We’re making some changes to Armor Pen with the Chult release (see https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1231982/official-feedback-thread-m12-armor-pen-and-damage-vulnerability-debuff-changes
). I wanted to talk about the PvP implications separately.
In PvP, there are two significant changes riding along with the Armor Pen changes, and also some implications for where PvP is headed that I’d love feedback on.
What’s happening right now:
1) A fix to a bug where you could penetrate more Armor than another player had, and thus do bonus damage to them (more than 100%). This bug only happened in PvP.
2) The PvP-only stat of Armor Pen Resist has been removed.
I know #2 might seem a bit of a shock at first, so let me explain. There are three main reasons for getting rid of it:
* With the bug fixed, AP is much less powerful. So it makes sense to reduce AP Resist to counteract that. What should AP Resist be lowered to? The simplest value, and thus the one to try first, is zero.
* Long run, we’d like to get rid of the Tenacity system. Getting rid of AP Resist is a first step, and now is a good time.
* It’s kind of a stupid stat. The Defense stat (armor) is damage resist. Armor penetration is damage resist resist. So AP Resist is really damage resist resist resist. It’s just not right.
What will the net effect of these changes be? Well, AP will be worse against weakly armored targets (no overpenetration ). It might be better against heavily armored targets. But if lightly armored characters now survive better in PvP, and heavily armored ones are a bit less tough, that’s probably a good thing for PvP overall.
What about Tenacity? Lots of players have been complaining about it, and (I feel) with good reason. It definitely creates barriers to entry in PvP. As people stack more and more of it, it’s hard to maintain the right combat pacing (in terms of how long it takes to defeat someone). We’d like to replace the Tenacity system with a global buff that players get in PvP, but not based on gear -- everyone in PvP would just flat-out get (say) 40% Damage Resistance, 40% Critical Strike Resistance, and 40% Control Resistance. Those numbers, though, are just based on what Tenacity gives right now to an average well-geared player in PvP. Should they be higher? Lower? Some higher and some lower? I’d love some feedback from the PvP community on this topic.
Of course, if we remove Tenacity, the gear that had it will get stats to make up for it. The goal would be that it’s gear that is of an appropriate power level for its item level.
How You Can Help
Don’t forget that with the new PvP Private Queues, it’s much easier to test PvP now! Here are some things to look for:
* There should no longer be “bonus damage” (damage past 100%) coming from Armor Pen.
* How is Armor Pen looking in PvP? The fixes won’t be enough to put tanks and dps classes in perfect PvP balance, but do they at least move things in the right direction rather than the wrong direction?
* How do people feel about removing Tenacity entirely? What do people feel about the proposed numbers for the global PvP buff?
I know that these changes just scratch the surface of what’s needed in PvP. I’m happy to hear further suggestions (I’ve been looking at some of the other PvP suggestion threads), but definitely in this thread give me feedback on the things mentioned above -- they’re the things that we can bugfix and tweak for the upcoming Chult release!