PWI Maintenance Discussion 7/20/15 COMPLETE

Options
surtr
surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
edited July 2015 in General Discussion
Hi all,

This week's maintenance will be a day early, occurring tonight from 11pm to 2am PDT. There are no patch notes for tonight's update.

Maintenance question: How likely do you think it is that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe?
==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

Post edited by surtr on

Comments

• ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    Options
    Probably pretty darn high, though I doubt we'll meet any, anytime soon. If ever.​​

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • krian090590
    krian090590 Posts: 235 Arc User
    Options
    craz1nf wrote: »
    I'm still pondering if there's even any "intelligent" life on this planet
    Stop pondering. this so called "intelligent" life is rare on this planet. good luck finding someone

Etherblade Server
    due to mishaps in my past few years in game, I do NOT accept random invites (faction/squad/friend no randoms period) NOR will I give buffs (cleric/barb/sin/exp if i have it) to random people because they ask. If I DO give buffs to a random person, it's because of a random whim (much like the red detonator button sitting at my desk that i will one day push at a random whim)
    Also do NOT look at my gear and then proceed to pm me asking to buy my gear or for a loan of coin. It's just plain rude.
    I have too many toons to name, but if you play on Etherblade server and you come across a toon that acts this way, or if the world is suddenly destroyed, it was probably me.
  • chary
    chary Posts: 850 Arc User
    Options
    Surtr, can one of you GMs reply to this? I've had multiple friends confirm that we're not getting the tokens from the charm portion of the spend promo.

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1195756/is-anyone-else-not-getting-the-tokens-from-the-spend-promo​​
  • abunnywarrior
    abunnywarrior Posts: 24 Arc User
    Options
    surtr wrote: »
    Hi all,

There are no patch notes for tonight's update.

So there will be no official notes, but what are you doing? I'm interested in whether this is a scheduled server restart or what you're changing/preparing us for without telling us.
  • ironknight
    ironknight Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Very high due to the size of the universe. However we will never know seeing as how humans/some other species would have to develop FLT (faster then light) travel to find out.

And if you believe in some kinda of "god" don't you think they/it would get bored and make more species somewhere else? Or humans on another planet?

• seitori
    seitori Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi all,

Maintenance question: How likely do you think it is that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe?

That depends... On whether all that life out there in space has been binge watching all of our 'Low Brow television shows' that we've had on lately...

If they have been watching it > then I think that we'd all have to settle on the fact that there is no longer have Any Intelligent Life in the Universe now (All thanks to shows with peeps like 'Snookie, Honey Bubu, the Cardashians & the Duck Dynasty cast'...)

But look at it this way (at least we'd never be invaded) ~ Either they've already all been lobotomized by our viewing habits ~ or they may have already been to afraid to get to close to us (for fear of also losing copius amounts of their braincells) ~ or they may have just simply watched our broadcasts from afar and realized that there is no intelligent life here on our planet ~ So any way you look at it, we're set for a peaceful future... o:)
    Post edited by seitori on
  • dahighroller
    dahighroller Posts: 29 Arc User
    Options
    "Sweetybot" server status please.....
  • zoner112012
    zoner112012 Posts: 943 Arc User
    Options
    I am wondering when we will be getting the last part of Primal World myself. China has had it for awhile now and usually the wait for us to get the updates is about 3 months and no word as of yet for when we are getting it. They already have 2 big updates ahead of us now from what I have heard and we are missing out.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • skooroo
    skooroo Posts: 2 Arc User
    Options
    oh cmon!! 3 times in 6 days?? this BS maintenance, ill probably start playing a more consistent game. this is rediculous
  • skooroo
    skooroo Posts: 2 Arc User
    Options
    wasting US dollars on a game i dont even get to play. useless
  • babycham63
    babycham63 Posts: 7 Arc User
    Options
    Hi all,

There are no patch notes for tonight's update.

So there will be no official notes, but what are you doing? I'm interested in whether this is a scheduled server restart or what you're changing/preparing us for without telling us.

Maybe they are putting the 9m note back in.... the one they promised us in the first place and then removed :)
  • talamaijaci
    talamaijaci Posts: 6 Arc User
    Options
    I would love to think that there is other intelligent life out there, but, they are probably just as stuck where they are, as were are here lol.

If they are not stuck where they are I hope that if they ever come here they are peaceful and would like to teach us their view on the secrets of our universe.

On another note:

I really hope that PWI is under maint to fix their new TERRIBLE event system. I am really irritated with the fact that the last 3 'Events' Have completely missed my Veno, although I doubt this 'fix' is possible lol. Considering I have been on an unofficial 'Do not mail' list since the freaking rollback occured years ago and I never received any compensation for anything for ANY event since then.

Every single one of my chars has gotten event rewards and whatnot but for some reason my Veno (Main acct) hasn't been included, and GMs simply don't care.
    rbjupy.jpg
    Dreyani 101/101/102 Demon Venomancer
  • hypereccentrik
    hypereccentrik Posts: 529 Arc User
    Options
    Yea I am also curious as to when we are getting our next expansion
  • asterelle
    asterelle Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Options

I should probably work on resurrecting her but I'm having more fun with the Forums Enhancement Extension
    ​​
    Post edited by asterelle on
  • dynadad
    dynadad Posts: 8 Arc User
    Options
    Its quite obvious the intelligence does not belong in the PWI staff. Has anyone ever told you folks that communication is the cornerstone to all business and personal relationships? Your lack of communication regarding this early maintenance for instance....... Funny how you folks have no problem spamming world chat with info that will make you money, but have not considered communicating changes that will effect everyone like tonights maintenance. If I ran my business like this I would not be in business. You need to ask yourselves how many people have quit your games due to poor gameing experience, lies about future upgrades (DQ points system) and poor communication. I expect no reply as with literally 1000's of other complaints never responded to, but here it is for whatever it's worth.
  • thehuntdown
    thehuntdown Posts: 4 Arc User
    Options
    *rolls eyes* do you guys have to be so angry all the damn time gosh.. they are running a whole game with fk knows how many players if you don't like it can't you just quit quietly like a normal human and not be a lil bish abt it -____-
  • mpfi
    mpfi Posts: 8 Arc User
    Options
    hell, most of the time, I can't even find intelligent life here on Earth.
  • jabq
    jabq Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Options
    asterelle wrote: »

I should probably work on resurrecting her but I'm having more fun with the Forums Enhancement Extension
    ​​

The link did not work for me asterelle. Would love to see sweetiebot (sp) back, when ever you get the time.

Also wanted to ask people, do the forum pages load twice for you in firefox? I open a page, it loads, than it vanishes, three loading squares appear and the page loads again.

Another small issue, when you are browsing, and you have scrolled down a page, you go on to the next page, click back, the page is returned to the top and not the previous down position that you were in. This becomes annoying, because the number of posts have increased now, and scrolling down takes too much time *shocked, lazy user here*

As for maint question, e0bda933182d6b10bb47e60029745aec.jpg
  • kurisukotze
    kurisukotze Posts: 240 Arc User
    Options
    *sigh* Intelligent life *sigh*
    Rencko - 105/105/105 - Seeker -Twilight Temple Server

Current Gear:
    *Out of Date*
  • stormspirit1
    stormspirit1 Posts: 1 Arc User
    Options
    :)So true!!!
  • asterelle
    asterelle Posts: 861 Arc User
    Options
    jabq wrote: »

​​

The link did not work for me asterelle. Would love to see sweetiebot (sp) back, when ever you get the time.

Oops fixed http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1195098
  • alecjsmithson
    alecjsmithson Posts: 5 Arc User
    Options
    dynadad wrote: »
    Its quite obvious the intelligence does not belong in the PWI staff. Has anyone ever told you folks that communication is the cornerstone to all business and personal relationships? Your lack of communication regarding this early maintenance for instance....... Funny how you folks have no problem spamming world chat with info that will make you money, but have not considered communicating changes that will effect everyone like tonights maintenance. If I ran my business like this I would not be in business. You need to ask yourselves how many people have quit your games due to poor gameing experience, lies about future upgrades (DQ points system) and poor communication. I expect no reply as with literally 1000's of other complaints never responded to, but here it is for whatever it's worth.

AMEN

QQ - DQ devalued
    QQ - junk equipment drops devalued
    QQ - potions drops, no value anymore

Talk about adding insult to injury, can't even break even on repairs.

Then we get goofy 'events' that don't even work right sometimes in terms of collecting rewards. They're going
    to a lot of trouble to distract us instead of just restoring some value to the game. I signed up to PLAY, i.e. at
    least be able to grind for some extra coins.

• dblazen1
    dblazen1 Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    Options

What if there's a planet where reptiles think their government is ran by humans?​​
    Jws3dXe.gif
    The only fitting image for this forum.

• bigguns1
    bigguns1 Posts: 6 Arc User
    Options
    I have no doubt that there is intelligence elsewhere out there. I graduated with honors back in 1985. Also, I was on the National Merit Honor Society, which compromises only the top 3% of students in the nation. I honestly feel there are less people with "book smarts" today then there were in 1985. High School grads. now can not even spell, can not count back change, and are unable to do math without a calculator. It is a very sad world we live in today. People depend on "spell check" to correct their spelling and a calculator or some form of electronics to do their math for them. What happens someday when all the computer systems crash??? This is one sorry country I can tell you that.
    As for intelligence relating to the game, there are far too many immature adults and teens in world chat that make you want to vomit due to the graphic in nature sexual they put out there. Needs to be a suspension or permanent ban on these people. You come to enjoy the game and have to deal with that.
    A. Yes I know I can black list these people, however, there are too many of them to blacklist.
    B. Yes I know I can "turn off" world chat., I choose not to because I need squads and need to be able to see world chat for what I am looking for, and also, if I did this, then that means I have to keep going out of my way because of idiots trying to ruin my game experience. That isn't right that people who simply enjoy the game have to be the ones to go out of their way and can't enjoy simply talking to others.
    c. How about rather than tell me what I could do to not see their nasty world chat, we make some decisions on how to get rid of these immature people who do stuff like this... "That is all" as some of the people say in world chat.
  • mynamewasstolen
    mynamewasstolen Posts: 56 Arc User
    Options
    well this is disappointing. Just woke up after having worked all weekend and being exhausted after a monday shift following that, and hoped to log in. If there are no real patches or anything of the sort going on then why is maintenance a day early this week, and why does it take 3 hours to power cycle the servers?
    By the light of the moon, our true forms are revealed.
  • dblazen1
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bigguns1 wrote: »
    I have no doubt that there is intelligence elsewhere out there. I graduated with honors back in 1985. Also, I was on the National Merit Honor Society, which compromises only the top 3% of students in the nation. I honestly feel there are less people with "book smarts" today then there were in 1985. High School grads. now can not even spell, can not count back change, and are unable to do math without a calculator. It is a very sad world we live in today. People depend on "spell check" to correct their spelling and a calculator or some form of electronics to do their math for them. What happens someday when all the computer systems crash??? This is one sorry country I can tell you that.
    As for intelligence relating to the game, there are far too many immature adults and teens in world chat that make you want to vomit due to the graphic in nature sexual they put out there. Needs to be a suspension or permanent ban on these people. You come to enjoy the game and have to deal with that.
    A. Yes I know I can black list these people, however, there are too many of them to blacklist.
    B. Yes I know I can "turn off" world chat., I choose not to because I need squads and need to be able to see world chat for what I am looking for, and also, if I did this, then that means I have to keep going out of my way because of idiots trying to ruin my game experience. That isn't right that people who simply enjoy the game have to be the ones to go out of their way and can't enjoy simply talking to others.
    c. How about rather than tell me what I could do to not see their nasty world chat, we make some decisions on how to get rid of these immature people who do stuff like this... "That is all" as some of the people say in world chat.

>back in my day post
    Oh no you didn't.
    Those electronic devices you mention? It's called progress.
    Also, good luck doing any sort of advanced math or algebra fast without a calculator.
    Your grammar isn't perfect either, so the irony in your post is fairly high.

Please, don't be such a bigot.​​
    Jws3dXe.gif

• tet
    tet Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Are insects intelligent? Or reptilians? Fishes? Mammalians? All primates? Or just humans? Or even not all humans?

I suppose surtr talks about intelligence which is at least on our level (average adult human without mental disabilities).

Unlike most others I believe there are not many others around (yet).

Our universe is young, just ~14 billion years old.

It takes time
    * to form patterns like stars, galaxies and galaxy clusters.
    * to form stable planets and solar systems.
    * till the planets have cold surfaces.
    * till comets and asteroids fill them up with water.
    * till first cells establisih (lipis have to accumulate). At the same time a carbon or silicium-based self-replicable system has to evolve and combine with the cellular system.
    * and so on.

Even if all those unlikely events occure, it's likely that this primitive life won't establish. Or stays on "bacterial" state "forever".
    Even if primitive life becomes more complex, tough but stupid dinosaur/shark-like organisms might win over more intelligent organisms.
    Even if self-reflecting/self-aware non-human life evolves somewhere else, they migth stay on state of stone age "forever" (till they become extinct).

I believe that life is a young phenomene in our universe. We are lucky that evolution of life on earth already started more than 3.5 billion years ago.
    I believe we are one of the first or even THE first intelligence species (not mentioning extinct human races like homo neanderthalensis ) of the whole universe.
    Not our merit, nothing to be proud of, it just happened.
    Post edited by tet on
  • dblazen1
    Options
    tet wrote: »
    Are insects intelligent? Or reptilians? Fishes? Mammalians? All primates? Or just humans? Or even not all humans?

I suppose surtr talks about intelligence which is at least on our level (average adult human without mental disabilities).

In comparison to most others I believe there are not many others around (yet).

Our universe is young, just ~14 billion years old.

It takes time
    * to form patterns like stars, galaxies and galaxy clusters.
    * to form stable planets and solar systems.
    * till the planets have cold surfaces.
    * till comets and asteroids fill them up with water.
    * till 1st cells establisih (lipis have to accumulate). At the same time a carbon or silicium-based self-replicable system has to evolve and combine with the cellular system.
    * and so on.

Even if all those unlikely events occure, it's likely that this primitive life won't establish. Or stays on "bacterial" state "forever".
    Even if primitive life becomes more complex, though but stupid dinosaur/shark-like organisms might win over more intelligent organisms.
    Even if self-reflecting/self-aware non-human life evolves somewhere else, they migth stay on state of stone age "forever" (till they become extinct).

I believe that life is a young phenomene in our universe. We are lucky that evolution of life on earth already started more than 3.5 billion years ago.
    I believe we are one of the first or even THE first intelligence species (not mentioning distinct human races like homo neanderthalensis ) of the whole universe.
    Not our merit, nothing to be proud of, it just happened.
    The problem with your believe is that you assume any inhabitable planet must have identical features like ours.
    Who says there's nothing that can live in extreme heat and thus not needing a cold surface? Who says planets need water?

It's too much of an assumption. But that's my opinion.​​
    Jws3dXe.gif

• jabq
    jabq Posts: 821 Arc User
    Options

Thank you for the link. This makes the forums more fun tiger-2.gif
    ​​