. SPecifically when it comes to fleets, you don't even need one for the gear. All you need is the provisions in your fleet and an invite to a high level fleet via the NoP channel.

Isseu is most fleet wont let you buy gear at all till you do there work theme and they do nothing but gloat over it so what you said is mute for some fleets.

Then you, my friend, are in the wrong Fleet. :)

The big problem here is your mindset toward fleet contribution. You're thinking of it as giving your resources just to advance while the hierarchy of the fleet laughs and enjoys the spoils. If anyone is in a fleet that works that way, they should just leave. It's supposed to be a group of players working together toward a goal. Fleet development is about people working together and advancing the fleet. The gear is a reward for successfully achieving that goal.

All you are asking for is to have access to the rewards without having to put in any of the work. Fleets can be a really good thing, and can help improve your game experience if you just give it a shot.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options

Isseu is most fleet wont let you buy gear at all till you do there work theme and they do nothing but gloat over it so what you said is mute for some fleets.

Then you, my friend, are in the wrong Fleet. :)

The big problem here is your mindset toward fleet contribution. You're thinking of it as giving your resources just to advance while the hierarchy of the fleet laughs and enjoys the spoils. If anyone is in a fleet that works that way, they should just leave. It's supposed to be a group of players working together toward a goal. Fleet development is about people working together and advancing the fleet. The gear is a reward for successfully achieving that goal.

All you are asking for is to have access to the rewards without having to put in any of the work. Fleets can be a really good thing, and can help improve your game experience if you just give it a shot.

I don't mind helping but helping and then having no access to anything for your effort isn't fun either and I have seen many fleets like that than good ones. But allowing a single player to have access to creating a fleet with player and then recruiting from there if they want should be an option also. If the player wants to do it alone let theme isn't goin to harm anything if they wish to group and do it then no problem. All I am saying is both options should be there not just the one way and that is it no other ways or options.

Both options are there. It take 5 people to make a fleet. All you have to do it find 4 others that are willing to party up, go to ESD/Qo'nos/NewRom and make said fleet and then then the extras leave said party and fleet. BAM! One man fleet.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    Through certain, excellent chat channels, You can have access to virtually any and every thing being in a fleet would get you. You do have the option of having a fleet of 1. Just find some other players willing to help you create it and then leave. I'd suggest adding an alt account to it, and then using NOP Public service to gain access to things you need. Lots of generous and no BS fleets out there are willing to invite you to maps or even the fleet itself for the things you need and want. You use the ALT I previously mentioned to invite your toon back to the fleet if you leave in order to get a fleet ship and what not.
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
  • Options
    tm706 wrote: »
    Through certain, excellent chat channels, You can have access to virtually any and every thing being in a fleet would get you. You do have the option of having a fleet of 1. Just find some other players willing to help you create it and then leave. I'd suggest adding an alt account to it, and then using NOP Public service to gain access to things you need. Lots of generous and no BS fleets out there are willing to invite you to maps or even the fleet itself for the things you need and want. You use the ALT I previously mentioned to invite your toon back to the fleet if you leave in order to get a fleet ship and what not.

No need for an alt account. You can invite your other characters while they're off line. Then alt over, and boom, Fleet invite.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    From what I see in this thread already, looks like you want access to Fleet ships and Fleet gear. Without any of the requirements to earn the access. Nerds of Prey Public Service will allow this. They're in game and they're accessible.

Most fleets restrict access to Fleet gear initially. Because purchasing items from the Fleet stores uses up Fleet Provisions. If someone contributed one million's worth of Fleet Credits to the Fleet and then decided they would come back tomorrow to purchase that Fleet Ship they wanted only to find out there were no more Provisions left to do so, they'd be very upset. Justifiably so. Happened to me. Contributing one million in Fleet Credits to a Fleet took a very long time and I put off improving my characters for the purpose of doing so. And then someone who joined the Fleet yesterday got a Fleet ship and full gear for it off my contributions. Without contributing anything at all to the Fleet.

So do not pretend with me your STO life is soo unfair. Like most of the Glow Kids generation, you appear to want everything for nothing right now and you can't be bothered to think about other people. You also apparently can't be bothered to spell check or use correct grammar. Even non native English speakers usually get those right.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User

Most Fleets that I have seen do have a minimum contribution before opening up access to Fleet Stores, ranging from 10K to 100K. Nothing wrong with that, it helps to keep people from joining, buying a bunch of Fleet gear (using up provisions that others contributed to) and then leaving. Requiring people to actually contribute themselves instead of just leeching off of everyone elses contributions is a perfectly reasonable stance. Then there are others, such as the one in my siggy and another I have a toon in, that have no contribution requirements, but instead have a relatively short probationary period, after which you have access to all Fleet stuff, even if you have yet to contribute a thing.

I have only run across one Fleet that was "shady", after being well over the minimum contribution level with no promotion. I emailed the Fleet leader with no response, then caught him online and PM'd him, at which time he promptly put me on ignore. Ten minutes after that I was in a different Fleet, been happy there ever since.

So, from my experience, most Fleets are great places. It sounds like you had the bad luck to get into one or two that weren't and somehow took that to mean that all Fleets are bad. Although I have actually had good luck with it myself, the key thing is don't accept random Fleet invites. Peruse the Fleets recruiting in the Forums, see what they have to offer, watch for posts from people who have burned by them, and then choose one. Blatant plug, you can't go wrong joining the one in my siggy. Awesome group of people, maxed Fleet holdings so there's no want for anything and you can be as active or as casual as you want.

LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I agree with the OP to a point because there are far too many fleets out there that are simply out to TRIBBLE you out of YOUR resources without giving you a damn thing. early on i got recriuted into a fleet and then was told I had to provide 10K d a DAY to stay in the fleet. I couldn't find the eject button fast enough. joined a second fleet because i wanted a fleet variant ship. when i inquired hot to go about it I was told you have to do X, Y, Z hen we will THINK about letting start earing toward the ship...
    I won't ever join a fleet again.

Spock.jpg

• Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    I agree with the OP to a point because there are far too many fleets out there that are simply out to **** you out of YOUR resources without giving you a damn thing. early on i got recriuted into a fleet and then was told I had to provide 10K d a DAY to stay in the fleet. I couldn't find the eject button fast enough. joined a second fleet because i wanted a fleet variant ship. when i inquired hot to go about it I was told you have to do X, Y, Z hen we will THINK about letting start earing toward the ship...
    I won't ever join a fleet again.

Man you got a raw deal there. Back when my fleet was more active (Summer always slows us down) we would have the fleet stores closed to all, but then on Friday afternoon PST we would unlock them for everyone above newbie rank and leave them that way till Monday morning. Fleet weekends were popular, but it took the remainder of the week to replenish provisions.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!