test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lets Design the 650 meter length Constitution Class for 25th century!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
So in that other thread arguing about old ships existing in current era, I forget who said it, but the idea of having a Connie the size of a Sovereign really stuck with me.

So, lets all design it! STO is fine with saying that new tech is in the current Connies, so lets super size that bad boy with 4 weapon slots fore and aft!

The discussion here is, what minor tweaks visually and internally should she have? Im a purist, so I dont want the overall design changed too much. When she comes at you in space, it needs to be VERY obvious its a super sized Connie.

Questions to consider:

Should the saucer section feature full phaser arcs like the Enterprise D on the ventral and dorsal sides of the saucer section?

Deflector Dish: Something more like the Enterprise D (while still having the same round shape viewing it from the front) or keep that Direct TV dish sticking out in the front?

More windows on the saucer? An obvious Ten Forward in the front?

What tweaks to the nacelles? Do we keep the shape, yet show glowing strips along the sides like the D nacelles (sorry, too lazy to get into technobable, writing this at work :D) Do we keep the round bubble nose of the nacelles, yet split the sphere into two sections to look like two different ram scoops? (You know what I mean, lol)

Can we even still SAY its a Constitution class if we keep the hull design and dimensions to 98% of the original, yet we super sized it?

Should it be more 1701 or 1701 A?

What should the bridge look like?

Does it feature a tad more girth in the neck?

Does the saucer separate?

Id love to see some of you sketch some stuff out and submit it. Id love to see this ship as a Tier 5 option to fly to match the Sovereign. If the old Connie design is so fantastic that Cryptic says we can put new guts in it, than super size that bad boy to take down some Nehg vars!

Discuss!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    ah you people and your connie why can't you just accept that it's centuries old and out of date it has as much place in the 25th cent as a current nasa space shuttle :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    How about not? The connie is old, and doesn't belong.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yay another one of these threads. :D

*gets out popcorn, waits for Devs*
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    What? Im not a Connie lover, I could take it or leave it. Just looking for a compromise to the other thread. Cryptic started it when they say its new guts in the old tiny hulls. So, lets have the best of both worlds, old lovable design, super sized and on par with Sovereigns? Id be happy to jump into that chair.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    An anachronism—from the Greek ανά (ana: up, against, back, re-) and χρόνος (chronos: time)—is an accidental or deliberate inconsistency in some chronological arrangement, especially a chronological misplacing of persons, events, objects, or customs in regard to each other. The item is often an object, but may be a verbal expression, a technology, a philosophical idea, a musical style, a material, a custom, or anything else so closely associated with a particular period in time that it would be incorrect to place it outside its proper domain. A representation of something as existing or occurring at other than its proper time in history.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    AGNT009 wrote: »
    What? Im not a Connie lover, I could take it or leave it. Just looking for a compromise to the other thread. Cryptic started it when they say its new guts in the old tiny hulls. So, lets have the best of both worlds, old lovable design, super sized and on par with Sovereigns? Id be happy to jump into that chair.

That ain't a compromise, now instead of seeing a Connie blow up a Sovereign, the anti refitters get to see a huge, more in your face Connie blow up a Sovereign.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    No.

This part is blank.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That ain't a compromise, now instead of seeing a Connie blow up a Sovereign, the anti refitters get to see a huge, more in your face Connie blow up a Sovereign.

At least the pain of defeat wouldnt sting so bad if the Connie that pwned you was the same size as you and carried the same amount of weapon slots.

As I implied in the other thread, Kirk would gizz himself to command a Connie that size.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Lufia wrote:
    ah you people and your connie why can't you just accept that it's centuries old and out of date it has as much place in the 25th cent as a current nasa space shuttle :rolleyes:

I want a space shuttle skin for my Defiant.

TYVM for that idea. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Thats not what I mean or want at all. Those are MASSIVE redesigns only hinting at a Connie. They are by no means Connies. Im saying do not deviate more than 2% from the original external specs. Those ships deviate 80%! The Excaliber is ugly IMO too. That new design is good.

I think after I get around to drawing my take on the Enterprise F, I'll draw my opinion of a Connie in my new cad program I bought one week before the F contest deadline, and didnt have time to learn the program and submit something.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    At least the pain of defeat wouldnt sting so bad if the Connie that pwned you was the same size as you and carried the same amount of weapon slots.

As I implied in the other thread, Kirk would gizz himself to command a Connie that size.

So what your saying is that...

If people see this as upsetting

Connie vs Sovereign 1

They will see this as less upsetting?

Connie vs Sovereign 2

I get the feeling that isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Lufia wrote:

Ummm...the Refit Constitution class (same as in STMP and TWoK) is currently available and in game for LCDR's to select as a cruiser hull at Tier 2. But you knew that, eh? :)

So give the man a TOS or STMP skin for his T5 cruiser and let his adversaries beware. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Connie vs Sovereign 1

Connie vs Sovereign 2

LOL, looking at it from that perspective (2) does make it seem comical, I'll admit. But hey, why not, lol.
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Connie vs Sovereign 1

Connie vs Sovereign 2

HAHA! These pics made me laugh! Thank you for that :D
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    LOL, looking at it from that perspective (2) does make it seem comical, I'll admit. But hey, why not, lol.

Because it looks even dumber and more in your face then before.

I may be against it, but making it bigger doesn't make it better, it makes it worse.

HAHA! These pics made me laugh! Thank you for that :D

Thats what is in my brain when he mentioned his idea. Its so lol :D
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok, Im STILL laughing. I admit defeat...and continue LMFAO over that second picture.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok, Im STILL laughing. I admit defeat...and continue LMFAO over that second picture.

You and me both!

William can you do the same thing for the TOS Shuttle?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You and me both!

William can you do the same thing for the TOS Shuttle?

Shuttle vs sovereign?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Shuttle vs sovereign?

Well maybe a Super TOS Shuttle vs ESD?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Still laughing so hard in fact its bringing a tear to my eye. Never laughed so hard at getting pwned so hard. What was I thinking :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Because you asked nicely :D

Shuttle Vs Sovereign 1

Shuttle Vs Sovereign 2

I can't decide which looks better? :D

Still laughing so hard in fact its bringing a tear to my eye. Never laughed so hard at getting pwned so hard. What was I thinking :rolleyes:

Thank you. Don't worry about it, sometimes ideas are very good in theory, but not very good in practicality. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Lufia wrote:

Why cant you understand it isnt centuries old if its a brand NEW ship

Really, its not like they went to the great ship junk yard in orbit around saturn and said, "Grab all the old TRIBBLE". They said, "hey Shipyard, make me a new ship, with all the latest bells and whistles" that LOOKS like a connie.

As far as the OP goes, I'm too a purest, but many like the 1701-A, so i think it should just be a general shape/design, and have all the customization modules from all the kits. This would allow great customization, and still say "hey I'm a connie pvp people" and allow the use of the current tier5/6 console layout. This would eliminate any balance issues, or keep it as status quo i should say, as the new ships would conform to whats already available in game.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Because you asked nicely :D

Shuttle Vs Sovereign 1

Shuttle Vs Sovereign 2

I can't decide which looks better? :D

LMAO! Thank you so much! :D
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    LMAO! Thank you so much! :D

Always happy to please, which do you think is funnier? :D
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Always happy to please, which do you think is funnier? :D

Honestly....they both are just too ridiculous haha. I love them both the same :D
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    No large Connies please! This from a old TOS fan . The Constitution and the Intrepid class from Voyager were both of a believable size for Exploration.The Galaxcy was so big because they started taking their familys with them so had to act as a small city. lol Like UN Spacy Macross:) Romulan ships were Huge because the boneheaded writers had to creat a believable foil for Enterprise D but forgot the reason for the size in the first place.
    Its ok to be Huge if you're a Battleship/carrier flagship etc...but would such ships be sent months away from your space when you were surounded by hostile neighbors? Sorry for ranting but no 70 deck Connies(Star Trek 5) please.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TrentTyler wrote: »
    Why cant you understand it isnt centuries old if its a brand NEW ship

Really, its not like they went to the great ship junk yard in orbit around saturn and said, "Grab all the old TRIBBLE". They said, "hey Shipyard, make me a new ship, with all the latest bells and whistles" that LOOKS like a connie.

As far as the OP goes, I'm too a purest, but many like the 1701-A, so i think it should just be a general shape/design, and have all the customization modules from all the kits. This would allow great customization, and still say "hey I'm a connie pvp people" and allow the use of the current tier5/6 console layout. This would eliminate any balance issues, or keep it as status quo i should say, as the new ships would conform to whats already available in game.

then there would be no point in creating a new design for cruiser in the first place they could just build "new" connies forever think for a moment there a reason why they scrapped the design in the first place :p
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Lufia wrote:
    then there would be no point in creating a new design for cruiser in the first place they could just build "new" connies forever think for a moment there a reason why they scrapped the design in the first place :p

Actually, the main reason they scrapped the design is because if Star Trek: The Next Generation had featured exactly the same ship only 100 years later, most viewers would have gotten bored. The brand new and sleek always wins out over "been there, done that".

Also the reason why the Enterprise was refitted for the Motion Picture.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Lufia wrote:

they haven't scrapped the design, unless the federation cruisers have changed the basic lay out and I'm unaware of it. Just the look of it, the design is still valid, We still have a saucer, neck, primary hull, two uprights, and two warp nacelles. Wheres the design scrap?
This discussion has been closed.