What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PVP Leaderboards

Comments

• Options
    pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    is it okay if I only submit logs of games I dominate in, and not the games where I dont do as well?

You see where I am going with this, yes?

'imo' - Leaderboards are the bane of pvp gaming.
  • Options
    aldo1rainealdo1raine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    pulserazor wrote: »
    is it okay if I only submit logs of games I dominate in, and not the games where I dont do as well?

Meh, it is still fun, take it for what it is worth.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nerf Klinks, Buff Rommies
  • Options
    mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This requires quite a bit of constant logfile resetting. And then you have to hope that nobody you encounter in your not-so-good games reports match data...

Currenty it is so that totally dominating Tacs have a better chance to get super high scores simply because they can get excellent values in all three flexible categories: damage, healing and kills. This is not easily solved unless one simply discards onesided matches, or attaches penalties to such matches (but this brings other problems too). Particularly the kill score rises significantly when one singlehandedly destroys an enemy group (doing this alone is better for your score than doing it as a team of super tacs).

Or maybe I could attempt to calculate a "match quality rating" and display the average match quality next to the player's score in the ranking so that people can judge for themselves whether the numbers are justified.
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Some general comments and criticisms.
    • The installer. Needs to detect the language on the computer - had to guess at what buttons did, since I don't speak German.
    • Privacy concerns. What if people don't wish to have their name up on the leaderboards? (Not saying me, but there are people out there who are nutty about privacy concerns)
    • Segregation by career only. There should be an option to choose by ship, by role (healer, damage dealer etc) and by type of match.
    • Certain roles not recognized. Such as movement control ships.
    • Updating seems to be erratic. I just played 3 rounds of Arena on one character, and only two rounds have actually been processed by the website. Another character was recorded by someone else on the team, but it only shows results from more than a week ago.
    • Application ambiguity. When do I use start/stop and save?
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    masterkeychnk5masterkeychnk5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Some general comments and criticisms.
    • The installer. Needs to detect the language on the computer - had to guess at what buttons did, since I don't speak German.
    • Privacy concerns. What if people don't wish to have their name up on the leaderboards? (Not saying me, but there are people out there who are nutty about privacy concerns)
    • Segregation by career only. There should be an option to choose by ship, by role (healer, damage dealer etc) and by type of match.
    • Certain roles not recognized. Such as movement control ships.
    • Updating seems to be erratic. I just played 3 rounds of Arena on one character, and only two rounds have actually been processed by the website. Another character was recorded by someone else on the team, but it only shows results from more than a week ago.
    • Application ambiguity. When do I use start/stop and save?

Relax its just beta.

Privacy is up to the point that you can hide your @handle afaik with an option in the program.

Only successful 5v5's are upped to hilberts database, not 5v4's or w.e. i believe.

The roles are really hard to 'detect' because of the limited data in the combatlogs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not Snakie, MT is!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    mancom wrote: »
    This requires quite a bit of constant logfile resetting. And then you have to hope that nobody you encounter in your not-so-good games reports match data...

Currenty it is so that totally dominating Tacs have a better chance to get super high scores simply because they can get excellent values in all three flexible categories: damage, healing and kills. This is not easily solved unless one simply discards onesided matches, or attaches penalties to such matches (but this brings other problems too). Particularly the kill score rises significantly when one singlehandedly destroys an enemy group (doing this alone is better for your score than doing it as a team of super tacs).

Or maybe I could attempt to calculate a "match quality rating" and display the average match quality next to the player's score in the ranking so that people can judge for themselves whether the numbers are justified.

YEah I think overall it wont get that far. I just use it everywhere especially against good premade teams so you ahve a better picture of the builds effectiveness (Somewhat)

Pugstomping is just giving yourself an inaccurate rating anyway.
    (And on that matter, if you pugstomp you pretty much are either a decent player (compared to the pugs) anyway so i guess it will all normalize pretty okish.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I have added more information about individual matches.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    What exactly is Utilities?
  • Options
    jjgrands420jjgrands420 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited August 2013

dont worry ill be sure to catch u goons when ur slacking just like eve, when winners post, losers get their shame recorded. i only posted 3 games but show up in 10 people have posted during period.

good luck trying to hide, maybe just dotn sign up? its voluntary afterall

i am as good as my green the board says, upper middies. its been better :0

iv been after this idea since it was utilized in my first trek game of note, sfc3 in form of wgl leagues. me and stardagger both topped the 1v1 ranks (during seperate eras, we never met in game)

For anyone who says pvp is dead, this is like phoenixdown rebirth the last chance against the ruby weapon/ so many escoteric references, so little time.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I have added some "Top 10" lists for effectiveness, dps, hps and other things.
  • Options
    drunkadmiraldrunkadmiral Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Nice work Hilbert!
    It would be awesome if Cryptic could implement something like this in game, and all matches would count for leaderboard.
  • Options
    ussenterpisezussenterpisez Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Sick Mate :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    just wanna reiterate how awesome this is. keep up the good work hilbert!!!!

possible suggestions:

-record kills/ killed by- show "favored target" "most killed by"

-lose points for receiving healing

- lose points for disengaging combat

- points for killing ai ships

kudos!

as often has in this game, a player driven effort has revitalized my interest in pvp. huzzah!
  • Options
    edited August 2013

make a top ten single damage hits please. top ten damage done that week/month

-- expand to include categories (top dhc, top torp.. etc)

as there is no judge of burst as kills are result of snb for many of the top ten kills players
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I think something broke.

None of my characters appear on the lists except under handle search, yet my main (Janok) has an engineer rating of 3,189.1, which should place me at #3 in Engineers for the last month, #5 for the last week, and #17 out of all for the last week.

*cue breaking down sound*
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    There are restrictions to eliminate "one match wonders" with unrealistic results: to appear in the regular lists (and not just in handle search) characters need 2+ matches for the daily list, 4+ for weekly and 6+ for monthly.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    make a top ten single damage hits please. top ten damage done that week/month

-- expand to include categories (top dhc, top torp.. etc)

as there is no judge of burst as kills are result of snb for many of the top ten kills players

I dont use nukes for kills , ask around :)
  • Options
    drunkadmiraldrunkadmiral Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What exactly is Utilities?

I also would like to know how the "Util" and "style" numbers are formed.
  • Options
    g0h4n4g0h4n4 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hi Hilbert,

I am surprised I am #1 after 2 games of the No Bs Tourney, I am in no way 'L33T' or pro, just an average joe. Interesting nevertheless.

But I would be keen to provide you with more testing if you so require with the client program.
    Now found frequenting MWO short term and then Star Citizen long term. Raged Quit PVP long ago
    - Gohan (House of Beautiful /Sad Pandas)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    There is now a really basic team detection algorithm.

I wish Cryptic put team information in the log or at least removed the log distance thing that makes recording complete matches difficult if a reporting player dies and respawns at the other side of the map.
  • Options
    ilhanskilhansk Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    nevermind

/10char
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!

• Options
    pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Combat logs only record what is happening on the field within a limited radius from the source's log by the way - not the whole map.

And my original comment still stands - What if I only want to post my 'great matches' - most legit leaderboards are filled with boosters and cheaters .- This one will be the easiest of them all to stat pad on, cuz its about as legit as a an electoral college.

this quaint little 'leaderboard' is a stat *****'s dream. - enjoy.
  • Options
    skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    wtf, my style for a game was only 0.06 but I was flying backwards the whole match while shooting fireworks and extending shields on my pets. Obviously, your style algorithm needs retweaking.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    And my original comment still stands - What if I only want to post my 'great matches'
    My original answer still stands, too: You cannot just post your best matches, because other players will record the matches where you weren't so great.

Obviously this requires that enough players participate in uploading data; but any kind of meaningful leaderboard requires a broad data set anyway.
  • Options
    maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Combat logs only record what is happening on the field within a limited radius from the source's log by the way - not the whole map.

And my original comment still stands - What if I only want to post my 'great matches' - most legit leaderboards are filled with boosters and cheaters .- This one will be the easiest of them all to stat pad on, cuz its about as legit as a an electoral college.

Considering that cryptic hasn't event attempted to create a board and this guy isn't being paid to do any of this.

I think its worth it.
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • Options
    panserbjorne39panserbjorne39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hilbert,

Can you please expand on what effects Style and Utility ratings? Sansa is very concerned about her style. =P
    Also, do you only start the combat log and then go about your pvping or do you start and stop it after each match?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Usually it should not be necessary to start/stop the combatlog before/after every pvp match.

The only exception is if you spend a lot of time in Kerrat or other multiplayer combat zones and zone from/to these places directly to/from the PVP maps. Currently my encounter detection takes a period of one minute without any combat events as a sign that an encounter has ended and a new one begins. Being in combat (or equivalently registering combat events from other players/entities) too close to the PVP match can prevent this detection method from working correctly.

Utility points are granted for using abilities that have a comparatively small damage/healing footprint, but which can have a big impact for the team. These are things like extends, chroniton weapons and many sci abilities like tractor beam, shockwave, gravity well, tyken's rift. (Unfortunately things like SS/VM/CPB/TachBeam don't show up in the log file at all, so they cannot be used fro the rating.)

Style points have a rather small impact on the final result. There are minor bonus poins for extends, psw and ramming speed. Currently the rest are style penalties for using certain pets (runabouts, drone ships, interceptors) and consoles (e.g. elachi console, temporal backstep). The effect on the final result is small because some of the really annoying things like TIF are not in the combat log.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Team detection has been rewritten and should be more reliable now.
  • Options
    panserbjorne39panserbjorne39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hilbert,

There's something bugging me. And please correct me if I'm wrong but the program only logs 5v5 matches, right? Well it's happened quite a bit that I'm trying to get my two matches in for the day on a particular character and either a. I end up in a 4v4 or 5v4 etc. or b. someone logs off in the middle of the match. So I may have an excellent match, with great stats, followed by one that just doesn't show which may also have been a good match or maybe not. So as far as the board is concerned, unless I keep playing now for a third match, which I might not be able to do depending on time and the Q's, my first match is pointless.
    Since the board is logging individual performance and not team performance, even in a lopsided match, I could still have a great score but it won't show on the board.
    It's late, I'm tired so I hope some of this makes sense. Is there a way for the program to be more flexible in this regard? Can you change the daily requirement to one match per day?
    On another topic, is there any way to differentiate between assists and direct kills and give points for each?
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I was in a match earlier and got booted at like 5 mins in, couldnt get back in. i had a 1,000 rating or less for that match because someone else was runnin it.

:(
This discussion has been closed.