test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

My Indie RTS game dev project

nimbiss344nimbiss344 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Off Topic
I talked with the admins and they said it would be ok to post this!

I am a long time player of Neverwinter level 65 control wizard right now ranking up to level 70, been active in gaming for years mainly RTS and RPG games which got me interested in game development and indie game design, few years back I started working with a group on a reboot of the old RTS netstorm islands at war as free fan tribute project to bring it from 2D to 3D.

Our reboot project earned the attention of original design team that had worked on the original game who helped us approach the current license holders of game the original team had made made but the holders were not interested in continuing the project but we were presented with another option of dropping the old IP and working with the original team on creating new unit designs and art inspired from the old game and same game-play mechanics which would be ok for the project to proceed as, so this was the option our team went with and have been working on the new game now going in a new direction.

If there are any old timer RTS fans here that played the old netstorm and always wanted to see its unique gameplay revived you might want to check out my indie project.

Newunits3.jpg

disciplesofthestorm.stormisleproductions.com/?page_id=472

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    That looks really cool and sounds interesting. I wish I had more time to devote to other games at the moment! Good luck with this and keep us apprised of your progress, for sure!
  • Options
    Thanks Zebular, right working on readying the new rain faction ice golem in unity with its rigging and effects will post a screenshot time soon once I get everything rigged and finalized..
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Here is a little look at the new rain faction ice golem resource collecting unit our project has been working on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6myWVxjopo

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    Cool stuff!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Small update wanted to share look at our new altar design.
    150504_altar011.png

An important element and final checkmate for defeating enemy priests is casting them to the Tempests as an offering.

In the old Netstorm, the original altar had a unique design with sweeping wing-like pillars that a captured enemy high priest was chained to. We wanted the new design for the altar in DOTS to have a similar feel while still being our own unique design.

Looking at the altar, we found it very spartan-like but functional in shape, used for a single purpose with no need for extra fluff. Like Stone Henge, our alter has a permanence in material, lasting forever as it was carved from stone.

In shaping the new altar, we wanted to carry over the circular nature through the use of rings. The main outer ring on the perimeter has ritual stones and basin that will light with a colored flame on completion of each chant by the priest.

The inner ring platform is a smaller, suspended by chains and has rope bridges at level-1. Inside the inner ring is a third ring inset into the floor where the enemy priest is chained. Once ritual starts the ring levitates into an upright, hovering position.

Once all rituals are completed a vortex of white flame erupts from below, burning away the chains and the rope bridges letting the inner platform and hovering ring fall away into the flames.

While the design is basic it still allows expansion for levels 1 - 4 of upgraded alters.

Through the use of the central, levitating, ring where the enemy priest is chained, it gives a hint that the ring is like a dimensional portal where a priest's spirit is sent to the realm of the Tempests.

• Options
    Small update just wanted to share some new stuff I have been working on!

in the past few months have been working on revamping world lighting and working on getting the new interface elements in.
    these screenshots show how the world looks with the new world lighting and god ray beams of light in :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGyVYQuohx0

• Options
    Over the past few weeks the team on my project has been working on finishing up new rain unit for the Rain faction.
    This new unit is the Rain Spawn pool that spawns rain beasts that attack any units that enter or are constructed in range of the rains spawn pool.

Just wanted to show off the now nearly completed rain faction only three units left to do + the rain temple structure.

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    That's really starting to look like it is coming together.

Awesome work.
  • Options
    Finally have some new content to show from my project I have been working on, I and the rest of the team have been working like crazy since my last post to finish up the Sun faction getting all units modeled and textured and also doing the icons for them for the construction menu, we have been pushing over time trying to meet our deadline for August.

• Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    This looks really nice. <---RPG/Strategy gamer here.
  • Options

This looks really nice. <---RPG/Strategy gamer here. </p>

Thanks, have been putting a lot of time and effort into getting the content done and to a state that looks polished, its been a long long road but we finally starting to see things come together.

• Options
    some new screenshots from recent play tests with testers..

• Options
    Glad you are still chugging away! :)
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    Ohh I've played the original. This looks very interesting.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Its been a long long time since I posted any update regarding the project, the project is not dead I had to move the project from unity to unreal4... Had to re code a lot of elements from scratch.. but today just wanted to show some shots of the new prefab floating islands now in Stratus..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0J7mkdcLoY&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;fbclid=IwAR3BeFyf27JB906FferxosuxoTfvVljJRSPJX5FPZIX7P3XRZFHd9IqZUfM
    Post edited by nimbiss344 on
  • Options
    nbeast#6167 nbeast Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Is it pure C++ project?