test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Video--Ship of Clones

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Howdy all ... trying my hand at making a STO video using the Demorecord Tools provided with the game. Here is my first offering for your viewing pleasure ... I call it Ship of Clones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFdE-lMyVMo
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Gnume wrote:
    Howdy all ... trying my hand at making a STO video using the Demorecord Tools provided with the game. Here is my first offering for your viewing pleasure ... I call it Ship of Clones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFdE-lMyVMo

Very nice, made me LOL

Heres something i tried with demo record as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3FPQR-INhY
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Gary!? :eek:
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    wait a min, are you telling us we can desine our crew now, to what we like them to be? if thats true thats would be very cool :)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Good one Gnume! :D
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That is one excellent vid i love it. it made me LOL
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    wait a min, are you telling us we can desine our crew now, to what we like them to be? if thats true thats would be very cool :)

I think its more that hes manipulated camera angles so that you can only see his captain and Boffs clearly

Its still kl though
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I wish too!! What I had to do was edit the .demo file that is created when you do the /demorecord command. In a nutshell, I found the text that went with my character and then I copied that and replaced that text for all the NPC costume text and voila, it made all the NPCs walking around look like my character.

Every character in the video (well, except 1) is the same toon...just 4 different versions. One with a beard, one without a beard but wearing a different uniform, one with no beard and different color hair, and finally, one with the beard but wearing an off-duty uniform.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Shawkorrr wrote: »
    Good one Gnume! :D
    Thanks Shawkorrr!! Appreciate you assisting and providing a cameo for the ending ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I think its more that hes manipulated camera angles so that you can only see his captain and Boffs clearly

Its still kl though

No smoke and mirrors here ;) I just used the EasyPath Camera settings to setup how I wanted to camera to move about the scene (like you did with your cool video). The tricky part was editing the .demo file itself to replace all the NPC costumes with the ones of my choosing.

That .demo file gets pretty big. I tried opening it MS Excel once and it wouldn't open because there were more than the 1million rows that Excel is limited to opening! So I just used Notepad to edit it.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I just wish there was an emote available to make it look like a character is talking, giving a speech, or perhaps even ranting. I would have liked to have done a close-up of the scene at the desk for the intro but thought it would look a bit silly hearing a voice-over and not seeing any lip movement.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Gary!? :eek:

Vault 108 FTW!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Gnume wrote:
    I just wish there was an emote available to make it look like a character is talking, giving a speech, or perhaps even ranting. I would have liked to have done a close-up of the scene at the desk for the intro but thought it would look a bit silly hearing a voice-over and not seeing any lip movement.

You could have always passed it off as a Captain's log, which on the series is typically presented as a voice over.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    JaskoSancT wrote: »
    You could have always passed it off as a Captain's log, which on the series is typically presented as a voice over.

Ah! That is a good idea!! I will have to remember that for the next one. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Gnume - what an amazing amount of work you had to put into this - I'm still totally confused as to how you did it, but it's cool nonetheless. Loved that he was watching Clone Wars in his ready room. LOL
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    TerilynnS wrote: »
    Gnume - what an amazing amount of work you had to put into this - I'm still totally confused as to how you did it, but it's cool nonetheless. Loved that he was watching Clone Wars in his ready room. LOL

Yes, that was a good little nod
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This video was not what I was expecting.

Given the "clone" like nature of the NPCs who roam the ship interiors, I figured it was going to be a video about them.

This was better. :)

Although, the NPCs were missing from this video. How is that possible?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Most excellent. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    TerilynnS wrote: »
    Hehe ... it was some work but more fun than anything. Glad you enjoyed it!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This video was not what I was expecting.

Given the "clone" like nature of the NPCs who roam the ship interiors, I figured it was going to be a video about them.

This was better. :)

Although, the NPCs were missing from this video. How is that possible?

Thank you!
    Well, the NPCs were present, I just changed their appearance to what I wanted it to be! ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    SeanNewBoy wrote: »
    Most excellent. :)

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Just wish YouTube didn't degrade the quality so much. The file I uploaded was much prettier and higher resolution. I used the HD option but apparently it still loses something when converted
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So, is it easily apparent that all the toons are the same character model?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Any thoughts or ideas for a sequel video?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Looking forward to the Foundry ... then I can really create some videos from the missions I can set up!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Happy Thanksgiving Cryptic!!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I wish i could watch star wars cartoons at my ready room desk computer. I'd probably never leave.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    curzon176 wrote: »
    I wish i could watch star wars cartoons at my ready room desk computer. I'd probably never leave.

It would be cool. Or perhaps the ability to watch old Trek show episodes ... as sort of a historical archive
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Gnume wrote:
    It would be cool. Or perhaps the ability to watch old Trek show episodes ... as sort of a historical archive

Haha, that would be awesome indeed!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Shawkorrr wrote: »
    Haha, that would be awesome indeed!

Wouldn't it though!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That was Awesome!

Your cloning unit needs a size adjustment however or you are speccing for ground PvP.