What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Game Lore TRUMPS Canon

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Quite frankly I wish the so-called "canon-purists" would stop presuming to speak for the Trek community at large about how they are "rejecting" STO.

I would be comfortable pitting myself against anyone when it comes to knowledge of Trek Lore, and I for one am entirely happy with the way they have integrated the game into the "history" of Trek, including a lot of the soft-canon stuff from the bookverse that so many of us know as well.

Honestly, since we left the SNES age, Trek has a long history of frankly pretty terrible games, and the ones that did end up being popular did so mostly because of fan mods. Certainly none of them have come within a lightyear of letting you "live" within the Trek universe until STO. So we're in completely new territory here, and you will have to learn to live some things that don't "fit" because this is not on a game, but an MMO.

Limiting players to Phaser weapons or one uniform choice would be a TERRIBLE IDEA for a game. You already have the choice to do it yourself if you so choose, and quite frankly I get angry when I see one of you come on here and in the HEIGHT of ARROGANCE demand that others play the exact way you want them to, so they subscribe to YOUR view of the universe.

Do us all a favor and let Cryptic and CBS manage the canon issues and focus on your own gameplay.

Obviously having everyone forced to wear the same uniform is a bad idea for an MMO. But I think that the uniform slots should have worked like this:

Everyone has 6 slots for the clothes they can wear

Slot 1 is the default uniform. The one that all the NPCs in the game wear, I think the uniform worn by the guy on the games box cover is the best. You can't modify that uniform at all. As a captain the players uniform colour scheme is red, your crew have the standard red, yellow, blue and teal for the various departments.

Slot 2 is the Dress Uniform. You can't modify that one either. I picture it as a really formal cool looking uniform, sort of like a combination of the Wrath of Khan uniform and the dress uniform from Insurrection, or something. With different uniforms for Officers and NPC NCOs

Slot 3 is the Captains Alternate uniform. There is a precedent in canon for this kind of uniform, in TOS Kirk sometimes wore that green open shirt wrap around thing. In Star Trek III and IV he wore an all red getup. And in TNG Picard sometime wore that red jacket with the black leather shoulders over that blue grey shirt. This one is completely modifiable by the player. If you want your captain's alternate uniform to be the ST Enterprise blue jumpsuit with the Wrath of Khan officer jacket on top with a Klingon sash and a Scottish Kilt then so be it. Colour your uniform what ever you want.

Slot 4, 5, and 6 are Civilian clothes slots. Again you can modify your civilian clothing however you want.

When you join a fleet you unlock an extra costume slot that is for your fleet uniform, it might be another completely original alt. uniform, or it could be the default uniform with the fleet logo patch somewhere on it, it would be up to the fleet bosses to decide what their uniform is.

As for limiting your crew to just phaser weapons. I don't think you should be forced to go with any particular weapon. If you want your Chief Engineer to carry around some massive Klingon disrupter cannon, then by all means. I just think that the simple rifles and hand phasers should be just as effective in their own way, like maybe your crew have a DPS bonus when they use Starfleet weapons.

And as you level up you can get better weapons too. For example you start off with a Standard Issue Starfleet hand phaser and Standard Issue Phaser Rifle. Then you level up so you can use higher level weapons so you go with Mk 1 hand phaser and Mk 1 rifle. All the way to Mk 10, 11 or 12 where ever the skill cap is. But as you level up the phasers still look the same they just do more damage. You can still use a Romulan Tholoran rifle or a Jem'hadar Polaron pistol if you want but the Star Fleet weapons are just as good after you take into account max damage out put, rate of fire, accuracy, range etc.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    STO is SOFT Canon, one of the many possible ways that the future for the series might unfold, the same goes for the Shatnerverse, Millennium, the Relaunch Series, etc.

STO was made for people to experience Star Trek. If they wan it to be in the future, fine, during the TNG or TOS-era, fine. People should have the option to have their favorite ships, weapons, uniforms, species, etc. But they are options, not required, if you want to go around saying that something is "not canon" and trying to ruin the game for a lot of people, fine, go ahead, but don't ruin it for everyone else. Perfect example, the Connie, a LOT of people have been against the Tier 5 Connie. Well, here's the thing, there are a lot of people who want to fly around in their favorite ship during endgame, just because it isn't "canon" by your opinion doesn't mean that you should make someone who wants it suffer. Really, there is nothing in Canon that says old ships can't be refitted (which is the actual term, not retrofit) and used later.

Cryptic should focus on making the players happy, but I also agree there should be a point where they say NO MORE. Like the TOS Connie and NX, they should not be above tier 1, the Fed Carriers, that is just stupid and it degrades the Klingons...again. Canon should be a big part of the game, but not the focus, the focus should be the experience, and making it good for everyone.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I just dont see the use in making the uniforms "more" restricting. Players can already do what you want. I would be fine with a "default" setting being more readily available. but not mandatory. And I think the NPCs around the game should be way more "uniform" as well, even inside of the new "relaxed" standards in our universe.

As for the weapons - I agree that it would be nice to be able to get a Mi XI phaser with a "default" look - but thats not really represented in Trek lore either - even on the movies their phasers varied quite a bit in design. go look up the 4 or 5 variants of Mk II phaser pistols from the TOS movies. So it does make sense for their design to "evolve" as they get more powerful.

And it does make a lot of sense for you to collect neat weapons on your adventures.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The one area I can see where they might stand to make uniforms more restricting (and it would benefit gameplay/server load/bandwidth, I think) is to have the sliders remain consistent across all uniform slots.

Basically going from thin and tall to short and fat is goofy and taxing on the servers since each deformed model a player can access needs to be loaded.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    About the books and canon. The long standing policy was that the books weren't canon. However, after Nemesis bombed the post Nemesis TNG, DS9 and Voyager novels were all we had left of 24th century Star Trek. Then Enterprise was put out of it's misery, and Rick Berman was fired.

It was around this time that Paramount and then CBS clamped down on the Star Trek novels. Before, the Star Trek novels were little more than Fan Fiction. The main rule with the novels was that by the end of the novel, everything had to be exactly like it was before the story began. There could not be any lasting repercussions in a Trek novel. And the books would often contradict each other. After CBS/Paramount clamped down, the novels changed and became known as Relaunch Novels, a term that was first given to the DS9 novels written after the show ended.

Now the Relaunch novels have on going story lines, often a story line is started in a book written by one writer, is continued by other writers, then completed by another. Story arks are planned in advance. And famous planets can be destroyed and important characters can die, and stay dead.

After Nemesis and Enterprise killed the Franchise the general rule has been the Relaunch books are canon, unless a new TV series or movie contradicts them. This was done by Paramount/CBS as a cheap way to continue the Franchise and not have to make expensive TV shows and movies that not enough people want to see (unless it is made by J.J. Abrams).

Not every book is considered canon, the Shatnerverse and a few others aren't. And video games aren't either.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hmm, since this is not canon and it's "just a game", I suggest we do away with the tier system all together. Right from the get go, you can command any ship you want at any rank, with the only restrictions on your ship is what you are able to buy/loot and stick in it. That means when I re-roll a brand new ensign, my nice shiny T5 Sovvy better be there for me to command right after the tutorial. Or hell, why wait? It's "just a game", just give it to me the second I spawn into the universe. I actually quite like this idea. No need to follow any rules or timelines or ranks or whatever else. Just make it fun, because that trumps everything.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hmm, since this is not canon and it's "just a game", I suggest we do away with the tier system all together. Right from the get go, you can command any ship you want at any rank, with the only restrictions on your ship is what you are able to buy/loot and stick in it. That means when I re-roll a brand new ensign, my nice shiny T5 Sovvy better be there for me to command right after the tutorial. Or hell, why wait? It's "just a game", just give it to me the second I spawn into the universe. I actually quite like this idea. No need to follow any rules or timelines or ranks or whatever else. Just make it fun, because that trumps everything.

/Facepalm

You just dont get it do ya? Why so serious? It is JUST A GAME, Mister. Jeez its not even worth explaining to you since it seems you have not beein reading the whole thread. If this game was not fun I would of dropped it. As it was said before, this game could be roughly defined as soft canon, but canon or not, this game is ment for the Star Trek fans as well as to bring a knew group into the ST Universe. Gettin really tired of people missing the point.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Lysander_X wrote: »
    If it doesn't, nothing can happen, ever.

What I don't understand by the "Canonnites" is that how
    the heck can you make a game canon? Do they want to
    simply replay all of the movies & TV shows in video game
    form? Why not just go back & watch the movies again?

If it's canon, then there isn't any Star Trek game to be had
    anywhere! Roddenberry isn't alive. And what about the
    Star Trek Reboot movie? Didn't that just destroy the
    canon?

Just like the books are not canon, neither is the game.
    Unlike the Canonnites, I really like the way STO has
    turned out. If they keep up what they are doing, keep
    churning out the episodes, store items, or even
    expansion packs, I'm very optimistic that this game
    will be very enjoyable for many years to come.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    /Facepalm

You just dont get it do ya? Why so serious? It is JUST A GAME, Mister. Jeez its not even worth explaining to you since it seems you have not beein reading the whole thread. If this game was not fun I would of dropped it. As it was said before, this game could be roughly defined as soft canon, but canon or not, this game is ment for the Star Trek fans as well as to bring a knew group into the ST Universe. Gettin really tired of people missing the point.

you're right, which means cryptic has a hell of a time trying to keep both camps happy.

i think they've done a fine job so far, personally.

and i really wish people would stop lumping every trekkie in to the same camp. its getting annoying at this point.

it's "some" canon fans. not all.
  • Options
    edited November 2010

You know, it just occured to me that thanks to the foundry (if it comes out soon) you can make your own missions and stuff...so...maybe that could be the compromise for the "hardcore" star trek fans? Just wondering.
  • Options
    edited November 2010

If it's canon, then there isn't any Star Trek game to be had
    anywhere! Roddenberry isn't alive. And what about the
    Star Trek Reboot movie? Didn't that just destroy the
    canon?

Just like the books are not canon, neither is the game.
    Unlike the Canonnites, I really like the way STO has
    turned out. If they keep up what they are doing, keep
    churning out the episodes, store items, or even
    expansion packs, I'm very optimistic that this game
    will be very enjoyable for many years to come.
    What I don't understand about "Non-canonnites" is how they don't understand that the game needs some grounding in canon. It's not about making the game canon, it's about making sure it's consistent with what we know is canon (or at least consistent enough when canon conflicts with itself).
    If I was making a game about Alexander the Great, I wouldn't have a level where he invades America, no matter how cool that might be because he never did that. I would make levels based around his battles in Greece, Persia and India. I could add a bit more stuff, eg let you invade further into India so that it's more interesting and you're not just playing a history book, but I wouldn't just make stuff up that never would have happened anyway.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    pr1983 wrote: »
    you're right, which means cryptic has a hell of a time trying to keep both camps happy.

i think they've done a fine job so far, personally.

and i really wish people would stop lumping every trekkie in to the same camp. its getting annoying at this point.

it's "some" canon fans. not all.

There are very few that hardcore and who actually care about it how it affects the "canon." Most people are just looking for some consistency of setting.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You know, it just occured to me that thanks to the foundry (if it comes out soon) you can make your own missions and stuff...so...maybe that could be the compromise for the "hardcore" star trek fans? Just wondering.

I was just thinking that same thing. :-) I would
    definitely like to see a Cannonist design an
    episode. Show everybody how it's done. :o
    I can't wait to get my hands on the Foundry.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    LotD wrote:
    There are very few that hardcore and who actually care about it how it affects the "canon." Most people are just looking for some consistency of setting.

oh, i know. and would you not agree that there should be a balance between consistency and "fun"? something reasonable? i know you can't please everyone, but cryptic have been doing their best so far.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What I don't understand about "Non-canonnites" is how they don't understand that the game needs some grounding in canon. It's not about making the game canon, it's about making sure it's consistent with what we know is canon (or at least consistent enough when canon conflicts with itself).
    If I was making a game about Alexander the Great, I wouldn't have a level where he invades America, no matter how cool that might be because he never did that. I would make levels based around his battles in Greece, Persia and India. I could add a bit more stuff, eg let you invade further into India so that it's more interesting and you're not just playing a history book, but I wouldn't just make stuff up that never would have happened anyway.

What I don't understand is "cononites" Who think they have if figured out.

Kind of like watching 300, and taking it as historical fact.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    pr1983 wrote: »
    oh, i know. and would you not agree that there should be a balance between consistency and "fun"? something reasonable? i know you can't please everyone, but cryptic have been doing their best so far.

I agree. The best move Cryptic has made so far in this regard was the NX. It is in the game, which I roll my eyes at the very notion of, but it's in the game in a consistent manner, that is to say a weak T1 ship.
  • Options
    edited November 2010

There probably isn't enough content to shove everyone
    into specific time periods. Eg, the ability to choose a
    TOS server, which only includes ships, races, tech from
    the TOS.

As for the stories, they all take place in the pre-reboot
    era after Nemesis. What didn't happen exactly? The
    game's PvE system can be run entirely in single player
    mode. If you want to play teams of a similar theme with
    your buddies, everyone just comes to a consensus on
    what to wear during game time before the game starts.
    Basically roleplay it.

The game has to have variety & combat. Why not draw from
    all of the Star Trek series/movies? I don't recall the Gorn
    being used much after TOS, but I'm glad to see them
    again in the game.

I did notice a funny story in-game about the Klingon
    appearances between the TOS & TNG onward that I
    definitely wouldn't consider canon. Though it made me
    laugh. Honestly, they need Trekkies to be writing the
    primary adventures. If you're not a Trekkie, time to go
    out & watch all the movies, TV series, & maybe read
    a few layman science books too. Lot of good source
    material to draw from for sci-fi fans.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    LotD wrote:
    I agree. The best move Cryptic has made so far in this regard was the NX. It is in the game, which I roll my eyes at the very notion of, but it's in the game in a consistent manner, that is to say a weak T1 ship.

i'm a pretty hardcore trek fan (and i have the ebay tears to prove it), but i honestly had no problem with it.

even if it was a tier 1, 2, 3 etc, i wouldn't really care. it only becomes a problem when it starts being able to take on an excelsior or a galaxy imo.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Game mechanical considerations might create lore alterations, if the purpose is to maintain the integrity of the game as an entity.

With this in mind, variations might be a necessity, but in a perfect world to serve that purpose exclusively.

Given the nature of this world we were born into, there must be a few other elements obscuring the purity of it all, no doubt tempered by concepts such as time, resources, economy, and last but not least, user base expectations, and reactions. :p

---
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There probably isn't enough content to shove everyone
    into specific time periods. Eg, the ability to choose a
    TOS server, which only includes ships, races, tech from
    the TOS.

As for the stories, they all take place in the pre-reboot
    era after Nemesis. What didn't happen exactly? The
    game's PvE system can be run entirely in single player
    mode. If you want to play teams of a similar theme with
    your buddies, everyone just comes to a consensus on
    what to wear during game time before the game starts.
    Basically roleplay it.

The game has to have variety & combat. Why not draw from
    all of the Star Trek series/movies? I don't recall the Gorn
    being used much after TOS, but I'm glad to see them
    again in the game.

I did notice a funny story in-game about the Klingon
    appearances between the TOS & TNG onward that I
    definitely wouldn't consider canon. Though it made me
    laugh. Honestly, they need Trekkies to be writing the
    primary adventures. If you're not a Trekkie, time to go
    out & watch all the movies, TV series, & maybe read
    a few layman science books too. Lot of good source
    material to draw from for sci-fi fans.
    I agree. I don't have any problem with the TOS Connie and NX for example being where they are at the moment, I don't mind stretching canon to make the game more interesting. I don't mind bringing back extremely underused species like the Gorn (and hopefully the Tholians some day!). But what the OP in this thread was basically saying was that the game should feel free to just make anything up. I don't want that. I want a Star Trek game, that fits into the Star Trek universe that we were given in the shows and the movies.

When you don't do that, you get WoW. Have you ever tried making sense of WoW's universe? Blizzard never bothered making it consistent. When they release Burning Crusade, they explained that the Draenei were Eredar who didn't turn evil when they met Sargeras, they chose to stay good as the Eredar always had been. But Sargeras wasn't always evil, he was good until he met the Eredar who were always evil. When they added Kiljaeden as a boss, they made Kaelthas be the one who was summoning him. But Kaelthas hated Kiljaeden for destroying his kingdom, so why would he then follow him? Similar stuff happened with Illidan. Blizzard didn't bother seeing whether their new stories made sense in their universe, they just wanted to add stuff to the game because people thought it would be fun.

I don't care that WoW is more popular than STO, most of WoWs players weren't attracted to it because they loved Warcraft lore, they were attracted because they liked MMOs and WoW was head and shoulders above the rest. STO is a whole different story, Star Trek has a huge fanbase, lots of people who love its universe and don't want to see it twisted up in the name of fun.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What if there was a T5 NX Refit Holo-emitter?

What if there was a T5 NX Refit, you have to craft at Utopia Planetia, based on the updated Drex Model (never seen in the shows)?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What if there was a T5 NX Refit Holo-emitter?

What if there was a T5 NX Refit, you have to craft at Utopia Planetia, based on the updated Drex Model (never seen in the shows)?

Kinda looks like what would happen if the Akira and Constitution had a baby together. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    John0901 wrote:
    Kinda looks like what would happen if the Akira and Constitution had a baby together. :D

And that baby kicked a lot of TRIBBLE. :)

However, if they added a holoemitter NX refit - I think anyone angry at a ship looking like it might have to settle down. There's even a tactical advantage behind one: you're essentially branding yourself "mystery meat" - you could be a T5 Fleet Escort or you could be a T1 Miranda. This means enemies might want to ask questions first and shoot later.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This means enemies might want to ask questions first and shoot later.

Pfft. As if. Shoot first, shoot later, shoot some more and then when everybody's dead try to ask a question or two :D
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hravik wrote:
    Pfft. As if. Shoot first, shoot later, shoot some more and then when everybody's dead try to ask a question or two :D

Then I gank until you reconsider. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I personally don't feel that the game's lore should be constrained by the bounds of what has occured in the franchise canon. Hmm, an example may frame it better :).

"Nope, sorry, you can't have a story talking about a species that was never on the show being descendant of the Preservers."

versus say
    "Warp Engines now require oil."

It's preferable to exist within the constraints of the canon, but canon should really only define what has happened, not what can happen. Hard to put to words :(.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What kind of ridiculous notion is this OP?

A Star Trek game should not be based on Star Trek lore? Did somebody at Cryptic pay you to say this?

Get out. :eek:

That's like saying Elder Scrolls 5 shouldn't be based on Elder Scrolls lore.

/facepalm
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm not making this up, its all right there for you to find too. Go look a little bit and get back to us.

The STO Novel, the Path to 2409, the in game lore, and frankly some freaking COMMON SENSE tells us that I am right about this. I welcome being proven wrong, though.

Oh i have read them and all about the modular ships.
    But the modular ships is only an explanation for ship customization and some of the odd ships, nothing more and nothing less.
    It has nothing to do with the current set of interiors we have, so comparing interiors proves nothing.

Even the mere thought is ridicolous as the Warp Core portrayed in the interiors is physically incapable of fitting in the smaller ships.
    I fully expect we will be seeing more choices of ship interiors in the future.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Varlo wrote:
    What kind of ridiculous notion is this OP?

A Star Trek game should not be based on Star Trek lore? Did somebody at Cryptic pay you to say this?

Get out. :eek:

That's like saying Elder Scrolls 5 shouldn't be based on Elder Scrolls lore.

/facepalm

I think you missed the intent of the Original Post.

He didn't say to ignore canon. He didn't even say that canon shouldn't be in the game.

He's saying that the era the game takes place in (which has next to no "canon") is ripe for exploration.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It should be T2 then, just like the Connie refit. :) Also, HERE's some expanded pics from the calendar.