Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Don't forget to add VAT you UK folk.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Neal wrote:
    Don't forget to add VAT you UK folk.

This is likely why Cryptic doesn't list many currencies - they probably have different pay providers in different areas and different countries have different taxes and other fees on purchases. :p

Google is a good benchmark then add regional taxes.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanks Dan though that's not entirely what I'm asking.

What I'm asking is if there is a Lifetime subscription fee discount for UK players and if so, is the discounted fee determined by the exchange rate or the current amount advertised for UK lifetime subscribers.

Examples:

If its done by Exchange rate then the lifetime subscription fee including discount will be roughly £140 which is roughly $239 (The US discounted LTS)

If its 20% off the stated and current UK lifetime subscription fee, then the discounted price will be £160.

This is, of course if the discount extends beyond the US region.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dondaddyd wrote: »
    That's not what I'm asking.

What I'm asking is if there is a Lifetime subscription fee discount for UK players and if so, is the discounted fee determined by the exchange rate or the current amount advertised for UK lifetime subscribers.

Examples:

If its done by Exchange rate then the lifetime subscription fee including discount will be roughly £140 which is roughly $239 (The US discounted LTS)

If its 20% off the stated and current UK lifetime subscription fee, then the discounted price will be £160.

This is, of course if the discount extends beyond the US region.

It's likely to carry the same exchange rate that it did before.

However, I'd recommend PM'ing Stormshade, Rekhan, Rehpic, etc.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    They're announcing the reduction early too. :)

I would guess that the one year anniversary would have a welcome back weekend - if I were a ferengi.

I hope they save that promotion for the Foundry's release.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This is likely why Cryptic doesn't list many currencies - they probably have different pay providers in different areas and different countries have different taxes and other fees on purchases. :p

Google is a good benchmark then add regional taxes.

To be honest Cryptic's lack of inforamtion is a little annoying.

I'm reluctant to go by exchange rate because if I was to buy a lifetime subscription today, $299 would be £188.51. According to my account details Cryptic are charging £192.49.

If it was £188.51 plus VAT (20%) it would actually be £226.21 (which is quite good). This also raises the question, how does Cryptic determine their UK pricing/VAT?

But the real question is, will the LTS discount be 20% on £192.49 making it £153.99. Because if it is I'd be all over that, like Rike on Troi.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    But the real question is, will the LTS discount be 20% on £192.49 making it £153.99. Because if it is I'd be all over that, like Rike on Troi.

Or Worf on Jadzia. Qapla!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Some girls like it rough.

PM'ed Rehpic, lets hope I go lifer.

But even then it opens its own can'o'worms. What if I go lifer and then the game goes regional and then I can't play with all my friends from my fleet. Something like that would make me want to leave....
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Some girls like it rough.

PM'ed Rehpic, lets hope I go lifer.

But even then it opens its own can'o'worms. What if I go lifer and then the game goes regional and then I can't play with all my friends from my fleet. Something like that would make me want to leave....

Might want to fire off another PM.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ah heck.

The regional thing does beg the question about the future of the game IMO.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ah heck.

The regional thing does beg the question about the future of the game IMO.

The regional thing? The last time they were told their foreign currency pricing was off they adjusted the prices.

VAT differs in each European country.

UK: 20%
    DE: 19%
    FR: 19.6%

In Russia I tihnk their VAT is somewhere near 23%. It's not reasonable to expect a small company with a predominantly US subscriber base to keep track of currency conversion (which changes all the time) and VAT for multiple countries.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This is the price it was at right when the game launched...I almost bought it then, but bought the annual sub instead...not knowing if I was even going to still be playing after a year.

I don't think I can buy it at this point...I may cancel my annual and just pay every other month or something.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Not worth it - already get 60 days for the price of 30 - by the time this pays off the game will be free anyway.

Yes, I'm also thinking this is a likely possibility.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Not worth it - already get 60 days for the price of 30 - by the time this pays off the game will be free anyway.
    and if it goes free, you'll be getting 400 c-store points a month.

meaning, you might recoup the entire investment in that alone.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Is this set in stone? Or are we speculating that we will?
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Sounds good, but do you know that for absolutely sure or is it guesswork
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Is this set in stone? Or are we speculating that we will?

Not in stone becuase there's no set-in-stone policy whether STO will even go F2P.
    However, Champions Online is doing that this month with F2P.

I assume Champions' policies regarding this would carry over. Not that big of an assumption, right?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Not in stone. However, Champions Online is doing that this month with F2P.

I assume Champions' policies regarding this would carry over. Not that big of an assumption, right?

There is the possibility of something different, the two games have separate Exec producers after all, and furthermore it depends on how successful the Champions online F2P is as to whether STO goes in the same direction
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    There is the possibility of something different, the two games have separate Exec producers after all, and furthermore it depends on how successful the Champions online F2P is

Yes, but I assume we all understood this considering there's no idea whether STO is even going F2P. :)

On the gradient of truth, this is closer to being likely than any other model - since it is used by Cryptic and was also influenced by Turbine's similar lifer set-up.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Your assuming that there is over $200 worth of stuff in the C-Store that this person actually wants and has not purchased yet.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Talonsin wrote: »
    Your assuming that there is over $200 worth of stuff in the C-Store that this person actually wants and has not purchased yet.

Yes.

However, since there's no announcement of STO going F2P, I had also assumed that this is all assumption.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    hhmmm....

compared to the current 6-month subscription, it would take 18.47 months to break even. 17.15 months to break even with the 3-month, or 16.01 months to break even with the 1-month subscription.

So the question for me is if I'll still be playing this in July 2012? Probably... at least if I were to get it it would be preferable to do so now while I can afford it. Come June my son will be born and I wont be able to afford much more than food and diapers lol

p.s.
    I'm gonna be a daddy!:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    p.s. I'm gonna be a daddy!:D:D:D:D

Congratulations
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    p.s.
    I'm gonna be a daddy!
    mazeltov! :)
  • Options
    edited January 2011

LOL. Sure but they'll use the CO F2P model. And typing as someone who was in the CO F2P beta (and I was)... you'll hate Silver if you're used to Gold.

"Free" sometimes isn't quite all it's cracked up to be. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    it kind of seems cryptics ftp is a kick TRIBBLE demo that will hopefully get people to subscribe
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Mikus wrote:
    LOL. Sure but they'll use the CO F2P model. And typing as someone who was in the CO F2P beta (and I was)... you'll hate Silver if you're used to Gold.

"Free" sometimes isn't quite all it's cracked up to be. ;)

+1 on this, but the ones that has never played CO will be happy with the Silver version. I was surprised while playing the Silver version on how much of the game and stuff was available for free compared to the Gold version that I got upgraded to later on because of my LTS in CO.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=3277832#post3277832