test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Death by Dino and undead

lythaguslythagus Member Posts: 13 Arc User
Frist I'd like to say, WOW. Beautifully done on the new Mod. It is visually stunning and quite the challange so far but, It appears to be a meat grinder. As a Lvl 70 SW with pretty good stats and armor, it is a bit difficult to survive almost any encounter while going solo...one hit and to the campfire we go. I love a challage but, Damn. So, is it just me?

Comments

• Options
    majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    Nope. Its a challenge to be sure, but I've been on my devo OP w/my prot loadout swapped in on occasion for extra survivability. They quite clearly stated that anyone under 12K might want to team up before venturing in. Still, solo or teamed it can be tricky at times to avoid being a dino's lunch but new zone is beautiful and has been loads of fun so far. The worst however (short of those damn T-Rex) has been the Yuan-ti. Once the Dancer hits me with that charm (while I have sanctuary up, I might add) I'm like Mowgli from Jungle book while Kaa and his boys rip me a new one. So enjoy the new mod and bring a friend.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options

Nope. Its a challenge to be sure, but I've been on my devo OP w/my prot loadout swapped in on occasion for extra survivability. They quite clearly stated that anyone under 12K might want to team up before venturing in. Still, solo or teamed it can be tricky at times to avoid being a dino's lunch but new zone is beautiful and has been loads of fun so far. The worst however (short of those damn T-Rex) has been the Yuan-ti. Once the Dancer hits me with that charm (while I have sanctuary up, I might add) I'm like Mowgli from Jungle book while Kaa and his boys rip me a new one. So enjoy the new mod and bring a friend.

Yep, 12.5 IL/9k Def/6k Deflect with a soulpuppet and maxed defended...still dead, brought a Meat shield friend (GWF)...still dead.

• Options
    toxaisrtoxaisr Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    lol guys idk what are you talking about. no troubles for me in new zone soloed all quests DO DC 11.8k
  • Options
    clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    I have zero problems with my DC here. For my TR, the correct timing of stealth and smoke bomb are my best friends. With my HR this is much more challenging, and I am guessing the squishy SW might also say so.

Traveling from point A to point B does a require a bit more thought than the other zones in the game, going in a straight line is clearly not optimal, unless you like being knocked off ones mount a lot, Barkshield does help in that department though.

Another thing with this zone is how much closer the different enemy mobs are grouped with each other in some places, it makes maneuvering much trickier.
  • Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    12.1k Temptation Hellbringer SW here. Absolutely no problem in soloing the content, a bit slower than my 14,7k HR obviously ,but much, much safer. I can tank and kill everything without issues except the King of Spines, but I guess that's tank's territory.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Only the lag-o-saurus has killed me so far.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    i'm not 12k yet. and my gear is suboptimal still. but i'm getting wrecked. I can get it done solo but it's not a fast process. I bought one of those rings today that lets you go invis after running for a few seconds. hoping that will help a bit lol. I'm running like 8 other campaigns though so this is coming absolute last for me atm. by the time I get a few more campaigns finished off maybe I'll be a little tougher.
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    lythagus said:

Frist I'd like to say, WOW. Beautifully done on the new Mod. It is visually stunning and quite the challange so far but, It appears to be a meat grinder. As a Lvl 70 SW with pretty good stats and armor, it is a bit difficult to survive almost any encounter while going solo...one hit and to the campfire we go. I love a challage but, Damn. So, is it just me?

To get this a bit more constructive than "loud-mouthed" or simply arrogant, my advice is to spend some points into defense. I died several times running my dps setup IL 14.5k.
    Now I run my PVP setup + SH-DR boon and I dy to near nothing, Psions Shroud would help also, LS should be 20%+
    I guess it is enough to spec all those defensive boons and maybe soul reaping on top, maybe Dark Revelry instead of Power of the Nine esp. if you need Lifesteal, no need to waste 5/5 into shadow fold like my PVPbuild got.
    I run PoP+Firy ball + Arms of Hadar, ACC+NPNM, Accoursed souls and Flames of Phelgethos.
    Post edited by schietindebux on
  • Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User

lythagus said:

To get this a bit more constructive than "loud-mouthed" or simply arrogant, my advice is to spend some points into defense. I died several times running my dps setup IL 14.5k.
    Now I run my PVP setup + DR boon and I dy to near nothing, Psions Shroud would help also, LS should be 20%+
    I guess it is enough to spec all those defensive boons and maybe soul reaping on top, maybe Dark Revelry instead of Power of the Nine esp. if you need Lifesteal.
    Yup. Glass cannon builds will have issues. On my 12.1k Temptlock I have Psion's Shroud and the Valhalla set and went below 1/2 of my HP only when I lagged and was bull-rushed twice in a row by a Tyrannosaur while being attacked by Compys at the same time.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    cforest#0755 cforest Member Posts: 61 Arc User

i'm not 12k yet. and my gear is suboptimal still. but i'm getting wrecked. I can get it done solo but it's not a fast process. I bought one of those rings today that lets you go invis after running for a few seconds.

The Ring of Ambush definitely protects against dino ambushes. The frost enchant on my scrubby alt is also making things a bit smoother I'm finding.
  • Options
    pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    A Ring of Ambush is a good idea!

My first trip through the jungle ended with me getting 1-shotted by a T-Rex, right through my Soulforged! It's been a while since anything like that happened. I think I'm gonna like this mod!
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    pterias said:

A Ring of Ambush is a good idea!

My first trip through the jungle ended with me getting 1-shotted by a T-Rex, right through my Soulforged! It's been a while since anything like that happened. I think I'm gonna like this mod!

If you run from the T Rex without having him occupied by smaller dinos or mobs, he'll come after you hard and has a powerful piercing attack he reserves for retreating targets.

FWIW, I've brought 3 characters through the new zone and in my opinion it's an awesome experience to partner up (or even run with a full group) for the intro quest-lines and even the various weekly quests. The only annoyance is that the relic-related quests roll a random ruin to explore per player, but apart from that the quests are nice and rolling with a group really speeds things along (and helps prevent ambush-dino-death)

Having a partner or two also makes dealing with T Rexes a lot easier, since the best strategy appears to be flanking them closely around their legs.

I've also made some friends this way by advertising for anyone else who wanted to come along :)
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    Aggro zones seem to be the entire map. So if you move, everything comes at you.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Aggro zones seem to be the entire map. So if you move, everything comes at you.

Yeah this is something that feels really weird and very very annoying. Getting jumped every 5 seconds while trying to get from point A to B is super annoying.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    I am a 13k tr... I can solo most of teme content. 98k hp. 22% life steal. 14000 mobility(yes I outrun everything)

The ambush ring doesn't work against some monsters here.

Itc doesn't save you from snake charms
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    No real issues on my 13.4k DO/Righteous DC. Yes, if I over-agro I have issues, especially when dealing with the Yuan-Tis. And yes it is better to stay and fight then try to run, that gets me killed sometimes too.
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    I find it refreshing that I cannot just throw down a blanket...have a picnic...chat with peeps...and do a juggle emote while being within 10 feet of ferocious toon-eating dinos.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    I'm having no issues on my DC either (12k+ w/ 2 rank 12 bondings and 1 rank 11). I've even survived stumbling into a couple of packs of mobs while my pet was fallen in the river.

I am very cautious in how I move around. There are chokepoints, but in most places you can move to one side of the path or the other to avoid each mob pack, once you get used to it. Only the dinos appear to have the enhanced aggro radius, though batiri will chase for a long time.

If dinos are likely to catch up to me because I couldn't avoid them, I dismount and go into a dodge immediately, rather than get proned off my mount.

My husband gets his butt kicked without me, but he's colour blind and all the mobs here are basically invisible to him until they attack.

I think the best advice possible is to take the time if you haven't yet to detour into SoMI and get your starter boat if nothing else, or work your way to the 80% speed one if you can handle it. Using the river for transport instead of stumbling around in the jungle saves tons of time.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Damn Becky...great idea for saving time...use the river...ty! I have just been bumbling around the jungle all this time...lol.
    Post edited by niadan on
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    niadan said:

Damn Becky...great idea for saving time...use the river...ty! I have just been bumbling around the jungle all this time...lol.

I've gotten the impression it's seriously underused so far. I see people fishing but almost nobody zipping around. My main complaint with it is there are invisible walls in a lot of places that prevent jumping off the banks just anywhere. But there are lots of places you can, and off any bridge. You do have to adjust for not always being able to get out of the river on the side you want, so you need to use both boats and bridges for shortcutting.

If a dino follows you right into the water, you'll probably die of piranhas, but it's slightly more forgiving than the hypothermia mechanic in SoMI.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I have used the river some and apart from difficulties getting off the boat (imagine Apocalypse Now macro here) it works well.

As for the aggro issue, I made a Barkshield just for the Surprise Attack gimmick and it works well. I get rubberbanded back and ths dinos try to hit me but I dont faceplant. A few times the attack repeated. I learned that if it happens twice to just dismount amd fight. The pack dinos are mostly a jole for my CW (14k) and DC (13.8k) as long as it is just them. One of the areas to be concentrated has a pack nearby and having the dinos bounce on top of me while trying to fight the undead did me in. Too many knocks to deal with.

It seems like clearing the perimeter before going in is the way to go.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    IMO, there are to many trash mobs with a to big aggro range. Furthermore my companion seems to think, that I dont kill enough mobs. He pulls everything visible on the map.

Now, I play on a 16k+ CW with legendary mount, so I can skip some mobs and I swapped to pulling everything visible and killing them in one go. It is still annoying. I used to get an exp reward once a week, now every other day.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options

No real issues on my 13.4k DO/Righteous DC. Yes, if I over-agro I have issues, especially when dealing with the Yuan-Tis. And yes it is better to stay and fight then try to run, that gets me killed sometimes too.

Hmmmm, I see a trend here. To survive you need to be DC or DO...and since I won't change to a whole new toon, this place sucks!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    My philosophy is that if the mobs have a death wish...knock me off my mount. I will even turn around and wipe a random group out just for daring to scratch me. Makes running through the jungle a little more fun. And no, you do not need a DC to survive Chult. More HP/LS...maybe.
  • Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    I got an ambush plus four in demo. tried it. seems like it cuts down on about 50-75 percent of the ambushes you normally get riding thru the jungle. I tend to get stopped once on a ride with it on without it seems like i get stopped more often.