What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

afk penalty is really starting to not make sense anymore

13»

Comments

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well, when I stay logged into a Character in ESD, for example, and go upstairs for dinner after 50 minutes a red warning gets thrown into General Chat that I have not been active and in ten more minutes I will be logged off. You know, it told me that because I WAS AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD. They knew. They knew because my Character did NOTHING.

Now this particular penalty seems to be a non-participation or more correctly a not participating enough to our liking penalty. To me, if you close with the target (range decreases) and hit them with any amount of damage of ANY type, you have participated. If you throw buffs on members of your Team, you participated. If you DID NOTHING, did not close with the enemy, or whatever you get a penalty. Otherwise, they should not try to get fancy.

I have NEVER gotten this so-called 'AFK' penalty.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    snipey47asnipey47a Member Posts: 485 Media Corps
    AFK penalty is given when you do less than 1% of the team damage. So on a map with 8 to 10,000,000 available Hull HP to destroy that means you are doing less than 100,000 total damage. So either you are doing a difficulty you are not ready for yet or were just AFK.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I wonder where this "1% damage" meme has come from, because it certainly wasn't Cryptic.
  • Options
    gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure you can only get the AFK penalty by actually being AFK or doing basically zero to help the team. Not seeing a problem here and it's all working as intended.
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    nabreeki wrote: »
    If you cannot bother to contribute more than 1% of the match damage with your eyes closed, you can take the two hour penalty and earn how to play the game.
    So you are saying I am not allowed to play or build a support ship that is all about healing and boosting the damage of the rest of the party instead of doing direct damage. So even though I am contributing more than 1% damage none of its counted.

The AFK penalty stopped me playing my support build which boosted everyone else's DPS and tank.
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    Beware, the latest patch borked all queues to spawn "normal difficulty" NPCs in Advanced and Elite. There is potential for a lot of AFK bans to be thrown there due to the speed NPCs are getting killed because of the abnormally low HP.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    I got a leaver penalty after my game crashed, wow, talk about unfair.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I'll wait to do anything meaningful until Thursday's (or tomorrow's) emergency patch.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    nx2000nx2000 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    The thing I can't understand is how can you destroy several ships, help in the destruction of other enemy ships, complete some of the extra requirements of an event (eg. the mines in the Gorn Mine event and the Starbase 24 event) and still get AFK'd for your help. I could see getting a penalty if I just sat there and did nothing but I was seriously helping out and still got penalized.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    mtMWouv.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.