test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Uniforms: Model errors, issues and feedback

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited January 2012 in The Art of Star Trek Online
Like the Starships: Model errors, issues and feedback thread, I'm hoping to make a catalogue here of known uniform and costume model issues. This means anything from colour inconsistencies, to clipping textures, visual glitches and Canon inconsistencies. When submitting, do not be afraid to be pedantic, as it is the entire point of this thread. Set the bar extra high and encourage the devs to shoot for the stars. ;)

Please, post only if you have any new info on issues or inconsistencies any ship might have, as posting info already found here will only hamper my efforts to update this thread.

Please utilise http://imgur.com/ (pictures) and http://tiny.cc/ (pages) when submitting info to help keep the bloat down on the front page posts.

Starfleet:

Enterprise era uniforms (circa: 2140s - 2160s)

• Enterprise:
    • The fleet patch covers part of the division stripe. It should be moved down a bit.

• The Flag Officer pips on the Enterprise uniform should appear on Both Sides.

• Mirror Enterprise:
    • Male Uniform top: No option for a fleet patch at all.

• Female Uniform top: The fleet patch goes beneath the assignment patch. It would be nice if we could opt to replace the NX-01 assignment patch with our fleet patch / badge.

• Both sets:
    • It would be really nice if the NX-01 silhouette on the ship assignment patch could be replaced with the silhouette of whichever ship class (Primary) to which you are currently assigned, if the text: "Enterprise" (Non-mirror) could be replaced with your ship's name, and if the "NX-01" (Mirror) could be replaced with your ship's registry (if you chose not to replace it with your fleet patch).

TOS era (circa: 2265 - 2270)
  • The current male jumpers seem to be utilising the pattern from the JJTrek uniforms. The TOS uniforms have a more subtle seam and an upward curve over the breast as opposed to the straight line seams of the STO/JJtrek jumpers.

• The trousers are a bit too shiny, as if they are made of vinyl or leather instead of cloth.

• Combining a Ferengi with a TOS jumper or wrap tunic and the Stern stance gives you a big triangular hole in the back of the character's neck through which you can see whatever's in front of you.

• Mirror Universe: Missing the captain's sparkly wrap with fringed shoulders, missing Scotty's knee high boots, missing the miscellaneous medals they wear opposite the Terran Empire patch.

• NPCs sporting TOS Vulcan hairstyles in the TOS ship interiors have sideburns that do not meet original Starfleet regulations

• Command wrap tunic should have the ranks on the shoulders or the cuffs, not both. Unable to change shoulder rank.

• Missing female Dress uniforms. Should be shiny like the current nurse's uniform, but with the ability to add medals and decorations and change the collar colour. Examples: 1 2

TMP era uniforms (circa: 2270-2275)
(Legend: RDML = Rear Admiral (Lower Half) RADM = Rear Admiral (Upper Half) VADM = Vice Admiral )

Starting from top to bottom: (Images taken from: http://www.fastcopyinc.com/orionpress/uniforms/starfleet_uniforms_circa_2270.htm )
  • The uniform collar does not deform with the player / BO body like the rest of the uniform. BOs / Players with larger than normal necks (by any margin) clip horribly with the collar. Using the "Stern" stance exacerbates the clipping.

• Crew neck variant missing

• The epaulette ranks for RADM and above are using bars instead of starbursts:
  • Male (comm)badges are the only ones with colour tintable backgrounds. (TMP era uniforms use the background of their badges to indicate their career path: Colours and the departments they represent.)

• Short sleeve variant missing

• Rank braids on the cuffs use the TOS braids instead of the changed TMP braids:

• Horrible clipping in the nethers whilst sitting in the captain's chair. [pic not provided out of decency]

• The trousers make female toons' calves look enormous. Serious cankles going on, there. :3

I had hoped to see the security armour added to the set, sans helmet for obvious reasons. Was hoping to give the chest armour and boots to my Chief of Security. :3

PodSix wrote:

Suggestions for change:

I suggest changing the TMP uniform to two shirts. one with epaulets, one without. Fix the colour on the collar, fix the colour on the belt. Set separate colur groups for sleeve rank and shoulder ranks (if shown). add some more light colours to the colour pallet. Make holes in the "pin" and/ir make the "field" section colourable, with "white" as an option.

Wrath of Khan era uniforms (circa: 2275-2283)

TNG era Uniforms: (Circa 2366 - 2372)
  • 2366-2369 (TNG) Female left arms 2-3 cm too high, appears to be a clipping error.

• 2370s (Voyager era) commbadges clip with female chests (*ahem* bust size seems to exacerbate the amount of clipping). :o

• TNG uniform still folds badly when using the Thoughtful stance.

TNG-era Open-Jacket Uniforms: (circa: 2368 - current)
  • Captain's shirt variant is only ever seen under the TNG Captain's jacket, which isn't available currently - never the DS9/TNG movie tops.

• The 'open jacket versions of the DS9/TNG movie uniforms should logically be the open top with the coloured department undershirt visible.

• On that note, the TNG movie version can also be worn open over the 'Captains' Vest' - alternatively, the vest can be worn without the jacket over the top, similar to the Captain variant shirt.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    All Good Things era uniforms (circa 2390s-2420s)
    • Uniform collar clips with the rear my Ferengi's neck (the triangular portion that has a hole in it in the TOS section is poking out.), but does not do the same to my Rigelian BO who has a similar build and stance (Stern).
    • Slight colour bleed around the shoulder / chest piping

STO Original Uniforms
    • Vice Admiral Coat: Fleet patch option disappears when this uniform option is selected
    • Jupiter Veteran Belt clips badly with The Wrath of Khan jacket (Female)
    • Jupiter Uniform 3 has an integral belt that is not covered when the Jupiter Belt is selected (Male)
    • Unspecified Jupiter Uniform has artifacts above rank pips.
    • No option for Fleet Emblems on Antares 2 uniform (Male)
    • Starfleet Academy Uniform: The collar on the right side is all distorted. When using Admiral ranks, this becomes even more apparent.

Bajoran Militia Uniforms
    • General Epaulets (and pips) are not color-able and are gold by default. Really, if they are not going to be color-able then they should at least be the right color, Silver. The best idea would be to make them color-able, like every other rank pip in the game.

• The decorative cut-out on the Belt is wrong. It should be three slits in a diagonal pattern, not vertical.

• The Male version of both uniform tops is wrong. At the point where the shoulder color goes under the arms it should dip slightly in the same way as the Female versions of the uniforms.

• There is no Medical variant of the uniform.

Off Duty clothing

Starfleet Uniform Requests

Klingon BO Honour Sash / Baldric

Flight Suits

Option to remove Cummerbund from AGT uniforms.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Klingon Defence Force

Races:
    Nausicaans:
    • Nausicaans are no where near as tall as some of the Nausicaan NPCs, and (Like the pre-overhaul Gorn) seem to be restricted to human proportions. (Most of the Nausicaans in ST are much taller than the humans, many of the Nausicaan NPCs are as well.)
    • Also, the STO Nausicaans look like very poor imitations of the canon Nausicaans:
    • Can the Nausicaans receive maybe a little overhaul / Makeover? Just a bit? Something to keep them from looking like they're made of play-doh?

Uniforms
    • TOS era uniforms:
      • Option has only the top (and aside from the shape of the pattern, it is quite unlike the canon TOS Klingon uniform tunic. 1 2). Missing proper belt, trousers, boots and baldric (Worn over left shoulder, not right)
      • The trousers, emblems and boots worn by the Klingons and B'vat in the Guardian of Forever mission and various other Klingons in the time travel missions are completely unavailable.
      • Female Klingons do not have a canonical TOS outfit. Reference pics: 1 2 courtesy SirCatoKnot and Alien_de_jour.
    • TNG era uniforms:

• Klingon collars: Still unable to remove from Gorn

• Klingon gauntlets: Gauntlet 3 should be cloned into a Gauntlet 4 which would have an additional glove with claws over the knuckles, like in the series.

• Sleeves: The canonical Klingon warriors quite often wore loose/baggy "fur" sleeves as a part of their armour bloused into their gauntlets. (NOT furry shirts beneath their armour)

• Boots: The new bulky boots are disappointingly short. The TOS boots are knee highs.

• Armour Chest: It is similar to the canonical armour, but missing the cylindrical chest belt that connects over the sternum.

• Armour Shoulders: The standard set looks like the canonical armour laid over huge chunks of solid material. The layered armour looks much closer to canon; why not remove the lower two layers for the standard shoulder armour?

• Female Armour: The lower part of the female armour is always attached, even if one selects the option to show skin. So if one takes the skin option for the armour top, she now has an odd looking skirt attached to the bottom still.

• Honour cloaks: Per a very old post by the devs, being added as admiral rank unlock, going against canon. At most it should be an honour unlock or rank should be captain and non-Klingons should have to go through a separate mission to prove their honour and bring glory to the Empire.

• Honour Sash: Some of the sashes clip with the shoulder pads. Perhaps add a right shoulder option that has the sash attached to a pauldron.

• Racial attire:
        • Lethean still have no racial attire. Letheans are still stuck with Klingon gear. Admittedly there is no Lethean gear on any of the Lethean NPCs, but it would be nice to have the option to wear Nausicaan and/or Orion gear.

• The Orion Harnesses cannot be used with the Bare Chest options for Orion Males. See these guides: Orion Male 1 and Orion Male 2. These are based on Orion outfits as seen in Enterprise and are nearly identical to the ones you can currently see in-game in the Stranded in Space mission. Also, using them with any kind of Armor causes very bad clipping and total obscuration of some parts of the Harnesses.

• Fix Wonky costume options: Some racial options seem to be afterthoughts (removing a Nausicaan's hair leaves it with a shelf where its forehead drops down to its crown.) Some racial options are just not there for players.

• Cryptic uniforms:

• Mk XIII Honour Guard armour set causing pigeon toe on Orion Females when they walk or run.

KDF Uniform Requests
    • Allow Nausicaan blades/armour on Gorn, Lethean and Alien race tailors.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Reserved for overflow 3
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Reserved for overflow 4
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Reserved for overflow 5

We're getting additional factions, after all. I think I've learned my lesson with the Starship model: errors, issues and feedback thread.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    AGT Uniforms

Unless you use the WoK belt, the uniform looks as if it has a cummerbund[/LIST]

I'm 90% sure the AGT uniform *does* have a cumberbund: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Reginald_Barclay,_Endgame.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Cuatela wrote:
    I'm 90% sure the AGT uniform *does* have a cumberbund: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Reginald_Barclay,_Endgame.jpg

My mistake :) I'll cut that. I thought they were like the series 1 TNG pyjamas. :3
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Finally, thank you for making this thread. Its quite needed, as an easier resource for Mhighison (or others) to get the uniforms as right as possible.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Morgomir wrote: »
    Finally, thank you for making this thread. Its quite needed, as an easier resource for Mhighison (or others) to get the uniforms as right as possible.

My pleasure, I should have done it sooner. :3
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Great thread, this - we've been in need of this for a while. :)

Couple of improvements I can think of, off the top of my head:

TMP Uniform:

- Collar on male uniform is the Admiral 'high neck' version - regular collar should be lower, with a shape more like that of the TOS uniform.

- Badge is a flat patch (like the 'Enterprise' arm patch) with a black outline - Starfleet arrowhead is (normally) silver, with the background circle in the department colour.

- Admiral uniform badge, however, is a solid metal version of the above, very similar to the 'Wrath of Khan' uniform belt buckle.

Reference:

TMP Officers' Uniform (Sciences division badge)
    TMP Admiral's Uniform

TNG-era Open-Jacket Uniforms:

- Captain's shirt variant is only ever seen under the TNG Captain's jacket, which isn't available currently - never the DS9/TNG movie tops.

- The 'open jacket versions of the DS9/TNG movie uniforms should logically be the open top with the coloured department undershirt visible.

- On that note, the TNG movie version can also be worn open over the 'Captains' Vest' - alternatively, the vest can be worn without the jacket over the top, similar to the Captain variant shirt.

Reference:

Picard's Jacket - TNG
    Command Vest - First Contact
    Janeway with jacket off, showing the DS9/VOY shirt
    Security Officer with TNG movie jacket open
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TNG and TNG Movie comm badges display as though the bottom pieces are embedded in a female toon's chest.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Added both, except for the information that was already listed.

Added a request / wish list section to the bottom.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Edited the AGT section a bit.

Still looking for any other additions to this list, contributions are welcome.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Stealth fix to the "Wrath of Khan" trousers, they are now able to be made black.

At the time I was playing with the uniforms, I was a bit tired and didn't check the jackets. I'll do that in a bit.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok - noticed a really crucial flaw in the male 'TOS' uniforms:

Look at the seams on it, and the overall shape/cut...

Yup - it's essentially the same as the 2009 movie uniform, which was in the pre-release version of the game until any Abrams-trek content was pulled.

Basically, the pattern's been removed, and the TOS assignment patches added. But in terms of the actual modelling, it's the alternate reality uniform.

Comparison:

Cast photo - Abrams Trek

The original cast in 'Arena', from the re-mastered original Star Trek
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok - noticed a really crucial flaw in the male 'TOS' uniforms:

Look at the seams on it, and the overall shape/cut...

Yup - it's essentially the same as the 2009 movie uniform, which was in the pre-release version of the game until any Abrams-trek content was pulled.

Basically, the pattern's been removed, and the TOS assignment patches added. But in terms of the actual modelling, it's the alternate reality uniform.

Comparison:

Cast photo - Abrams Trek

The original cast in 'Arena', from the re-mastered original Star Trek

Wow, I never noticed. The original uniforms look as if they were woven in the shape of shirts. Not a single seam on them, anywhere (save the collar). I'll add this to the first page.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Edited the AGT section a bit.

Still looking for any other additions to this list, contributions are welcome.

This is my biggest complaint with the AGT uniforms. The shorter the toon, the more the clipping of the rank pins is an issue. My toon that's pictured in the link is 5'8". It doesn't matter what stance the toon uses, the clipping is an issue regardless. Some stances aren't as bad as others though. This issue has been around since the day the AGT uniforms went on sale in the C-Store.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    JCSWW wrote: »
    This is my biggest complaint with the AGT uniforms. The shorter the toon, the more the clipping of the rank pins is an issue. My toon that's pictured in the link is 5'8". It doesn't matter what stance the toon uses, the clipping is an issue regardless. Some stances aren't as bad as others though. This issue has been around since the day the AGT uniforms went on sale in the C-Store.

Edited the first post to reflect that.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The Command Tunic from the new TOS pack has the Captain rank on the shoulders and it can't be removed. I don't think they understood that it's his Captain's rank. If you pair this with a different rank on your sleeves, you now have two different ranks showing!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    captrob wrote: »
    The Command Tunic from the new TOS pack has the Captain rank on the shoulders and it can't be removed. I don't think they understood that it's his Captain's rank. If you pair this with a different rank on your sleeves, you now have two different ranks showing!

True enough, very good catch:

The shoulder rank clearly has the two solid braids and the single broken braid segment indicating captain. This means it would be simple to replicate the other ranks onto the shoulders. (Though it might not look so nice, depending on the rank.)

However, the ranks on the wrap tunic are displayed either on the shoulders or the cuffs, not both.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I guess this fits here, as others have pointed out in other threads it would be nice to have the female version of the TOS dress uniform as worn by Aareel Shaw in Court Martial (pic1) (pic2). It uses pieces that are similar to other outfits, so it shouldn't be too much work to implement. Note that the "flower" she is wearing is the insignia for the starbase and would simply be replaced by whatever existing insignia a player would want.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    captrob wrote: »
    I guess this fits here, as others have pointed out in other threads it would be nice to have the female version of the TOS dress uniform as worn by Aareel Shaw in Court Martial (pic1) (pic2). It uses pieces that are similar to other outfits, so it shouldn't be too much work to implement. Note that the "flower" she is wearing is the insignia for the starbase and would simply be replaced by whatever existing insignia a player would want.

Thank you :) Updated the first post.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    • The current male jumpers seem to be utilising the pattern from the JJTrek uniforms. The TOS uniforms had no seams on them anywhere save the collar, as if they were woven as one piece in the final shape.

This is incorrect. I think you need to watch more of the episodes and not rely on still images where the details cannot be seen clearly. The TOS uniforms clearly had seems on them right where they are on the in-game models. The seems also folded inward, as they do in-game, not outward as they do in JJTrek. The only difference with the in-game models is that the seems stand out a little more than they did in the series most of the time.

Watch Season One, you'll see.

More bugs for you to post. Some of these may have been mentioned already.

Bajoran Militia Uniform Issues:

1. General Epaulets (and pips) are not color-able and are gold by default. Really, if they are not going to be color-able then they should at least be the right color, Silver. The best idea would be to make them color-able, like every other rank pip in the game.

2. The decorative cut-out on the Belt is wrong. It should be three slits in a diagonal pattern, not vertical.

3. The Male version of both uniform tops is wrong. At the point where the shoulder color goes under the arms it should dip slightly in the same way as the Female versions of the uniforms.

4. There is no Medical variant of the uniform. Kira's jumpsuit variants we can wait on, but leaving out the Medical variant is just short sighted.

Persistent Costume Bugs:

1. The TNG uniform still folds badly when using the Thoughtful stance.

2. The Orion Harnesses cannot be used with the Bare Chest options for Orion Males. See these guides: Orion Male 1 and Orion Male 2. These are based on Orion outfits as seen in Enterprise and are nearly identical to the ones you can currently see in-game in the Stranded in Space mission. Also, using them with any kind of Armor causes very bad clipping and total obscuration of some parts of the Harnesses.

3. The General pips on the Enterprise uniform should appear on Both Sides. There must be something you can do to assure that a badge will not appear in the same place.

4. Pattern Bug on the Wraparound Robe

5. Still missing proper Belt, Pants, Boots and Baldric (Worn over left shoulder, not right) for TOS Klingon uniforms. Also still missing the Female variant.

6. WoK uniform is in desperate need of a revamp, especially the Belt. The current buckle looks flimsy and cheap. It should look more substantial, like this. Also, Rank pins should be adjustable and a full variety of the uniforms from WoK through UC could justify another pack to sell on the C-Store.

:cool:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    This is incorrect. I think you need to watch more of the episodes and not rely on still images where the details cannot be seen clearly. The TOS uniforms clearly had seems on them right where they are on the in-game models. The seems also folded inward, as they do in-game, not outward as they do in JJTrek. The only difference with the in-game models is that the seems stand out a little more than they did in the series most of the time.

Watch Season One, you'll see.

I'm going off of reports, just like this one.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I have to ammend the Commbadge appearance issue. It only happens on the female toons that range from endowed to "HOLY ****!" :p
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I dont know if it has been spotted here already. The tuxedo from the 19th or 20th century pack from the c-store for men, does clip when you turn left or right.

For testing purposes turn the jacket black and all thats underneath white.

I dont know from which stance this was, but probably normal or relaxed.

And the body itself was nothing rediculous. Quite standard.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Can we get the more acurarte rank pips as seen in the TNG. I attached an example, the Rerar admiral square thing is horrible. Also we need a realistic gold and silver colors.

Thanks Cryptic

http://www.st-spike.org/pages/uniforms/2373-2394/ranks.htm
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Jonas801 wrote:
    I dont know if it has been spotted here already. The tuxedo from the 19th or 20th century pack from the c-store for men, does clip when you turn left or right.

For testing purposes turn the jacket black and all thats underneath white.

I dont know from which stance this was, but probably normal or relaxed.

And the body itself was nothing rediculous. Quite standard.

Anything with multiple layers tends to clip quite badly. Stance and body shape and movement (especially movement) will exacerbate this. An example is wearing the veteran jacket over something as simple and slim as tight trousers like the 7 of 9 leotard. Combining those two on a slim female avatar in the "seductive" stance will have her hips and glutes poking out through the base of the jacket.
    bos142 wrote: »
    Can we get the more acurarte rank pips as seen in the TNG. I attached an example, the Rerar admiral square thing is horrible. Also we need a realistic gold and silver colors.

Thanks Cryptic

http://www.st-spike.org/pages/uniforms/2373-2394/ranks.htm

The current TNG rank pins look pretty much spot on from my perspective. Could you be more illustrative with your description so I can understand what you are trying to assert?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Vice Admiral jacket does not have an option for the fleet logo patch, the option completely disappears when the jacket is selected.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Valiant797 wrote: »
    Vice Admiral jacket does not have an option for the fleet logo patch, the option completely disappears when the jacket is selected.

Added.

Also, and this is directed to everyone, there is a section labelled Starfleet Uniform Requests. If anyone has any uniform requests for Starfleet, I'll add them there. If anyone has any KDF uniform requests, I'll add them to the end of the KDF uniform section.