test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How big is STO going to go?

what I mean is are we going to see bigger playable ships? ships as big as the Borg cube or Voth Citadel ship? nothing insanely massive but I mean the largest ships we see often in battle zones and the like. what I would go after if they do add those types of ships as playable starships. I would go for the Iaidon class capital ship of the Iconians.
Been a user of Perfect World Entertainment since 2009.

Comments

• Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    Voth City Ship.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Death_star1.png

They see me warp in, they hate'n. All because I'm green and Empirey!
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    jslyn wrote: »
    Voth City Ship.

:o

One can only hope.
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I wanna fly a Dyson Sphere.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Voth City Ship.

That would be too crazy. I wouldn't mind having a playable Citadel Science Dread though :)
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »

You can already fly a whole Galaxy.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    I'm still waiting for a playable Doomsday Machine...
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    Fesarius, and NOT the little tug it dispatched
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    Voth City Ship.

That would be too crazy. I wouldn't mind having a playable Citadel Science Dread though :)

The Voth City ship and Citadel dreadnought are one and the same. The huge (I mean HUGE) ship from the Dyson sphere is a FORTRESS, a wholly new ship made by Cryptic for STO because the original city ship wasn't big enough.

Personally, the Tholian Tarantula and Scimitars are more or less scratching whats possible and still practical IMO. Other than creating serious traffic nightmares in system/sector space, huge ships would be difficult to fly.

Low turn rates (we are talking below 5 degrees base here realistically) and giant shield facings will make piloting a real problem. Borg ships would be confusing to fly more than anything, because they look near identical no matter how you look at them.

Anyone having played Star Trek Legacy or a modded Borg Cube in Bridge Commander can attest to that. You can't see your targets most of the time, because a.) you fill half the screen with your own ship and b.) your targets are tiny mashes of pixels if they are even in view.

Even if Cryptic decides to open the Pandora's box that is playable Borg cubes, the forum will just fill up with complaints about how they are frustrating to fly, you will see.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    So some of the people that have them have "complained" that flying the Vonph is difficult cause you can't really see things etc. And people want bigger than that? That's crazy lol.
  • Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    The current largest ships do have a problem that you can't zoom out sufficiently, and so the ship takes up too much of the screen. Even ships like the Vo'Quv take up quite a lot of screen real estate.

Before they go any larger, I'd like to see an option to zoom out a little further on the big ships.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    coolbatman wrote: »
    nimbull wrote: »
    Death_star1.png

just remember to protect that 2m wide thermal exhaust port

I stuffed it full of Tribbles. Anyone that shoots in there will be in for a big surprise at what pops out.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    :o

One can only hope.

Enjoy it while you can. Soon they will remove half of your ship because they heard people say that they did not enjoy you having a ship that long.

I stuffed it full of Tribbles. Anyone that shoots in there will be in for a big surprise at what pops out.

That is an exhaust port. If you stuff it up then it is going to overheat. That is not going to provide an improvement to your day.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Death_star1.png

The Mythbusters have tested stuffing things into tailpipes, the object just pops out as soon as you start the engine.

I can't imagine a Death Star having less exhaust pressure than an old car.
  • Options
    spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    Death_star1.png

Tribble al la plasma?

• Options
    apheex#3641 apheex Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    The current largest ships do have a problem that you can't zoom out sufficiently, and so the ship takes up too much of the screen. Even ships like the Vo'Quv take up quite a lot of screen real estate.

Before they go any larger, I'd like to see an option to zoom out a little further on the big ships.

There is indeed an option to change a little bit the visual (fov) by doing a specific command in the chat. Flying big ships wouldn't be so dramatic.

screenshot_2021-09-03-14-28-24.jpg
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    At some point they need to do something about weapon ranges. The 10km are fine with "traditional" ship sizes but at some point it feels like ships need to crush into each other before being in firing range of each other.
  • Options
    At some point they need to do something about weapon ranges. The 10km are fine with "traditional" ship sizes but at some point it feels like ships need to crush into each other before being in firing range of each other.
    None of the ships are scaled properly, so no they don't.
  • Options
    sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    The easiest way to address the arbitrary weapon range is to have a 10% accuracy dropoff for every KM beyond 10, so you could fire at say 19KM but only 10% of your shots would hit.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    The big ships now have camera position issues. Can we fix that before we start strapping engines on to moons or small planets? Parking is bad enough at ESD now...

maxresdefault.jpg
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »

That would involve moving an entire star.

Kind of thing jarjar abrams would probably love, all that potential for lens flare would get him drooling.
  • Options
    xayssxayss Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    i wish to fly someday this;

9a405655cc46d49b11d3b89113381974.jpg
    nexus.jpg

• Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    xayss wrote: »
    i wish to fly someday this;

9a405655cc46d49b11d3b89113381974.jpg

Hell yeah! With cloaking shuttle pets and shield ignoring drones! (Then again that probably isn't a good idea with how much of a complete mess the fighter system is and will never be fixed)
  • Options
    xayss wrote: »
    You do know if it's shields fail in space, everyone onboard dies, right?

Worst. Spaceship. Ever! B)
  • Options

That would involve moving an entire star.

Pish. Stars are in space. They don't weigh anything.
  • Options
    xayssxayss Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    who need need a space TRIBBLE or a death star just put engine to a entire planet :D
    t96osp.jpg
    nexus.jpg

• Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User

Get a Dual Heavy Cannon Voth Bulwark Dread and duel a Dual Heavy Cannon D'Deridex (two DHC D'Ds might work too). Sooner than later you might see that this feels more like Naked Gun in Space than Star Trek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr2GeWiDrdY
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    People say this all the time, but in general, it's not true. Deep Space Nine, Planets and Shuttles are pretty much the only things not really to scale.

Some other ships have no canonical established size (e.g. their actual size as depicted is different in different scenes). But in general, the canon ships are at the sizes they should be and fit in relation to each other.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    People say this all the time, but in general, it's not true. Deep Space Nine, Planets and Shuttles are pretty much the only things not really to scale.

Some other ships have no canonical established size (e.g. their actual size as depicted is different in different scenes). But in general, the canon ships are at the sizes they should be and fit in relation to each other.

The Defiant and KonsTitution aren't. Both are larger relative to other ships than they are in the vast (overwhelming) majority of screentime. The same goes from similar small ships like the Miranda or B'rel, where they are bigger compared to say a Galaxy than they should be.

The bigger ships (sort of Akira sized and bigger) seem to be in scale relative to each other, more or less (obviously excluding the Dreadnought Vengeance which is about twice the size it should be).​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!