test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

/friend chat

manipulosmanipulos Member Posts: 235 Arc User
A /friend chat to send a message to everyone on your friends list?

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    That this sounds like it would be useful for player who only view their friends list as a shortlist of people to fill a party with, and utterly useless for people whose friends list consists of people they might actually consider their friends.

How many things are there that you legitimately need to say to everyone you know at once?
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User

That this sounds like it would be useful for player who only view their friends list as a shortlist of people to fill a party with, and utterly useless for people whose friends list consists of people they might actually consider their friends.

How many things are there that you legitimately need to say to everyone you know at once?

One sentence, "I quit". :)
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    You can create your own custom channel "Friends_of_Manipulos" and invite your friends to it. I actually had a couple friends do something akin to that.

The reality in my case is that the channels suffered a brief bright spot and then quickly died out as people reverted to their old habits for forming groups. The channels were no better than various zerg or pvp/pve channels, except had lower membership.

The other thing that I would say is that if people could more easily spam me with requests for groups from my friends list, I would probably have fewer people on that list. If you reach out to me specifically, that's cool. If your FL is just another channel for group building, that's not so cool in my opinion.
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    dupeks said:

You can create your own custom channel "Friends_of_Manipulos" and invite your friends to it. I actually had a couple friends do something akin to that.

The reality in my case is that the channels suffered a brief bright spot and then quickly died out as people reverted to their old habits for forming groups. The channels were no better than various zerg or pvp/pve channels, except had lower membership.

The other thing that I would say is that if people could more easily spam me with requests for groups from my friends list, I would probably have fewer people on that list. If you reach out to me specifically, that's cool. If your FL is just another channel for group building, that's not so cool in my opinion.

I have done just that (more or less), but groups? pfff
    I needed a better way to spread my awesome youtube links, funny pictures and other stuff, and no cats, because cats are evil (and well, it was indeed tough times for a poor TR, funds had to be obtained, favors traded, dungeons carried)

Now few years later we are a happy group of influence farmers ! I mean friends ! Friends I've said.
    And still use the channel.

(At least I'm happy, and their whining about slaving for 28/7 is irrelevant)
  • Options
    manipulosmanipulos Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    I don't know how this sounds but I actually don't use my friends list much...but it's really because I don't want to spam people with my logging in and out more than anything else.

Last night some people in Teamspeak were talking about this so I thought I would post it here for a fun discussion. It does sound awkward now that I think twice about it.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    manipulos said:

I don't know how this sounds but I actually don't use my friends list much...but it's really because I don't want to spam people with my logging in and out more than anything else.

Last night some people in Teamspeak were talking about this so I thought I would post it here for a fun discussion. It does sound awkward now that I think twice about it.

Yeah, It's a nice idea, but the problem is that friends lists do not match, so you can't speak in it like in a channel. So it's an announcement like system without one person knows what the other responded, and that makes it less practical for any meaningful conversation except "lfg..."

What will be really nice to see, is XMPP support. For those that do not know, the game supports external connection from messenger programs to chat with custom channels, guilds, and friends list. They only need to enable the authorization. Unfortunately they don't do it.
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    micky1p00 said:

dupeks said:

I needed a better way to spread my awesome youtube links, funny pictures and other stuff, and no cats, because cats are evil (and well, it was indeed tough times for a poor TR, funds had to be obtained, favors traded, dungeons carried)

Now few years later we are a happy group of influence farmers ! I mean friends ! Friends I've said.

How many of those friends were imaginary?

That's great though. I have a couple "social" channels that I'm part of that are more or less groups of friends. I like those channels a lot :)
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    dupeks said:

micky1p00 said:

dupeks said:

How many of those friends were imaginary?
    A lot! And I'm not responsible for anything they tell me to do!
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Unless you look good doing so...then it is all your fault...or so I am told!