test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lifetime Rewards.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
With the introduction of the 400 day Veteran reward, those who had bought the Lifetime Subscription will lose one of it benefits, the Captain's Table. As a Lifer I was originally disappointed with the idea as it was a place for those who had bought the lifetime sub, therefore put a some what of a commitment into the game, to have a place where we can socialize. However now every time I go there, no ones around, as why would you bother going there as you have to zone a couple extra times more than to go to ESD. Hopefully the inclusion of Veteran members will increase the amount of traffic in the area as it is a really nice looking location.

I wouldn't be surprised if eventually all the lifetime items became available one way or another, either C-Store or Veteran rewards, as the exclusive items for purchasing game has done.

Some will argue that spending $300 for the life of the game is sufficient enough a reward for buying the lifetime subscription, which if all goes well and Star Trek Online lives and prospers for a few years would be true. But as someone who bought it pre-beta it was a pretty costly gamble, had STO either failed and closed down within its first year like some MMO's have done (APB most recently) or gone to Free to play (which the Devs have assured us it won't, but things change).

So what should cryptic offer to us that one) rewards us and two) doesn't isolate those unable or unwilling to buy the lifetime? I think it should be early access to all Veteran rewards.

Just like the Captains table, Lifers would be able to use the Veteran Reward months before everyone else, as we have already ensured our subscription for each reward anyway. Plus for things like the Captains table, we are able to "beta test" them and give back feedback to the development staff. Then when the player reach the 400 day mark (for example) they get access to it. Note: this is just for Veteran rewards, not other content such as the Foundry that should go to tribble.

I really don't think Cryptic requires the full 100 days between each reward date to create a new uniform or emote or character slots.

I would like to hear other players thoughts (and hopefully a Dev's input as well).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    This subject has been discussed to death already.

Lets not go there again.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    As a lifetime subscriber (dont like using the blue name) .... i dont really care much about the captains table, to be honest. Wouldnt personally bother me if vets finally had access to it as well.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    MavrykDH wrote: »
    With the introduction of the 400 day Veteran reward, those who had bought the Lifetime Subscription will lose one of it benefits, the Captain's Table. As a Lifer I was originally disappointed with the idea as it was a place for those who had bought the lifetime sub, therefore put a some what of a commitment into the game, to have a place where we can socialize. However now every time I go there, no ones around, as why would you bother going there as you have to zone a couple extra times more than to go to ESD. Hopefully the inclusion of Veteran members will increase the amount of traffic in the area as it is a really nice looking location.

I wouldn't be surprised if eventually all the lifetime items became available one way or another, either C-Store or Veteran rewards, as the exclusive items for purchasing game has done.

Some will argue that spending $300 for the life of the game is sufficient enough a reward for buying the lifetime subscription, which if all goes well and Star Trek Online lives and prospers for a few years would be true. But as someone who bought it pre-beta it was a pretty costly gamble, had STO either failed and closed down within its first year like some MMO's have done (APB most recently) or gone to Free to play (which the Devs have assured us it won't, but things change).

So what should cryptic offer to us that one) rewards us and two) doesn't isolate those unable or unwilling to buy the lifetime? I think it should be early access to all Veteran rewards.

Just like the Captains table, Lifers would be able to use the Veteran Reward months before everyone else, as we have already ensured our subscription for each reward anyway. Plus for things like the Captains table, we are able to "beta test" them and give back feedback to the development staff. Then when the player reach the 400 day mark (for example) they get access to it. Note: this is just for Veteran rewards, not other content such as the Foundry that should go to tribble.

I really don't think Cryptic requires the full 100 days between each reward date to create a new uniform or emote or character slots.

I would like to hear other players thoughts (and hopefully a Dev's input as well).

Just to clarify this comment: the devs have only said that there are no current plans to go FTP. That is not really an assurance.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    When the 400 rewards hit, the regular subscriber have paid more to this game than the liftetime subscriber, therefore they will get the Captains Table.
    So whats the problem. We get access to the Table while we still continue pay while the lifetimers still play free and have had access to the Table for over a year. Seems fair and square to me.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I've been to the table once, looked around, went "huh" and beamed out. Frankly, having more people there can only be a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

As far as any other lifetime reward goes, I'd sure like something extra, but that's just me being greedy. If Cryptic wants to give something extra to lifetimers, then wait a while and either make it a vet reward or put it in the C-store, I'm happy.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I personally don't care who gets access to the place, I've been there twice ever since it was put in.

Reasons being theres nothing there I can't get anywhere else and theres an extra warp in and warp out needed.

I dunno maybe give lifers a transwarp to captains table making it more convenient might be an idea, that would still not be enough for me to want to go there though unless the place gets a major content overhaul at some point.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I would care more about this issue if the Captain's Table was used more often by our current Lifetimers. Since it's generally barren (and hardly ever more than 1 instance of it), perhaps admitting the subscribers to our "club" will allow it to be more of the social zone it was meant to be.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Some will argue that spending $300 for the life of the game
    That is the current price yes.
    But as someone who bought it pre-beta it was a pretty costly gamble,
    Then you payed $200 for it.
    Does that mean you should have LT rewards taken away from you since you payed less?
    :p
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Chat wrote:
    That is the current price yes.

Then you payed $200 for it.
    Does that mean you should have LT rewards taken away from you since you payed less?
    :p

No, I just gambled early which has so far has paid off :P

My point with the Captains table was an example of it already happening, as posted I think it may do the place some good, but I can see it happening to the rest of the items. Now my opinion does not give us anything else except a first use of the item/place etc which I wouldn't think is so bad. So as this is the best place to get others opinions on the matter, and save necro'ing an old thread, I was just interested in hearing them.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I dont see how this is a problem?

To be honest, The only 400 day Vetran reward I am looking forward to is the Captain Yacht. I sincerley hope we can actually fly it and not have it as a "Pet"
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    No, I just gambled early which has so far has paid off :P

My point with the Captains table was an example of it already happening, as posted I think it may do the place some good, but I can see it happening to the rest of the items. Now my opinion does not give us anything else except a first use of the item/place etc which I wouldn't think is so bad. So as this is the best place to get others opinions on the matter, and save necro'ing an old thread, I was just interested in hearing them.
    So what is the downside of opening up Captains Table?

Pros:
    People might actually use the place.
    RPers will most likely love it.
    Maybe the devs will finally realize once it opened up that the entrances are... Eyesore.

Cons:
    Lifers gets something to complain about.

Ok I got nothing.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Chat wrote:
    Cons:
    Lifers gets something to complain about.

This is also a pro :p
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    StEvk wrote: »
    This is also a pro :p
    Perhaps. :p
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Chat wrote:
    So what is the downside of opening up Captains Table?

I don't know about other lifers, but when I found out that we got our own place to mingle (as well as the other rewards), I felt that they appreciated our commitment. Now they've taken apart of that away.

Everything I put real hard earned money into, the special edition version of the game also, is being made available else where.

So what's to entice someone purchasing Lifetime now? We have no guarantee that the game will last longer than they pay for, and for some people that's a lot of money to part with in one lump sum.

All I am suggesting is a token of appreciation for loyalty to their game to replace the one (at current) that they are giving to everyone else. And in my opinion my idea of early access to Veteran Awards is not exclusive so the rest of the membership base won't have access to it, and seeing as our subscription is for life it is guaranteed that we will be here for 300/400/500/600 days anyway. So we won't be given anything we won't get anyway.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Once upon a time a great argument ensued over The Captain's Table. The lifers had just been given access to the area, and the regular subscribers were a little upset about it. It got rather ugly, and for those of you who wish to read the final post on the subject I suggest you check the part of my signature that mentions the great and powerful Q. I think that once the 400 day mark has passed, The Captain's Table will become a much more interesting place.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Bebbe wrote: »
    When the 400 rewards hit, the regular subscriber have paid more to this game than the liftetime subscriber, therefore they will get the Captains Table.
    So whats the problem. We get access to the Table while we still continue pay while the lifetimers still play free and have had access to the Table for over a year. Seems fair and square to me.

Sorry. The math in your statment doesn't add up unless we changed to 20 day months when I wasn't looking :rolleyes:

And in the sake of argument, don't give me "not everyone plays everyday". If it takes you more than 20 months (hence paying the SAME as an LT) to get your 400-day award cuz you don't play everyday, not my problem.You chose not to make the most of your sub.

So no. The regular subs will not have paid more than the LTs. Unless Cryptic is slow about releasing the 400-day reward. Then again, they have until October 2011 before the subs have paid the same as a LT (given you started your sub on release).

For the record, I have no problem with subs getting access to the Captain's Table. It'll be nice to have some population in there. I do, however, have a problem with LT benefits being handed to the masses when they are always available... with the purchase of a LT sub :p
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't know about other lifers, but when I found out that we got our own place to mingle (as well as the other rewards), I felt that they appreciated our commitment. Now they've taken apart of that away.

Everything I put real hard earned money into, the special edition version of the game also, is being made available else where.

So what's to entice someone purchasing Lifetime now? We have no guarantee that the game will last longer than they pay for, and for some people that's a lot of money to part with in one lump sum.

All I am suggesting is a token of appreciation for loyalty to their game to replace the one (at current) that they are giving to everyone else. And in my opinion my idea of early access to Veteran Awards is not exclusive so the rest of the membership base won't have access to it, and seeing as our subscription is for life it is guaranteed that we will be here for 300/400/500/600 days anyway. So we won't be given anything we won't get anyway.

Agreed. So in the future (if STO goes beyond 20 months) my only benefit is paying less for it than subs who started when it released? Not good enough for putting faith in the game and giving Cryptic a risky investment of USD$300.

I expect something more than that. How long until Playable Liberated Borg Captains are released on the C-Store? :rolleyes:

To give Cryptic credit though, it does say on the Lifetime Sub page on the site that more benefits are to come... :)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Focalor wrote:
    As a lifetime subscriber (dont like using the blue name) .... i dont really care much about the captains table, to be honest. Wouldnt personally bother me if vets finally had access to it as well.

Your not a true Blue? Traitor!!

(ment as joke)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Once upon a time a great argument ensued over The Captain's Table. The lifers had just been given access to the area, and the regular subscribers were a little upset about it. It got rather ugly, and for those of you who wish to read the final post on the subject I suggest you check the part of my signature that mentions the great and powerful Q. I think that once the 400 day mark has passed, The Captain's Table will become a much more interesting place.

Thanks for link, I had not seen it before.

It's quite sad to see the division a practically worthless (but very meaningful) gift had made.
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Don't care. I never have to pay a sub again, s'good enough for me.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    madjik wrote: »
    Don't care. I never have to pay a sub again, s'good enough for me.

This.

I bought a lifetime sub for financial reasons. Everything else that has been given (or might be taken) was just a perk that I didn't need or expect.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This.

I bought a lifetime sub for financial reasons. Everything else that has been given (or might be taken) was just a perk that I didn't need or expect.

This. Although the Liberated Borg Captain has been a significant factor in getting it so early after the news about the lifetime subscription was released in Open Beta.

If the Captain's table had access to the various social areas, then I would seriously consider going there more often. It is just faster to go to ESD and head back. The main thing I am looking forward to for the 400 day vet reward is the Captain's Yacht as well.

As far as people calling me a true blue traitor, I am too lazy to go to the blue title.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I have the only benifit I wanted from the Lifetime subscription.... no Monthly fees.

No matter how long a subscriber plays.... the only way to take that benifit from me would be for them to "buy one".

As far as f2p.... I am sure STO will be f2p within a year or so.... probably a month b4 Star Wars launchs..... however..... lifers and paid monthly subscribers will get almost everything that will be transaction based for f2p'rs...... so they are not getting it for 'free'.

Captains table? I've spent more time on this post then @ the captains table.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    As I have stated in many threads about lifetime rewards, or pre-order stuff going to the c-store....

1) C-Store - makes no difference to me if someone buys someting I got with a pre-order in teh C-Store, it adds to the game budget.

2) Lifetime - my only concern with the 400 day reward is: Not only am I losing a Lifetime perk (which is fine), I am also getting robbed out of a vet reward (which I DON'T like). A Regular subscriber gets the Table AND the yacht, a Lifer ONLY gets the yacht.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This argument has been beaten to death already. Why even bring it up again? I, like so many other lifers, have little problem with "giving up" our "exclusive rights" to the Captain's Table when the 400-day rewards come around. It's not like it was promised as part of the package from launch, anyway. It was a gift from the devs like a month or two afterward.

And as I have stated on numerous occasions when this topic was brought up, I would have no problems with them giving the Liberated Borg captain as part of a 500-600 day vet reward, either.

It would be cool if they gave us something in return for losing these items, but it's not mandatory. In short, as long as it's not going into the C-Store, but rather as Veteran Rewards, I'm fine with it. Now, if they decided to sell it, THEN I wouldn't be happy. By the time that monthly subbers get it, they'd have paid at least as much as we have.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I also got the LTS for the benefit of not paying sub payments. I honestly don't know what the big deal is over some LTSers thinking they get cheated when the 400 day veterans get access to the Captain's Table. The place is a ghost town as it is now. Would they want the veteran reward to go away so they can enjoy the solitude of the Captain's Table?

Personally, my biggest gripe with the Captain's Table is that the access is so close to ESD and Qo'noS. I can see the benefit of going there as a KDF player, as it is much more compact than the Great Hall, but otherwise, it's just as easy (easier even) to go to ESD.

There was a discussion in another thread about the Captain's Table that it would be more populated by LTSers if you could transwarp there. I took the idea a little further and thought it would be even more beneficial if you could also transwarp back to the sector you came from when you left there. Now you could make the 400 day veterans access it the old fashioned way. That way, they still get access and LTSers who like special perks have the special transwarp feature.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So what should cryptic offer to us that one) rewards us and two) doesn't isolate those unable or unwilling to buy the lifetime?

How about an exclusive LTS binky?

The farcical and vapid hurt some LTS keep dead-horsing is well past credibility and falls into the troll-realm.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't even know or care what the Captain's place looks like.

I play or don't whenever I want, and I don't havbe to think about money, which, months after the purchase of the game, means I can purchase cryptic points without worrying about family finances.

Anything else they give me is a cool wellcomed bonus, but I'm against any kind of exclusive thing, and think that asolutely every item, object or costume in the game should be availiable to all players one way or other.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    To be hhonest the way I'd like to see it played is that lifetimers get the rewards 100 days before regular subscribers - no harm, no extra work, no nothing.

New lifetimers should probably get any retroactive rewards too.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    david26th wrote: »
    To be hhonest the way I'd like to see it played is that lifetimers get the rewards 100 days before regular subscribers - no harm, no extra work, no nothing.

New lifetimers should probably get any retroactive rewards too.

/signed

I agree and would be happy with this
This discussion has been closed.