test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Surviving the Trenches: A beginner's guide to fighting the Vaadwaur on Kobali Prime

Comments

• Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    The plasma repeater is basically an assault minigun in pistol form - as long as you keep an eye on the fuel cell, its a pretty OP toy and if you build to plas boost/dot boost, its pretty amazing overall
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    burstorion wrote: »
    The plasma repeater is basically an assault minigun in pistol form - as long as you keep an eye on the fuel cell, its a pretty OP toy and if you build to plas boost/dot boost, its pretty amazing overall
    It is, it (like the PPB rifle) is pretty much the in-game equivalent of an Uzi or a Tec 9 :sunglasses:
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    The leapy vaudwaar is from a couple of story missions, thankfully they don't appear on prime at all.

"The leapy Vaaduar" is THAT the one in Sompek? And that one is specific to Sompek???

Is or is not a "bug"? That is the question.
    I guess, we will be waiting for Sompek to come back around.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    "The leapy Vaaduar" is THAT the one in Sompek? And that one is specific to Sompek???

Eh...

It's a Vaadwaur Overseer. The first one you meet (in Capture the Flag) turned on GODMODE that needs plasma vented from big tubes (opposed to plasma vented from small weapon tubes) to bypass GODMODE.

After that, they seem vulnerable to normal weapons. I assume you had your weapon modified offscreen or something. The "normal" ones appear in Dragon's Deceit, Takedown, and the Sompek Arena.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    redvenge wrote: »

Eh...

It's a Vaadwaur Overseer. The first one you meet (in Capture the Flag) turned on GODMODE that needs plasma vented from big tubes (opposed to plasma vented from small weapon tubes) to bypass GODMODE.

After that, they seem vulnerable to normal weapons. I assume you had your weapon modified offscreen or something. The "normal" ones appear in Dragon's Deceit, Takedown, and the Sompek Arena.

AH ha.....THAT is the info I needed. "Dragon's Deceit" and "Takedown".

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

I never played Sompek so I have no idea what you are speaking of....plasma tubes?
    I will go figure out those Vaaduar Overseer in the missions, first. Then see how it applies to Sompek, next time that comes around.

God-mode or not...they should be ACTING similarly. And definitely a problem if there is no hazard warning on attacks.

Shoot, I think that Tzenkethi Turtle Man (with the cover shield on his back) from Brushfire has hazard warnings before he leaps. Though not that getting out of the cone helps at all when he knocks you over anyways.
    Post edited by where2r1 on

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    I never played Sompek so I have no idea what you are speaking of....plasma tubes?
    I will go figure out those Vaaduar Overseer in the missions, first. Then see how it applies to Sompek, next time that comes around.
    You seem confused. The first Vaadwaur Overseer you encounter is in the mission Capture the Flag. That one (named Relin) is completely invincible until you lure him under some tubes that vent plasma (on a side note, why would you EVER have a system that vents deadly plasma into your engine room?!). Then he is vulnerable for a few seconds. You may have to spritz him with large tube plasma a few times before he dies in a cutscene.
    God-mode or not...they should be ACTING similarly. And definitely a problem if there is no hazard warning on attacks.
    I'm alright that the Overseers do not telegraph their attacks. I'm less alright with the fact they can chain knockdown your character and that their attacks ignore knockback resistance and immunity.

• Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Never had a problem there. I just mash the fire button like everywhere else in game.

My Guide;
    Mash Fire button -> Win

I can tell what your problem is though, and this may sound harsh, but your gear kinda stinks tbh. I'm sorry to be blunt.

You're not being blunt; you're making assumptions, and being rude.

What 'stinks' about VR Mk XII pa weave armor with [PolAp] [RegSH] [Tet]? +116.3 physical and kinetic resistance, +43.6 Energy resistance, +8.7 Tetryon resistance, +5.8 Polaron resistance, +5.8 Antiproton resistance, and 8.4 shield regen every 4 seconds? So what 'stinks' about that? Oh, it's not UR MkXIV :confounded: Yeah, you got me there... ;)

The shield's Mk XII [Cap] [Rev] 308.7 capacity, with 'Chance to damage the attacker when you take damage. The stronger the attack, the more powerful the retaliation'. Sure, it's on my list of things to upgrade, but it's hardly inadequate :D

By comparison, to get something with a higher capacity, one has to go up to Ultra Rare. On the exchange, only the VR Mk XII shields with the [Cap] modifier, are the exact same capacity as the one I've currently got loaded: 308.7. All the other VR Mk XIIs are 280.6.

There is a rather nice UR MkXIV [Cap] [Dis] [PBDmg] [Pha] with 402.8 capacity, with 20% reduction in disrupter and phaser damage, and 'chance to deal 15 damage to all nearby foes when you take damage', 18,800,000.

I don't know how deep your space-pockets are, or how much latinum you've got stashed under your bed, but for a new player 19M is not easily affordable, unless they're seriously into Exchange PvP or throw cash-through-keys at their balance ;)
    Have you considered one of the many REP ground sets ? Or even the Nahkul freebie mission set ? You'd be a lot better off suiting up in one of those.
    And if you did the AoY slog, Rep sets come out automatically at MkXIII Ultra rare. You may want to start there...
    Kek hasn't hit the Na'kuhl arc yet, so doesn't have access to that gear. I did mention above, that someone with Fleet armor and Na'kuhl shield is pretty much untouchable, so I'm not unaware that there is better gear available later in the game, but I think people seem to be missing the point, which is mentioned in the very title, that this was written as a Beginner's Guide, for players hitting the zone for the very first time. Not returning players, with all the cool Endgame gear in their inventories, or existing players levelling a new alt character, who has 'sponsorship' from another character :tongue:

It's not possible to do AoY Ferengi. Suggesting that people use gear that their character has no access to, isn't really very helpful ;) The aim of this guide, was to give any beginner an idea of how to deal with the Vaadwaur and their tactics, without expensive gear :sunglasses:
    You could also be using a better kit then some random one you found during a pve.
    Dude, don't be making assumptions. You don't know what that kit is or where I got it. For the record, it's [Regen] [Will] [WpnDmg]. +28.1 weapon proficiency, +28.1 willpower, and +28.1 health regen, and it was purchased off the exchange. So the point which we're not seeing eye to eye on: Is there better available? Sure. But not at 'easy money' prices, nor stuff that a beginning player, may know to look for ;)
    There's many kit varieties to be found on the exchange for relatively cheap. I'd recommend a Delta kit with Kperfx2 (minimum). The Kperfx2 varieties sell for super cheap on the exchange.
    I just looked on the exchange, and the first Delta kit with Kperfx2 is 10M, so not what I would call 'super cheap', for a new player ;)
    Why would you even use small shield charges ?
    The large shield charges aren't that expensive. :confused:
    If truth be told, I couldn't be bothered to come off the Kobali Prime map, to get to the Voth ground map to buy them, because my pc likes to crash at almost every map change. And, knowing how much gougers like to overcharge for stuff like ensign and lieutenant manuals on the exchange, I didn't feel like using the Azura call code just to see how much they want for large charges ;) I loaded up with what the inventory replicator dishes out for the sake of getting a fee screenshots. Is that okay with you? ;):tongue::sunglasses:
    I mean, just looking at your gear and set up, I gotta wonder, are you trying to make your life more difficult for yourself ? Because you're succeeding at it.
    :tongue:
    +5.8 Polaron resistance is pretty handy against a race who exclusively uses polaron hand-cannons, is it not :tongue:
    +28.1 weapon proficiency, +28.1 willpower, and +28.1 health regen, and 'Chance to damage the attacker when you take damage. The stronger the attack, the more powerful the retaliation', are not exactly irrelevant to the task at hand ;)

*You'd think a guy writing a guide on a specific area of the game would know the actual area. As stated there's shield charges for sale on site.

Your gear looks like you threw together whatever odds and ends you had on hand at the last min. Sorry that's just how it looked to me on first glance.

Nothing wrong with Poly armor or your shield per say... but, you passed on using several sets available through mission rewards leading up to the delta quad and Kobali prime point in the storyline. Not sure why'd you do that. You're passing up set bonuses for standalone gear that isn't that special to begin with.
    Yeah high caps are nice, but not everything.
    You passed on the rom Imperial navy gear. Shield base at mkXII (free upgrade to XII) is 414 cap, with energy damage resistance to shields + chance of outgoing energy damage buff when hit by enemy attack. Much better then that Rev shield you're sporting around. And its free.

You elude to the fact that dual pistols are the way to go due to rate of fire. Yet the Piercing plasma rifle is not quite *fast* enough.
    Last I checked, the PPR has one of the fastest rates of fire in the game.. and you can hold down the secondary for a sustained rapid fire burst, same goes for the repeater.
    I'd argue they have a faster rate of fire per period of time with the secondary sustained bursts taken into account.
    So I don't see how the dual pistols are any better then the latter. Other then personal preference.
    (Which in fairness you do mention)

10million Delta kit aside (for Kperfx2) - which is really not that expensive in the grand scheme of things (though they have gone up in price since I last looked).
    There's other variations of the Delta kit that sell for no more then 50k-100k that still come stock with CrtH/CrtD or CrtX. Not too mention a bunch of other lockbox kits that sell for dirt cheap that would give you +energy damage bonus. Herald Kits comes to mind for bonus specific energy damage.
    Rom navy/Counter Command kits to name but a few others options you passed on.
    I see you have a disruptor rifle in your secondary slot. CC Kit would synergize with that at 2 pieces.

In regards to the AoY ultra rare MK XIII rep items; had you taken part, your Ferengi would've been able to claim that benefit.

But further to all this, you don't utilize science boffs. Which is one of the first things that could be suggested if you're having a hard time surviving in a zone.
    Speaking of boffs, your choices are a little odd. A human and a female orion ?
    Don't you have access to Nelen Exil ? Breen Boff ? Jem Hadar Boff ? Borg Sci boff ? EMH Engineering boff ?
    They're generally better ground troops then a regular joe human (with 1 space trait) and an Orion with seduce.

Also, you've got 2 tribbles in your device slots. So basically wasting a slot.

No trait advice, no skill tree advice. No doff advice.

Your guide boils down to suggesting the use of dual pistols and to stay close to your boffs... and some minor tactics. Not very useful or insightful imo.
    But, its your guide.. and perhaps I'm being overly critical, so put whatever you like in it. I was just providing some feedback as to why you may be having difficulties in that particular zone.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User

The plasma repeater is pretty decent, but I prefer the plasma piercing beam rifle. However, I got a plasma repeater with [CrtD]x2 [Run] on my on one of my characters. Whenever I go to the Voth Ground Battlezone I always equip it as a secondary weapon. It would be nice to get the piercing rifle with the [Run] mod though.
  • Options
    But, its your guide.. and perhaps I'm being overly critical, so put whatever you like in it. I was just providing some feedback as to why you may be having difficulties in that particular zone.
    You are being overly critical, there's no 'perhaps' about it. You aren't 'just' providing feedback (none was sought) you just felt the need to be critical.

I'm not having difficulties with the zone. I never said I was having difficulties with the zone with this character, or this set up of equipment. I'm nothaving difficulties with this character or this set up. I said, I had difficulties the very first time I played the zone, with my very first character. I learned those lessons, and applying them this time round I'm having no difficulties, so I thought I'd share them. You're making me wish I hadn't bothered.
    *You'd think a guy writing a guide on a specific area of the game would know the actual area. As stated there's shield charges for sale on site.
    I never said I knew everything about the map, I was offering a guide on dealing with the Vaadwaur, not stocking up an inventory. If the guide doesn't apply to you, why have you even bothered to comment?
    Your gear looks like you threw together whatever odds and ends you had on hand at the last min. Sorry that's just how it looked to me on first glance.
    I don't remember soliciting your feedback on the set I had, I think you were just in the mood to nitpick, so decided to start making statements about anything you thought you could see and pass comment on, without knowing what you were looking at.
    Nothing wrong with Poly armor or your shield per say... but, you passed on using several sets available through mission rewards leading up to the delta quad and Kobali prime point in the storyline. Not sure why'd you do that. You're passing up set bonuses for standalone gear that isn't that special to begin with.
    Yeah high caps are nice, but not everything.
    You passed on the rom Imperial navy gear. Shield base at mkXII (free upgrade to XII) is 414 cap, with energy damage resistance to shields + chance of outgoing energy damage buff when hit by enemy attack. Much better then that Rev shield you're sporting around. And its free.
    So was this shield... The Cardassian who previously owned it, didn't need it any more ;) As for why I don't use the RIN gear; Because I didn't particularly want to :tongue: So high caps aren't everything, but the very first thing you then throw down the stat of a higher cap, compared to what I'm using :D Just admit it: You saw a blue shield, and thought that because it was blue, it would be junk, and give you an in-road to take a pop at my set up, despite said set up not even being the point of the guide. It's better than the purple equivalents on the exchange at the same Mk, and I have the screenshots to prove it. And, those shields on the exchange with higher capacity and stats, are likely out of the price-range for a brand new player ;)
    You elude to the fact that dual pistols are the way to go due to rate of fire. Yet the Piercing plasma rifle is not quite *fast* enough.
    Last I checked, the PPR has one of the fastest rates of fire in the game.. and you can hold down the secondary for a sustained rapid fire burst, same goes for the repeater.
    I'd argue they have a faster rate of fire per period of time with the secondary sustained bursts taken into account.
    So I don't see how the dual pistols are any better then the latter. Other then personal preference.
    (Which in fairness you do mention)
    The dual pistols are better (IMO) because they have the exact same proc as what the Vaadwaur are using, and because each character has two of them, meaning that there is a greater output of said proc, compared to being able to only use one PPR. I tried the trio with the PPB rifles. The primary firing mode is slower than the dual pistols, and the secondary fire mode, sprays all over the place, so (IMO) not as effective as the dual pistols. YMMV :sunglasses:
    10million Delta kit aside (for Kperfx2) - which is really not that expensive in the grand scheme of things (though they have gone up in price since I last looked).
    There's other variations of the Delta kit that sell for no more then 50k-100k that still come stock with CrtH/CrtD or CrtX. Not too mention a bunch of other lockbox kits that sell for dirt cheap that would give you +energy damage bonus. Herald Kits comes to mind for bonus specific energy damage.
    Oh no you don't, no shifting the goalposts because I debunked your suggestion about Kperfx2. And in the grand scheme of things, no, 10M isn't 'that expensive'. Certainly not for someone who's been playing a number of years, and who has a fair ec balance.

But are you not understanding that this guide was written for people who have literally only just started to play the game? They're not going to have 10M ec, certainly not to spend on just one item. Anyone replaying, as I said, will have the resources. A New Player will not have them. This guide is not written for Endgame players. It's not written for players with equipment which comes later in the game. It's written for players who are literally just starting to play, who are levelling up for the first time, and who are making do with what they've got... :tongue:
    Rom navy/Counter Command kits to name but a few others options you passed on.
    I see you have a disruptor rifle in your secondary slot. CC Kit would synergize with that at 2 pieces.
    Thanks for the suggestion :sunglasses:
    In regards to the AoY ultra rare MK XIII rep items; had you taken part, your Ferengi would've been able to claim that benefit.
    I have an AoY character, but he was created just after the temporal agent event finished.
    But further to all this, you don't utilize science boffs. Which is one of the first things that could be suggested if you're having a hard time surviving in a zone.
    Again, I'm not having a hard time surviving the zone ;) Also, as mentioned, my science boff has recently become TRIBBLE. She used to be fine, until about a week ago (probably some tweak in Thursday's 'maintenance' and now, she goes down faster than a tactical boff with Draw Fire and no shield slotted :confused:
    Speaking of boffs, your choices are a little odd. A human and a female orion ?

Don't you have access to Nelen Exil ? Breen Boff ? Jem Hadar Boff ? Borg Sci boff ? EMH Engineering boff ?
    They're generally better ground troops then a regular joe human (with 1 space trait) and an Orion with seduce.
    Nope... I could have had a Jem'Hadar boff, but I didn't want one. None of the others you've suggested, have ever been reward options for me :(

The human is Elisa Flores, so she has Leadership, Superior Peak Health, Superior Soldier and Superior Teamwork. The Orion, is an aliengen, not a diplomatic boff. Her traits are Acute Senses, Peak Health, Superior Aggression and Superior Cold Blooded. Unlike their Trill crewmate, I have no issues with their performance ;)
    Also, you've got 2 tribbles in your device slots. So basically wasting a slot.
    No, the top one is a Gambling Device ;)
    No trait advice, no skill tree advice. No doff advice.
    Not things I have the knowledge to comment on.
    Your guide boils down to suggesting the use of dual pistols and to stay close to your boffs... and some minor tactics. Not very useful or insightful imo.
    Tell you what, you write something more comprehensive, and I'll delete this one.

But thanks for taking the time to TRIBBLE on my work :sunglasses:

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Nelen exil comes as a reward from the end of the voth rep grind, each tier gives a small cutscene and the end is a short flight.

Borg sci boff is also a rep based boff but unlocked by marks similar to buying gear.
  • Options
    Nelen exil comes as a reward from the end of the voth rep grind, each tier gives a small cutscene and the end is a short flight.

Borg sci boff is also a rep based boff but unlocked by marks similar to buying gear.

• Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I understand the reason the Vaadaur was more difficult in Sompek...some sort of attack it gets that knocks you out in one hit?? No way to avoid it....no red hazard to denote it coming your direction, either.

I assume: Vaadaur in these missions do not have that? If not, no sense in my skipping missions to get to Delta Quad to see it for myself.

UGH....I will have to bite the bullet and do this Sompek thing next time it comes around.

Actually, there is, if you are an engi, you can use your energy dome, that keeps the enemy away, i used it every time on Sompek, so i know it works, thou i havent tested it in the Delta missions..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »

The plasma repeater is pretty decent, but I prefer the plasma piercing beam rifle. However, I got a plasma repeater with [CrtD]x2 [Run] on my on one of my characters. Whenever I go to the Voth Ground Battlezone I always equip it as a secondary weapon. It would be nice to get the piercing rifle with the [Run] mod though.

Winner.... The piercing beam is the bomb.... I love the repeater as well but the rifle is better... I have bother at CrtDx3 so they are sweet... I wish I had the [Run] proc on them but sadly not...
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    It's amazing how so many people that have been playing this game for years and know all the little tricks to building up EC think that 10M EC for a single piece of gear is easily doable for a brand new player. At the same time I also see old timers advising new players on gear/traits/etc and they almost always list off a number of things only available by spending multi-multi millions of EC, or a lot of Zen, as if all new players are either space rich or RL rich so they can easily become space rich (not so much in this thread as in lots of others)

I think the OP had the right idea in mind, listing the gear he used, gear obtained while playing missions leading up to Kobali prime and not recommending gear only available in later missions, or rep gear, or extremely expensive (for a brand new player) gear off the exchange. New players need guides that are based on tactics others have found that work while using only weapons/gear/skills a new player would have already had access to at that point. Sure, you can skip a bunch of missions, go grab some really good gear and then come back, but that totally destroys the immersion and story line. Sure, you can stop enjoying the game, read up on all the "how to make EC" guides and concentrate on padding your STO account to buy some really good gear first before tackling the mission, once again destroying the immersion and story line.

And just my opinion, but I think someone needs to learn the difference between being blunt and being insulting, especially when neither action is warranted.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I can list off a whole mess of completely free VR equipment from mission rewards that is both better than that proposed by the OP & available from missions well before ever reaching Kobali Prime. For example, the previously mentioned Jem Hadar ground set, or you could run Step Between Stars a few times for several very good armored EV suits, several missions in the Borg arc have VR ground weapons in the rewards, and on and on and on. There are many many options available even if one is for some inexplicable reason unable to grasp just how easy it is to generate EC without any expenditure of RL money whatsoever.
    Then do it.

Put your money where your mouth is, actually do something constructive for the community for once: Write a better, more comprehensive guide than I did, rather than just always claiming to know best and putting other people's opinions down.

• Options
    arionisa wrote: »
    It's amazing how so many people that have been playing this game for years and know all the little tricks to building up EC think that 10M EC for a single piece of gear is easily doable for a brand new player. At the same time I also see old timers advising new players on gear/traits/etc and they almost always list off a number of things only available by spending multi-multi millions of EC, or a lot of Zen, as if all new players are either space rich or RL rich so they can easily become space rich (not so much in this thread as in lots of others)

I think the OP had the right idea in mind, listing the gear he used, gear obtained while playing missions leading up to Kobali prime and not recommending gear only available in later missions, or rep gear, or extremely expensive (for a brand new player) gear off the exchange. New players need guides that are based on tactics others have found that work while using only weapons/gear/skills a new player would have already had access to at that point. Sure, you can skip a bunch of missions, go grab some really good gear and then come back, but that totally destroys the immersion and story line. Sure, you can stop enjoying the game, read up on all the "how to make EC" guides and concentrate on padding your STO account to buy some really good gear first before tackling the mission, once again destroying the immersion and story line.

And just my opinion, but I think someone needs to learn the difference between being blunt and being insulting, especially when neither action is warranted.
    Thank you, that's very much appreciated :sunglasses:

• Options
    redvenge wrote: »
    You seem confused. The first Vaadwaur Overseer you encounter is in the mission Capture the Flag. That one (named Relin) is completely invincible until you lure him under some tubes that vent plasma (on a side note, why would you EVER have a system that vents deadly plasma into your engine room?!). Then he is vulnerable for a few seconds. You may have to spritz him with large tube plasma a few times before he dies in a cutscene.
    I'm alright that the Overseers do not telegraph their attacks. I'm less alright with the fact they can chain knockdown your character and that their attacks ignore knockback resistance and immunity.

Of course I am confused.
    I never done a single mission in the Delta Quad Arc NOR have I ever done Sompek.
    I am gathering data for myself.

I just want to know where I can engage the Vaadwaur Overseer to see how it acts.
    Then move on to the next Sompek Event, and see how Vaadwaur acts in that.

Then, chart the differences. Find out if it is broken or acting normal.

What engine room are you referring to, anyways?
    Is that Capture the Flag or Sompek?

• Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    I use the Map button, alot, whenever I am on Kobali Prime. No need to wander about aimlessly bumping into mobs which slow you down and then use up limited resources (like time) when there are other routes which will take to where you want to go.

The BOff controls are also very useful for setting up flanking attacks and ambushes. Why have your BOffs clustered tightly behind you when you can use the BOff movement contols to set a flank guard while moving to a new location?

Use the terrain. For concealment while moving. Move from one concealed position to the next one. Try to keep some type of concealing terrain between you and those random mobs. The paths marked on the map don't always use the best concealment when advancing on your objective.

People forget it isn't neccessary to stand still to hold ground. As long as your weapons can hit and kill something on the ground in question, it belongs to you. You don't have to stand right in the middle of it without moving to make this happen.

Good movement techniques can go a long way towards being a force multiplier.

Check you Abilities before fighting! Check you abilities before fighting! And of course, always check you Abilities before fighting! Nothing is worse than finishing off one mob while another is bearing own on you and all your good stuff is on CD. Move out of the engagement area and come back after that mob has moved on or your Abilties are off CD.

Don't pick a fight just to pick a fight with one of the mobs. Unless you outnumber them. Or they are looking the other way. Preferably both. But if you are going to fight a random mob, have a good reason for doing so. Like they are the smallest mob on the route you've chosen to get into and out of the objective.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »

I'd go for the PPBR too, but as I play in shooter mode (Heresy!), the PPBRs inability to really run and gun mean its less of a weapon for me compared to the minigun pistol, which basically lets my cap circle strafe a mob like he was a reject from a DooM
    game
  • Options
    I use the Map button, alot, whenever I am on Kobali Prime. No need to wander about aimlessly bumping into mobs which slow you down and then use up limited resources (like time) when there are other routes which will take to where you want to go.

The BOff controls are also very useful for setting up flanking attacks and ambushes. Why have your BOffs clustered tightly behind you when you can use the BOff movement contols to set a flank guard while moving to a new location?

Use the terrain. For concealment while moving. Move from one concealed position to the next one. Try to keep some type of concealing terrain between you and those random mobs. The paths marked on the map don't always use the best concealment when advancing on your objective.

People forget it isn't neccessary to stand still to hold ground. As long as your weapons can hit and kill something on the ground in question, it belongs to you. You don't have to stand right in the middle of it without moving to make this happen.

Good movement techniques can go a long way towards being a force multiplier.

Check you Abilities before fighting! Check you abilities before fighting! And of course, always check you Abilities before fighting! Nothing is worse than finishing off one mob while another is bearing own on you and all your good stuff is on CD. Move out of the engagement area and come back after that mob has moved on or your Abilties are off CD.

Don't pick a fight just to pick a fight with one of the mobs. Unless you outnumber them. Or they are looking the other way. Preferably both. But if you are going to fight a random mob, have a good reason for doing so. Like they are the smallest mob on the route you've chosen to get into and out of the objective.
    Awesome suggestions :sunglasses:

• Options
    @baddmoonrizin Can I have this closed? The information has been withdrawn due to public opinion, so there's no point in another argument thread.

• Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    I wish you had not taken this down Silverlobes. This was a good guide for a beginner. Heck I even picked up a couple of tips from it and I don't know how many times I have ran these missions. Please say you still have a copy of this.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    I wish you had not taken this down Silverlobes. This was a good guide for a beginner. Heck I even picked up a couple of tips from it and I don't know how many times I have ran these missions. Please say you still have a copy of this.
    Thank you, that's nice to hear :sunglasses: Do you think it's worth reposting under Player Guides? The impression I got, was that I don't know what I'm talking about, that my gear is apparently junk, and that what was written was 'not very useful or insightful'... :no_mouth: I'm pleased to hear you picked up some tips, may I ask what they were?

• Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I'd say put it back up and don't let others inability to give a decent critique stop you. Things like the AoY mk13 simply doesn't work for a new player as that was a short run promo from a year or more ago. Good info, but not in context of a newbie stepping foot on prime for the first time as to unlock you'd have to have run enough content to grind out 9 reps including delta and beyond.

Your gear might have been "junk" from one perspective but if looked at from the perspective of someone levelling through the content as a relative newbie or player who hasn't focussed on grinding ec & dil it will be something they can look at to fill holes in their loadout.

I've been playing off and on since launch and try to avoid buying off the exchange as much as possible. Partly because there are those who focus on buying to resell leading to a ton of gouging and partly because I always try and be self sufficient in mmo's.

Maybe consider this thread as a dry run and tweak info as you feel like it based on what was put down in replies.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Don't close this down, please. Nice to see useful information for newer players. And for older players as well. The Internet is what it is. Always gonna be someone who has something smartass to say about whatever it is you write. Because on the Internet none of us are really people and there are no consequences for actions which most people would never dare take in a face to face situation. So buck up, thicken that skin and ignore the trolls. Giving them attention is feeding them. Keep rolling on and don't bother to reply to them.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Don't close this down. Just because a few arrogant fools think that because the map is no difficulty for them your guide is wrong or worthless.
    You clearly stated that this was for people coming to Kobali for the first time whilst leveling so any help there is worth it. A lot of new players won't have decent expensive gear, nor will they understand tactics or exactly how the enemy behaves.

Plus this thread has brought a fair few other decent bits of advice from other people too, all worth it if you ask me. This sort of discussion is what the forum should be used for.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    Of course I am confused.
    I never done a single mission in the Delta Quad Arc NOR have I ever done Sompek.
    I see. I did not realize you were unfamiliar with the Delta Arc.
    I am gathering data for myself.

I just want to know where I can engage the Vaadwaur Overseer to see how it acts.
    Then move on to the next Sompek Event, and see how Vaadwaur acts in that.

Then, chart the differences. Find out if it is broken or acting normal.
    The Vaadwaur Overseer in Sompek is the same as the Vaadwaur Overseer in Dragon's Deceit (located at the very end of the mission) and in Takedown (the end of the mission is on ground and you fight two or more Vaadwaur Overseer's, depending on the difficulty selected and number of players).

In the Sompek Arena, enemies continue to scale in difficulty. Some of them get a little broken at higher difficulties. The Vaadwaur Overseer performs a "chain-knockdown" attack that prevents your character from taking more than a single action between it's attacks. Since the Overseer does physical melee damage, it's attacks bypass 80% of your shields. It can also knock you out of the Force Field Dome, which totally sucks.

Best defense against the higher-leveled Vaadwaur Overseers seems to be mines. They severely slow the Overseer and give you some breathing room to perform more actions. It's also possible to "chain-knockdown" the Overseer using Sweeping Strikes (with knockdown Traits and DOFFs), but this becomes a "rocket-tag" scenario where your character has to be the first one attacking.
    What engine room are you referring to, anyways?
    Is that Capture the Flag or Sompek?
    Capture the Flag, at the very end, where you face off against Relin the invincible Vaadwaur.
  • Options
    I'd say put it back up and don't let others inability to give a decent critique stop you. Things like the AoY mk13 simply doesn't work for a new player as that was a short run promo from a year or more ago. Good info, but not in context of a newbie stepping foot on prime for the first time as to unlock you'd have to have run enough content to grind out 9 reps including delta and beyond.

Your gear might have been "junk" from one perspective but if looked at from the perspective of someone levelling through the content as a relative newbie or player who hasn't focussed on grinding ec & dil it will be something they can look at to fill holes in their loadout.

I've been playing off and on since launch and try to avoid buying off the exchange as much as possible. Partly because there are those who focus on buying to resell leading to a ton of gouging and partly because I always try and be self sufficient in mmo's.

Maybe consider this thread as a dry run and tweak info as you feel like it based on what was put down in replies.
    Don't close this down, please. Nice to see useful information for newer players. And for older players as well. The Internet is what it is. Always gonna be someone who has something smartass to say about whatever it is you write. Because on the Internet none of us are really people and there are no consequences for actions which most people would never dare take in a face to face situation. So buck up, thicken that skin and ignore the trolls. Giving them attention is feeding them. Keep rolling on and don't bother to reply to them.
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    Don't close this down. Just because a few arrogant fools think that because the map is no difficulty for them your guide is wrong or worthless.
    You clearly stated that this was for people coming to Kobali for the first time whilst leveling so any help there is worth it. A lot of new players won't have decent expensive gear, nor will they understand tactics or exactly how the enemy behaves.

Plus this thread has brought a fair few other decent bits of advice from other people too, all worth it if you ask me. This sort of discussion is what the forum should be used for.
    Thank you all for the feedback and encouragement :sunglasses: The support is much appreciated, amigos, so I have indeed, re-posted the guide :sunglasses: It's a good job iPads store deleted notes for 30 days :D:D