test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Smolder +Rimefire not stacking now?

masterogamasteroga Member Posts: 474 Arc User
edited January 2017 in The Library
I'm on Xbox, and it appears you can no longer stack smolder and Rimefire at the same time since SoMI came out. There was nothing in patch notes about this.....is it this way on PC and PS4?

Comments

• Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    It was a ninja change that prevents most methods, however, you can still stack smoulder+rimefire. This is how you do it:

1) Slot a Daily Power and Combustive Action.

2) Cast a Daily that does NOT apply chill. (I prefer OF)

3) Cast a power that does not apply chill.

4) Apply Chill.

I prefer OF -> FtF -> Conduit of Ice (on mastery).
  • Options
    masterogamasteroga Member Posts: 474 Arc User
    Yup, that works. However, it's forcing you into combustive action + swath now if you want the 2x swath debuff. So now no option of chilling pres for more damage + 10% crit in renegade. Also forcing out ice knife on bosses. And if you WERE to use CP + CA, it would force a FAR less than optimal rotation.

So at first glance without any testing....it looks like trying to stack smolder and Rimefire is just not worth it now unless you are content with doing no damage...or am I missing something?
  • Options
    Pretty much. It is the route I go however as it is pretty much the easiest way to cap debuffs in a 5 man group.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User

It was a ninja change that prevents most methods, however, you can still stack smoulder+rimefire. This is how you do it:

4) Apply Chill.

FtF TAB > IT doesn't work? You need some serious AP gain to keep up dailies and smolder from mob to mob for that.
  • Options
    vincentr6669vincentr6669 Member Posts: 235 Arc User

For those who have Icy Veins does this mean someone can't cast an encounter after casting the daily?

I mean, someone can, but he/she should do it at a certain distance from monsters which is something unusual since almost everybody got used to CW being a close-range caster.
  • Options
    ghoulz66 said:

4) Apply Chill.

FtF TAB > IT doesn't work? You need some serious AP gain to keep up dailies and smolder from mob to mob for that.
    Nope, it does not work.

For those who have Icy Veins does this mean someone can't cast an encounter after casting the daily?

I mean, someone can, but he/she should do it at a certain distance from monsters which is something unusual since almost everybody got used to CW being a close-range caster.
    If you have icy veins, glhf stacking smoulder, since if you are even remotely close when you use an encounter at any stage, it will overwrite your stacked smoulder.
  • Options
    tenetombtenetomb Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    @thefabricant I just tested yesterday and saw some strange things with rimefire + smolder.

First of all, I didn't needed to cast a spell between the daily and CoI. Just playing one after the other applied both rimefire and smolder.

Then I tested some spells to see which ones worked :
    - CS completely works but as it doesn't refresh rimefire, buff is not 100% uptime.
    - CoI works like a charm but refreshes rimefire for so long that if you want to reapply rimefire + smolder you have to wait till the end of the spell to play your daily again (since I noticed that if you cast your daily when rimefire is refreshed, you don't apply smolder).
    - IT works sometimes. I don't even know why but I would say it's more or less a 50/50. Half the time I saw smolder + rimefire and half the time rimefire just eaten smolder.

Any thoughts on this?
    Is there any way to apply smolder + rimefire 100% of the time?
  • Options
    tenetomb said:

@thefabricant I just tested yesterday and saw some strange things with rimefire + smolder.

First of all, I didn't needed to cast a spell between the daily and CoI. Just playing one after the other applied both rimefire and smolder.

Then I tested some spells to see which ones worked :

- CS completely works but as it doesn't refresh rimefire, buff is not 100% uptime.

- CoI works like a charm but refreshes rimefire for so long that if you want to reapply rimefire + smolder you have to wait till the end of the spell to play your daily again (since I noticed that if you cast your daily when rimefire is refreshed, you don't apply smolder).

- IT works sometimes. I don't even know why but I would say it's more or less a 50/50. Half the time I saw smolder + rimefire and half the time rimefire just eaten smolder.

Any thoughts on this?

Is there any way to apply smolder + rimefire 100% of the time?

Just refresh using scorching burst.
  • Options
    Sometimes you just don't see the obvious...
    Thank you anyway, it works ! :D
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
  • Options

What are the benefits stack smolder and rimefire?

Applying Swath of destruction's debuff twice.
  • Options
    tenetomb said:

What are the benefits stack smolder and rimefire?

Applying Swath of destruction's debuff twice.
    thanks.
  • Options

If you have icy veins, glhf stacking smoulder, since if you are even remotely close when you use an encounter at any stage, it will overwrite your stacked smoulder.

I was planning to respec/retraining (and race reroll) my CW into this exactly build mmominds.com/2016/10/14/pure-support-cw-mod-10-buffdebuff/, but now with the information that Icy Veins makes almost impossible to stack Smolder and Rimefire plus the information that Lightning Enchant is gonna be uptaded i have some questions:

1)Will Lightning still multi-proc Abyss of Chaos, Darkfire (Drow Racial) and Life Steal after mod 11? I've searched for some answers on a thread of the preview server, but the devs talked mostly about Frost and Plaguefire. The only thing i know is that they were trying to fix a thing in which Lightning was considered a separate entity (such as Icy Terrain). If anyone knows how the new Lightning is gonna interact with those i'll greatly appreciate.

2)I saw you saying in another thread that you are running Renegade + Spell Twisting. Doesn't the absence of Bitter Cold (for the debuff cap) and the absence of Twisting Immolation (for extending Combustive Action debuff) have a negative impact on the build? Or is it irrelevant because your party help to reach 200% effectiveness and your Action Point Gain is high enough to spam Oppresive Force making you need neither of those?

3)I got inspired by a post from @oria1 saying he reached 349% effectiveness on Syndryth all by his own (no other debuffer). However that is mostly a single target fight (no one cares about the adds she spawns) which means it's possible to stack Mastery RoE reliably. Do you have any tips on how to achieve great effectiveness (doesn't need to be 349% lol, 200% for the cap is good enough) when fighting against mobs? By my calculations i get 174% (100% base value + 24% Combustive Action + 40% Swath of Destruction x2 + 5% Bitter Cold + 5% Darkfire). For artifact and companion i thought of Con Artist and Heart of the Black Dragon which are uncapped (that's why i didn't put them into the 200% calcs). I am considering a Resistance Ignored of 60%. Also even if Darkfire multi-procs from Lightning i still can't get 200%, then how can i solely reach the cap during AoE fights? Or maybe i shouldn't focus on reaching the cap when beating trash because they die too quickly anyway?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    THIS bug whatever call it personal its just for the visuals . 44% is pretty alone to do some basic dr debuff in most cases the other classes in the party will add the rest 66% so the impressive extra 20% where will go?
    AND the other thing you cant control it at all or you will have to exclude large number of control wizards from running with you.
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited February 2017

I was planning to respec/retraining (and race reroll) my CW into this exactly build mmominds.com/2016/10/14/pure-support-cw-mod-10-buffdebuff/, but now with the information that Icy Veins makes almost impossible to stack Smolder and Rimefire plus the information that Lightning Enchant is gonna be uptaded i have some questions:

1)Will Lightning still multi-proc Abyss of Chaos, Darkfire (Drow Racial) and Life Steal after mod 11? I've searched for some answers on a thread of the preview server, but the devs talked mostly about Frost and Plaguefire. The only thing i know is that they were trying to fix a thing in which Lightning was considered a separate entity (such as Icy Terrain). If anyone knows how the new Lightning is gonna interact with those i'll greatly appreciate.

2)I saw you saying in another thread that you are running Renegade + Spell Twisting. Doesn't the absence of Bitter Cold (for the debuff cap) and the absence of Twisting Immolation (for extending Combustive Action debuff) have a negative impact on the build? Or is it irrelevant because your party help to reach 200% effectiveness and your Action Point Gain is high enough to spam Oppresive Force making you need neither of those?

3)I got inspired by a post from [Vodoo] saying he reached 349% effectiveness on Syndryth all by his own (no other debuffer). However that is mostly a single target fight (no one cares about the adds she spawns) which means it's possible to stack Mastery RoE reliably. Do you have any tips on how to achieve great effectiveness (doesn't need to be 349% lol, 200% for the cap is good enough) when fighting against mobs? By my calculations i get 174% (100% base value + 24% Combustive Action + 40% Swath of Destruction x2 + 5% Bitter Cold + 5% Darkfire). For artifact and companion i thought of Con Artist and Heart of the Black Dragon which are uncapped (that's why i didn't put them into the 200% calcs). I am considering a Resistance Ignored of 60%. Also even if Darkfire multi-procs from Lightning i still can't get 200%, then how can i solely reach the cap during AoE fights? Or maybe i shouldn't focus on reaching the cap when beating trash because they die too quickly anyway?

Voodoo runs a Dancing Shield, last I saw his build ingame.

And btw, Oppressor MoF isn't totally horribad for a buffing build, since Controlled Momentum is a nice stable buff compared to, say, Chaos Magic. I know the Chaos Magic gives 30%, which rekts Momentum, but I'd rather trigger a buff with a more "controllable" uptime than one that's luckbased (and don't we all love the RNG Goddess atm? \sarcasm).

• Options
    edited February 2017

THIS bug whatever call it personal its just for the visuals . 44% is pretty alone to do some basic dr debuff in most cases the other classes in the party will add the rest 66% so the impressive extra 20% where will go?
    AND the other thing you cant control it at all or you will have to exclude large number of control wizards from running with you.

It is really easy to control actually. Oppressive Force -> Some non Cold Ability -> CoI and you have both rimefire and smoulder. Then just need to babysit with scorching burst. Other CWs can be a pain but it depends, if you go through your rotation quickly and you manage to apply both rimefire+smoulder before they apply chill, you can then sustain both. Unfortunately, in a party with any good CW that won't happen.

3)I got inspired by a post from @oria1 saying he reached 349% effectiveness on Syndryth all by his own (no other debuffer). However that is mostly a single target fight (no one cares about the adds she spawns) which means it's possible to stack Mastery RoE reliably. Do you have any tips on how to achieve great effectiveness (doesn't need to be 349% lol, 200% for the cap is good enough) when fighting against mobs? By my calculations i get 174% (100% base value + 24% Combustive Action + 40% Swath of Destruction x2 + 5% Bitter Cold + 5% Darkfire). For artifact and companion i thought of Con Artist and Heart of the Black Dragon which are uncapped (that's why i didn't put them into the 200% calcs). I am considering a Resistance Ignored of 60%. Also even if Darkfire multi-procs from Lightning i still can't get 200%, then how can i solely reach the cap during AoE fights? Or maybe i shouldn't focus on reaching the cap when beating trash because they die too quickly anyway?
    No real need for the feat for combustive since Oppressive Force increases the duration of the debuff by 5 seconds since it refreshes combustive on each tick.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User

It is really easy to control actually. Oppressive Force -> Some non Cold Ability -> CoI and you have both rimefire and smoulder. Then just need to babysit with scorching burst. Other CWs can be a pain but it depends, if you go through your rotation quickly and you manage to apply both rimefire+smoulder before they apply chill, you can then sustain both. Unfortunately, in a party with any good CW that won't happen.

No real need for the feat for combustive since Oppressive Force increases the duration of the debuff by 5 seconds since it refreshes combustive on each tick.

I always wonder if it was vital to get that feat, but pretty much impossible for renegade. Losing spell twisting hurts really bad for trying to use fanning the flame as often as possible.

How long does the buff actually last?
  • Options
    rjc9000 said:

3)I got inspired by a post from [Vodoo] saying he reached 349% effectiveness on Syndryth all by his own (no other debuffer). However that is mostly a single target fight (no one cares about the adds she spawns) which means it's possible to stack Mastery RoE reliably. Do you have any tips on how to achieve great effectiveness (doesn't need to be 349% lol, 200% for the cap is good enough) when fighting against mobs? By my calculations i get 174% (100% base value + 24% Combustive Action + 40% Swath of Destruction x2 + 5% Bitter Cold + 5% Darkfire). For artifact and companion i thought of Con Artist and Heart of the Black Dragon which are uncapped (that's why i didn't put them into the 200% calcs). I am considering a Resistance Ignored of 60%. Also even if Darkfire multi-procs from Lightning i still can't get 200%, then how can i solely reach the cap during AoE fights? Or maybe i shouldn't focus on reaching the cap when beating trash because they die too quickly anyway?

And btw, Oppressor MoF isn't totally horribad for a buffing build, since Controlled Momentum is a nice stable buff compared to, say, Chaos Magic. I know the Chaos Magic gives 30%, which rekts Momentum, but I'd rather trigger a buff with a more "controllable" uptime than one that's luckbased (and don't we all love the RNG Goddess atm? \sarcasm).
    They are random buffs but all are incredible. 30% damage buff and 10% ls. 30% critical and armor penetration( this one it will get fix to give the penetration) and growth is not bad to have some heal. AND renegade has and other buffs than the random capstone.

AS for the opressor yes is good that permanent 5% buff and our opressors in guild have a spot in the party even if they are less effective than a renegade they still give something.
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    Do the CW debuffs really make a difference in dungeons? Does your debuffing enemies outweigh the damage loss you take by going the debuffing route?

Say if you go full on CW DPS and over a run you average 10-15 million more in damage than you do with a buffing/debuffing build.

Does the debuffing/buffing build provide the group 10-15 million in damage?

I'm curious if any CW tested this theory out and verified if buffing/debuffing as a CW is worth it.
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Fast efficient dungeon runs are made up of team builds not individual builds. Thus if you have a group that you regularly play with, maximizing team buffing/debuffing could be much better than straight dps. Depends on the team and what is needed.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I'm answering almost 2 months later lol
    rjc9000 said:

I wasn't counting Dancing Shield because i was only counting capped debuffs and AoE debuffs. The reason i wasn't counting uncapped (such as Dancing Shield) was because i wanted to reach the 200% cap all by myself so my teammates could focus on DPS and buffs and uncapped debuffs. The reason i wasn't counting single target debuffs (such as Ray of Enfeblement) was because i already knew how to reach the cap all by myself against single target, instead i wanted to reach the cap against multiple targets by using Area Spells, but then i realized two things:

1)Your answer on another thread (the bolded part)
    rjc9000 said:

It is totally possible to reach the debuff cap with no MoFs (ex: 3x OP Bane, 1x Thorn Ward, 5x unbugged Condeming Gaze, 1x Bear your Sins , 1x normal DG, 1x mark). You could make the argument that MoFs spread debuffs much easier/more reliable than other classes, but most mobs in most dungeons die so quick that reaching the debuff cap on mobs will only cause the mobs to melt a second or so faster.

Once your team hits the cap, you want to spam your defense debuffs (1x Dancing Shield + sword trio + Black Dragon Heart + Frost/Plaguefire spam) so you can have ridiculous debuff multipliers. And of course, we can't forget spamming buffs like ITF, CS, Longstrider's, duckonaplate, or EmpBtS.

and

2)Why would i want to reach the cap all by myself? It's not like i would replace the DC role on a party making space for an extra DPS class, the party still needs a spot filled by a DC for buffs might as well need for debuffs too. While alone i couldn't reach the debuff cap on mobs even with "Double Swath of Destruction", with a DC i can even without it, just see:

MoF with double SoD (no DC)

Base Damage 100% + Combustive Action 24% + Swath of Destruction x2 40% + Bitter Cold 5% + Frigid Winds 10% + Darkfire (Drow) 5% + Trans Dread 8% = 192%

MoF without double SoD + DC

Base Damage 100% + Combustive Action 24% + Swath of Destruction x1 20% + Bitter Cold 5% + Frigid Winds 10% + Divine Glow 17,5% + Bear Your Sins 10% + Condemning Gaze 15% = 201,5% capped at 200%

With a DC i don't even need to worry about Icy Veins/Rimefire overwriting Smolder, i don't need my CW to be a Drow, i can use Frost or Plaguefire instead of Dread, etc.

My only problem is that i think Frigid Winds doesn't work...
  • Options
    frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    edited March 2017

I've just checked again Frigid Winds: it has no icon, but it works correctly.

FrozenFire
  • Options
    frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    And guys? @thefabricant? Is it just me or is double smolder no longer possible on Durfi?
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

And guys? @thefabricant? Is it just me or is double smolder no longer possible on Durfi?

On drufi specifically? I can try probably sometime this weekend.

Double smolder was definitely working "in general" as recently as last night. But I haven't run FBI in this past week. Not sure why a particular boss/enemy would be immune to the mechanic.
  • Options

Well, as i showed if you run with a DC that has Bearing Your Sins + Condemning Gaze you can reach the debuff cap against any group of monsters without worrying about Double Smolder (unless you want this for the DoT, not the debuff). It is even easier if you are in a boss/single target fight such as Drufi because you can just use Ray of Enfeblement on Spell Mastery.
  • Options
    dupeks said:

On drufi specifically? I can try probably sometime this weekend.

Double smolder was definitely working "in general" as recently as last night. But I haven't run FBI in this past week. Not sure why a particular boss/enemy would be immune to the mechanic.
    Yea, just Drurfi. Dunno why, but I've tried multiple times and failed.

Well, as i showed if you run with a DC that has Bearing Your Sins + Condemning Gaze you can reach the debuff cap against any group of monsters without worrying about Double Smolder (unless you want this for the DoT, not the debuff). It is even easier if you are in a boss/single target fight such as Drufi because you can just use Ray of Enfeblement on Spell Mastery.
    Yes, but still, kinda weird.
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    rsdagrsdag Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Still possible to obtain smolder+rimefire on Drufi, tried yesterday.
    Thi is my general way of doing it:

1) Slot Furious Immolation and Combustive Action.
    2) Cast Furious Immolation
    3) Cast a power that does apply chill (I use CoI from Mastery) before the end of FI animation.
    4) Cast a couple of Scorching Bursts.
    5) Keep smolder up by spamming SB, rimfire by CoI from Mastery/Ice Knife.

Try it, not difficult but doesn't function 100% of times, I could say about 90%, I believe there's some issue with timing during the casting of 3)-4).

(I'm a thauma/rene without Icy veins)

Dagor Naresgal - CW
  • Options

Base Damage 100% + Combustive Action 24% + Swath of Destruction x2 40% + Bitter Cold 5% + Frigid Winds 10% + Darkfire (Drow) 5% + Trans Dread 8% = 192%

Base Damage 100% + Combustive Action 24% + Swath of Destruction x1 20% + Bitter Cold 5% + Frigid Winds 10% + Divine Glow 17,5% + Bear Your Sins 10% + Condemning Gaze 15% = 201,5% capped at 200%

With a DC i don't even need to worry about Icy Veins/Rimefire overwriting Smolder, i don't need my CW to be a Drow, i can use Frost or Plaguefire instead of Dread, etc.

Actually, frigid winds works but is ineffective against uncontrollable mobs.
    Other thing : it's really rare to have enough time to freeze thrashes without icy veins.
    Overall it's a really bad feat except if you main oppressor or take Icy Veins 3/5 Frigid Winds 2/5.

So, if you don't want to, you can just slot Ray of enfeeblement and not play with frigid winds.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    tenetomb said:

Actually, frigid winds works but is ineffective against uncontrollable mobs.
    Other thing : it's really rare to have enough time to freeze thrashes without icy veins.
    Overall it's a really bad feat except if you main oppressor or take Icy Veins 3/5 Frigid Winds 2/5.

So, if you don't want to, you can just slot Ray of enfeeblement and not play with frigid winds.
    I know that Frigid Winds doesn't work against control immune monsters, but those uncontrollable monsters usually are bosses/single target fights that i can just use Ray of Enfeblement making up for the loss of Frigid Winds. The only real problem are the packs of giants on FBI.

By the way i do have Icy Veins, and i do not worry about Rimefire overwriting Smolder because as i explained i can get to the debuff cap with a buff/debuff Cleric. I have 5/5 on both Icy Veins and Frigid Winds and Controlled Momentum and the capstone.
  • Options
    I was actually thinking about it and realized that the gf give 13% debuff with enhanced mark and op gives 10% with bane so, you're already reaching 200% debuff cap.