Learn to purify

Options
valorien
valorien Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Cleric
Dear bad clerics you are giving the rest of us bad reputations by not properly purifying. This is true of several bosses but the two that come to mind are Gaurnob and Polearm from the BH/FB 69. Far too often I have characters tell me there is no way they can tank these bosses because "one time I had 2 clerics both healing me and I got destroyed!!"

And 10seconds later i'm solo healing them with NO PROMBLEM AT ALL. I'm confident that I am good at what I do, but just as confident that far too many of you (Clerics) are BAD at what you do. Learn what the boss looks like right before he does a potentially lethal debuff so you can anticipate it and not find yourself starting a long party heal when you should be purifying. Also, don't be afraid to slam the "Esc" key to cancel a heal and rush the purify.

Don't just hold down your ironheart on these bosses. You can drop 2-3 ironheart and then wait to see if your next move is a party heal or purify. Then just repeat.

So please, stop giving us a bad name. Learn your boss and don't rely on ironheart only.
Post edited by valorien on

Comments

• Achelois - Dreamweaver
    Achelois - Dreamweaver Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    some clerics don't know when to purify because they don't pay attention to the icons in the squad window...
  • Kott - Sanctuary
    Kott - Sanctuary Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    <--- Lol Tank alt

Usually saying I'm uncharmed either drives the "Oh surez Icanz soloheal yu! No prob!" away or makes them pay attention really really well during those bosses... Unless they are fond of dying.
  • Alreatha - Sanctuary
    Alreatha - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Some don't even pay attention, period, thinking that BB or clipping the heal key down = excuse to AFK.
    b:chuckle ==> Abusing Legerity since Demonhood <== b:chuckle
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    It would be nice if purify had faster recharge time and didn't require chi.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Alreatha - Sanctuary
    Alreatha - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Max puri doesn't take long to recharge.
    Demon Purify costs no chi to cast.
    b:chuckle ==> Abusing Legerity since Demonhood <== b:chuckle
  • brantanor
    brantanor Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    It is true that there are "bad" clerics out there. It is also true that some don't play it right.

But this also goes for the other classes. Just because they have a cleric healing them, does that mean they don't have to use an occasional pot themselves ?

I've seen one instance where the tank said "i have no pots" just when he's about to tank an fb boss....

But it's true that some clerics "forget" purify or even don't have it levelled and at 1.

And it's fairly simple to come take a look at the forums to see which bosses do what. At least then you're prepared.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    The only ones to be concerned about are fire and wood.earth and metal might be secondaries.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    The only ones to be concerned about are fire and wood.earth and metal might be secondaries.

u posted on wrong thread <_<
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Forget curses/debuffs and purifies, I've seen, way before that, clerics not purify a tank on DOT's like Drake. Just like the failbarbs who only attack one monster in a group so the clerics can grab aggro with a heal, there are failclerics who don't purify, which really makes them useless in their 80s once it's BH time.
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Oh hello Janus ^^!

At OP, its not about knowing how to purify. Its about that more then 60% of cleric have purify under lv5. b:shockedb:shocked
    b:dirty
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    truth is some clerics realy suck ( so do some mages, but for some reason sucking with another class is not that obvious until later on in the game).
    But at the same time, some clerics that suck are willing to learn, and they suck because somehow they were able to get through lvls without learning their class properly.
    A few days ago I did a FB69 for someone with a BM with 5.4k HP and a cleric with LVL 2 Purify!!!!. At the beginning the cleric had no idea what to do and how purify works on Pole and Gaurnob. We've got about 2 wipes (blink in the pool FTW to stay alive ) but then he got the moves right and we finished the job.
    So, yeah, some are just plan idiots, but some are just lacking knowledge. I always respect and have patience with the second group, I can't stand the 1st b:thanks

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Oh hello Janus ^^!

At OP, its not about knowing how to purify. Its about that more then 60% of cleric have purify under lv5. b:shockedb:shocked

My purify is level 2 right now, and the only time there's a problem is when a BM is tanking instead of a barb on BH69. I am working on leveling it up though, since at this point the prices on it are pretty negligible. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    My purify is level 2 right now, and the only time there's a problem is when a BM is tanking instead of a barb on BH69. I am working on leveling it up though, since at this point the prices on it are pretty negligible. b:surrender

At level 80, you definitely need to level it up. b:surrender

At least get it to level 5-6.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Options
    At level 80, you definitely need to level it up. b:surrender

At least get it to level 5-6.

Right after I posted that I went and visited Lin the Cleric. Now it's level 5. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
  • prof
    prof Posts: 1,111
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I've had purified maxed since 74. I had level 5 at 60, and gradually worked for more levels in it. I got it because I was known for solo healing far more than being with another healer. at one point I was known throughout the server I played because people trusted me to keep them alive; though, if you pissed me off, mistakes happen and my ressurrect skill seemingly disappears.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Right after I posted that I went and visited Lin the Cleric. Now it's level 5. b:victory

b:pleasedb:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    Options

b:victory
    \10chars
  • Mala_Curica - Lost City
    Mala_Curica - Lost City Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    some clerics don't know when to purify because they don't pay attention to the icons in the squad window...

well u need to target tank so no looking at icons in squad window.
    but i am sure half of those ''BAD'' clerics dont know how icon for debuff look like b:chuckle
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    anyway, imo

1lvl purify till 69 lvl is okie (for few normal bosses like kong u ll want to find other cler anyway, and u have way more important skills to learn like heals and buffs and rez)

6-8 purfiy on 69 lvl for fb69 purposes if u wanna solo-heal it (more important is range here than cooldown tbh ~~> phy aoe hurts)

and maxed near 80s coz u ll have too much sp anyway and will be useful for mean places like fc btw
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Options
    but i am sure half of those ''BAD'' clerics dont know how icon for debuff look like b:chuckle

It really isn't too hard to glance between the tank and the squad down the side of the screen. I do that anyway to make sure no one pulls aggro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aneemah - Heavens Tear
    Aneemah - Heavens Tear Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    anyway, imo

1lvl purify till 69 lvl is okie (for few normal bosses like kong u ll want to find other cler anyway, and u have way more important skills to learn like heals and buffs and rez)

6-8 purfiy on 69 lvl for fb69 purposes if u wanna solo-heal it (more important is range here than cooldown tbh ~~> phy aoe hurts)

and maxed near 80s coz u ll have too much sp anyway and will be useful for mean places like fc btw

Yep, Decaying Fragrance makes Polearm look like a n00b when it cones to debuffing, and don't get me started at the amp boss b:shocked
  • Clercie - Sanctuary
    Clercie - Sanctuary Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    brantanor wrote: »
    It is true that there are "bad" clerics out there. It is also true that some don't play it right.

But this also goes for the other classes. Just because they have a cleric healing them, does that mean they don't have to use an occasional pot themselves ?

I've seen one instance where the tank said "i have no pots" just when he's about to tank an fb boss....

But it's true that some clerics "forget" purify or even don't have it levelled and at 1.

And it's fairly simple to come take a look at the forums to see which bosses do what. At least then you're prepared.

Totally Agreed they depend sometimes too much on us
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Monkeymama - Dreamweaver
    Monkeymama - Dreamweaver Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    As a newbie cleric thanks for the tip. I am sure nobody wants to be a "bad" cleric. I know I wouldn't want anyone to die on my watch.

Is the debuff icon different than the poison icon? What does it look like?
  • Aneemah - Heavens Tear
    Aneemah - Heavens Tear Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    As a newbie cleric thanks for the tip. I am sure nobody wants to be a "bad" cleric. I know I wouldn't want anyone to die on my watch.

Is the debuff icon different than the poison icon? What does it look like?

As a basic guideline, debuffs usually have red border on their icon, while buffs should be bue bordered. Now, there are some exceptions with the genie skills, but you can still mouse over to see the effect.
    edited October 2009
    Options
    debuff icons are.. various

turn on showing buff/debuff icon in squad windows and learn how those bad ones look like (check them if something new appear - point em with cursor and read description).
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

• Monkeymama - Dreamweaver
    Monkeymama - Dreamweaver Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Thanks will do.
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Lookie at like this...if it wasnt there a second ago....its a debuff =P
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Lookie at like this...if it wasnt there a second ago....its a debuff =P

smart :P
    clers shud rly train divided attention and check squad bars ftw

• Ellery - Dreamweaver
    Ellery - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Tip:

Play a Barb first b:victory My main is a level 73 Barb. And i know all about dying do the cause of debuffs and clerics that didnt purify, or didnt time it correct.

Best thing to do is gather info about certain bosses before jumping in without knowing anything about them.
  • Sturym - Heavens Tear
    Sturym - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options

Not trying to put you down, but you either you've never played a cleric or you don't do many dungeon treks like FF or TT. Paying attention to the party is essential in FF, so to say that you only need to target the tank is a complete misunderstanding.

And as far as Valorien goes, I have been on his team probably more times any anyone in this server. (It helps that we know each other IRL, but whatevea...) I have seen him keep parties alive that were 80+, doing 80+ business when he was only in his 60s. The biggest part of all this was mainly due to purify and knowing how to track the party, versus tracking the tank.

In a warzone, tunnel vision will get you killed. Keep your eyes open and watch the squad. If it's light damage, feel free to do a little DD here and there... But your priority is to keep the squad alive. I would never go in FF without a cleric who doesn't have Purify maxed, personally. Not saying it can't be done, cause I've seen many great feats, but it wouldn't be worth the risk to me.