test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hunt Mobs and Poaching

hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
edited March 2018 in General Discussion (PC)
As currently designed, you have to kill dozens of regular mobs in order to spawn the "special" mob which has a very small probability
of actually dropping a lure component. What I am seeing is that are very few hunters who actually participate in the clearing phase, but
many are the first to jump in the moment one of the special mobs spawns.

It makes it very frustrating to put all that work in, to see someone else benefit from your work, with zero effort on their part. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people either standing off to the side watching you work until the mob spawns - or "cruisers" who cruise the zone looking
at multiple areas of the map for the special mobs. Doubly frustrating to see someone else killing the special mob, and you can't
get there in time.

My suggestion for the Devs:
Provide a limited number of instanced hunt quests each week, with a special mob somewhere on the map, and a somewhat higher probability
of dropping the component. It gives an alternative way of getting lure components that is poach free, and much less frustrating. It would also provide a secondary benefit of reducing the overall population in Omu, helping with lag.

Comments

• Options
    hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Never said I "claimed" any specific area - but I do expect others to contribute to the clearing of mobs. As far as monitoring the area, I have no issues with the 6 spawn spots in the bear area for example - but it is possible for someone to jump a spawn while I'm either working on another spot or dealing with a T-Rex.
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    > @hercules125 said:
    > As currently designed, you have to kill dozens of regular mobs in order to spawn the "special" mob which has a very small probability
    > of actually dropping a lure component. What I am seeing is that are very few hunters who actually participate in the clearing phase, but
    > many are the first to jump in the moment one of the special mobs spawns.
    >
    > It makes it very frustrating to put all that work in, to see someone else benefit from your work, with zero effort on their part. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people either standing off to the side watching you work until the mob spawns - or "cruisers" who cruise the zone looking
    > at multiple areas of the map for the special mobs. Doubly frustrating to see someone else killing the special mob, and you can't
    > get there in time.
    >
    > My suggestion for the Devs:
    > Provide a limited number of instanced hunt quests each week, with a special mob somewhere on the map, and a somewhat higher probability
    > of dropping the component. It gives an alternative way of getting lure components that is poach free, and much less frustrating. It would also provide a secondary benefit of reducing the overall population in Omu, helping with lag.

Or maybe you get some type of buff for clearing normal.mobs that allows you to see and hit special mobs..... problem solved
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    > @litaaers said:
    > Just a thought, if you are 'clearing' an area that is too large to monitor, how can you 'claim' it? Either you stay close to the spawn (or two) you consistently clear, or you clear a large area, and take your chances.
    >
    > I have been in instances where someone 'claims' the entire bear peninsula, and told me to move on. They can, of course, pound sand.

The monsters spawn at a specific rate.. you can hit all spawns before they respond and continue in order.. the zone is not too large.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    Personal note I use xnote timer for spawns .... never fails...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    If one person can 'claim' all the bears in an instance, then we would need an instance for each hunter. Not really feasible, especially if some people can do this for hours at a time, day after day. If you are there, you'll get the most damage in, and get the chance at the drop.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    If I am doing my runaround and, oh, hey! Look! Hunt mark! Sorry, going after it. I don't care if one person has been doing the clearing to get it. Their need isn't any greater than my own.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,228 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    I don't farm and I just kill the hunt when I happen to see one when I am doing normal quest. I don't check if there is anyone already there. I would have no idea if the person in the area was 5 seconds before me getting there or was staying there for 5 hours. I would not waste time so that the guy 5 seconds behind me would take it first. Until the game provides a pee marker to circle the area, I don't know who can claim the 'ownership' of the area or can claim that was their "hard work". The "hard work" could have been done by 5th person ahead of the person happens to be there.

Someone already told me I took his "hard work" when that particular "hard work" was actually done by me (I happened to aggro the bear when I passed by) a while ago before he was there.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    archangelzorak01archangelzorak01 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 324 Arc User
    If you're worried about other people 'poaching' your respawns that's on you. It's your responsibility to find an efficient killing route that allows you to 'control' a certain group of spawns. You have to locate a certain area where you can kill a certain number of groups in a repeatable pattern so as to circle back upon your pattern in such a way that you are coming upon your groups as they are respawning, or at least very shortly after they have respawned. Doing this will eliminate or drastically reduce the chances of your losing out on any rare spawns you have 'worked so hard' for.

I'm trying not to be too snide or demeaning, but this sort of thing is part and parcel to MMO's. If you're new to MMO player behavior consider yourself enlightened, if your not new to MMO player behavior you should know this already.
    Neverwinter Module 6: The only MMO expansion in the history of MMO's to remove more content than it added.

• Options
    benyrbenyr Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    Afraid i agree with some of the latter statements, whilst i wont "lurk" waiting for a rare spawn, if i happen across one on my travels im killing it.
    Just as an aside i think the omu hunts might be a step too far. The Sohenstar hunts held an attraction as the +5 rings were bis and the 480 il gear that dropped was great for alts, it was worth farming.
    But the omu stuff is no better by and large and has been released at the same time as the masterwork level v stuff. + the rng on trophy drops feels significantly worse. Why the devs think im going to waste my time actively farming for a miniscule chance of success when nothing i find will be as good as what i already have slotted is beyond me.
  • Options
    anomaleaanomalea Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    You're assuming that clear-cutting an area is the way to get rare spawns. What if there are only a specific number of spawns avalable per area/map? What if you have to kill a hunt mark somewhere in order to allow another to spawn. Maybe while you're sitting in you clear-cut, the only reason you get a rare spawn is because one of the "cruisers" hit a mark somewhere else, allowing yours to come in.

Yours is only one way to farm. And it messes with other ways.
  • Options
    hypnotorioushypnotorious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10 Arc User
    anomalea said:

You're assuming that clear-cutting an area is the way to get rare spawns. What if there are only a specific number of spawns avalable per area/map? What if you have to kill a hunt mark somewhere in order to allow another to spawn. Maybe while you're sitting in you clear-cut, the only reason you get a rare spawn is because one of the "cruisers" hit a mark somewhere else, allowing yours to come in.

Yours is only one way to farm. And it messes with other ways.

Exactly this ^^

I believe that there is a finite number of marks allowed on the map at a time. By killing a mark, it allows another to spawn. I don't 'know' that this is how it works, but I base my farming around this theory.

With this in mind, I do a circuit of the overland areas and kill any marks I see.
    If I need a particular one, bears for example. I make sure there are a few dead bears before I do my circuit. Then, whenever I find a mark, I race back to the bears and see if one has spawned.

Now, this brings me to the issue of poaching. I'm tired of being called poacher or more crudely insulted in game for farming the way I do. If someone clears an area repeatedly, the only way they see a spawn is if one of us evil poachers kills a mark elsewhere. And, if I kill a rex expressly to pop a spawn elsewhere, I'm going back to bears to get 'my spawn'.

According to my theory, clear-cutting can be an effective strategy, but it relies on other people using another strategy. And you just need to accept that sometimes, they're going to get what you 'worked' for first because they're working for it too, just using a different approach.

• Options
    dragonsbane3dragonsbane3 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    Using the Timer method on a set route works some times. The packs from my experience "over 1k hours in Shoenstar area" and over 200 in Omu so far have a set time with a +/- , 2/3 min. As well as they can be effected by heavy server lag.

I farm mainly around the 2am eastern time frame. The zones are dead at that time and you can find a instance with only 1 person in them often. One of my farm routes allows me to kill 7 packs of lizards, 9 YanTi packs and the 4 Spider packs and with 0 server lag the starting pack spaws as im getting to their location. I am an HR that 1 hits any pack with PG, and 2/3 hit packs without PG being up. So it is a nonstop route. If the zone is laggy I've seen it go from the packs being up when I get there to having to wait up to 3 min at the start of the route for them to pop, this is with only myself being in the instance. You can tell when the servers are acting up by the Rex's just standing in place and you can walk right up to them with no agro what so ever. Also when the BHE pops in there it seems to mess up the spawn cycles as well. Either from lag or from it resetting the packs around the arena area has some impact.

IMO they really need to adj the drop rate of the Lures. I've been told that they said its a 1-6 drop rate but that has to be over 10's of thousands of kills to get that number. I have cycles where I will get the rare 20-25 times to get 1 lure then I have others where I will get it to drop back to back 6-7 times in a row.

I don't know how they have the coding done to weither or not a lure drops to whom gets the drop if one does drop. Something needs to change for sure tho. I've been in my farming groups where all 5 of us hit it with none getting a drop and when it does drop no more than 1 in the group gets it. To all 5 of us not being in a group and hitting it with none getting a drop as all and when it does drop no more than 1 drops. It doesn't seem to be any method to the drops, we've tested to see if its the 1st one to hit to the one that gets the killing blow to the one that does the most dmg and nothing seems to be solid.

I can sympathize with people farming for hours and when a spawn does happen and you have 2-5 people not in your group smack it and you never seem to get the drop can be rather frustraiting. It sucks plain and simple, definitely does not incourage the farming for the Hunts at all.

@benyr , I think you are a little off on the quality of gear from there. The T3 drops BiS gloves and Boots, It is the only place to get the Tyrant weapons, which 2-3 drop every kill, as well as dropping rings to boot. The chest from the bear is BiS for any melee character in game as well as the other gloves "fearbringers"are BiS gloves for any class that doesn't rely on daily dmg. With the chest, gloves, boots and ring you get a raw 12% more dmg which is hands down better than any of the old hunts items, primal or mastercraft items. The "main of the manticore" is over powered as a PvP helm on a high HP toon. Everything else is MEH and salvage fodder or toss on a up and coming alt. If you choose not to farm the maps then you can buy the mastercraft rings which have the same stats if you want to use them on a companion that has ring slots.
    "The Sweet Ain't As Sweet Without The Sour!"
  • Options
    pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    I haven't gotten around to much deliberate Omu Hunt farming yet, but like others said, if you're gonna clear cut, it's on you to go to a low population instance and not get overextended. You should limit targets and pick a route that leads you back to the start right when, or slightly before, it re-spawns. When I'm running around, if I see a hunt target, I'm going for it. Sorry not sorry, but if you're not there, it's not yours. That's your fault for over extending yourself. You need to take a mob or two out of your rotation.

That said, I do often wait a bit, especially if I see someone killing mobs nearby. If no one comes around within ~20 seconds though, or that person goes somewhere else, I'm going for it. And for people who lurk around to wait for your kills to re-spawn? Yeah, that's pretty scummy behavior.

As for there being a limit on # of active rares per instance, I'm not sure about that. In Soshenstar, it's pretty common to see a whole ring of Rotting Ogres around Camp Vengeance. That seems unlikely behavior for a limited quantity.

Also, later on in this thread here seems to indicate that the "only one drop per kill" rumor is not true, so I don't think that's something to be concerned about.
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Best not to get greedy and overextend yourself. Clear out only what you can maintain visibility on if you are that sensitive about "poachers".

I don't think it's nice calling people poachers. Most of them are just running about doing their quests and happen to cross path a hunt mob; of course they will wack it. At the very least, they have to do one for their weekly. Without taking the time to look around to see if there is a farmer, I cannot tell if a farmer cleared the previous mobs or some other quester cleared it to enter a door. To expect a player look around first is a bit unreasonable. Basically, should be fair game if you are not there.
    pterias said:

As for there being a limit on # of active rares per instance, I'm not sure about that. In Soshenstar, it's pretty common to see a whole ring of Rotting Ogres around Camp Vengeance. That seems unlikely behavior for a limited quantity.

I think this is another manifestation of the game's streakly RNG. After an HE ends and the area is repopulated, each spawn point rolled the ogres. The other day I killed 22 of them. And I did not see any one else around who may have been farming.

• Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

Best not to get greedy and overextend yourself. Clear out only what you can maintain visibility on if you are that sensitive about "poachers".

I don't think it's nice calling people poachers. Most of them are just running about doing their quests and happen to cross path a hunt mob; of course they will wack it. At the very least, they have to do one for their weekly. Without taking the time to look around to see if there is a farmer, I cannot tell if a farmer cleared the previous mobs or some other quester cleared it to enter a door. To expect a player look around first is a bit unreasonable. Basically, should be fair game if you are not there.

pterias said:

I think this is another manifestation of the game's streakly RNG. After an HE ends and the area is repopulated, each spawn point rolled the ogres. The other day I killed 22 of them. And I did not see any one else around who may have been farming.

In a game where the devs had to specifically change a game mechanic, to allow players to interact with objects during battle, to avoid other players stealing the rewards, I don't think the term poachers is inappropriate.
  • Options
    trevor#8542 trevor Member Posts: 119 Arc User

As currently designed, you have to kill dozens of regular mobs in order to spawn the "special" mob which has a very small probability
    of actually dropping a lure component. What I am seeing is that are very few hunters who actually participate in the clearing phase, but
    many are the first to jump in the moment one of the special mobs spawns.

It makes it very frustrating to put all that work in, to see someone else benefit from your work, with zero effort on their part. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people either standing off to the side watching you work until the mob spawns - or "cruisers" who cruise the zone looking
    at multiple areas of the map for the special mobs. Doubly frustrating to see someone else killing the special mob, and you can't
    get there in time.

My suggestion for the Devs:
    Provide a limited number of instanced hunt quests each week, with a special mob somewhere on the map, and a somewhat higher probability
    of dropping the component. It gives an alternative way of getting lure components that is poach free, and much less frustrating. It would also provide a secondary benefit of reducing the overall population in Omu, helping with lag.

As long as you get a hit on them you get the same chance for the drop if you killed it all by yourself so either you are trying to farm a bigger area then you can handle and what i mean by that is a area you cant get back to the first mob you killed by the time is spawns again. If you can then it still wouldnt be any different if you were killing them alone or with these so called poachers. it still sucks watching someone get something they didnt work for. and 1 thing you have to think about is people like to pop their mail box just to get someone going even tho they didnt get anything.
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User

In a game where the devs had to specifically change a game mechanic, to allow players to interact with objects during battle, to avoid other players stealing the rewards, I don't think the term poachers is inappropriate.

Not the same. Someone stealing your quest object while you are fighting on top of it is clearly poaching. The hunt is not a quest item (except for the weekly). Everyone has a right to it.
  • Options
    archangelzorak01archangelzorak01 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 324 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    All arguments over what is and isn't poaching, how the spawns do and don't work aside...

I think we can all agree this is a very imperfect system. The rate at which rare mobs spawn and the rate at which they drop their lure is so random and janky that we feel completely un-rewarded for our time spent. I know quite a few people who will spend numerous hours hunting only to come up empty while another few will go hunt for 30 minutes and walk away with multiple lures (not counting Rex Spines of course).

It feels similar to the lockboxes, where one person (myself) can open 1000 boxes in a row and not get a single admin message and another person can open 75 boxes and get 2 legendary drops. There are many other examples in this game where it really feels like certain players have much more pronounced luck, more +5 rings in less runs/hunts, more sellable loot from dungeons, more UEs from Tong, etc. We have guildies who have gone over 80 runs of Tong opening both chests without a single UEs while another will get a UEs every 3 or 4 runs.

Some of us that play less than we did a year ago have had a serious discussion that, if we actually felt rewarded for our time spent in the game we'd probably play as much as we used to, but we just don't feel rewarded. In fact, lately it seems like the more time we spend grinding away at the new systems in place the less we seem to get at the end of the day. Each new mod seems to have increased grind with reduced rewards.. and it makes us want to play less, not more.

My hunt group, 5 people. We farmed hunt mobs for 2 straight weeks collecting enough lures to do a combined 150+ tier 1 hunts, we then combined all drops and did all T2 hunts we could. Out of all that effort were didn't even come up with enough lure items to summon the Tyrant hunt, not even once. This is a truly dreadful system that punishes more than it rewards.

There needs to be some sort of change in the hunt system to make it feel more rewarding on a measurable level. A climbing chance drop-rate or a chance for the lure item to drop from placeholder mobs with a guaranteed (or drastically increased) chance from the rare spawn. I don't know what will work, but at the moment it feels pretty damn awful.
    Neverwinter Module 6: The only MMO expansion in the history of MMO's to remove more content than it added.

• Options
    > @anomalea said:
    > You're assuming that clear-cutting an area is the way to get rare spawns. What if there are only a specific number of spawns avalable per area/map? What if you have to kill a hunt mark somewhere in order to allow another to spawn. Maybe while you're sitting in you clear-cut, the only reason you get a rare spawn is because one of the "cruisers" hit a mark somewhere else, allowing yours to come in.
    >
    > Yours is only one way to farm. And it messes with other ways.

I already timed and mapped out rare spawns... they are far from random.... and if you clear and entire area in a sequence the rare monsters spawn accordingly...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Also it's not a matter of overextend selves.. it's just some people can one hit the boss and you don't get to do any damage. They could have chosen a different attack to let you get in on the hunt, but they don't care.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Also
    It's one drop per party ... so find a boss unary then kill it... party back up and camp farm zones.. can't lose... I already farmed everything
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    My record is 6 Hours yes 6 hours of farming in omu with 0 drops. Been thinking of making a video to show just how terible the drop rate is in this game from hunts
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• Options
    silmefeawensilmefeawen Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I simply consider this as a part of the game. I don't own the mobs I farm, so I also don't own the rare spawns. I have spents days hunting in Omu and not gotten anything at all from the rare spawns. What I do get is a ton of stuff to grind up for Rp, which is just fine by me. If the drop rate changes, the value of the trophy must also change as is evidenced by the value of Razortyrranus Rex Spines. I'm normally a person who loves to call for change to make games more equitable, but not in this instance.
  • Options
    silmefeawensilmefeawen Member Posts: 14 Arc User

Also it's not a matter of overextend selves.. it's just some people can one hit the boss and you don't get to do any damage. They could have chosen a different attack to let you get in on the hunt, but they don't care.

I would love to have this information because I am terrible at math, but if you make it public the values of the hunt trophies will plummet. Instead I will congratulate you on your cunning and intelligence.
  • Options
    oldtimer#7525 oldtimer Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    All rare hunt mobs need to spawn much more frequently and always drop a trophy just like Rex does. Only other acceptable option for me would be something like a 50% chance for a drop that increases by 25% for each failure so that you get at least one trophy for every 3 rares killed. Every person that hits the mob has a chance for drop just like Rex trophies.

Makes no sense that 3 Rex spawns can routinely spawn 2 or more rare versions at the same time and almost always give you a Rex within 3 to 4 kills while the 15 mob packs i'm farming for an hour only spawn 1 rare with a pathetic chance to drop a trophy for every 30 + packs killed.

When i first farmed bears for Kiuno i got 10 Rex spines from the single Rex path in river before i even saw a rare bear SPAWN let alone give me a trophy. Yesterday i farmed yuan ti and spiders for 2 hours with a ton of rare mobs killed and zero trophies until the last 10 minutes where i got 3 trophies from 5 whisperers. Only to then go for spines and see 2 Rex spawn simultaneously right next to each other. This kind of stuff is infuriating.

There is absolutely no reason for T1 hunts to be gated behind this multi layer RNG bullcrap and making T1 lures more obtainable won't completely crash T2 and T3 lure prices but will lower them to more attainable levels for the average player. They will still be pretty expensive but they shouldn't be as expensive as they are now. I'm saying this as someone who has only done 3 T2 hunts and gotten 2 T3 trophies while they are still 1 million + each and sell within seconds.