Options

Dear Cryptic

jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
release or create the tools to create content

Fans can create real ship interiors for your ships if you give them the tools

They will make them for you

you spend a small amount of time editing them

you give the fan credit on the bridge and some Zen reward

you now have a full realistic looking bridge that conforme to the layot of the ship and can be used in later content like a boarding acton/Repair action whatever

Do not underestimate your Fan base they will do the work for you... it will take hundreds of hours to do a realistic ship layout but only a few hours to edit a good one

Its a win for you and a win for the players of STO

you can do the same thing making planets to explore large planets like in SWG
instances for those planets

Create the tools for the fans to make them

The same thing for housing temples farms colony structures................Allow your star trek Fans the ability to create usable content for the game

Too not do so is a terrible waste and is costing you a fortune in virtually free content

I saw these Fans make hundreds of great looking starships for STA Star trek Armada

Take your John Smedley playbook and throw it in the trash can where it belongs...after all he destroyed SWG
Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
Post edited by jellico1 on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would endorse the idea.

I even had an idea where Cryptic lets the Foundry authors remake the Patrol Missions. They would need to keep the original mission in tact but could add subsequent parts to it so as to make it a full playing experience. So you are not just scanning 5 Tkon artifacts, you are also dealing with something else related to the original premise of the Patrol Mission - maybe another power is there also looking for those Tkon.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cryptic, Why not let ppl create new starships and have them put on the C-store. Each ship must have your approval and be cannon. Players who create ships that are approved for the c-store will get 5000 zen out of the 25000 zen the ship sells for. Cryptic and the players will both win. People will spend real world cash to buy these ships and players will only get the ingame currency. Its a Idea.
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I can get behind these ideas. Its a win for the company and players alike.

I am sure that players would be just happy to design abilities to add to the new Kits as well. They would be one-off powers that get sold in the C-Store for, like, 100 Zen or the Lobi Store for 50 L per module.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    unfortunately, for legal reasons im sure cryptic cant just stick fan made content into the game.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    yeah well, Star citizen is already going to do all of this. STO might want to catch up with the times.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I am amazed that you got as much support as you did OP... Last time I suggested something like this, I was flamed to h*ll and back.

Goes without saying that I kinda support the idea.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited May 2014
  • Options
    suricattasuricatta Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sadly it's all legal issues. I don't think anyone at Cryptic doubts the creativity of Trek fans, but with so many laws in every country regarding work, it only takes one fan to submit something and then sue Cryptic for using something they created without paying them to mess it all up!

Star citizen is doing a great job with thier starship design contest, but for them they don't have CBS to have to go though for approval of what they design, which makes it far easier for them!. I'm still happy we got the Enterprise-F contest and managed to get the Luna and Vesta ingame and it certainly would be nice if they ran another starship design contest!

That said, it would be nice if the foundry had more assets in it for creating starship interiors :-)
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This is never going to happen because Cryptic uses 3DSMax. The license of which costs several hundred.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    This is never going to happen because Cryptic uses 3DSMax. The license of which costs several hundred.

Unless you, like me got a cheap licence while studying, OR use the freeware variant that lots of us who modeled for BC used.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I support the ideas. If Cryptic doesn't consider something profitable enough (ex. ship interiors), why not give the players the opportunity to design their own interiors or add variety to the patrol missions and exploration clusters. That way the devs. would only need to check what's in line with lore and Star Trek, maybe polish it a little and release it.

It's good for them since they won't be focusing their efforts and work hours on something they consider doesn't make them enough cash, while it's good for the players as well since some of them will get the oportunity to show their creativity and skills and others to use the fruits of their fellow player's labour through more mission variety or different types of ship interiors for their favourite vessels.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    From what I've read about that game it's going to have forced PvP. If that is accurate then this game has nothing to fear because most players here are die-hard PvEers that want nothing to do with PvP.

If any PvPers decide to jump ship, I wish them the best and hope that game provides them with the game experience they'll never get here.

I would love to PvP in STO... It's the players PvP generally attracts I want to avoid.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Crowdsourcing would probably be easier for them if this wasn't the Trek IP. That has its own can of worms that wouldn't be present in an original IP.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    giving fans the abilty to make ships will not fly with CBS, I can tell you that right now.

Just because another game is doing it? Mind you not only does that run head long into the old "If they jumped off a bridge" argument, you don't know if that's even allowed. When they had the contest to design the next enterprise, the "fans" wanted the ship we know now as the Chimera Class. CBS and Cryptic prefered the Odyssey .

Guess who's vote matters more...
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Unless you, like me got a cheap licence while studying, OR use the freeware variant that lots of us who modeled for BC used.

The Freeware version is even worse though.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Crowdsourcing would probably be easier for them if this wasn't the Trek IP. That has its own can of worms that wouldn't be present in an original IP.

Maybe ships are out but no reason to block off powers, abilities, and areas. People would still happily do those.

When they had the contest to design the next enterprise, the "fans" wanted the ship we know now as the Chimera Class. CBS and Cryptic prefered the Odyssey .

Guess who's vote matters more...

I don't know who designed it, but I love the Chimera. Used it all of the way up until the Vesta came out. Heck, if it were an option I would use the Chimera's exterior with the Vesta's power set.
  • Options
    tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think all they have to do is look at SOE and their recently added Player Studio. It's a program set up for most of their games, where players are able to design items for that specific game. The player gives over rights to the design once approved, but with each purchase ingame of that item, they get a small "residual" payment. Right now the program is only for US players, but they are looking to expand to Europe very soon.

A modified version of this for STO and even Champions Online, would pay the creator of the item a small amount of Zen applied to their specific game account each time a player buys that item in the Zen store. Thus, it prevents an actual transfer of money, avoids tax issues at least in the US (for now) and will spur the creativity of the playerbase. PW gets revenue, players get access to new design content, and the artist gets zen to use for their own purchases.

Of course, the details would have to be hammered out. Do player designers lose rights to their designs upon submission, or only once approved? I think that would be a big question. Also, especially in regards to ship designs, who would approve those? Would they still have to be run past CBS and what kind of turnaround time would be realistic once submitted?
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    tiekosora wrote: »
    Of course, the details would have to be hammered out. Do player designers lose rights to their designs upon submission, or only once approved? I think that would be a big question. Also, especially in regards to ship designs, who would approve those? Would they still have to be run past CBS and what kind of turnaround time would be realistic once submitted?

My best guess for that is 1)Yes they lose rights and Cryptic has ownership after submission (like the Design the Enterprise contest); 2) Probably first Cryptic and then CBS to make sure it is within terms of their license contract; 3) Probably on the scale of months before you start the actually coding for the ship. There was a neat Dev Blog earlier that told how long it took to conceive an in-house original ship design. So... probably about 8 total months for a player-submitted ship. That is of course, everyone important says 'yes' to it and devs are tasked to work on it right away. With no interruptions.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    tiekosora wrote: »
    I think all they have to do is look at SOE and their recently added Player Studio. It's a program set up for most of their games, where players are able to design items for that specific game. The player gives over rights to the design once approved, but with each purchase ingame of that item, they get a small "residual" payment. Right now the program is only for US players, but they are looking to expand to Europe very soon.

A modified version of this for STO and even Champions Online, would pay the creator of the item a small amount of Zen applied to their specific game account each time a player buys that item in the Zen store. Thus, it prevents an actual transfer of money, avoids tax issues at least in the US (for now) and will spur the creativity of the playerbase. PW gets revenue, players get access to new design content, and the artist gets zen to use for their own purchases.

SOE owns the rights to the games they have the Player Studio for. For example, you don't see DCUO supported for that reason. Since they do not own the rights to DC Comics.

You could possibly argue Cryptic could make a UGC Market for Champions Online since they purchased the IP and license it back to Hero Games.

But for STO, it's not going to happen.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    SOE owns the rights to the games they have the Player Studio for. For example, you don't see DCUO supported for that reason. Since they do not own the rights to DC Comics.

You could possibly argue Cryptic could make a UGC Market for Champions Online since they purchased the IP and license it back to Hero Games.

But for STO, it's not going to happen.
    Stop raining on our parade! I want some new Patrol Missions! :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Stop raining on our parade! I want some new Patrol Missions! :)

So do I. Maybe whenever STO enters maintenance mode we can see a return of such things.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Foundry authors can't get slabs of blocks textured as floors and ceilings to use with walls, and you folks are asking for a map and ship-building toolset, along with approval oversight of props, ships, interiors... from a team where nobody is in charge of the toolset that Cryptic already made.

Seems a little unrealistic to me, but maybe I am jaded.

I'd love to redo some of those patrols. I'd love to turn 5-minute exploration missions into good and interesting first contact missions. Mostly though, I'd love see players be able to find my missions and maybe... in the best of all worlds, have something besides a slab of stone to use as a ceiling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't see ship designs by players ever happening unless it's a contest and CBS has its hands in it somehow.

However, I don't see why ship interiors would be a problem if Cryptic just gave us at least some of the canon items they already use and allow players to place things where they want.

And even if this doesn't get done...please revamp the hallways...everyone start using your bridges and interiors more so Cryptic has a reason to update them.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Foundry authors can't get slabs of blocks textured as floors and ceilings to use with walls, and you folks are asking for a map and ship-building toolset, along with approval oversight of props, ships, interiors... from a team where nobody is in charge of the toolset that Cryptic already made.

Seems a little unrealistic to me, but maybe I am jaded.

Unrealistic? It seems to me like one of these would solve the problem of the other. :P
  • Options
    rbearcatlightrbearcatlight Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    suricatta wrote: »
    Sadly it's all legal issues. I don't think anyone at Cryptic doubts the creativity of Trek fans, but with so many laws in every country regarding work, it only takes one fan to submit something and then sue Cryptic for using something they created without paying them to mess it all up!

Star citizen is doing a great job with thier starship design contest, but for them they don't have CBS to have to go though for approval of what they design, which makes it far easier for them!. I'm still happy we got the Enterprise-F contest and managed to get the Luna and Vesta ingame and it certainly would be nice if they ran another starship design contest!

That said, it would be nice if the foundry had more assets in it for creating starship interiors :-)
    I would assume that they'd put a licensing agreement on the tool; anything you make will be property of Cryptic.
  • Options
    mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    suricatta wrote: »

...Can't there just be a Terms and Conditions/Licensing Agreement page that describes what legally happens to your rights to things that you choose to submit to them, which prevents nonsense like that from happening?
    And even if this doesn't get done...please revamp the hallways...everyone start using your bridges and interiors more so Cryptic has a reason to update them.

We can't really use them if there's basically nothing to do in them, and Cryptic's people are unwilling to add more functionality and mechanics to them so that we will use them, so we're stuck with what we have now.
  • Options
    captyoung01captyoung01 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I agree with this idea (though I don't use the foundry). On a more personal note; I can use 3D software to create interiors as well, Some spec's for models, sizes etc would be needed. I always wanted to have the Bridge and interiors of the Enterprise Refit (TMP,Wtok) Enterprise A or Excelsior Bridge/interior (Undiscovered Country), and a Bridge/Interior of the Enterprise C. If they would allow us modlers to send them models they could use I would be at the fore front.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I play in a virtual world that has this available. I do use it to create a a lot of things that I then sell to other players. This is a great idea and I do support it.

That being said the editor is included from day one in that game. In order to get that type of editor for designing ships is NOT viable, IF this were to happen we would be restricted to using the Foundry. I tried using it but find it to ..... bulky for me. Yes it would be a great option for STO with a lot of work going into it.

I would like to see it in game though.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jslyn wrote: »
    Unrealistic? It seems to me like one of these would solve the problem of the other. :P
    Cryptic never solve problems. At best, they add new ones, and they might change the UI to hide them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2014
    Colonization and Exploration is what Startrek has always been about

I can see empty sectors added to the game filled with Unique planets made by the fans to be explored and colonized

Foundry missions made by fans could be added as first contact missions /Instances...conflict missions all over these planets

Add these new sectors between the existing factions in the game filled with these planets and solar systems.............

It would be awesome for there to be 10 sectors between Earth and the klingon sectors...10 more between earth and new romulas 10 more empty to ds9 with no transport hubs in them but 10 solar systems filled with planets to explore and colonize

Think about all of the new uses for freighters

These colonys built like a sim citys by the players and the structers built with projects over the course of several weeks and in stages like player citys were built in SWG

The stages of a buildings construction could also be used as its destruction levels from damage
    The said building would have for instance 10 stages of building and destruction levels

This bulding would be built by a Fan designer and the building could be sold in the zen or dilithium store repairs would be projects complted by players

Exotic food crops for the players to use made by fan designers done the same way like farmvill

underground mines done the same way build tunnels to get ore then use the tunnels to make spaces for underground citys / Factorys....mushroom Farms with Alien twist ! underground Fauna

Asteriod mines Nebula mines to gather resources done the same way

These ships for minning on ground and space the players could make NPC ships for alien Races the players could make without stepping on CBS rights and would give players many new and unique ships to fight against

Exotic alien animals to be avoded tamed controled hunted for resources

Lets build A player drived economy with these resources like swg had in the begining..............That was fantastic and a worthy model to remake in STO

Its a easy concept to realize we can build content for the game without stepping on rights and legal issues by limting the creativity to what content is needed
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse