test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What's your favorite computer RPG series of all time?

aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Off Topic
Ok, here's a fun question for D&D and RPG fans amung us. Feel free to elaborate here which RPGs you enjoyed playing back in the day. icon_smile.gif

** In the above poll, I was of course refering to the Neverwinter Nights RPG series.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
Post edited by aandrethegiant on

Comments

• Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Wow....I've actually play all of these. Might and Magic was my favorite but then it got silly. Neverwinter Nights allowed everyone to create their own modules. Hopefully the Foundry will reach the same level as to what can be done.
    I must have played 10 million hours with each BG, playing every class combo and associates. :)
  • Options
    dandare#8529 dandare Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    BG was ultimate time-eater valwryn, since...I did the same. Also finding, solving, solving alter and redoing all quests possible. Heh, to think that now many 'newer' RPG can be run through and through in mere 60-100h. Laugh! Old ones were like alternate universe XD. Well that said: I still love new ones as well. And counting foundry: NWO is huge as well :). Though I count on more possibilities on Foundry ;)

I choose Baldurs Gate!

And only one I did not play was 'Eye of the Beholder' (was it good?)

Gaming since 3rd year of life ~Angry Neko Elf
    "You stand as inspiration. You are practically the Avatar of Buttkicking." -Quote towards Minsc
    "I choose You Jymaru!" ~for there are times when more than words need to do the talk
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    How about some mad props to Infocom's Zork? Technically a text based adventure, it opened the door to the entire fantasy RPG genre...

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Final Fantasy. Just because.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Fallout yo
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You said series, otherwise I would of advocated putting Planescape:Torment on the list. Hands down one of the best CRPGs of all time.

If I had to pick a series, It would be The Witcher. I know its still fairly modern, with part 3 still on the way. But I love the setting, the characters and story.
  • Options
    blushadoxblushadox Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Diablo, just to choose from the list. Fav RPG, gotta be Final Fantasy because of the world immersion.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I laughed so hard during 'after party' quest in Witcher II :D. Thanks for reminding me that sockmunkey :p
    "You stand as inspiration. You are practically the Avatar of Buttkicking." -Quote towards Minsc
    "I choose You Jymaru!" ~for there are times when more than words need to do the talk
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Evil meet my sword! Sword...meet...EEEVIIIIIL!!!!!!

Boo is getting ancy. If we be adventurers let us adventure.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I really liked the Quest for Glory series, though Planescape Torment is a very close second, (yeah I know Planescape was a 1-off).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited May 2014
  • Options
    klkcahboy90klkcahboy90 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Dark Souls - I admit that I had to check Youtube to understand its lore.

Fallout - I only played from 3 onwards though

DC Universe Online - I'm a huge Batman fan

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance - I played that on PS2 though. I remember I liked it.
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Mass Effect
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Aaaand BG in the lead. I'm happy to know I'm not alone ^_^
  • Options
    rishzothrishzoth Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Darklands (1992)

• Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Final Fantasy. Just because.
    First of all, I've played all the canon-games except FF1, 2 and 14, though I did play some spin-offs (Mystical Quest, some Crystal Chronicles etc.) I have Theatrythm Final Fantasy on my iPad, had it on 3DS before I got bored and needed money, and are counting the days to Theatrythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call. And princess Garnet is sitting in my window (literally, it's an action figure), so I guess you can say I'm a big fan of the series. That said, I don't consider them RPGs. I see them more as adventure-games with some RPG-elements. If we are to include them in the "proper" RPG-list, we also need to put MMORPGs, strategy-RPGs and so on there. That would quickly become a huge list. ;) So if we are to have a "proper" vote, we should first of all agree what kind of RPGs are "real" RPGs. Diablo is there on the list, but no Sacred? No Adventures of Van Helsing? No Torchlight?

Aaaanyway, sorry about that. My favorite series is Sacred, as they both did some spectacular in their own way. Sacred 1 gave us different starting areas based on class, and had an awesome vampire/knight mechanic for the, uh, vampire. Sacred 2 had: "This is not a drill. This is the Apocalypse. Please remain calm and exit the building. Thank you." :D
  • Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would say Zork started it all for me, but my favorite will always be the Gold Box series. Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights are close for me and have MUCH better graphics, but Pools of Radiance, et al., were the closest to the pen and paper.

Bard's Tale and Might and Magic, much like Wizardry, were interesting in the beginning. As more and more sequels came out though, it began to feel more and more like the same thing with different trim.

Ultima series, well they are a love it or hate it game.

Diablo 1 and 2 were fairly good, but it is less CRPG and more ARPG in isometric. Diablo 3 looks nice, but it is a travesty in my opinion.

The Eye of the Beholder, again, was another one that was okay. I never really liked it and well... The Knights of Myth Drannor... bigest Gary Stu/Mary Sue group I ever met.

Elder Scrolls, these are truly excellent games. Deep lore and infinitely modable. Just like everything Bethesda does though, they are full of bugs. The communities that support this game work to resolve these things and produce some amazing content. This does not include Elder Scrolls Online though, this was a major disappointment for me.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    teweeesateweeesa Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The Divinity series. I can still spend hours on end playing Divine Divinity. The games are just so daggy, but still really fun to play.

And of course, Final Fantasy. A forever love.
  • Options
    classylionclassylion Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Who else is finding Dark Souls 2 hard at some points?
    Always keep it Classy

Classy Hyena: HR
    Classy Mistress: GWF
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've actually played all of these.

SSI Gold Box (Pool of Radiance, etc)
    These were great games back in the day... very very hard to beat as they required a lot of tactics and you were generally at a disadvantage in them. I played all of them. Pool of Radiance was only one of them. The sequels were Curse of Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, and Pools of Darkness. I also played the Savage Frontier series and the Dragonlance Series. There were a lot of these all of them very similar.

Bard's Tale
    Another great game. I liked it but most of my friends liked it even more. This one had a totally different feel to it. This is another one that could occupy you for hours.

Might & Magic
    Seemed cool enough but for some reason I never liked this series. Never got into it.

Eye of the Beholder
    Another one with a cool concept and pretty well designed but I just never got into it.

Baldur's Gate
    This entire Infinity Engine series was HUGE. Not just Baldurs Gate, but BG2, IWD series, Planescape and a host of others that are still looked back on today as exciting. Especially BG2 that innovated the word Epic Adventure and NPC interaction. This one nailed everything and was a virtual smorgasbord of RPG goodness. IWD may have been primarily a Hack and Slash with a story... but this one was dead on as far as the Feel of D&D and old style dungeon crawling... Black Isle/Obsidian nailed it on this one too. Not only was it classic dungeon crawling, but also an enormous epic and involving story with in depth history. These ones... were just as much trend setters as the original Gold Box games.

Ultima
    Cool concept, and good game, but I never really liked this series much.

Diablo
    Again not a bad concept, but this series, was kinda like junk food. Fun for a quick arcade style fest but not truly fulfilling.

Elder Scrolls
    Very good concepts in this one. Honestly Daggerfall sucked me in for months on end. I didn't like the sequel as much but it was still good. The third also very good. This one was spectacular all in its own way, just because it was so versatile. I truly enjoyed these too.

Neverwinter Nights
    This one wasn't really about the campaigns, although the later campaigns in the original got better and better. Didn't like the first one, but the second two were great. The real thing about the original was the toolset which sprung out large strings of really good modules. NWN2 ALL the campaigns were good, and well designed, better than even NWN1... but.... The toolset took a LOT more skill to use, but what you designed with it was so much more incredible than NWN1. But the entry curve was much higher to learn, too high for some.

Those are my views on the games and titles mentioned.
  • Options
    doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    crazymikee wrote: »
    Fallout yo

Yep agree, but was not on the list to vote, had it been i'd voted fallout as it is by far my favorite, I logged over 260 hours playing New Vegas and I don't remember how much I did on Fallout 3 but it was probably about the same.

Fallout 2 has kept me busy quite often as well.
  • Options
    innerworldinnerworld Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    world of warcraft during tbc/wotlk, ah, those were the good days
    Also of course, bioshock 1, 2, and infinite,
    along with morrowind, and skyrim, didn't like oblivion though
    every fallout game back to the 2nd on the original xbox

so, i have more than 1 favorite i suppose, lol
  • Options
    ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Just have to go with the NeverWinter Nights series. Had all 3 sets for NWN1&2, and played the all through at least twice. Just had to try different class and race combos. But as others stated, it was the toolsets that realy set this series apart. And the online player created and hosted Modules were where this series realy shined.
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Fallout. 10 char 10 char...
  • Options
    gertrude4lifegertrude4life Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've played all of them, but I'd still have to go with The Witcher and KoTOR.

... Although the 6 months it took me to complete my first play through of Morrowind is still my personal record. (continuous play)
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Champions: Of Norrath

Champions: Return to arms

These are definitely my favourites.

• Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Never forget King's Quest....
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Final Fantasy was awesome
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I adore the single player Elder scrolls games , the mmo version is mehworthy at the moment , at least for a sub based game although the pvp is standout in ESO , still I prefer single player elder scrolls.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif