Options

So, nothing to celebrate 50 years of man in space

2»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    WishStone wrote:
    Nope. I believe the English version was simply called "Rama". (The German versionw as called Rama: Rendevous in Space)
    Such a lovely game. I broke my poor teen brains trying to learn base 2, 8 and 16 maths for some of the puzzles in the game... in alien numerals. >.<
    The game we had when I was young was "Rendezvous with Rama." Played it on the Apple II. But the 90s game was just called "Rama."
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    For me the biggest discovery of late has been that of Gliese 581 g. Space really is the final frontier and I blame myself every day for being born in the wrong age.

Ah wel... at least we got STO! :D
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Trueheart wrote:
    I pushed an annoying Ensign out the airlock to celebrate... nothing says "Woohoo for men in space" than actually putting a man in space! :D

Shame the space suits won't arrive until Tuesday though...

LOL I did the same at DS9....sneakier that way, and just as rewarding....and same with my trackter beams!!!....tuesday!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Boreaz wrote: »
    For me the biggest discovery of late has been that of Gliese 581 g. Space really is the final frontier and I blame myself every day for being born in the wrong age.

Ah wel... at least we got STO! :D

I can't remember but was Gliese 581 g the first exoplanet to be found?

Also @AngelSilhoute - Have you heard about the new Red Dwarf series that is being made later this year? Six new episodes!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Lilist wrote:
    I can't remember but was Gliese 581 g the first exoplanet to be found?

Also @AngelSilhoute - Have you heard about the new Red Dwarf series that is being made later this year? Six new episodes!!!

NO!!

*Goes to look it up*

YES!!!

^.^
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    WishStone wrote:
    Well, maybe to celebrate some of you might pick up a really exciting book series about space travel and space exploration.

I myself would put forward reading the Rama series by Arthur C Clarke (who passed away March 3 years ago):
    • Rama
    • Rama II
    • The Garden of Rama
    • Rama Revealed

(Book 1 is somewhat stand-alone and you could hop into Rama II without having read it.)

I will not give any spoilers on this, other than perhaps mentioning that Sierra On-Line made a PC games based on Rama II in the late 1990s - and it even had Clarke play an active part in the game!

That series KICKED FREAKING TRIBBLE. Little too cerebral for some tho.

The first book (Rendezvous with Rama) is a great book, but yes...it's not 100% necessary, as RAMA II pretty much covers the entire book as more or less a flashback. Clarke did some seriously good work. Love the Odyssey series as well (2001, 2010, 2061, and 3001) are great books as well.

The game Wish is referring to is actually the second game in the Rama universe. The first one was a text adventure made in 1984.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I don't see what's to celebrate. We haven't done anything amazing in space that expanded our minds and horizons in the last 42 of those years.

You really need to think before you post.

Congratz to all involved in any space program. Heres to the next 50! :)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Little too cerebral for some tho.
    Well, it wasn't easily digested... and more than once I found myself having to stop reading because I wept deeply. Clarke knew how to emotionally attach you to his characters.

But it also had some of the most creative aliens I encountered in any SciFi book (and, no, no details. After all, I want you guys to read it. ^^)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    WishStone wrote:
    Well, it wasn't easily digested... and more than once I found myself having to stop reading because I wept deeply. Clarke knew how to emotionally attach you to his characters.

But it also had some of the most creative aliens I encountered in any SciFi book (and, no, no details. After all, I want you guys to read it. ^^)

IMO - the first original 'Rendevous With Rama' was great. The sequel books not so much.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    NO!!

*Goes to look it up*

YES!!!

^.^

Lol that was my reaction when I was told!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Lilist wrote:
    Lol that was my reaction when I was told!

And I just got "Backwards" "The Last Human" and "Primordial Soup" recently Such a shame that more books weren't published, as well. They are very well written.

Well... Primordial Soup is just scripts from some of the shows. :3
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    WishStone wrote:

Yeah...

I first found Rama back in about 89/90 I think.....My high school had a superior library with killer amounts of Sci-Fi books.

I finally got to read all of the series back to back recently...my local library has all the books. They have a substantial amount of Clarke novels. Makes me happy that the public library has some good stuff still.