test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can we PLEASE scale down the weapons now?

rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
With DR coming out, can we PLEASE devote a tiniest modicum of attention to SCALING DOWN the weapons models? They have been 200% normal size since forever. Everything from swords/batleths to rifles, even including pistols. Whether they're on the player's back or in their hands, or worn on the hips, it's freaking ugly and distracting and just makes me think everything is a toy.

This has been oft-reported for ages now. With all the flurry of attention with DR, can we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE finally actually DO something about this issue? It affects 99% of all weapons in the game.
Post edited by rodentmaster on

Comments

• Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    We need to keep pushing this issue -- the ridiculousness of the weapons becomes more and more apparent as more old content is revamped. Give a character in the Odyssey uniform the mk I phaser rifle and tell me it doesn't already look absolutely ridiculous. Now switch to a mk XII with the all the holocrap.

Even the fleet phaser rifles, which are one of the few reasonably scaled weapons, clip through my shorter (5'7, not even min height) character's face when aiming. Something really should be done about this, some sort of scaling with the character height.
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This is even worse with Lobi stuff, like the Relativity weapons.
    The rifle has a grip so big you can't even hold it.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Weapons should really just scale with character height.

I'd think this would be a simple matter, but that probably shows how much I know about making video games.
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »
    Weapons should really just scale with character height.

I'd think this would be a simple matter, but that probably shows how much I know about making video games.
    Something, anything to make this happen. Seeing the oversized bat'leth slung across my KDF toon's back is cringe-worthy, to put it mildly. (Kudos to the OP for this thread.)
  • Options
    trekkietravistrekkietravis Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    With DR coming out, can we PLEASE devote a tiniest modicum of attention to SCALING DOWN the weapons models? They have been 200% normal size since forever. Everything from swords/batleths to rifles, even including pistols. Whether they're on the player's back or in their hands, or worn on the hips, it's freaking ugly and distracting and just makes me think everything is a toy.

This has been oft-reported for ages now. With all the flurry of attention with DR, can we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE finally actually DO something about this issue? It affects 99% of all weapons in the game.

Agreed.

There is a reason everyone in game is over 6ft tall. =P
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Agreed.

There is a reason everyone in game is over 6ft tall. =P

looks fine on me, but i'm 6'4.

for the girl that i see running around at 1 feet tall (how does she do that???) yeah, lol... um, scale issue much?
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yes, please, very much.

But I'd suspect the devs stating that either weapons need to be oversized so the 12 remainingground PvP players can identify the weapons from the other side of the map or they don't have the technology to do any of what we are asking for.

The oversized weapon models and all the clipping errors that go with them are borderline embarassing to the art department. And I'm very sorry I have to use such hard words, I don't enjoy that, but I can't think of a different term.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I agree with this whole idea.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • Options
    janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I support this issue. MACO rifle is too big.

In-game handle @Janetza
  • Options
    rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I never noticed that, but my character is super tall, so...
    76561198032353876.png
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, considering my Gorn boff's make any melee weapon look small, as in a bat'leth he can hold in one hand, swords look like knives.

And weapons small, like the omega carbine rifle looks like a pistol to them, while oversized rifles are just right for them, I can totally agree with these poster's statements.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Also, can we please have the TR-116 look like this:

TR-116.jpg
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My character is as tall as the Tailor allows him to be, but my TR-116 still completely dwarfs me. When it is on my back, it is almost as tall as I am. And when I use it, the rifle's stock (or butt, or whatever else you choose to call it) completely clips through my body. If it was any longer, the rifle's stock would be coming out of my back.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Just to illustrate how bad this is....

Massively oversized rifle...
    6CnSL1l.jpg

Massively oversized dual pistols...
    23k7rq8.jpg

And there are many more. Those are just what I pulled from this forum. Every screenshot I have of my own toons has super sized weapons.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Just to illustrate how bad this is....

Massively oversized rifle...
    6CnSL1l.jpg

23k7rq8.jpg

And there are many more. Those are just what I pulled from this forum. Every screenshot I have of my own toons has super sized weapons.

That's a big rifle on your Romulan
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      edited September 2014
      Not mine. Just random example pulled from "epic screenshots" recent post.
    • Options
      adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
      edited September 2014
      It is somewhat ridiculous and some kind of scaling needs to be worked out with weapons, my phaser rifle is almost as long as I am tall...
      ZiOfChe.png?1
    • Options
      edited September 2014
      It was irritating me to no end last night as I was trying to play. Especially with the Jem'hadar pulse rifle and the MACO sniper, but many others as well. They're just so freaking huge it's like they put NERF guns to shame. They're so big and bloated they look like kids playing with baloon toys in the shape of guns.
    • Options
      edited September 2014
      I was playing some ground combat last night, and was getting irritated by this nuisance again. Especially the MACO sniper, the JH auto-rifle, the JH pistol, a batleth, and some others.

There are a small number that seem to be appropriately scaled. My antiproton split beam seemed the proper size, though it looks like a plastic fish toy. The KHG MkXII pulsewav may be closer to proper sized than most, but IMO can be scaled down a tad as it's still huge when on your back with the blades sticking out so far.

This so very much needs to be fixed, as a whole!
    • Options
      captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
      edited September 2014
      one thing I would like to see is the weapon scale to the holder's size, I have a Bat'leth on my Gorn who is huge... his Bat'leth is being literally held only in one hand. Rifles on any of my female toons look GINORMOUS and clip into their faces.
      lHut1H2.jpg
      "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
    • Options
      shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      angrytarg wrote: »
      But I'd suspect the devs stating that either weapons need to be oversized so the 12 remainingground PvP players can identify the weapons from the other side of the map or they don't have the technology to do any of what we are asking for.

While you're probably being sarcastic, I'll have a go at anyways: both excuses are ridiculous. The former is an insult to players' intelligence (this is why I was not amused by 'standard models' in GW2); the latter falls flat quick when you realize that the technology does exist (just ask the Final Fantasy XIV devs).
      The oversized weapon models and all the clipping errors that go with them are borderline embarassing to the art department. And I'm very sorry I have to use such hard words, I don't enjoy that, but I can't think of a different term.
      Well, the second and oft-forgotten part of the quote 'my country, right or wrong' applies here: 'if right, to be kept right; if wrong, to be set right'.
      captw wrote: »
      one thing I would like to see is the weapon scale to the holder's size, I have a Bat'leth on my Gorn who is huge... his Bat'leth is being literally held only in one hand. Rifles on any of my female toons look GINORMOUS and clip into their faces.
      See above; I'm fairly sure FFXIV isn't the only game that's licked this nuisance... on which note I'll have to track down some screen grabs to present as evidence.
    • Options
      dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      azniadeet wrote: »
      Also, can we please have the TR-116 look like this:

-image-

Yes, this please. Make a properly scaled canon model for this thing already, it deserves it.
    • Options
      tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      Agreed, weapons are for the most part oversized. IF, and that's a big if, they look at this I hope they also look to getting rid of all the BS holographics on the weapons. I can deal with the oversizedness to a degree but the holo-weapons bug me to no end.

Had hi hopes that with the upgrade system, that you could upgrade a non-holo weapon but the weapons appearance changes with the upgrades.
    • Options
      ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      Its not just the physical weapons that are too large. I think the beams and pulses from energy weapons, and the size of torpedos, are all far too large co.pared to what we see in the show as well. This is especially true for shuttles and other small craft, where the torpedos they use are the same size as the ship and the beams are as wide. It just looks ridiculous.
    • Options
      nikkojtnikkojt Member Posts: 372 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      23k7rq8.jpg

This particular one is a well-known bug, specific to certain Fleet dual disruptor pistols - they're not really designed to be that big, even allowing for ~Cryptic scaling~. There's some debate among users of the weapon as to whether it should be fixed at all.

That said, I do support weapons being scaled down a bit, or tied to character size.
      I am NikkoJT, Foundry author and terrible player. Follow me!
      There used to be a picture here, but they changed signatures and I can't be bothered to replace it.
    • Options
      kalavierkalavier Member Posts: 132 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      On subject of weapon scaling, I recently saw a custom alien whose rifle was literally taller and larger then she was.
    • Options
      comic1996comic1996 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
      edited October 2014

Rodentmaster I agree as the my character would look much better in the game if he got the weapons at the right size.
    • Options
      captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      I truly agree, the weapons look cartoonish and I think part of why they made the weapons so large is to show off each unique piece, the weapons are artistic and if they are smaller scale then we won't see as much detail on the weapons. HAVING SAID THAT: I have been suggesting the focus should be more on the beams and pulses. What I mean to say is, the phaser and disruptor beams as well as pulses need a serious update.

The tos phaser beams have such a beautiful intense glow, where as modern orange starfleet phasers look cartoonish and fake, we need the phaser beams to have a more dramatic glow and try to make the impact graphic more true to the show. It would be cool if the final shot that kills the target is a big explosion of sparks as seen in the dominion wars of DS9.

Plasma beam weapons, xindi weapons, undine and voth weapons are all so unique and beautiful.
      Federation phaser beams should be more interesting and true to the show.
      Another great effect was in the next generation best of both worlds episode 1 & 2, when they modulate the phaser beams have a slight electric blue effect mixed in with their orange beams. Why don't we have this effect when using the Borg remodulator?

Little effects like these make a big difference in gameplay! Also let's see Bajoran phasers have a lighter yellow beam and proper sound effects, and all of the pulse weapons need more dramatic glows. The beams and bolts look too solid and cartoonish show us some flashy blooms and sparks!
    • Options
      angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      (...)
      Little effects like these make a big difference in gameplay! Also let's see Bajoran phasers have a lighter yellow beam and proper sound effects, and all of the pulse weapons need more dramatic glows. The beams and bolts look too solid and cartoonish show us some flashy blooms and sparks!

I agree. Sadly, those "little effects" are non of Cryptic's concerns as new lockboxes and c-store sales will always be top priority. Not the dev's fault, mind you. It's the F2P business model many players still think is something good.
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou