test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tested and working Linux setups since 2017 March 2nd patch (removal of DX9)

Starting a new thread with confirmed working Linux/Wine/d3d11 setups not to taint other threads.

The past couple of patches has created a situation where the game seemingly just hangs after switching from the progress bar to the next loading screen. CPU usage drops to zero and nothing seems to happen. This "may" simply be the same old shader compilation waiting time that has always plagued us and I haven't been patient enough to wait longer than normal. A workaround for me is to start the game without the launcher, as described further down in this thread. After a much shorter delay, the game has started by doing this and has then worked normally when started through the launcher.

This is my main rig. STO works right out of the box. UPDATED 2017-06-01
Videocard GeForce GTX 660Ti
Kernel 3.17.8
Mesa 17.0.6 (older working versions: 12.0.1, 13.0.5)
nvidia-drivers 381.22 (older working versions: 378.13)
wine-staging 2.9 with CSMT patchset enabled (older working versions: 2.3)

This is my test laptop with Intel HD Graphics.
Videocard Intel HD Graphics 4000
Kernel 4.9.6 (Probably overkill.)
Mesa 17.0.0 (Probably overkill. Version 12 or 13 may work too.)
wine-staging 2.2 with CSMT patchset enabled
Started with MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1COMPAT first on the executable command.

MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1COMPAT will instruct Mesa to report a higher version of OpenGL to Wine than it actually supports. Mesa 13-17 has partial support for OpenGL 4.x but are missing some functionality. By default it reports version 3.3 because of this. As long as STO, or whatever program you run, doesn't make use of any of the missing functionality, it seem to work just fine to have Mesa report a higher version.
---
"-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
Post edited by trekpuppy on

Comments

• Options
    samargathasamargatha Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Videocard Intel HD Graphics 530
    Mesa 12.0.6
    Wine-staging 2.2 with CSMT patched enabled too.

I just changed MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1COMPAT to MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.3COMPAT and now I got until the 2nd loading screen :) I think it's busy compiling the shaders now...
    Will it work?? I'm so close....

And, efectively, the gameprefs file now says:

PrefEntry SystemSpecs.isDx11Enabled 1
    PrefEntry SystemSpecs.isDx9Enabled 0
    PrefEntry SystemSpecs.isDx9ExEnabled 0

and

PrefEntry SystemSpecs.createdDXVersion 11
  • Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    You might benefit from upgrading Mesa to version 13 which is the latest stable branch.

For the laptop I had to disable postprocessing because everything was deeply dark red. If you're running on a laptop you may very well have a hybrid video card - i.e. and integrated Intel HD combined with either Nvidia or AMD Radeon. You would probably be better off to permanently switch to that videocard instead if possible. Support for the necessary features are obviously more complete for Nvidia at least.
    ---
  • Options
    samargathasamargatha Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    You might benefit from upgrading Mesa to version 13 which is the latest stable branch.

For the laptop I had to disable postprocessing because everything was deeply dark red. If you're running on a laptop you may very well have a hybrid video card - i.e. and integrated Intel HD combined with either Nvidia or AMD Radeon. You would probably be better off to permanently switch to that videocard instead if possible. Support for the necessary features are obviously more complete for Nvidia at least.

It's not a laptop. Anyway I have a spare Nvidia 210 from my old comp. It's not much, I know...
    I got into the character selection screen :) As you said, deep dark red. Then while loading ESD I got an error message and had to close. I'm almost there, but it's late, so I'll try just once more for today.

I'll check Mesa 13 If I can. Ty again for your help!

Update: Changed back to MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1COMPAT (which seems to force dx10.1 detect, at least looking at the Gameprefs file) and it works :) Once i logged into the game, changed graphic settings to avoid the darkness and except some minor glitches the game is totally playable and not really too slow.
    It's certainly not as smooth as in windows or as in DX9 (and it's noticeable that the cpu and/or gpu are working more than before) but it's more than OK, specially for doffing and stuff.

At least now I can choice if use win7 for serious playing (Breach, events...) and linux for a quick doffing.
    Post edited by samargatha on
  • Options
    Wine-staging 2.3 seems to solve the "post processing" issue. I can now run with that option enabled without having everything go dark red.
    ---
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    Wine-staging 2.3 seems to solve the "post processing" issue. I can now run with that option enabled without having everything go dark red.

How did you get 2.3 staging? I'm looking at wine staging on Git. It's not clear if I should just patch the source then rebuild Wine. Or download 2.3 staging and setup it to run through staging separately.
  • Options
    Personally I build it from source but there are instructions on https://www.wine-staging.com/ (click INSTALL in the menu) to add repositories with the latest packages for various distributions. You probably already have a wine-staging package available in your current distribution but it usually takes a while for the very latest versions to show up there. The instructions above adds additional repositories with theses experimental versions of wine.
    For users of PlayOnLinux and PlayOnMac I'm under the impression you have a drop down menu where you select the wine/wine-staging version you want. This implies the software will take care of downloading and installing the correct package for you. I assume you only need to keep PlayOnLinux/PlayOnMac updated so you have the latest wine-staging version available as a choice in the menu.
    ---
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    Personally I build it from source but there are instructions on https://www.wine-staging.com/ (click INSTALL in the menu) to add repositories with the latest packages for various distributions. You probably already have a wine-staging package available in your current distribution but it usually takes a while for the very latest versions to show up there. The instructions above adds additional repositories with theses experimental versions of wine.
    For users of PlayOnLinux and PlayOnMac I'm under the impression you have a drop down menu where you select the wine/wine-staging version you want. This implies the software will take care of downloading and installing the correct package for you. I assume you only need to keep PlayOnLinux/PlayOnMac updated so you have the latest wine-staging version available as a choice in the menu.

I am building it from the wine-staging source. I had to add two packages from the regular build. It compiled and install.

It runs! The major issue I seen is a huge decrease in FPS when Lighting 2.0 is enabled easily disabled. Additionally, on some transition loading screens it stops.

The latter might be bad or unoptimized code on STO side and/or Wine issue. Which would need some debugging.

• Options
    foxdrag0nfoxdrag0n Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Just heard that it can run under Wine 2, and patched up my existing install to try it out. Running wine-devel 2.4.0 right now and it launches, but when it should be compiling the shaders it reports "Tessalation not supported, skipping domain shader creation" and I end up at the character selection screen with a bunch of textures missing, including the options window ones so I can't even change any settings. I also tried renaming the prefs file to come in fresh - same result.

Any suggestions on where to look here? Or is it an issue with 2.4?
  • Options
    louiscyfer666louiscyfer666 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    foxdrag0n wrote: »
    Just heard that it can run under Wine 2, and patched up my existing install to try it out. Running wine-devel 2.4.0 right now and it launches, but when it should be compiling the shaders it reports "Tessalation not supported, skipping domain shader creation" and I end up at the character selection screen with a bunch of textures missing, including the options window ones so I can't even change any settings. I also tried renaming the prefs file to come in fresh - same result.

Any suggestions on where to look here? Or is it an issue with 2.4?
    I assume it's connected with d3dcompiler_47.dll which is not yet complete (the offroad-bugfix of copy/pasting the d3dcompiler_42.dll then renaming it to d3dcompiler_47.dll doesnt work anymore because Cryptic possibly entirely implented that certain file).
    This workaround is no longer needed since, as you noticed, the patcher now adds this file automatically. I maintain a thread with working STO setups under Linux here: http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1229036/tested-and-working-linux-setups-since-march-2nd-patch#latest
    Maybe the few examples there can give you some help.
    since I'm not using POL I'm forced to use wine-staging 2.4 which doesn't work with STO. I'm able to get into the character-selections with the wine-devel branch (also 2.4) but game crashes entirely when trying to enter

I did create this bug report a while ago --> https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42696

OT: want me to repost in your thread?

same here!
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting.
    It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Spock -
  • Options
    wine-devel is not the same thing as wine-staging afaik. I've tried wine-staging 2.3 which still works but I've yet to try 2.4. This thread also lacks any confirmed working configurations involving AMD graphics. It doesn't mean that there are none but I'm just mentioning it since you didn't say what graphics card you use. Look carefully in your repository for a wine-staging package and use it instead of wine-devel. Optionally also enable CSMT patchset on the Staging tab in winecfg for some extra performance.
    ---
  • Options
    wine-devel is not the same thing as wine-staging afaik. I've tried wine-staging 2.3 which still works but I've yet to try 2.4. This thread also lacks any confirmed working configurations involving AMD graphics. It doesn't mean that there are none but I'm just mentioning it since you didn't say what graphics card you use. Look carefully in your repository for a wine-staging package and use it instead of wine-devel. Optionally also enable CSMT patchset on the Staging tab in winecfg for some extra performance.

my system: GeForce GTX 750Ti, Nvidia Driver ver. 375.39 (propietary), 4.4.0-71-generic kernel (nothing fancy tho :P).

CSMT is disabled in my confic because it caused more trouble in other games (might just not be connected to not working STO shader compiling/wine interpretations .. or even mis-interpretations in several wine releases/brances).

of course I can think of *some* working config settings .. but having the baseline branches is just not working yet for wine and this certain kernel but I hope for updates asap :)
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting.

- Spock -
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Running basically the same setup as the above post, except Geforce GTX 980 is my video card, and both with and without any extra options selected on the staging tab, under wine-staging 2.4 it crashes on the loading screen with a fatal error "(E_INVALIDARG) while Creating pixel shader." I also tried backing up and wiping out the game prefs files - it then sat on the loading screen for a bit before crashing out the same way.

If I switch back to wine-devel 2.4, it works the way I described before, and crashes the moment I try to actually go past character select.

If it matters, I have Windows 7 selected as the OS to pretend to be. Setting it to 10, 8.1, or 8 just results in an immediate crash on both versions, before it even gets to Loading. I'm also using the same 32-bit wine-prefix and install I'd been using for DX9 for years.

*edit* Tried copying the launcher and hogg files to a fresh wine prefix set to Windows 10 and 64-bit and re-downloaded the rest. This time it got to the same place as the previous ones and crashed out with the INVALIDARG error again. Looking in the logs, these seem to be relevant info:
    TriggerAlert(\r\n{\r\n\tKey Get_Dcm_Keys_Failed\r\n\tString \qCOuldn\st find key DCMKeyValues while trying to read DCM keys from registry
    Pixel shader (Shaders_Processed/Wine/D3d/Effects/Ssao_Prepass_E423d903_32302b4e.Phl) creation FAILED - E_INVALIDARG

Switched back to wine-devel and tried the clean prefix version again, and it acted the same as the other times under devel, where it comes up but is missing textures etc. I did not get the error about shaders not compiling on the loading screen however, and it did not linger long on that screen like it traditionally has when recompiling them

*edit 2* Tried updating Mesa to Mesa 17 via PPA - still getting invalid arg crashes on the both prefixs under staging, and under devel, same results as before on both prefixes.
    Post edited by foxdrag0n on
  • Options
    This might be unrelated but verify that you actually have hardware 3D support enabled and not falling back on software rendering.
    $ glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"
    direct rendering: Yes

glxinfo can usually be found in package mesa-progs or similar if not already installed.
    ---
  • Options
    Yep, that is turned on, for me at least.
  • Options
    I get those Dcm errors too every time and I've also seen them reported by Windows users. They don't seem to prevent us from running the game. Neither should shader compilation errors prevent you from starting the game although they will result in missing textures (red x-es). The error log in STO isn't very useful imho. I've had a lot more help from the STDOUT/STDERR messages generated by the game but these are hidden from you unless you circumvent the launcher. To see them you need to start GameClient.exe directly from a terminal.

1) Open a command prompt/terminal emulator.
    2) Switch to the folder containing GameClient.exe.
    cd "/path/to/the/folder/ending-with-Live"
    Example: cd "/home/kirk/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live"

3) Now enter the command to execute the game but you also need to tell Wine the part of the path containing the folder drive_c. You enter this part in the WINEPREFIX parameter.
    WINEDEBUG="-all" WINEPREFIX="/path/to/folder/containing-drive_c" wine GameClient.exe -server 208.95.186.11
    Example: WINEDEBUG="-all" WINEPREFIX="/home/kirk/.wine" wine GameClient.exe -server 208.95.186.11

Watch the output in the terminal window for useful errors or messages.
    ---
  • Options
    Not any more helpful than the actual log:
    Done loading Character_Creation_01 (0.14)
    Starting shader pre-loading...
    Queuing shader loads...done. (0.31)
    Preloading shaders...2017-04-02 22:13:28 PROGRAM ASSERT OCCURRED! Direct3D driver returned error code (E_INVALIDARG) while Creating pixel shader.

This is from the W10 prefix, so there's no winetricks or anything else to interfere. Are you still running on the 375.26 driver or are you on the 375.39 driver now?
  • Options
    I'm still on 375.26 and I also have Windows 7 selected. The only other difference I notice is that you run a win64 prefix. I have never tried that since STO is 32-bit so my STO-prefix is always win32. Can you try creating a new prefix with WINEARCH="win32" and then move your STO folder there?

This is how I always set up a new prefix:
    $ WINEDEBUG="-all" WINEARCH="win32" WINEPREFIX="~/newprefix" winecfg

I configure it as Windows 7 and activate the CSMT patchset on the Staging tab.
    ---
  • Options
    My original prefix is Win32, and has the same error, as mentioned above, and it is set to Win7. Sounds like the only real difference then is possibly driver version - might be something changed in 375.39 that broke things again.
  • Options
    These are the D3DCompiler dlls in my Live folder. Can you compare them with yours? Sizes and dates.
    $ ls -la D3DCompiler*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 1000 1000 1974616  5 sep  2009 D3DCompiler_42.dll
    -rw-r--r-- 1 1000 1000 3231688 26 jul  2012 D3DCompiler_46.dll
    -rw-r--r-- 1 1000 1000 3466856 22 jun  2016 D3DCompiler_47.dll

You're not adding dll overrides in winecfg, are you?
    ---
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Nope, though that was why I made a fresh prefix, just to make doubly sure. Also, those dlls are pushed down by the launcher now. I tried removing d3dcompiler_47.dll, and it redownloaded it when I re-ran the launcher.
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 1.9M Sep 4 2009 D3DCompiler_42.dll
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 3.1M Jul 25 2012 D3DCompiler_46.dll
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 3.4M Jun 21 2016 d3dcompiler_47.dll
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 230K Aug 1 2011 d3dx11_42.dll
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 3.7M Aug 1 2011 D3DX9_37.dll
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 1.9M Sep 4 2009 d3dx9_42.dll
  • Options
    Also, those dlls are pushed down by the launcher now.
    Yes, that is my experience too. Just wanted to make sure because I'm now out of ideas what to test next.

---
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Also, those dlls are pushed down by the launcher now.
    Yes, that is my experience too. Just wanted to make sure because I'm now out of ideas what to test next.

I assume it's simple this time, wine just can't handle DirectX 11 well (yet) .. sadly

EDIT:
    here's what I experience with current wine-versions from wineHQ
    same results running via launcher or "$winePath GameClient.exe -server 208.95.186.11"

*wine-stable (2.0.1) results in char screen, then crash on attempt to login (90-96% loading --> crash)
    *wine-staging (2.6.0) results in
    --> "err:winediag:SQLDrivers No ODBC drivers could be found. Check the settings for your libodbc provider."
    --> with CSMT "2017-04-27 23:51:13 PROGRAM ASSERT OCCURRED! Direct3D driver returned error code (E_INVALIDARG) while Creating pixel shader."

*wine-devel (2.6.0) same as wine-staging (2.6.0)

so we might just need to wait?
    *waves*
    Post edited by louiscyfer666 on

- Spock -
  • Options
    teiktosteiktos Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Did any of you guys had luck running STO recently? With the newest wine version 2.8 i now get the first loading screen like with version 2.3 staging, but i am still stuck at the second one.
    I had no luck starting the gameclient directly like trekpuppy (is the game still running for you?)

I'm working on getting this game running again every few days since the Escalation launch and i'm getting more and more frustrated...
  • Options
    The game is still running for me but I'm still on wine-staging 2.3 and I haven't tried any of the later versions. The first post in this thread reflects my current setup. Can you paste the last 10-20 lines of console output when you try to start the gameclient.exe directly? Maybe we can spot what's going wrong.
    ---
  • Options
    teiktosteiktos Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    The game is still running for me but I'm still on wine-staging 2.3 and I haven't tried any of the later versions. The first post in this thread reflects my current setup. Can you paste the last 10-20 lines of console output when you try to start the gameclient.exe directly? Maybe we can spot what's going wrong.

Thanks for the offer, i will come back to you after trying out 2.8 staging and some other options :-)
    It's interesting your game is running, but only when starting the gameclient via console.

I am still using nvidia 375.39 drivers, i had problems installing 378.13 (i'm using linux mint and x-server). I'm running into that
    "2017-04-27 23:51:13 PROGRAM ASSERT OCCURRED! Direct3D driver returned error code (E_INVALIDARG) while Creating pixel shader."
    too, like louiscyfer666
  • Options
    gulxgilamarthgulxgilamarth Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Just wanted to chime in, finally got STO running once again via wine, but for me I had to add a line in the registry to force it to use a higher graphics thingy or something. Very technical explanation I know, but if anyone is still stuck I can dig out what I actually did if it might help :)

-Gil
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    To anybody posting in this thread - it would be nice to know what video hardware you're using, so we can try to see if there's a pattern hidden somewhere. Personally I have no data from AMD cards and I'm curious if anyone is running STO/Wine on them successfully. I further suspect there may be different success rates between different generations of video cards from the same manufacturer and I only have a single, older Nvidia card in the data set right now. I could start collecting working combinations in a Google sheet if enough people report both working and non-working combinations.

* Wine version. Also report if it's staging or non-staging.
    * Video card manufacturer and model.
    * Kernel version.
    * Video driver name and version.
    * Mesa version.
    * Additional command line options, registry settings or other trickery.
    ---
  • Options
    nixnutz7nixnutz7 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I'm a Mac user (late 2012 IMac - NVIDIA GeForce GT650 M 512mg) and am up and running.
    You guys might want to check the PlayOnMac forums (Application Tests>Star Trek Online)
    Someone came up with a registry hack that is allowing Mac users back in the game.
    It may prove helpful.
  • Options
    Came back to try again with the success I was hearing people have. Running the same nVidia drivers as listed above, and wine 2.11-staging in PlayOnLinux. I can get to the Escalation "Loading" screen, and then it hangs there with "Material Files Reloaded" showing. I managed to get past that point once, but it still hung shortly after that. Running the GameClient directly per the earlier post, I found the problem:
    Starting shader pre-loading...
    Queuing shader loads...2017-07-01 16:31:01 PROGRAM CRASH OCCURRED!

Looks like something is causing the shader loading thread to crash, which then causes the rest of the client to hang. I do have the MaxVersionGL DWORD set also, though I don't know if it makes a difference.