test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I call "Shenanigans" on the global event progress meter.

welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
I do. I am now of the opinion it is B.S.

I know that you can't jump to a conclusion from a single event, but the meter SKYROCKETED yesterday in the early hours and also, the last time that doff mission completions were used as an input. This time? It "magically" has been crawling from 95% to 98%.

I am now of the opinion that it can and is being slowed down as they see fit, either as an artificial chicane to certain goals, or as to maintain interest. Thoughts?

EDIT: Let me go one step further - I don't believe round 1 was even meant to succeed. Aside from reports of certain fleet inputs not registering (myself being one of them) I am thinking that Cryptic knows what rewards they are going to allow and handle it accordingly. Shenanigans, indeed! I do declare shenanigans!
T93uSC8.jpg
Post edited by welcome2earf on

Comments

• Options
    messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    Uh what are you taking about ? :/
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    messahla wrote: »

The global even that uses doff mission completion as input towards it. Have you not been playing?

It got to 84% in like, hours yesterday, but now has hit a hard slowdown at around the 90% mark, give or take.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    the meter for the first week went rather slowly... until the last 48 hours or so. The reason for this is unclear, but there are many conspiracy theories.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    Oh ok i got ya and yeah it seems pretty messed up
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    the meter for the first week went rather slowly... until the last 48 hours or so. The reason for this is unclear, but there are many conspiracy theories.

The best theory being "people decided to spend some dil and EC before the deadline instead of just putting in their spare white doffs." CONSPIRACY!!!!!
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Bear in mind that nobody could log in on October 13 when all PWE went down for maintenance the whole day. Don't think they will plan to give extra time due to the outage.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1205105/galactic-restoration​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options

I don't think its much of a conspiracy here: I'm pretty confident it's been slowed down - the performance delta is to conspicuous to be normal noise.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    thedarkphenoixthedarkphenoix Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    I doubt that Shenanigans need to be called. I'm certain that a lot of people saved up handing in their mission completions for doffing until the progress meter went active, hence the massive initial jump. Same happened with the Fleet progress meter. Unlike that one however, there isn't the massive resource cost to starting missions so we've zoomed through it much faster. The only slowing factor is people getting off their lazy butts and actually logging in to hand in the missions, meaning that you'll generally see the meter jump up on occasion as prime time for each time zone comes round.
    Original wave Lifetimer and Closed Beta tester.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    Doff assignments don't suck up valuable resources.
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    I'm not touchin this one with a ten foot hyperspanner ....
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    tinyfistedtinyfisted Member Posts: 193 Arc User

It's because it was in tier II prior to the day-long maintenance, then was at 0% tier 1 when the server came up again. The accumulated gain just got restored at some point. It's no biggie.

As for a fast gain in the doff missions, duh, most of the big doff missions are on a 8/20 or whatever hour timer. Of course it's going to lag and spurt. The gain will smooth out over the week as people spread out.
    86B6EC45459D17DB8AE6CD5F51C13A90CDC00A85
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    It's a Trap!
    I fixed that for you.​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    tinyfisted wrote: »

It's because it was in tier II prior to the day-long maintenance, then was at 0% tier 1 when the server came up again. The accumulated gain just got restored at some point. It's no biggie.

As for a fast gain in the doff missions, duh, most of the big doff missions are on a 8/20 or whatever hour timer. Of course it's going to lag and spurt. The gain will smooth out over the week as people spread out.

There's a metric a$$ton of missions that are 1/2/4 hour that pay well....I cant say its strictly becasue of the 8/20 schedule. If so it wouldnt have climed so swimmingly yesterday.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    thedarkphenoixthedarkphenoix Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    tinyfisted wrote: »

There's a metric a$$ton of missions that are 1/2/4 hour that pay well....I cant say its strictly becasue of the 8/20 schedule. If so it wouldnt have climed so swimmingly yesterday.

But most players will log in for only a short time per day. You have the hardcore players who will be handing in missions as soon as they complete. But the vast majority of players will fill their Doff mission roster with random (or not so random) missions, then log off, and log back on the next day, hand them in, then rinse and repeat.
    Original wave Lifetimer and Closed Beta tester.
  • Options
    wintermutevreswintermutevres Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    nvm =)
    Post edited by wintermutevres on
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    i did notice yesterday around this time it was at the 70% plus mark and has crawled along all day today. The progress made yesterday i thought we'd be into tier 2 by now it def has taken longer to do 83% to 99% then it took to do 0%-70% plus. Or it feels like it has
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Right, many people will queue a set of missions on one day then not collect the CXP until the next day. So the CXP gain takes up to 24 hours even for the 30 minute missions.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Not this again...

I don't have any numbers, or any way of assessing what anyone is doing in the population, but I'm going to second-guess computers because in order to keep my membership in the tin-foil-hat society I've got to post at least one conspiracy a day on the internet!

You can guess the reliability of an indicator once you have something more reliable, not less.

EDIT: Let me go one step further - I don't believe round 1 was even meant to succeed. Aside from reports of certain fleet inputs not registering (myself being one of them) I am thinking that Cryptic knows what rewards they are goign to allow and handle it accordingly. Shenanigans, indeed!

Simple filter you can also apply: why bother? What's it to them that we get slightly fewer reputation marks this week than might have been had with a "true" measure of FC earned? If they were really that bothered with the outcome of an event they would have just rescaled rewards, rather than inventing elaborate algorithms (plural) to simulate the chaotic nature of player behavior through a secondary indicator. This is a pretty lousy cheat indeed if its even MORE sophisticated than the honest solution (see. descriptive stats versus modeling, try figuring out the y=mx+b equation to weekly progress yourself) and has even less benefits from cryptic's own POV.

You know, it could just be that your impression of how these status bar should be progressing isn't accurate. I'd personally go with that, even if it meant handing in my card to the tin-foil society. :P
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    Not this again...

I don't have any numbers, or any way of assessing what anyone is doing in the population, but I'm going to second-guess computers because in order to keep my membership in the tin-foil-hat society I've got to post at least one conspiracy a day on the internet!

You can guess the reliability of an indicator once you have something more reliable, not less.

You know, I figured that there's be white knights here, but as I stated in my opening post that clearly one cant jump to a conclusion from a single post, but your point brings up just that - because there NO transparency, all we have to use is behavior: Yesterday, it went along just swimmingly till about 70-80%...then now its magically crawling along, even after 20 hours later when many of those missions will pop.

As much as there are many tin-foil hat conspiracies, is it so beyond ken that there could be some chicanery going on here?
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    It's true that those events lack some form of "transparency". However, I am fairly certain Cryptic will not manipulate the system to save those 25 bonus marks...​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I did notice that during the first week there was a dramatic and sudden jump which felt a bit iffy to me. Did it make tier 2 completion with that jump? It certain didn't seem possible.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2015

You know, I figured that there's be white knights here, but as I stated in my opening post that clearly one cant jump to a conclusion from a single post, but your point brings up just that - because there NO transparency, all we have to use is behavior: Yesterday, it went along just swimmingly till about 70-80%...then now its magically crawling along, even after 20 hours later when many of those missions will pop.

This is about the honor of logical reasoning, not cryptic. You've done some terrible things to it and I won't see that go unchallenged. :P
    As much as there are many tin-foil hat conspiracies, is it so beyond ken that there could be some chicanery going on here?

Compared to the possibility that there isn't chicanery? Yes, it is unreasonable to suppose a conspiracy. If you see a picture of someone wearing a blue shirt you're going to assume they're really wearing a blue shirt. Even without the physical article in front of you (ie. your "transparency") its still a less parsimonious explanation to invoke photoshop particularly without definite cause or without a plausible motive. Its an arbitrary alternative with less weighting than the first explanation.

Basically, you've walked into the room shouting "IT'S RED PEOPLE, THE SHIRT IS RED!" for no other reason than it suits your fancy. It might be a gratifying post to make (and at that I'm not making any kind of character judgement here, its a natural human reaction), but its not a supportable one.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    Dear OP:

The fleet credit week failed lat time as well. The devs put a huge curve on it, and failed to adjust it this time around. It got stuck around the same place as last time. Thankfully, this time they tied it to rep marks instead of XP like last time when we got 100% XP (Tier II) bonus instead of 150%.

You can find quick ending doff assignments all over the place. Medical ops has a bunch of 30 min ones. Colonial nebulas have 15-30 minutes ones. Voth BZ has a bunch of 45 minute ones. If picking quick ones is the key to moving that needle, then there are plenty to choose from.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Another reason why the OP's theory falls to Occam's razor is (and it is mentioned already but I'd like to emphasize it some more):

When designing the points needed for the levels, Cryptic have the (allergy inducing word approaching) metrics. They will know how many fleet contributions there will be in an average week. They will know how many doff assignments there will be turned in in a normal week. They will know how these numbers can change in an "event week" - if anybody really pushes them, if they stay the same, that stuff. So if they want a certain result (and they are certainly thinking about what they want. My guess is: reach level 3 but barely, so it feels like a success, a "we, the community, did it against the odds", but I don't know), it will be easy to set it up more or less from the beginning. Yes, there will be some leeway one way or the other, and probably fleet contributions are less volatile than other stuff you can do in game, but there really is no need for somebody to move sliders manually to get a certain effect.

Yes, I could imagine, that a severely overscaled requirement (e.g. you won't even reach half of tier I) might get a rescheduling, but I just doubt that this is necessary anymore. Yes, it is not transparent how they arrive at their numbers, but I thik you can easily accept that they know enough about their numbers, even if they are not publishing them.

The other important question has also been asked already: what good would it do to push the slider if it is not working? The amount of extra XP/dil/CXP/gummy bears the community will get from a certain reward boost can be calculated in advance, and it's not gonna kill neither the players nor cryptic if there is a change of maybe a fifth for a week (taking the example above: with the 100% XP increase we were at 200% instead of 250%, so only a fifth fewer XP to be earned)
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Oh, and count me in on the "doff only once a day" crew. Sure, if the heads are blinking, I'll quick click some stuff, but I'm not really going to search for the worthwhile missions twice a day because of extremely decreasing returns to scale. And since people do not live spread out evenly across the planet, much less so players of STO, none of these sliders is ever going to move smoothly and steadily.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Not this again...

Holey Moley. You mean YOU'RE SERIOUS about this? A j/k thread I love but this is inane.​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options

This is about the honor of logical reasoning, not cryptic. You've done some terrible things to it and I won't see that go unchallenged. :P

Basically, you've walked into the room shouting "IT'S RED PEOPLE, THE SHIRT IS RED!"

Lol what? Yeah, I came in here for no reason. And our supposition that there's nothing aid could daily be said to be the same as mine.

Yeah, Internet Warriors! ST:O will still not sleep with you.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    It's true that those events lack some form of "transparency". However, I am fairly certain Cryptic will not manipulate the system to save those 25 bonus marks...​​

Multiply that times whoever many people play the game and it adds up. Remember: This is the SAME company that does seemingly gratuitous nerds and rollbacks to Dil and XP for dubious reasons.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yeah, there is no reason to futz around with Mark Rewards as they have removed all of the 'big' turn-ins from consideration for the Bonus - Daily Bonus, Rep Projects, Tier 5 Rep Mark Rewards, Monkey/Bird (not really applicable now but true nonetheless), etc.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns