Install Arc
Options

STF Borg Part Pictures

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    vincire wrote: »
    You can't forsake the bulk of your subscribers for the betterment of the few "hardcore" players this game has. You'll only create an "Us vs. Them" scenario that does nobody any good what-so-ever. This is especially true for situations where you introduce new and very cool facets to your game that is essentially blocks out a good portion of your community just by how said content is designed. I agree that this game needs some good group content, but it doesn't need "raidesque" only hardcore players need apply content. That will only do the damage of forcing the community apart; and players to leave the game.

I'm not forsaking the rest. As I said in my post I believe the majority of stuff should be available for everyone. My entire case is that there should be a special shiny for these people that put in more effort. Also in my post I covered that there should be a power imbalance. As long as these Borg pieces aren't end-all be all items, it's just the cosmetic effect that really differentiated them.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm not forsaking the rest. As I said in my post I believe the majority of stuff should be available for everyone. My entire case is that there should be a special shiny for these people that put in more effort. Also in my post I covered that there should be a power imbalance. As long as these Borg pieces aren't end-all be all items, it's just the cosmetic effect that really differentiated them.

Why? Why should a small subset of players gain access to the Borg Parts in thie example just so they can feel special? Like I said, STF content should reward special things but it's the STF design that is severely flawed in contrast to how this game has been developed. STFs design needs to be rethought so that they are attractive to pugs, and the majority subscriber and not push them away. This game does not need WoWesque content or that whole mentality that comes with "Hardcore" content.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Why? Why should a small subset of players gain access to the Borg Parts in thie example just so they can feel special? Like I said, STF content should reward special things but it's the STF design that is severely flawed in contrast to how this game has been developed. STFs design needs to be rethought so that they are attractive to pugs, and the majority subscriber and not push them away. This game does not need WoWesque content or that whole mentality that comes with "Hardcore" content.

It's not that. It's to talk anyone who's capable of doing STFs into doing them.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Why? Why should a small subset of players gain access to the Borg Parts in thie example just so they can feel special?

Because they put in the effort. In my philosophy, accomplisment equals reward. These players that go through the STFs put in a ton of effort and thus they should get a reward relative to that effort, not just more bridge officer skill points.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I do all the currently functioning STF's quite regularly as do more than a few others... They are not hard if you can play as a team....
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    You you're trying to PuG these things they are extremely frustrating which is contrary to how this game has been designed. This is a problem in their design philosophy that needs to be fixed. STFs could be a great tool in getting folks together who might not have otherwise played in a group at all. Unfortunately, Cryptic seems hell bent on trying to incorporate the flawed raid mentality.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    You you're trying to PuG these things they are extremely frustrating which is contrary to how this game has been designed. This is a problem in their design philosophy that needs to be fixed. STFs could be a great tool in getting folks together who might not have otherwise played in a group at all. Unfortunately, Cryptic seems hell bent on trying to incorporate the flawed raid mentality.

I wouldn't call it flawed, it just needs tweaking. I've seem many suggest a queue system similar to the PvP queues, which would help people get teams for the STFs, decreasing the frustration.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    You should have a few friends to play with.... that was the intent of the design... if you can't find any friends or do not care to that is another subject.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm looking forward to this as I got Borg Capt's and BO's in both factions and have given female Fed BO's the 7 of 9 parts.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I do all the currently functioning STF's quite regularly as do more than a few others... They are not hard if you can play as a team....

That may be the understatement of the year. :D

For what it is worth, I keep waiting for the Cryptic to come out with "trainer" STFs for the lower ranks to ease people into the whole teamwork mode.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    .Spartan wrote: »
    That may be the understatement of the year. :D

Not really. As I've preaching from my high horse in many a thread; doing it with fleetmates makes it not only easy, but fun. This is an MMO. Once I learned to embrace the other people around me I found the STFs to be a great way to bond with my fellow warriors.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    STF's being un-doable is a Myth plain and simple. You need a team, some knowledge of tactics, and some patience and commitment of time. That's it. This is an old subject and should not be debated here.

Are they difficult and tedious? Of course they are. Are they challenging? To a novice.. Absolutely... To a hardcore STF vet? Not Really, but I still need a good team regardless of anything I myself can do... that is the whole point... STF's are a team effort and players should get used to the fact that they will have to be a little social and spend some real time to finish the STF's
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Instead of adding some gossomer and or grotesque growth to these, add a 'Borg Pattern' to the pattern drop down. While I want Borg Green Nacells, funky pylons, glowy hull, and borg effects on my saucer, I don't want to look like an Assault Cruiser catfish.
    Sort of like the assimilated textures from Star Trek Armada 2?
    While I rather like the overall idea of the borgification of ships, I must say that the design I'm seeing in these pics are... problematic from an in universe point of view. I realize that they are intended to be evocative of the Narada, but if you think about it, the design of the Narada wasn't very logical. According to the backstory, the Naradas changes came were largely automated, by the tech itself, while Nero and company were in prison.
    The underlying thing about Borg tech is that it's not pretty. It's not designed to look good or bad or scary or anything but functional. Consider the Borg vessels. Cubes, Spheres and Tetrahedrons. Pure horrifying purpose rendered in geometric precision with no consideration towards aesthetics, conventional or otherwise.
    Therefor, the Narada should never have looked the way it does if the designers had actually thought about what they were doing. Not to say I didn't like the movie, I just hated the irrational designs, interior and exterior that the production designers put forth.
    Now, back to the original topic. As far as the assimilation of vessels go, would it not make more sense to, say, add another pattern, as was suggested above, and change the overall design of each device in such a way as to evoke a feeling of the vessel slowly becoming a Borg Cube or Sphere? Say, have the bow of whatever ship you attach these to become blocky, or more bulky? Perhaps a squaring of rounded edges?
    Of course, this is all merely my opinion, so....

Well, it's not as if the chunky, irregular addon bits are completely unprecedented. While Borg ships are pretty basic in overall design, the Borg themselves do incorporate a lot of sorta-fractal randomness, from the surface detailing on their hulls to the internal layout of their ships (except in First Contact, when they're giant tori) to the Unicomplex. Besides, it does kind of fit with the designed of the assimilated transport from Enterprise, which is the only time we've seen an assimilated starship on the show.
    Then again, I always assumed that when roving drones assimilate a ship, it's their usual modus operandi to upgrade it for transwarp flight as fast as possible, find a nearby conduit, and zip it back to base/cube to be disassembled and integrated into the collective as need dictates.

Besides, you could make the argument that these are just limited pieces of Borg tech that have been carefully modified by Starfleet engineers to prevent them from eating your ship.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Good lord, the ship parts on the fron are 5 billion light years seperate from ugly or hideous! They don't begin to describe the amount of eye bleach I need to wash that sight away! :eek:
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Zanshi wrote: »
    Good lord, the ship parts on the fron are 5 billion light years seperate from ugly or hideous! They don't begin to describe the amount of eye bleach I need to wash that sight away! :eek:

Then I guess you're glad they're optional graphics. :cool:
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    DKeith2011 wrote:
    Yeah, gonna have to find the time and motivation to do the STFs now.

Unless the Devs are kind enough to include a solo earnable version. *hint hint*

Oh, God I hope not. That would just cheapen the whole experience, and prove yet again that Cryptic doesn't give a rat's behind for anyone looking for anything hardcore in this game, or care about anyone who wants a reason to play this game.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Not really. As I've preaching from my high horse in many a thread; doing it with fleetmates makes it not only easy, but fun. This is an MMO. Once I learned to embrace the other people around me I found the STFs to be a great way to bond with my fellow warriors.

And this is why Cryptic's abandonment of STF's as endgame content is so horrifying. People have been accustomed to Cryptic not caring about endgame content, and them constantly caving to every subtle whim of the forum posters that people KNOW a nerf is going to come, or that the cool item they 'have' to do a certain mission for can be more easily attained by other means, cash shop or otherwise.

Nobody 'needs' to do STF's for anything, and Cryptic wonders why nobody plays them. I bet they'll be surprised at how many people play them with these added as an STF reward. The numbers will jump so high, that I bet they might actually want more.

But, as usual, Cryptic will TRIBBLE it up. They'll make this reward attainable in the easier, soloable versions they're making, and/or they'll make it so you can grind B'Tran enough times to get them all. Then they'll wonder why all the hard work they put into fixing/finishing the STF's went to waste again.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Because they put in the effort. In my philosophy, accomplisment equals reward. These players that go through the STFs put in a ton of effort and thus they should get a reward relative to that effort, not just more bridge officer skill points.

Absolutely true. However, I'm convinced that the average STO player thinks they should just be given access to all of the cool stuff the moment they finish the tutorial.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Because the idea of doing "work" in a video game defeats the purpose. Games are meant to be entertainment; fun. If they feel like a part-time job, then there is something seriously wrong the design. For those of us with demanding real-lives, the concept of mandatory "work" within something that we should find "fun" kills the experience. For me personally, this is one of the reasons I absolutely hate raiding in games like WoW and current STF design in STO; they feel like part-time jobs.

There's a difference between putting in 40 hours at a job and ripping your teeth out at a game to get something you need and what we're proposing here - that you get the cool stuff by actually doing something marginally difficult in it's base setting.

What's the point in getting new gear if it's just handed to you? It's not like you need it for the easy stuff you do anyways, since this gear is meant to make STF's easier. Why should you get gear to make STF's easier if you don't want to do STF's anyway? This game is already /faceroll, and you want it moreso without doing anything to earn it?

Don't tell me about "real lives," either. I'm married with two kids. I work 50+ hours at my job, and my wife works 40+ at hers, and between the two of us, we BARELY have enough money to keep the apartment we're in. I don't have the time to put into a game that just rewards everyone who whines enough on the forums that stuff's "too hard" in-game, so they should just be given everything.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    There's a difference between putting in 40 hours at a job and ripping your teeth out at a game to get something you need and what we're proposing here - that you get the cool stuff by actually doing something marginally difficult in it's base setting.

What's the point in getting new gear if it's just handed to you? It's not like you need it for the easy stuff you do anyways, since this gear is meant to make STF's easier. Why should you get gear to make STF's easier if you don't want to do STF's anyway? This game is already /faceroll, and you want it moreso without doing anything to earn it?

Don't tell me about "real lives," either. I'm married with two kids. I work 50+ hours at my job, and my wife works 40+ at hers, and between the two of us, we BARELY have enough money to keep the apartment we're in. I don't have the time to put into a game that just rewards everyone who whines enough on the forums that stuff's "too hard" in-game, so they should just be given everything.

Why the condescension? Most casual players are not asking for hand-outs. They are asking for the means to such content and it's rewards to be compatible with their play style. I agree that this game needs group content but STFs are developed in such a way as to be incompatible with their majority subscriber. This needs to change since STO is a very casual game. It's not "whining"; it's a fact.

The real issue I have with STFs is that the overhead is too high for many of us to even experience the content at all. Using myself as an example, my playtimes are sporadic and random. There is just no way I will be able to schedule time to run these things with a dedicated team; as STFs require. I am sure that there are many like me who don't want to schedule their lives around a video game either. This is why STFs need to be both pug'able and enjoyable for said pug so that they remain appealing and viable for as many players as possible; not just "special" content to hardcores.

This gam is in big trouble the moment we start going down the path that creates an "Us vs. Them" paradigm.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Why the condescension? Most casual players are not asking for hand-outs. They are asking for the means to such content and it's rewards to be compatible with their play style. I agree that this game needs group content but STFs are developed in such a way as to be incompatible with their majority subscriber. This needs to change since STO is a very casual game. It's not "whining"; it's a fact.

The real issue I have with STFs is that the overhead is too high for many of us to even experience the content at all. Using myself as an example, my playtimes are sporadic and random. There is just no way I will be able to schedule time to run these things with a dedicated team; as STFs require. I am sure that there are many like me who don't want to schedule their lives around a video game either. This is why STFs need to be both pug'able and enjoyable for said pug so that they remain appealing and viable for as many players as possible; not just "special" content to hardcores.

This gam is in big trouble the moment we start going down the path that creates an "Us vs. Them" paradigm.

Hmm sounds like facebook games are the games you seek then.

They made one of the borg items a mission "pve content reward" the rest are all stf's, iam sorry and I dont mean to be too blunt about this but... if you dont like it well iam sorry, those stfs require rewards like anything else in the game that attracts players to them. Obviously its attracting enouph attention all over the forums which is great and is showing that people will go in the end just to get them. If your work is sooo chaotic, iam sorry to hear that. But theres just more then you playing this game. Not everyone is like you, so dont assume that theres alot of people like you in game. Until you can provide numbers then you cant say that, and Iam not saying there isnt eather... WE DONT KNOW. Only people that will know are the devs when they see how many people will be doing the STF's and I betcha any dollar there will be high numbers.

There will be more rewards like this in the future, it has been said, and I bet it may be through some cluster episodes or what have you, just have to wait and see. But these rewards are for STF's and for players who play them.

ps. I went on today to get the "assimilation mission" reward and also tryed to get the infected one too. When I went to do infected with my group, the WHOLE space sector and in only one instance. WAS FILLED of people, just fyi
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hmm sounds like facebook games are the games you seek then.

Are insults really necessary? Facebook games? Really?
    They made one of the borg items a mission "pve content reward" the rest are all stf's, iam sorry and I dont mean to be too blunt about this but... if you dont like it well iam sorry, those stfs require rewards like anything else in the game that attracts players to them. Obviously its attracting enouph attention all over the forums which is great and is showing that people will go in the end just to get them. If your work is sooo chaotic, iam sorry to hear that. But theres just more then you playing this game. Not everyone is like you, so dont assume that theres alot of people like you in game. Until you can provide numbers then you cant say that, and Iam not saying there isnt eather... WE DONT KNOW. Only people that will know are the devs when they see how many people will be doing the STF's and I betcha any dollar there will be high numbers.

There will be more rewards like this in the future, it has been said, and I bet it may be through some cluster episodes or what have you, just have to wait and see. But these rewards are for STF's and for players who play them.

ps. I went on today to get the "assimilation mission" reward and also tryed to get the infected one too. When I went to do infected with my group, the WHOLE space sector and in only one instance. WAS FILLED of people, just fyi

My stance isna't against STFs; but against how they are curently designed but I guess it's useless to argue with tunnel-vision hardcores who want content only for themselves where as casuals want content that's accessible to everyone.

If STFs remain as they are, I know that I wll cease playing this game.
  • Options
    edited December 2010

My stance isna't against STFs; but against how they are curently designed but I guess it's useless to argue with tunnel-vision hardcores who want content only for themselves where as casuals want content that's accessible to everyone.

99% of the game is accessible to everyone.
    I see no reason why there cannot be content designed for a group of advanced gamers.

And it would be kind of silly to ragequit over only 4 missions.
  • Options
    edited December 2010

First off it wasnt an insult, if you took it as one iam sorry, it was merely a suggestion. If your that busy with work and dont have enouph time to play a game, they are easy to do, and when you return bam you collect all your goodies and fyi i play them myself, some of them are pretty nice!

How they are designed.....

Do you have more then 5 people you know in this game, if so...frankly its really easy form up a team, and do a stf togeather. You may die a few times here or there but with a little practice..like anything in life youll get the hang of it. Just make sure not to put it on advanced or elite like us "hardcore players". If you dont know more then 5 look for me, ill gladly give you some assistance even after your post, at stfs.

The stfs are accessible by everyone, well let me rephrase that, as long as you have a Rear Admiral toon, if not then youll have to wait like every other player has in this game to access them.

Stf's are being reworked and going over by Gozer with a magnifying glass. So iam sure there will be no bugs "crosses fingers" by launch of season3.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Alexraptor wrote: »
    99% of the game is accessible to everyone.
    I see no reason why there cannot be content designed for a group of advanced gamers.

And it would be kind of silly to ragequit over only 4 missions.

Content should never be locked out to the majority subscriber. That's just bad business especially since it's been said that STF missions are more costly than your average mission. That's also bad ROI. If Cryptic wants to start alienating their customers, putting really cool features into content inaccessible to most of their players is a great way to do that.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Content should never be locked out to the majority subscriber. That's just bad business especially since it's been said that STF missions are more costly than your average mission. That's also bad ROI. If Cryptic wants to start alienating their customers, putting really cool features into content inaccessible to most of their players is a great way to do that.

How would you propose that they get you to play content that is difficult and requires you to re-learn and change how you play?
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Its only locked to players who arnt over the Rear Admiral level, if you are that then yes, but like EVERY OTHER player does in this game is level there characters. It may take you longer them some to get there but youll be allowed to play the content once you reach the required level to play them

Do you think an ensign should be allowed to have a Vice Admiral jacket if he hasnt reached that level... noo that silly, You have to level to that required level to get the FREE ingame object for your character.

Yes they are costly to do, but they make that up with subscriptions and cstore purchases :)

They are not alienating anyone, maybe you it seems which Iam sorry to see, but an old saying my mother told me, cant make everyone happy.

And most players by now are Rear Admiral and above... so I would assume that a good chunk of players have access to all STF's by now.

ps.. just seen on your sig
    Vice Admiral Inviticus :: Liberated Borg
    Acting Captain
    U.S.S Diomedes-B - Excelsior Class Refit

so yes you have access to the content, you are vice admiral :)
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    so yes you have access to the content, you are vice admiral :)

To be clear, I mean access by how the content is designed. The STFs are miserable to pug and some take way too long; that's the problem. I'm not saying STFs and group content have no place. I'm saying that the design of STFs is incompatible with the game's core customer i.e the casual gamer.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    To be clear, I mean access by how the content is designed. The STFs are miserable to pug and some take way too long; that's the problem. I'm not saying STFs and group content have no place. I'm saying that the design of STFs is incompatible with the game's core customer i.e the casual gamer.

I played infected today, it got bugged up, but I sent in a ticket regarding the issue and am very confident that itll be fixed soon. We managed to get all the way to the end of the mission, and we had to bale for it being buggy. Ohh well, another day ill tackle it and hopefully get the item I wanted. No biggy. I honestly found the mission ok, had fun chit chatting with friends while playing, may of yelled a little when we couldnt get the win we wanted but meh, cooled down and iam good to go for next time.

If they are miserable to you then Iam sorry, but others find them fun. Your not always going to like the content. Its like my one buddy who plays he HATES, with a passion the Forge, but everyone else loves it. Will he make missions, nope. Is he going to complain about it, nope, its just something he dosnt like and he dosnt have to do it in any way shape or form. Its like some people hate pvp, do they do it nope, theres rewards in doing it, exp, credits but people just dont do it... see where iam going.

If you dont like it thats your own issue. Others do. It was pretty clear to me today how many seeing as the one instance I played in with my group before starting infected was filled of ships, trying to get borg pieces. The design of the stfs to you and what you think are incompatible with the game, but others think the opposite. Casual gamer can mean anything to be frank.

If you want to get the borg stuff and I know you do Mr/Mrs Liberated borg cpt, as per your signature, like everyone else in this game youll play the content, if not then well.... like others who dont like the parts of the game... you just dont do them or get the rewards to go with doing them.

Again, if you dont know alot of players ingame shoot me a message sometime, I run a fleet and we do stf's and would gladly take you on with us. Gotta represent my borg buddys in game by getting them gear :P
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Again, if you dont know alot of players ingame shoot me a message sometime, I run a fleet and we do stf's and would gladly take you on with us. Gotta represent my borg buddys in game by getting them gear :P

I do appreciate that, thanks for the offer.