test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Surviving the Trenches: A beginner's guide to fighting the Vaadwaur on Kobali Prime

silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
edited September 2017 in The Academy
This is written to help any new players who are hitting Kobali Prime for the first time, and who may be finding the Vaadwaur trenches a challenge.

I'm writing from the perspective of someone who plays with an engineering character, not tactical or science. If you play either of those careers, you may or may not be able to extrapolate and transpose the following for your own style of gameplay.

"Good evening, do you have a moment so we can discuss the Rules of Acquisition with you?"

joymE1z.jpg

"Fail to prepare; Prepare to fail..."

"Remember the six 'P's: Proper Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance."

The first time I played the missions on a now defunct character, I didn't know what was going on, and wound up respawning. A Lot. I didn't really have much idea on kits and boff powers, beyond letting the boffs do their default thing (I hadn't even worked out at that point, how to train them in new skills) I forget which weapons I was using, I think a split-beam phaser rifle, but they weren't really up to the task of dealing with how the Vaadwaur act, and how they act in the trenches. But from observing how the Vaadwaur were putting my character down, that showed me how I needed to be thinking and fighting. The old maxim of "Know Your Enemy" really applies here.

Vaadwaur Tactics:
Fighting Klingons on the ground, they tend to charge and attack, but can be fought face to face. Not so with the Vaadwaur.

Vaadwaur move in packs of three or more. They use Polaron weapons which in a pack, hit pretty rapidly. will drain your shields with each hit, they move quickly, and they will try and flank you.

So how do you counter this?

By mirroring their tactics.

You need to employ: Aggression, Defensiveness, and Mobility

How can you be both aggressive and defensive? By using defensive heals and boosts to counter the effects of their weapons, and then using that resistance to allow you to be aggressive towards the attacker. Keep moving. If you stand still, they will try and flank you. So don't give them the chance. Keep moving, and firing on the run.

I've seen players going into the trenches with heavy-weapons like the Boolean cannon, and while I've tried that, and it is survivable, personally, I prefer to equip a weapon which still allows for full sprinting without being slowed down.

The Vaadwaur use polaron weapons, so I consider it only right to return the favor. But by tooling up with dual pistols off the exchange, as that allows for a much faster rate of returning fire, than what they're dishing out. It's a bit like going up against the Fek'lhri with their anti-proton turrets, and the constant barrage which they put out. The only difference, is this time, you're the one putting out the barrage, not being on the receiving end of it ;)

Rate of fire is pretty much the key to overwhelming a Vaadwaur patrol. The piercing plasma rifle, is fast, but not really fast enough. A full auto Federation rifle? Forget about it... Having the right weapons plays a significant part in changing the environment from 'difficult and frustrating' to 'rather fun to run around, blasting on fools' ;) Run into the trenches armed with TR-116Bs, and you're respawning quickly ;) It needs the speed of the dual pistols (of six pistols) to really give the Vaadwaur a taste of their own medicine, and cut through them.

Your boffs are your teammates: Look after them, and they will look after you.

iJQiznq.jpg

Let them run off doing their own thing, while you try and do your thing, and that's when they can be overwhelmed. If they go down, you then have to revive them, leaving yourself vulnerable to attack. Without them, you can also be overwhelmed. Stick close to them; You benefit from them, they benefit from you :sunglasses:

Choice in boffs: Personally, I go for a tactical boff, and an engineering boff. Beam turrets take too long to set up to be effective in this situation, and the fight is over before they can be effective. But mines are good for creating a defensive perimeter for if you're going to be stopping to actually interact with the equipment in the trenches, such as tapping their communications. Medical generators can also be helpful. I won't say 'lifesavers', because they take too long to set up, and heal too slowly, to be considered a 'last ditch' in a fight, but, they're good to use after a fight, to bring everyone back up to full health before moving on to the next objective. I find that having an engineering boff, means one boff taking on the role of 'team medic', which allows the player to focus on their own survival, and any objective at hand, rather than having to think about healing the team too.

0wjdSDx.jpg

Gear: I'm not using anything spectacularly expensive (assuming you have a reasonable exchange budget ;) ) Think survivability. Shield boosts and health heals being a priority. I'm personally using two different shield recharges, Reroute Power to Shields to heal Kek, Shield Pulse to heal the boffs, and Scarab Plating as a backup for if shields fail while still on cooldown (with hypos and shield charges also loaded as emergency backups) to save that damage coming straight out of the health.

JIkF28A.jpg

Stuff like drones can be fun to use, but their deployment time, like the time taken to call down an Orbital Strike, is time which could simply be used hammering the fire key ;) I left them loaded, but mines really are more useful.

While it's possible to tank a Vaadwaur attack (or is 'turtle' the correct term?) it requires attention and management. Tanking the attack and not fighting back, will just waste the boost by letting it time out, and you'll still be taking fire. So use the heals and boosts, then unleash the fury against the attackers.

Why have I focussed on the trenches? The trenches amplify the Vaadwaur's 'swamp and flank' tactics, with not just one patrol, but several patrols, from multiple approaches. In the trench intersections, where some device interaction is required for a mission, it is very easy to get cornered and swamped, with no option but to fight your way clear. Other maps, such as defending the city bridge, they're coming from one direction, and easy (or easier) to defeat, and more options to evade or take cover.

But not in the trenches...

Master the trenches, and the Vaadwaur become handleable in all other environments :sunglasses:

Of course, these are simply my own experiences and thoughts, your findings may vary :sunglasses:
"I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
Post edited by silverlobes#2676 on

Comments

• Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Ah... just what I need.

Shouldn't this be under "Player Guides" in the Academy?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Wait....this isn't the same thing as the pita Vaadaur in Sompek is it?

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Ah... just what I need.

Maybe, I just figured it might reach more people here, as there are often 'help' threads :sunglasses:
    Wait....this isn't the same thing as the pita Vaadaur in Sompek is it?
    Yup, same species. Probably easier to handle in Sompek, as it's a more open terrain :sunglasses: When they first appear in Revelations, the open terrain (IMO) lent a false sense of security as to their tactics. The same tactics which are avoidable and easy to deal with on the open map of the Turei homeworld, become lethal in the trenches of Kobali Prime ;)

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    As a Tac player i've found that a combo of Ambush and a variety of AOE ranged attacks like grenades, split beams, Sompek lightning module etc can be very nice to take out whole groups without getting shot back.
    And arming your team with TR116 sniper rifles to get extra range can be good too.

For the missions higher up the mountain a team, or at least working with other passing players is pretty useful as the repawn rate of Kobali prime seems to be really fast. Lots of other friendlies helps to keep the Vaadwaur busy.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    I understand the reason the Vaadaur was more difficult in Sompek...some sort of attack it gets that knocks you out in one hit?? No way to avoid it....no red hazard to denote it coming your direction, either.

I assume: Vaadaur in these missions do not have that? If not, no sense in my skipping missions to get to Delta Quad to see it for myself.

UGH....I will have to bite the bullet and do this Sompek thing next time it comes around.

• Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, kobali prime isn't exactly "hard" it's just very annoying because their respawn is nuts. On new characters that haven't unlocked the transporters I load up on hypos and the temporal flux and just book it. Not wasting time by fighting non mission critical mobs that respawn in less than a minute again.
  • Options
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    As a Tac player i've found that a combo of Ambush and a variety of AOE ranged attacks like grenades, split beams, Sompek lightning module etc can be very nice to take out whole groups without getting shot back.
    And arming your team with TR116 sniper rifles to get extra range can be good too.

For the missions higher up the mountain a team, or at least working with other passing players is pretty useful as the repawn rate of Kobali prime seems to be really fast. Lots of other friendlies helps to keep the Vaadwaur busy.
    Thanks for the contribution :sunglasses:

Before posting this, I actually tried all characters with TRs. Things didn't go well... :confounded: I'll definitely give the Sompek module another try, it's just seemed to be a bit hit and miss lately (maybe just my persception)

And absolutely, up the mountain, things get easier with more hands :sunglasses: Are tactical players still able to call in reinforcements in the Kobali map? If so, that would give them the equivalent of a full away team, which I could also see making a significant difference :sunglasses:

• Options
    Yeah, kobali prime isn't exactly "hard" it's just very annoying because their respawn is nuts. On new characters that haven't unlocked the transporters I load up on hypos and the temporal flux and just book it. Not wasting time by fighting non mission critical mobs that respawn in less than a minute again.
    Precisely. As an Endgame character returning, it's somewhere to run about for the lulz. When I first levelled, it was with pretty much zero budget, no real understanding of boffs or kits, so it was a very different situation. I figured if someone coming to the map for the first time does so with a heads up, they'd find it easier :sunglasses:

• Options
    I use a antiproton assault shotgun or the horogen assualt blast tetryon rifle. I also set traps like put my away team on a ledge and lay mines down and flank with a grenade then my team hits them from behind as they run at me i back into my mines and they die, rinse wash repeat.
    Awesome :D:D

• Options
    valoreah wrote: »

Yes.
    lordsteve1 wrote: »

Never had an issue with the Vaadwaur myself. They are more a nuisance than difficult IMO. If you are specced properly with at least uncommon gear, they should pose no real threat to you. The TR116 is definitely a heavy hitter, especially if you are a TAC or your TAC BOFF is equipped with one. Just position yourself in a flanking position and you'll be 1 shotting them most of the time.

Personally, I've found SCI captains to be most effective against them. Electro Gravitic Field > Exothermic Induction Field and more often than not they're dead before they can get a shot off.

Interesting, thanks for the contribution :sunglasses:

• Options
    @baddmoonrizin If this is in the wrong place, please can it be moved to the right one? Seeing the 'help with consoles' thread, I figured it would be okay to put something like this here. Cheers :sunglasses:

• Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Kobali Prime is not very difficult, the Vaadwaur can be annoying as mentioned above though. My characters and Boffs relies on the Plasma Wide Beam Rifle which can damage up to 5 enemies in the cone of fire. My characters have the Romulan Imperial Navy Kit Frame for the extra plasma damage and they use the Na'khul Armor and Shield for the 2.5% critical chance and 30% critical severity set bonus, or I simply use the Romulan Imperial Navy Armor and Na'Khul Shield. The R.I.N. Armor provides a +50% secondary damage bonus; the R.I.N. two piece bonus gives +10% Energy Damage Resistance when aiming, and +30% Critical Severity when crouching. It's best to be mobile when fighting the Vaadwaur, but there are some missions where you can crouch to take control or protect an area.

When it comes to doing the Voth Ground Battlezone / Kobali Prime which only allows 2 Boffs, I always have 1 science and 1 engineer regardless of the character's career.

Science - Med Tricorder I & II, Cold Fusion Flash III, Hyperonic Radiation II
    Engineer - Sabotage I, Minefield II, Explosive Drone III Explosive Drone II, Quantum Mortar II

Standard gear are as follows:
    - Ultra Rare Na'khul Armor Mk XIV
    - Ultra Rare Na'khul Shield Mk XIV
    - Ultra Rare Plasma Wide Beam Rifle Mk XIV
    - 40 Large Hypos
    - Kelvin Timeline Tribble; except for Klingons since tribbles do not like them.

I also have not bothered to allocate specialization points into the specialization trees for all of my characters which basically means any level 50+ character should not have much of a problem on Kobali Prime when using a good strategy.
    Post edited by jaguarskx on
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The respawn is based on the assumption that the zone will be full of people slaughtering the vaudwaar, semi accurate when delta grinding first arrived

But it has never been adjusted so some of the clear camp X and use console Y can hit respawns if a patrol happens along and drags others in as the social aggro does seem to overlap and be quite a big radius.

All calms down once you get to the breaking the wall section where the only real bother is for console players who use trigger aim down sights and somehow cause mortars to aggro stuff miles in the distance. Not so much a zone issue as a bad port issue.

The leapy vaudwaar is from a couple of story missions, thankfully they don't appear on prime at all.

Best way to handle the trenches is really to just open the map and see what paths can be taken to skirt round and hit objectives with the least amount of combat.

As for boffs avoid using a hologram as if they go down trying to find their light bee is a pita.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Kobali Prime is not very difficult, the Vaadwaur can be annoying as mentioned above though. My characters and Boffs relies on the Plasma Wide Beam Rifle which can damage up to 5 enemies in the cone of fire. My characters have the Romulan Imperial Navy Kit Frame for the extra plasma damage and they use the Na'khul Armor and Shield for the 2.5% critical chance and 30% critical severity set bonus, or I simply use the Romulan Imperial Navy Armor and Na'Khul Shield. The R.I.N. Armor provides a +50% secondary damage bonus; the R.I.N. two piece bonus gives +10% Energy Damage Resistance when aiming, and +30% Critical Severity when crouching. It's best to be mobile when fighting the Vaadwaur, but there are some missions where you can crouch to take control or protect an area.

When it comes to doing the Voth Ground Battlezone / Kobali Prime which only allows 2 Boffs, I always have 1 science and 1 engineer regardless of the character's career.

Science - Med Tricorder I & II, Cold Fusion Flash III, Hyperonic Radiation II
    Engineer - Sabotage I, Minefield II, Explosive Drone III, Quantum Mortar II

Standard gear are as follows:
    - Ultra Rare Na'khul Armor Mk XIV
    - Ultra Rare Na'khul Shield Mk XIV
    - Ultra Rare Plasma Wide Beam Rifle Mk XIV
    - 40 Large Hypos
    - Kelvin Timeline Tribble; except for Klingons since tribbles do not like them.

I also have not bothered to allocate specialization points into the specialization trees for all of my characters which basically means any level 50+ character should not have much of a problem on Kobali Prime when using a good strategy.
    Awesome gear selection :sunglasses: Out of curiousity, what benefits do you find, with having a science boff, over a tactical? My science boff, as named in the menu shot above, is a Very Rare quality (Trill) On the last few ground missions I've done with a full away team, and with her having the exact same gear as the others, she has always gotten knocked out, when the others are still engaging the enemy (to the point where I simply slotted another tactical boff instead and leave her 'in command' of the ship :D )

But the real question, is how much of that gear did you have the first time you put boots to ground on Kobali Prime? ;)

A character and boffs, all equipped with Na'kuhl shields and Fleet polyalloy weave armor, for example, can run around pretty much untouchable. But someone playing the mission for the first time, isn't likely to have those nice bits of kit ;)

This was written as a Beginner's Guide, for someone's very first time at the mission ;)

*extratextbecausespellingerrorsangertheforummonster

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    I've been using the Temporal Defense Initiative Dual Anti-proton Pistols on quite a few Characters. If I am a Science Character Cold Fusion Flash, if not, a Science Boff will have it. Tactical Characters will have a Cryo Grenade. Reptilians don't like cold.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    I've been using the Temporal Defense Initiative Dual Anti-proton Pistols on quite a few Characters. If I am a Science Character Cold Fusion Flash, if not, a Science Boff will have it. Tactical Characters will have a Cryo Grenade. Reptilians don't like cold.
    That's an interesting take on the situation, I like it :sunglasses: The above-mentioned Little Miss Sleepsalot happens to have the Cold Fusion Flash training. Maybe I'll let her have a crack at the map :sunglasses:

• Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Awesome gear selection :sunglasses: Out of curiousity, what benefits do you find, with having a science boff, over a tactical? My science boff, as named in the menu shot above, is a Very Rare quality (Trill) On the last few ground missions I've done with a full away team, and with her having the exact same gear as the others, she has always gotten knocked out, when the others are still engaging the enemy (to the point where I simply slotted another tactical boff instead and leave her 'in command' of the ship :D )

The benefits of a science Boff is healing everyone. While my characters do carry around large hypos, I generally do not really need to use them, but they are slotted just in case. To me, cold fusion flash is an extremely useful Boff ability because it roots enemies to the ground. That is pretty useful to combo with other abilities like Mass Gravimetric Detonation or Endothermic Induction Field where enemies will run away from. Also good if my science Boff activates Hyperonic Radiation. Lots of damage for everyone.
    But the real question, is how much of that gear did you have the first time you put boots to ground on Kobali Prime? ;)

Most of that gear did not exist the 1st time I did Kobali Prime since they come from missions or lockboxes that were released after the Delta Rising Expansion. However, now most of the gear can be obtained before setting foot on Kobali Prime as long as you skip missions or accept missions later in the story arc.

Players can get the R.I.N. Kit Frame, Armor and Shield from "Uneasy Allies" which is the 1st mission in the Iconian War story arc. However, players need to complete or skip the missions in the Delta Quadrant story arc to play that mission. On the other hand, level 60 characters can simply speak to their superior in the specific faction (like Admiral Quinn) to accept the 1st mission in the Future Proof story arc; "Sunrise". The Na'khul gear can be obtained from the mission "The Temporal Front" in that story arc.

The training manuals for Cold Fusion Flash, Sabotage, and Explosive Drone can be simply purchased from the Exchange.

The Plasma Wide Beam Rifle can be purchased on New Romulus or the Romulan Flotilla. Fed and KDF characters can buy it from the Romulan vendor at Dyson Sphere Command. They are also on the Exchange. Upgrade them to your heart's content. For my Boffs I think [CrtD]x2 [CrtH]x2 is a pretty good mix of mods. With a Nah'khul Armor and Shield that would give Boffs a total of 8.5% chance to land a critical hit. That's pretty decent for a Boff.

A character and boffs, all equipped with Na'kuhl shields and Fleet polyalloy weave armor, for example, can run around pretty much untouchable. But someone playing the mission for the first time, isn't likely to have those nice bits of kit ;)

This was written as a Beginner's Guide, for someone's very first time at the mission ;)

With a limitation of no skipping ahead to future missions to get ground gear, or with a strict "fresh" level 50 character rule, then only the weapon and training manuals would be available. The Neutronium-Laced Combat Armor from "The Core of the Matter" mission would be my recommended armor to equip everyone with. It's pretty decent until you can get the R.I.N. armor (only one per character though), or the Na'khul armor.
  • Options
    mwesten9999mwesten9999 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I'm surprised given that you mentioned Polaron weapons that you forgot the Jem'Hadar set from the Cardassian arc, and that will be available to a fresh lvl 50 toon getting into Kobali Prime. Give that to your captain and it gives him a heal to run with as well with the 3 piece set power.

And I have to echo the bringing in a Science boff as a medic/crowd controller over an Eng, that and a Tac boff with Cryo Grenade or Micro Cryonic Warhead will let you buzzsaw most groups on Kobali. Also you can tie your BOff powers to your clicky tray and order them to use them on your target. I know I've been using that now to set my captains up with Nanite Health Monitors going into heavy combat as a little insurance policy.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Never had a problem there. I just mash the fire button like everywhere else in game.

My Guide;
    Mash Fire button -> Win

I can tell what your problem is though, and this may sound harsh, but your gear kinda stinks tbh. I'm sorry to be blunt.

Have you considered one of the many REP ground sets ? Or even the Nahkul freebie mission set ? You'd be a lot better off suiting up in one of those.
    And if you did the AoY slog, Rep sets come out automatically at MkXIII Ultra rare. You may want to start there...

You could also be using a better kit then some random one you found during a pve.
    There's many kit varieties to be found on the exchange for relatively cheap. I'd recommend a Delta kit with Kperfx2 (minimum). The Kperfx2 varieties sell for super cheap on the exchange.

Why would you even use small shield charges ?
    The large shield charges aren't that expensive. :confused:

I mean, just looking at your gear and set up, I gotta wonder, are you trying to make your life more difficult for yourself ? Because you're succeeding at it.
    :tongue:
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    jaguarskx wrote: »

The benefits of a science Boff is healing everyone. While my characters do carry around large hypos, I generally do not really need to use them, but they are slotted just in case. To me, cold fusion flash is an extremely useful Boff ability because it roots enemies to the ground. That is pretty useful to combo with other abilities like Mass Gravimetric Detonation or Endothermic Induction Field where enemies will run away from. Also good if my science Boff activates Hyperonic Radiation. Lots of damage for everyone.
    I'll have to give that a try :sunglasses: My main science boff does have Cold Fusion Flash, but recently, her performance, has become noticeably lacking, compared to the other boffs on an away team :confused:

Most of that gear did not exist the 1st time I did Kobali Prime since they come from missions or lockboxes that were released after the Delta Rising Expansion. However, now most of the gear can be obtained before setting foot on Kobali Prime as long as you skip missions or accept missions later in the story arc.

Players can get the R.I.N. Kit Frame, Armor and Shield from "Uneasy Allies" which is the 1st mission in the Iconian War story arc. However, players need to complete or skip the missions in the Delta Quadrant story arc to play that mission. On the other hand, level 60 characters can simply speak to their superior in the specific faction (like Admiral Quinn) to accept the 1st mission in the Future Proof story arc; "Sunrise". The Na'khul gear can be obtained from the mission "The Temporal Front" in that story arc.

The training manuals for Cold Fusion Flash, Sabotage, and Explosive Drone can be simply purchased from the Exchange.

The Plasma Wide Beam Rifle can be purchased on New Romulus or the Romulan Flotilla. Fed and KDF characters can buy it from the Romulan vendor at Dyson Sphere Command. They are also on the Exchange. Upgrade them to your heart's content. For my Boffs I think [CrtD]x2 [CrtH]x2 is a pretty good mix of mods. With a Nah'khul Armor and Shield that would give Boffs a total of 8.5% chance to land a critical hit. That's pretty decent for a Boff.
    That is indeed, good stuff, and very useful to know :sunglasses: I wonder how many folk do skip ahead when playing through for the first time. I just played through each mission in the order they were presented on the journal. maybe I'm just square :D

With a limitation of no skipping ahead to future missions to get ground gear, or with a strict "fresh" level 50 character rule, then only the weapon and training manuals would be available. The Neutronium-Laced Combat Armor from "The Core of the Matter" mission would be my recommended armor to equip everyone with. It's pretty decent until you can get the R.I.N. armor (only one per character though), or the Na'khul armor.
    Another excellent suggestion, thank you :sunglasses:

• Options
    I'm surprised given that you mentioned Polaron weapons that you forgot the Jem'Hadar set from the Cardassian arc, and that will be available to a fresh lvl 50 toon getting into Kobali Prime. Give that to your captain and it gives him a heal to run with as well with the 3 piece set power.

And I have to echo the bringing in a Science boff as a medic/crowd controller over an Eng, that and a Tac boff with Cryo Grenade or Micro Cryonic Warhead will let you buzzsaw most groups on Kobali. Also you can tie your BOff powers to your clicky tray and order them to use them on your target. I know I've been using that now to set my captains up with Nanite Health Monitors going into heavy combat as a little insurance policy.
    You said it yourself, I forgot about it :D I simply don't use it, so didn't think to try the Jem'hadar rifle :D

• Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Players often overlook the free Polyalloy Weave Armor with Regeneration which can be found in Mine Enemy and slightly better in The New Link. It is regrindable for all your BOffs. Since I first discovered this all my captains regrind those missions to complete their BOff equipment.

Another gem is the Psionic Shield found in Skirmish. It proves effective well into end game and has Shield Regen. This is a must-have for dealing with the Undine as well.

A final piece from a very early mission in the Romulan Mystery arc is the Overcharged Plasma Rifle. You first earn it at Mk 6 or so, but it will out-perform Mk XII weapons at that level, and replaying the mission for Mk XII version rewards you with the best damage inflicting weapon in the game. For free. My sniper version one-shots everything but bosses.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    The Plasma Repeator Pistol from 'Uneasy Allies' is also a great weapon, it being VR already. Get your RIN Combat set and pick that up on another run. It is one of the four VR special Plasma Weapons that used to be available at the Dilitium Store. 'Stolen' from us when they introduced Crafting 2.0 (well actually a week later as they neglected the Dilitium Weapon Vendor in New Romulus Command at first).

You can get those special Plasma Weapons at the Dyson Joint Command, Delta Quadrant Command, New Romulus Conmand, and Romulan Flotilla Weapons Vendors. They will be Common (White) Rarity. Good luck even with a Mk II getting it up to VR, let alone UR or Epic before it is up in the stratospheric XP point levels at Mk XIII+.

They are:
    Plasma Piercing Beam Rifle
    Plasma Repeator Pistol
    Plasma Charged Burst Assault
    Plasma Long Range Assault Minigun

All other Weapons that were in the Dilitium Store can be crafted. These can't.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Never had a problem there. I just mash the fire button like everywhere else in game.

My Guide;
    Mash Fire button -> Win

I can tell what your problem is though, and this may sound harsh, but your gear kinda stinks tbh. I'm sorry to be blunt.

You're not being blunt; you're making assumptions, and being rude.

What 'stinks' about VR Mk XII pa weave armor with [PolAp] [RegSH] [Tet]? +116.3 physical and kinetic resistance, +43.6 Energy resistance, +8.7 Tetryon resistance, +5.8 Polaron resistance, +5.8 Antiproton resistance, and 8.4 shield regen every 4 seconds? So what 'stinks' about that? Oh, it's not UR MkXIV :confounded: Yeah, you got me there... ;)

The shield's Mk XII [Cap] [Rev] 308.7 capacity, with 'Chance to damage the attacker when you take damage. The stronger the attack, the more powerful the retaliation'. Sure, it's on my list of things to upgrade, but it's hardly inadequate :D

By comparison, to get something with a higher capacity, one has to go up to Ultra Rare. On the exchange, only the VR Mk XII shields with the [Cap] modifier, are the exact same capacity as the one I've currently got loaded: 308.7. All the other VR Mk XIIs are 280.6.

There is a rather nice UR MkXIV [Cap] [Dis] [PBDmg] [Pha] with 402.8 capacity, with 20% reduction in disrupter and phaser damage, and 'chance to deal 15 damage to all nearby foes when you take damage', 18,800,000.

I don't know how deep your space-pockets are, or how much latinum you've got stashed under your bed, but for a new player 19M is not easily affordable, unless they're seriously into Exchange PvP or throw cash-through-keys at their balance ;)
    Have you considered one of the many REP ground sets ? Or even the Nahkul freebie mission set ? You'd be a lot better off suiting up in one of those.
    And if you did the AoY slog, Rep sets come out automatically at MkXIII Ultra rare. You may want to start there...
    Kek hasn't hit the Na'kuhl arc yet, so doesn't have access to that gear. I did mention above, that someone with Fleet armor and Na'kuhl shield is pretty much untouchable, so I'm not unaware that there is better gear available later in the game, but I think people seem to be missing the point, which is mentioned in the very title, that this was written as a Beginner's Guide, for players hitting the zone for the very first time. Not returning players, with all the cool Endgame gear in their inventories, or existing players levelling a new alt character, who has 'sponsorship' from another character :tongue:

It's not possible to do AoY Ferengi. Suggesting that people use gear that their character has no access to, isn't really very helpful ;) The aim of this guide, was to give any beginner an idea of how to deal with the Vaadwaur and their tactics, without expensive gear :sunglasses:
    You could also be using a better kit then some random one you found during a pve.
    Dude, don't be making assumptions. You don't know what that kit is or where I got it. For the record, it's [Regen] [Will] [WpnDmg]. +28.1 weapon proficiency, +28.1 willpower, and +28.1 health regen, and it was purchased off the exchange. So the point which we're not seeing eye to eye on: Is there better available? Sure. But not at 'easy money' prices, nor stuff that a beginning player, may know to look for ;)
    There's many kit varieties to be found on the exchange for relatively cheap. I'd recommend a Delta kit with Kperfx2 (minimum). The Kperfx2 varieties sell for super cheap on the exchange.
    I just looked on the exchange, and the first Delta kit with Kperfx2 is 10M, so not what I would call 'super cheap', for a new player ;)
    Why would you even use small shield charges ?
    The large shield charges aren't that expensive. :confused:
    If truth be told, I couldn't be bothered to come off the Kobali Prime map, to get to the Voth ground map to buy them, because my pc likes to crash at almost every map change. And, knowing how much gougers like to overcharge for stuff like ensign and lieutenant manuals on the exchange, I didn't feel like using the Azura call code just to see how much they want for large charges ;) I loaded up with what the inventory replicator dishes out for the sake of getting a fee screenshots. Is that okay with you? ;):tongue::sunglasses:
    I mean, just looking at your gear and set up, I gotta wonder, are you trying to make your life more difficult for yourself ? Because you're succeeding at it.
    :tongue:
    +5.8 Polaron resistance is pretty handy against a race who exclusively uses polaron hand-cannons, is it not :tongue:
    +28.1 weapon proficiency, +28.1 willpower, and +28.1 health regen, and 'Chance to damage the attacker when you take damage. The stronger the attack, the more powerful the retaliation', are not exactly irrelevant to the task at hand ;)

• Options
    brian334 wrote: »
    Players often overlook the free Polyalloy Weave Armor with Regeneration which can be found in Mine Enemy and slightly better in The New Link. It is regrindable for all your BOffs. Since I first discovered this all my captains regrind those missions to complete their BOff equipment.

Another gem is the Psionic Shield found in Skirmish. It proves effective well into end game and has Shield Regen. This is a must-have for dealing with the Undine as well.

A final piece from a very early mission in the Romulan Mystery arc is the Overcharged Plasma Rifle. You first earn it at Mk 6 or so, but it will out-perform Mk XII weapons at that level, and replaying the mission for Mk XII version rewards you with the best damage inflicting weapon in the game. For free. My sniper version one-shots everything but bosses.
    Fantastic contributions, thank you :sunglasses:

• Options
    The Plasma Repeator Pistol from 'Uneasy Allies' is also a great weapon, it being VR already. Get your RIN Combat set and pick that up on another run. It is one of the four VR special Plasma Weapons that used to be available at the Dilitium Store. 'Stolen' from us when they introduced Crafting 2.0 (well actually a week later as they neglected the Dilitium Weapon Vendor in New Romulus Command at first).

You can get those special Plasma Weapons at the Dyson Joint Command, Delta Quadrant Command, New Romulus Conmand, and Romulan Flotilla Weapons Vendors. They will be Common (White) Rarity. Good luck even with a Mk II getting it up to VR, let alone UR or Epic before it is up in the stratospheric XP point levels at Mk XIII+.

They are:
    Plasma Piercing Beam Rifle
    Plasma Repeator Pistol
    Plasma Charged Burst Assault
    Plasma Long Range Assault Minigun

All other Weapons that were in the Dilitium Store can be crafted. These can't.
    I hadn't thought to try the Plasma Repeater Pistol against the Vaadwaur, but from what I remember when an alt's Romulan Embassy Boff had one, it was pretty effective. I tried the Plasma Piercing Beam Rifle on this map just before initially posting, as I do find it to be a very nice weapon (great against the Tholians) but I felt that the dual Polaron pistols (especially when used by all the characters) had a slightly faster rate of fire, and seemed to be doing more damage to the Vaadwaur, than the PPB rifle. But absolutely, those weapons are all available prior to hitting Kobali Prime, thank you for the contribution :sunglasses:

• Options
    You don't have to go to the Voth Zone to get Large Shield Charges. Just go to the Ground Supply Vendor on Kobali Prime. He's on the deck just below the General Q'Nel/Captain Kim deck right in front of a pile of crates.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    You don't have to go to the Voth Zone to get Large Shield Charges. Just go to the Ground Supply Vendor on Kobali Prime. He's on the deck just below the General Q'Nel/Captain Kim deck right in front of a pile of crates.
    I did not know that, thank you :sunglasses: