Install Arc
Options

No T5 connie

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Phibrizzo wrote: »
    therefore everyone should stop creating threads about it and stop arguing about

but we know how fast that'll happen :rolleyes:

Be nice if the Mods would just mash them all together every time a new one pops up...

Like they do over at TrekBBS.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Phibrizzo wrote: »
    therefore everyone should stop creating threads about it and stop arguing about

but we know how fast that'll happen :rolleyes:

Or the devs give us some info on the ship in question and the endless arguing will turn into a weeks worth of complaining, and then be done with. Kind of like the Breen Bio-thermal dampener. Devs decided to can it, people (me) complained about it for a week, and then it was forgotten because the decision has been made. all the devs need to say is 1) we're working on it but need CBS approval 2) we are no longer doing refits instead are going to work on upgradable ships 3)NO we are not going to do refits on any more existing ships in game. Give us a definitive answer, let the losing side gripe about it for a week, and then the argument would be over.

Perhaps they know some people will quite once they announce that the ship is coming, and are milking their subscriptions. It really doesn't make sense not to have it in game at T-5 as a lot of people would purchase it.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    But not a Practical EVIL idea...

In order for your idea to be truly EVIL...,

Everyone would have to pay, whether they use the ship or not.

That's what I meant by Righteousness almost always having a tendency to backfire on those who seek it's Justice, without Temperance.

Its entirely practical. Its just like a cell phone service. You want unlimited long distance, have to pay more per month. You want unlimited texting, another chunk of money.

You just don't like it because i came up with it first. Plus, Cryptic IS free to change its sub rate whenever it wants.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    jam062307 wrote: »
    Or the devs give us some info on the ship in question and the endless arguing will turn into a weeks worth of complaining, and then be done with. Kind of like the Breen Bio-thermal dampener. Devs decided to can it, people (me) complained about it for a week, and then it was forgotten because the decision has been made. all the devs need to say is 1) we're working on it but need CBS approval 2) we are no longer doing refits instead are going to work on upgradable ships 3)NO we are not going to do refits on any more existing ships in game. Give us a definitive answer, let the losing side gripe about it for a week, and then the argument would be over.

Perhaps they know some people will quite once they announce that the ship is coming, and are milking their subscriptions. It really doesn't make sense not to have it in game at T-5 as a lot of people would purchase it.

The question is whether the long term amount brought in by the subs lost is smaller than the immediate gain of a bunch of willing victims wanting a new shiny.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Its entirely practical. Its just like a cell phone service. You want unlimited long distance, have to pay more per month. You want unlimited texting, another chunk of money.

You just don't like it because i came up with it first. Plus, Cryptic IS free to change its sub rate whenever it wants.

Except that cell phone prices are now comming down/leveling off and all that stuff is pretty much included...

Ummmm... Yeah.., Right...,

My posts just reek of the insideous jealousy I feel about your indignant ideas...

<shakes head> Not So Much. :rolleyes:

And if Cryptic, in it's freedom to change it's sub-rate at any time...,

Were to single out specific players instead of the entire player base, to up it's rates...

A Womans Wrath would seem like a walk in the park, compared to the Almighty Flames of Rage that would ensue around here.

(it just kills you that my responses to your posts are logical, doesn't it?)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The question is whether the long term amount brought in by the subs lost is smaller than the immediate gain of a bunch of willing victims wanting a new shiny.

That assumes that the loss would be measurable to begin with....

New Shinnies tend to increase sub's not decrease them.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dave, if you think I come here to always be serious, you don't know me very well. ;)

Cell phone companies prices may be coming down, but all the services I listed still are optional and still cost more. WIth the micro transaction store, the next possible and still logical, step is to have a pay monthly per service option. Hell, LotRO has a handful of sub plans, along with a couple othe f2p games. This one has 4, LTS and monthly +C-store for those that want it in addition.

We have $25 items in the C-store, what stops them from charging monthly for such and such item?

Remember (if you were here that long ago) we were assured that the C-store wouldn't be the monstrousity it is now. before that the forums were in just such an uproar after they said "we're having MT's". The resistance continues, still. The whole time all the people for MT's assured us that the C-store wouldn't get out of hand. It has IMO.

Theres nothing to stop the same people who dreamed up MT's from progressesing to a "progressive subscription plan" where you buy various features in rented packages. I just happened to say that the 1st possible choice dor such a thing could be the Connie at any tier over 1.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That assumes that the loss would be measurable to begin with....

New Shinnies tend to increase sub's not decrease them.

Prove it ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Thrython wrote: »
    I love the constitution and still use it as a captain regardless of it's short comings. Making a t5 Connie would take away from the ship. I would like an upgrade in a form of a patch for the ship. The only thing I'd change about the Connie is that I would like to use higher rank bridge office skills. As a Lt you can only have ensign officers and so on. So why not make the 3 that are there have a rank cap of Cmd. The Connie wasn't the most powerful in Kirk's time and shouldn't be as powerful as a t5 at all. It's fun as the under dog. Just make it so I can use higher rank officers. I wouldn't mind other TOS ship that were more powerful then the Connie showing up in a higher tier.

Ok, first the logical and most "canon-friendly" solution... I quote because like or not, NONE of this is canon anyway. The idea of holo-emitters has been tossed around a lot, and is a good one. Granted they be barred from PvP so all the PvP'ers can't cry foul for not knowing what ship they're facing in combat (though personally I would literally laugh seeing a Connie decloak in front of me and hit me with a phaser lance or barrage of cannon-fire out of nowhere). It's nostalgic, plus doesn't hurt the so called "immersive" aspect of the game. Sounds like a win on both sides to me. Not to mention the potential for more sales, or potentially the ability to built/craft it in Memory Alpha.

Now, the most likely Crypitic response to our Connie-TOS-loving needs. One, a C-Store exclusive revamp or retrofit... Gotta make profit after all. Or, since there's talk of having the Tier 6 with the upcoming Fleet Admiral rank come with the option of full ship customization. A C-Store exclusive based on unlocking the parts for Connie creation, or reasonable facsimile thereof... Again, mony mony MONAAAY...

Think we see the overall bottom line here in any given scenario... Supply and damand = more green.
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Lets be honest, if someone actually leaves the game over the inclusion of this ship at end-game; they were probably going to leave the game anyway. I don't see how a ship affects content. Its all additional revenue.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    jam062307 wrote: »
    Lets be honest, if someone actually leaves the game over the inclusion of this ship at end-game; they were probably going to leave the game anyway. I don't see how a ship affects content. Its all additional revenue.

Some people wanted a game set in this period w/o all the money grubbing fluff, and pandering to the TOS fans.

All we've got is a game that doesn't stick to its era, and panders to TOS fans, and is full of money grubbing fluff. Maybe the only reason I'm still here is because I don't have to pay to play because I bought the LTS. Many didn't.

Anyone who leaves is lost revenue because the company loses both the sub, AND the potential revenue from any, even if unlikely, c-store binges brought by that customer.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Prove it ;)
    You first.... :p

<chuckle>
    Dave, if you think I come here to always be serious, you don't know me very well. ;)

Cell phone companies prices may be coming down, but all the services I listed still are optional and still cost more. WIth the micro transaction store, the next possible and still logical, step is to have a pay monthly per service option. Hell, LotRO has a handful of sub plans, along with a couple othe f2p games. This one has 4, LTS and monthly +C-store for those that want it in addition.

We have $25 items in the C-store, what stops them from charging monthly for such and such item?

Remember (if you were here that long ago) we were assured that the C-store wouldn't be the monstrousity it is now. before that the forums were in just such an uproar after they said "we're having MT's". The resistance continues, still. The whole time all the people for MT's assured us that the C-store wouldn't get out of hand. It has IMO.

Theres nothing to stop the same people who dreamed up MT's from progressesing to a "progressive subscription plan" where you buy various features in rented packages. I just happened to say that the 1st possible choice dor such a thing could be the Connie at any tier over 1.

Yer right, I don't... but I'm a fast learner... ;)

My guess would be because the $25 dollar items are making enough money that they don't have to... yet.

I was just a lurker during beta... time and money (for a new 'puter), weren't on my side back then... but I remember the beginings of the fuss...

Started actually playing the game mid-Febuary 2010... and by then it was pretty obvious that the C-Store was gonna rule the roost... though I never felt it was all that much to get bothered about.

I got yer point, I just think it's a bit over-exaggerated... as is the fuss over what Tiers ships should be in. IMO.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    :) You first.... :p

<chuckle>

All i said is moneys lost when people unsub. Your the one that asserted that new shinies attract people
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    lol yeah how many left when toons started running around in TOS uniforms?

This argument is actually sounding like the Q vs Picard/Federation arguments....the fun vs the serious. Q always seemed to air out some of the stuffiness of starfleet. Nonetheless, Q and his antics are part of trek canon, I would like a Mariachi band on my bridge :D

Ahh my new ship name...the Intergalactic Prophylactic...i think that is somthing that the doc provides prior to Risian excursions...
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    All i said is moneys lost when people unsub. Your the one that asserted that new shinies attract people

Logically, when something new is added to the game... people will come back to see if it's worth it to pay and play again...

Word of mouth works both ways.

My Guesstimates are just as valid as yours.
    Originally Posted by cavilier210

Underlined = a Guesstimate
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It'd be nice to have some Cryptic clarification, these threads breed like tribbles.

No T5 connie, fine by me. That goes for all other antique ships, even the ones already in game. I don't mind seeing ships being upgraded a few levels with shiney new tech but such a massive jump in ability on that particular ship just breaks my suspension of disbelief.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Why are we having this debate? I already voted and now I have a TOS interior in my T5 flounder of a star cruiser to show for it, which is wrong. I would like to have a period appropriate ship to go with my interior, costumes and gear on the end level toon I have that uses them.

Personally the fact that most other ships do not fit in one of time lines I enjoy does not bother me at all. I marvel at the new ships and the care that CaptLogan ET all has put into them. Why is it that others are so bothered by my old school preference on that one toon of mine?

As for me loving a misogynistic series that was sexist, hey for me it was a simpler time. It was the early 70's. The future was at our fingertips and TOS was already in reruns. I was a child and everything was new. TOS, with all its flaws, captured the zeitgeist of the moment for me. Years later while we watched a rerun episode of TOS my grandmother, a woman who in her own way broke the glass ceiling by running the Government Desk at Cannon ITT, told me about signing a contract with a tiny company with the cutest name. “You see?” She explained, ‘Micro’ for little, and ‘soft’ for software.” Had I known at fifteen what we all know now.

Besides this is how it is with series that spans decades. Read Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, considered very progressive when Prelude to Foundation hit the shelves in the early 50's, if you don't believe me. Through it you can watch as the feminist movement made a deeper impact on the social conscience, within fiction, as each book unfolds. In that way both TOS and each book of Foundation are as cutting edge as the intended audience of their time allows.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It'd be nice to have some Cryptic clarification, these threads breed like tribbles.

No T5 connie, fine by me. That goes for all other antique ships, even the ones already in game. I don't mind seeing ships being upgraded a few levels with shiney new tech but such a massive jump in ability on that particular ship just breaks my suspension of disbelief.

Well think of it this way....just because it could be boosted to T5 doesn't mean it would be equal to a T5 Cruiser.

The T1 B'trel went from 8,000 hull and 2/1 weapons to 21,000 hull and a 4/2 weapons. Why couldn't the same happen for a T1 Connie? It's 12,000 hull with 2/1 could go to...lets say 26,000-30,000 hull with a 3/3.

It's still bigger or around the same size as other T5 ships...and since it would be using the frame and internals of a Refit Excalibur (already stated to have an advanced war core) I see no reason why this would be such a stretch to the imagination. Heck it's 110m longer than the Defiant.

Overall I would love to see something like this happen (no hate please)

The T5 TOS could be a C-Store Ship Bundle. Using the same platform but given a few different ship skins.
    The Federation Dreadnought, Surya and Constitution. (maybe more or different ones)

If you gave it
    Hull: 26,000-30,000
    Turn: 11
    Crew: 200
    Cm: Uni
    CmLt: Uni
    Lt: Uni
    Eng: 3
    Sci: 3
    Tac: 3

Any of the specials it would come with would use a console.

This wouldn't be overpowered and the TOS fans can have their ship...plus make it the way they want.

As for the T2 Excalibur...I think that should be a whole other ballgame making the Excalibur-R a true T5 Cruiser with 30,000-36,000 hull, 9 turn with a 4/4 weapon. This would include all the T2 ship skins along with a future variant.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well think of it this way....just because it could be boosted to T5 doesn't mean it would be equal to a T5 Cruiser.

Overall I would love to see something like this happen (no hate please)

The T5 TOS could be a C-Store Ship Bundle. Using the same platform but given a few different ship skins.
    The Federation Dreadnought, Surya and Constitution. (maybe more or different ones)

If you gave it
    Hull: 26,000-30,000
    Turn: 11
    Crew: 200
    Cm: Uni
    CmLt: Uni
    Eng: 3
    Sci: 3
    Tac: 3

Any of the specials it would come with would use a console.

Why hate? While I would like a fully capable T5 Connie, this is an agreeable compromise in my eyes. Attaching any specials to a console means I can remove it if I find the special does not work with my play style which is a nice bonus to the compromise.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Some people wanted a game set in this period w/o all the money grubbing fluff, and pandering to the TOS fans.

All we've got is a game that doesn't stick to its era, and panders to TOS fans, and is full of money grubbing fluff. Maybe the only reason I'm still here is because I don't have to pay to play because I bought the LTS. Many didn't.

Anyone who leaves is lost revenue because the company loses both the sub, AND the potential revenue from any, even if unlikely, c-store binges brought by that customer.

What we have is a game that panders to the TNG Kiddies.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I know, how about extra rent on players that want a T5 connie. Their subs go up to $20. LTS's have to pay $5 a month.

Muahahahahahahahaha

Since your all so willing to fork over the cash, I'd totally take advantage of that if I were them. Just one way to guarentee a steady supply of TOS fans moneys.

That would be fine, as long as that same pricing model was applied to everyone flying a refit-T4 ship in T5, and they were back-billed to when those ships were added. Pay up.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    mvs5191 wrote: »
    The fact that a T5 Galaxy is in the game is proof that you can get anything you want in this game by whining enough.

Updated for you, because you are a few months behind.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
    The fact that a T5 Galaxy is in the game is proof that you can get anything you want in this game by whining enough.
    Pasquatic wrote:

Considering the Galaxy Class was one of the most powerful ships in space at the time. The Defiant being the most powerful battleship across most of the quadrant, and the Intrepid proved its worth by surviving a 70000 light year journey across the galaxy all 3 of those ships have proven themselves multiple times so they deserve to be at T5. As for the Constitution Class they only built like 165 of them and then scrapped them cause they were very limited. Hense why they didn't continue on where the Excelsior Class proved to be one of the most versatile designed the federation ever created.

I say no to a T5 Constitution Class ship, I would be OK with it at T2 Maybe even T3 but no higher then that, EVER.

The Akira Class should have never been put as a T3 it was a very advanced ship and would have continued to be so, at the same time it shouldn't have been classified as a Escort, it was a Heavy Cruiser with a crew of 500. But I am willing to let some things slide, but as for a T5 Constitution Class, hell no never. Those ships as they are now shouldn't even be able to take on modern shuttle craft let alone stand toe to toe with a Romulan Warbird, the federation isn't in the business of putting people in to flying coffins and sending them out.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Pasquatic wrote:
    The fact that a T5 Excelsior is in the game is proof that you can get anything you want in this game by whining enough.

I'm gonna update your own post for you since you are definitely one of those little kiddies that you spoke up earlier by your general treatment of others on the forums.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Pasquatic wrote:

It should, because thats the closest era to this game. Only 30 years, not 250.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Pasquatic wrote:
    That would be fine, as long as that same pricing model was applied to everyone flying a refit-T4 ship in T5, and they were back-billed to when those ships were added. Pay up.

Diversity in pricing allows them to have all of them :D So they can have the 1 time charge, the 500 emblems, and making the TOS era ships have a rental fee to them :p
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Pasquatic wrote:

I think that's because TOS is over 50 years old. I assert that most people alive today who play MMOs weren't born yet when TOS aired in the '60s. I myself am 31 years old and grew up watching TNG in the '80s. My parents were both young teenagers in the 60's when TOS first aired. They can barely operate a computer, whereas I build them for fun. Because of that generational gap, STO does pander to "TNG Kiddies" because that is, most likely, the largest group of Trekkers who also happen to game online.
    Well think of it this way....just because it could be boosted to T5 doesn't mean it would be equal to a T5 Cruiser. snip As for the T2 Excalibur...I think that should be a whole other ballgame making the Excalibur-R a true T5 Cruiser with 30,000-36,000 hull, 9 turn with a 4/4 weapon. This would include all the T2 ship skins along with a future variant.

I'm somewhat skeptical of a T-5 Connie, but I think this is a fair compromise. More as time goes on, I can see the fun in flying around a total retro character, with a total retro ship and ship interior, and still opening a can of whoop *** in PvE. PvP may be a different story.
    Thlaylie wrote:
    They only "suck" because they haven't instituted mandatory Military School for all citizens yet.

And destroy what little fun there is to be had by going to school now. :p I had a supervisor at my job who was ex-army and ran his unit like an army platoon. It was, by far, the worst job experience I've ever had in my life. I couldn't imagine putting my 2 daughters through something like that at school. Don't get me wrong, I got nothing against the military (my brother's ex-Navy, was in for 20 years, and I respect him greatly for it), I just don't think the government should force it upon it's citizens.

Ok, back on topic now!
    Pasquatic wrote:
    I would prefer a T5 with only T5 ships and none of the T4 ships that we have; and a T6 completely free of all legacy ships.

I don't mind the T-5 refits personally, but I do agree with you that the T-6 ships should be all new classes with absolutely no basis in any prior class found in any TV series. When I found out that STO was taking place in 2409, that's what excited me the most about the game...all brand-new ship designs.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Pasquatic wrote:

You must be joking. Tos fans have been crying and crying and have been given...

tos connie ship (cstore)
    mission that takes you back during tos times.
    tos clothing, a few sets
    tos bridge and full interior
    tos weapons
    tos shuttle/pet

Thing is this game like people have mentioned doesnt take place during tos times, if it did.. then Iam sure you would be more happy. And I did watch TOS, and Iam 29, going on 30 this year. But personally, I dont care for the items in game because we are much farther in the future in this game and its silly to have old moth ball ships taking on higher tec ships and compete. No matter what type of upgrades could be given to that ship... its not feasible.

You can have your tos stuff in game but.. its has to be realistic in some reguards... keep it all lower tier where it should. *my thoughts*
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You must be joking. Tos fans have been crying and crying and have been given...

tos connie ship (cstore)
    mission that takes you back during tos times.
    tos clothing, a few sets
    tos bridge and full interior
    tos weapons
    tos shuttle/pet

Lets see

Galaxy Class Tier 4
    Galaxy Class Dreadnought tier 4.5
    Galaxy Class tier 5 retrofit
    TNG costume packs several sets
    TNG bridge (the Galaxy is quite good, the movie sovereign though...)
    TNG weapons in game all tiers (I like my wide beam phaser)
    TNG shuttle/pet

Seems TNG gets more starships but the playing field is even. Have a nice day :o

Personally I'd like a constellation (the real one) at tier 5
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Blitzy wrote:

Personally I'd like a constellation (the real one) at tier 5

Check my sig for that idea.
This discussion has been closed.