test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to maximize your drain skill like a 14 year old minmaxer

lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
edited May 2018 in The Academy
As a follow up to yesterday's control skill post. Here are the instructions on how to get your drain skill to the moon. It's fun in PvE since you pretty much suck shields away in Advanced difficulty, but do not use in Elite. You can try it in PvP, but most players have so many restart, immunity, and debuff removal junk on their ships that you'll need two alpha strike ships at your side and a healer to make this useful in PvP.

1) Full skill tree for drain = 100
2) 5 Exotic Particle Focuser [DrainX]x2 = 62.5 x 5 = 312.5
3) Conductive RCS Accelerator [Drain] = 37.5
4) Rule 62 console (lobi) = 28.1
5) Quantum Phase Converter = 37.5
6) Zero Point Energy Conduit = 24.6
7) Nukara particle converter = 21.7
8) Bajoran Deflector = 80
9) Re-engineered epic 2nd deflector = 30
10) R&D crafted engines [Damp] = 33
11) Temporal shield = 30
12) Delta Alliance Warp Core = +20
13) Saboteur set 2-piece (lobi weapon and torpedo) = 20
14) Nukara Appropriated Munitions set 2-piece (console + mines or beams) = 17.8
15) Superior Astrophysicist = 15
16) 23c Science boffs from K-13 = 10 each for a max of 30
17) Lukari Restoration Initiative Armaments 2 piece bonus (Beam array and torpedo launcher) = 20

Total = 847.7 to 867.7 depending on number of K-13 science boffs

Note if you have the Fleet T6 Nebula: On the T6 Nebula you can switch out #6 for the Nebula 2 piece (11 consoles vs 10). Max in that case is 893.6.

Extras:
1) Inspirational Leader = +10 to +30
2) Fleet science boost = +10
3) Doff assignment crits = +25 per crit
4) QSM = +100

Note on the pic, I only have 2 23c boff, still working on Epic Bajoran Deflector, and have the Apex set instead of the Saboteur.
mUyJgFg.jpg

Post edited by lucho80 on

Comments

• Options
    lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    Dyson 2-piece is superior to the terran if you can fit it. Also the new Nausicaan console.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    lsegn wrote: »
    Dyson 2-piece is superior to the terran if you can fit it. Also the new Nausicaan console.

For drain skill maximizing:
    Dyson set drain is inferior to Terran deflector + 1 piece and inferior to the [damp] engines
    Nausican console is inferior to R&D cosnoles
  • Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    Hey Lucho..Epic drain master..At what point does it become too much drain in missions or stfs?

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Hey Lucho..Epic drain master..At what point does it become too much drain in missions or stfs?

Over 700 works fine, hell over 600 works. I have a build that goes over 700 drain and pulls about 40K DPS in ISA with my crappy piloting skills. Using TS3 with the quantum phase torpedo on mobs is fun.
  • Options
    stee1maxstee1max Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    Nice, but does it DPS over 500k?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    stee1max wrote: »

1) Not the point
    2) I don't give a rat's TRIBBLE$ about DPS and never have
    3) This is a fun science post, you want to pew pew, go elsewhere
  • Options
    @lucho80 i was trying to be helpful, i don't see what my post count has to do with it i've been using these forums for seven years, I just try not to post comments unless i have something worthwhile to say.

I know you in-game im a member of the science channel. :/
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    @lucho80 i was trying to be helpful, i don't see what my post count has to do with it i've been using these forums for seven years, I just try not to post comments unless i have something worthwhile to say.

I know you in-game im a member of the science channel. :/

Sorry, edited that up there. Still, that gear is inferior. Sorry to be snappy. You should see my comments when Borticus tries to nerf science abilities. That was mild up there.

• Options
    Thank you
  • Options
    Oh wow...The Polaron Proc (My estimates) is what..125 @ 800..Dear gawd that all system crippling when it procs on your ship..

I wonder if it'll still work that high in PVP...Tho..If your using all the subsystem drains..getting away much less hurting you must make you seem invincible.

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Oh wow...The Polaron Proc (My estimates) is what..125 @ 800..Dear gawd that all system crippling when it procs on your ship..

I wonder if it'll still work that high in PVP...Tho..If your using all the subsystem drains..getting away much less hurting you must make you seem invincible.

PvP is a mess. You hit someone with every drain in the book, and they still magically keep alive and hull up even if hit hard from the rest of the team. I tend to hit them with target Aux 3 when they're zombies. Take away their science heals and make them use clicky consoles and abilities. Couple of subnukes also helps with pesky zombies. Had fun with Bauklotz the other day.

• Options
    edited January 2017

Comon man...There more than one way to play..40k at 700 Drain is more than enough to deal with in-game baddies...
    I was told this about drain "If they aint got no power,they cant do nothin." I mean they are basically a lifeless husk waiting for youy to tunr them into ash..
    lucho80 wrote: »

PvP is a mess. You hit someone with every drain in the book, and they still magically keep alive and hull up even if hit hard from the rest of the team. I tend to hit them with target Aux 3 when they're zombies. Take away their science heals and make them use clicky consoles and abilities. Couple of subnukes also helps with pesky zombies. Had fun with Bauklotz the other day.

Dear gawd..That must been fun..Good PVPer but He talks so much trash..

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    Do you like to use a +chance secondary when playing with target system powers?
  • Options
    stee1maxstee1max Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    I had a legit question for you to evaluate DPS in PvE, but instead got several illiterate responses with rage towards those who value their time and prefer damage builds, namely me.
  • Options
    Do you like to use a +chance secondary when playing with target system powers?

Nope, no I don't. Disables are in a bad spot in this game since they added hot restart to rep pieces. Makes them completely useless in PvP and in PvE the Borg are immune to disables. Thankfully, the drain part isn't a disable so it still works great.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I had a legit question for you to evaluate DPS in PvE, but instead got several illiterate responses with rage towards those who value their time and prefer damage builds, namely me.

Why ask about 500K DPS when I specifically stated that I did 40K DPS with a high drain build? Could a good pilot squeeze more? Yes, but nothing over-the-top. There aren't any tac consoles involved in the build and no crit maxing either. So no, you're not getting high DPS with most science heavy builds except for part gens ones.
  • Options
    I just thought he was making a joke...
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Exotic Particle Focuser [DrainX]x2
    This is good confirmation that this krenim lab sci console isn't a typo. I've seen duplicates or omissions at fleet holdings before, and thought it was bugged still as there's no equivalent for EPG which in fairness should exist.

Sad to hear about the hot restart making control builds worthless. I've toyed with those a bit only to be completely disappointed every time because of the endless focus on AoE-everything making team fire break fragile disables. I didn't even bother going 2/2 in the spec tree for this ability, but I kind of regret it now as 2/3 in shield hardness doesn't seem useful considering all the shield penetrating damage going on to the point I even see my sci dread instantly down to 50% hull with full shields out of nowhere, but the graviton is worth 2/2 and 1/3 shield hardness doesn't seem bad as a tradeoff for non-minmaxers.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    edited January 2017

I didnt rage towards damage builds (I run em)..Just informed you there are other ways to play that are effective for PVE..You were also given the measuring stick for this type of build (40k).

If you seriously want 500k dps..Start doing the 3/2 ISA runs and talk to the current top 500k dpser for other helpful hints.Last I checked you, were already in the to 5% or less Top dpsers in the game

@Lucho...Ima copy this build on my Research Science Vessel for LOLs..

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    bovinemasterbovinemaster Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I don't mean to brag, but...

Full drainx: 100
    3x K13 Science Survivor: 10 x5 = 30
    Superior Astrophysicist: 15

5x Exotic Particle Focuser [DrainX]x2: 62.5 x5 = 312.5
    Conductive RCS Accelerator [Drain]: 37.5
    Rule 62: 28.1
    Quantum Phase Converter: 37.5
    Sutherland console: 25
    Nebula 2pc: 35.5

Terran Deflector: 60
    Solanae secondary Deflector: 30
    R&D Impulse Engine: 33
    Delta Warpcore: 20
    Temporal Shield: 30

Total: 794.1

Soon to be added: Lukari 2pc for another 20 drainx, resulting in a total of 814.1
    H3anJUs.jpg
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    With all that monster drain, why no Plasmonic Leech?
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    This is good confirmation that this krenim lab sci console isn't a typo. I've seen duplicates or omissions at fleet holdings before, and thought it was bugged still as there's no equivalent for EPG which in fairness should exist.

Sad to hear about the hot restart making control builds worthless. I've toyed with those a bit only to be completely disappointed every time because of the endless focus on AoE-everything making team fire break fragile disables. I didn't even bother going 2/2 in the spec tree for this ability, but I kind of regret it now as 2/3 in shield hardness doesn't seem useful considering all the shield penetrating damage going on to the point I even see my sci dread instantly down to 50% hull with full shields out of nowhere, but the graviton is worth 2/2 and 1/3 shield hardness doesn't seem bad as a tradeoff for non-minmaxers.

I hear that, Alcyon. The lack of an [EPG]x2 is very sad, given that [DrainX]x2 and [CtrlX]x2 are both available. As one who worships at the altar of the Demon Goddess EPG, I feel the lack most acutely. It's almost like blasphemy!

500-550 EPG is doable, with expenditure of enough EC/Dil/Zen/Marks, but 700 ain't happening.
  • Options
    bovinemasterbovinemaster Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    With all that monster drain, why no Plasmonic Leech?
    If you look closely, there is a leach in there ;)

I hear that, Alcyon. The lack of an [EPG]x2 is very sad, given that [DrainX]x2 and [CtrlX]x2 are both available. As one who worships at the altar of the Demon Goddess EPG, I feel the lack most acutely. It's almost like blasphemy!

500-550 EPG is doable, with expenditure of enough EC/Dil/Zen/Marks, but 700 ain't happening.
    I don't think they have [CrtlX]x2 at the fleet research base, but the [DrainX]x2 is in there twice iirc.
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »
    As a follow up to yesterday's control skill post. Here are the instructions on how to get your drain skill to the moon. It's fun in PvE since you pretty much suck shields away in Advanced difficulty, but do not use in Elite. You can try it in PvP, but most players have so many restart, immunity, and debuff removal junk on their ships that you'll need two alpha strike ships at your side and a healer to make this useful in PvP.

<snip>

Would like to know what your entire build consists of as well as what boff skills etc you use. Been trying to put together a couple polaron builds with drain but I have no clue whatsoever what I should be doing with it lol
  • Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    Excellent thread, OP. I'm going to have to apply some changes to my drain build. Thank you!
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer

The reason that the Research Lab sells [DrainX]x2 consoles is due to the skill revamp. Previously, there were [Flow] [Ins] consoles available, that boosted Flow Capacitors and Power Insulators. The skill revamp changed every source of Flow Capacitors and Power Insulators to be Drain Expertise; those consoles were no exception. Because there was only one stat, Particle Generators, that was changed (renamed, essentially) to Exotic Particle Generators, there was not a chance for an [EPG]x2 console; and no consoles were available with two modifiers that got converted to [CtrlX], so there are no [CtrlX]x2.

If the Research Lab console store was being built today, it is safe to state that there would be no [DrainX]x2 consoles, nor [CtrlX]x2 nor [EPG]x2. However, that is the conversion that we decided upon in the skill revamp, those are the consoles that players bought, and so the [DrainX]x2 consoles that exist will remain and continue to be available in the store.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I do prefer drain builds to control builds. Will see what I can do with some of that advice. Not sure how much of it I can get, especially the Krenim lab stuff. The fleet I'm in is very small and not growing very fast. Not that I'm complaining, I'm not.

Never really tried min-maxing before, but in a sci build, maybe it's time.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    If the Research Lab console store was being built today, it is safe to state that there would be no [DrainX]x2 consoles, nor [CtrlX]x2 nor [EPG]x2. However, that is the conversion that we decided upon in the skill revamp, those are the consoles that players bought, and so the [DrainX]x2 consoles that exist will remain and continue to be available in the store.

@crypticspartan#0627 Booo.... >:)

Make SCIENCE great again I say!

More engines with sci skills!
    More shields with sci skills!
    More warp cores with sci skills!
    We want more!

Joking apart, I don't know why you devs are so worried about sci skills most of which cause no damage, were nerfed to hell long ago AND during the "normalization" that created these consoles, and only 16% of players use when you've let DPS run wild with 100K-500K DPS builds in the game which do have an effect on gameplay.

I'd be willing to bet only about 0.5% or less of players even attempt these crazy build which are pretty much junk in the DPS department.

Want to make the game more interesting? Mix things up more with science. I do like the latest science starship traits by the way, specially the tachy beam drain one. The siphon one is meh and I might stop using it in favor of better things.

• Options
    The [drainx]x2 only happened because of the skill revamp. To my surprise they left it in. I predicted it would happen when they launched the first blogs but i didn't think they would let us keep the console. Not that i'm complaining...
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Well, it looks like I can adopt a lot of this without too much trouble on one of my sci captains. I may give it a go when I'm feeling better.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D