Install Arc
Options

Star Trek things that make you go "wut?"

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    tryulis wrote: »
    During this episode Data has a disagreement with the First Officer on the ship who feels he should in command as Data can never emotionally engage with the crew, he makes them work "Like Machines"

Except Picard gave Data a commendation in the latter's record for his actions. And to be fair, Data's second on the Sutherland was a bit of an intolerent jerk.
    Allerka wrote: »
    They post new articles practically daily, and all the content sections (ships, timeline, etc.) have long since been filled in.

They still need to add the Nebula to the Ships section, as well as the other C-Store "skins" (they've added the Gal-X and Excelsior refit, so why not the others?) It would also be nice if they included Klingon vessels in the Ships section and expanded the Points of Interest list to include other "visitable" systems (like Risa).
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ryokan wrote: »
    Janeway and Paris as lizards.

Nothing tops that.

Agreed. Beyond jumping the shark. More like the shark was pole vaulting.

Also, agreed on the Chakotay/Seven thing. On the subject of couples, too, B'Elanna and Paris. I thought B'Elanna had more chemistry with Harry Kim, and it would have been far more interesting then the sugary blech we wound up with.

Picard/Beverly Crusher: Just get it over with before you die!

In the episode, "Q2", Q Junior uses the deflector dish on the Delta Flyer to open up a spatial flexure and go to random sectors in the galaxy. Yet, apparently the Voyager crew is too stupid to:

1.) Check the Delta Flyer's logs to try and reverse engineer this deflector mod.
    2.) Check Voyager's logs of the two anomalies that appear in front of it and study them thoroughly
    3.) Tried manufacturing one of their own. The crew seems to know what a spatial flexure is, and it is simple enough that the Delta Flyer's deflector dish can do it.
    4.) Bribe Q or Q Junior into programming it into the Voyager computer for them.

Seven of Nine is a former Borg drone, whose mind was at one point interconnected with the entire Borg Collective. This means, that she would have access to and knowledge of all Borg technology including transwarp conduits and ship-board transwarp technology. I would also assume that since so many Starfleet officers and Delta Quadrant aliens had been assimilated between 2370 and 2378, that they would have intimate knowledge of fairly current Starfleet ships and ship systems, and where in the Delta Quadrant to possibly find resources.

Yet, she never proposes this to the crew, helps them find resources, or even build it. She did help B'Elanna and Harry build the failed slipstream drive, but is she that incompetent of a drone that she couldn't figure out how to make it work on an outdated Intrepid class starship?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Seven wouldn't necesarily remember every piece of information the collective had. Can you recall with perfect detail the events of your life?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Agreed. Beyond jumping the shark. More like the shark was pole vaulting.

Now that's funny. :D
    Also, agreed on the Chakotay/Seven thing.

Well, this is a series that loves to give us "last season" romances, as Ex Astris points out. Worf/Troi anyone? Or even Bashi/Ezri (although Ezri was one big "last season" addition).
    4.) Bribe Q or Q Junior into programming it into the Voyager computer for them.

How the hell do you bribe the Q? :confused:
    Seven of Nine is a former Borg drone, whose mind was at one point interconnected with the entire Borg Collective. This means, that she would have access to and knowledge of all Borg technology including transwarp conduits and ship-board transwarp technology. I would also assume that since so many Starfleet officers and Delta Quadrant aliens had been assimilated between 2370 and 2378, that they would have intimate knowledge of fairly current Starfleet ships and ship systems, and where in the Delta Quadrant to possibly find resources.

Yet, she never proposes this to the crew, helps them find resources, or even build it. She did help B'Elanna and Harry build the failed slipstream drive, but is she that incompetent of a drone that she couldn't figure out how to make it work on an outdated Intrepid class starship?

Seven: "Captain, I can help create a drive system that can have you back in the Alpha Quadrant by next week."
    Janeway: "For God's sake, don't tell me about it! We won't have a show if we use that!!!"
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Seven did remember enough to help B'Elanna build the Slipstream drive. She also seemed to recall other obscure and convenient things about the Borg in other episodes.

The Borg have had Transwarp capability since at least, the late-2360s. It was established I believe in TNG, that the drones aboard operate all ship functions, so moving the ship and repairing it are the responsibility of the drones on board and they all operate as a single mind. Meaning, all drones should know how to operate and repair the transwarp drive, as it would be routine function for them.

She was assimilated in 2358 and then liberated in 2374. So, I would think she would remember enough to help them try and build a transwarp drive that didn't turn the crew into gila monsters, or at least a functioning slipstream drive. Yes, it would have ended the show more quickly, but the logic hole there irritates me.

In the episode "Q2", both Q and Q Junior needed something from Janeway and her crew:

Q Junior was sent to Voyager to get straightened out, turned into a human, and later threatened with becoming an amoeba if he didn't do what he was instructed to do. Q wanted Janeway to help teach Junior to be an upstanding young man, so he could become the Neo of the Q Continuum (and he wouldn't look like a donkey).

I'm sure that they could come to an agreement on something.

The Worf/Troi thing made more sense than Chakotay/Seven. At least we got to see that sort of building up earlier in the show.

Oh, and how did Voyager end up in the Borg sphere in the final episode? Kinda went, "WTF" on that one.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    People de-aging. Definatley, under no circumstances, can this be biologically possible.
    Not necessarily. Future advances in cellular regeneration could very well make it possible. Plus we've already found cells from a human that are functionally immortal, it's just they're all cancer cells (but 50 years after the woman died, harvested cells are still being grown and used in labs around the world). Unlikely in our generation, though. :P

Seven wouldn't necesarily remember every piece of information the collective had. Can you recall with perfect detail the events of your life?
    This. Do you have any idea how many ludobytes of data the entire Collective has? Fitting all that information into a single drone would be pretty darn hard. It was enough of a stretch that the original personalities of everyone Seven had assimilated were still stored in her implants.

Oh, and how did Voyager end up in the Borg sphere in the final episode? Kinda went, "WTF" on that one.
    That was more bad/dramatic camera angles than anything. The sphere came out, and then Voyager blew it up from behind and then flew through it/the wreckage to show off or something.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

That was more bad/dramatic camera angles than anything. The sphere came out, and then Voyager blew it up from behind and then flew through it/the wreckage to show off or something.

I know, but it was still kind of a "WTF" moment.

I thought it would have been more dramatic for them to emerge from the conduit with the Sphere still behind them, Tom does some crazy maneuver to get Voyager out of the way while the fleet that's waiting there opens up on the sphere, Voyager comes about and kills it with one of the Borg B Gone torpedoes.

Dust settles, and then they get the hail from Admiral Paris and Barclay.

But no...they had to try and copy Return of the Jedi, by having the ship fly through a giant ball of fire.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    1) The Borg from Voyager and First Contact in general. Where did the queen come from? There was never a queen in TNG. The borg didn't assimilate people. They were born, and had the implants added as they grew. (They never assimated people until First Contact because they wanted to make a zombie movie, and ignored everything about the Borg priously established.) All the Borg cared about was technology. They were basically mindless locusts that stripped worlds of their technology, and thus killing civilizations.

2) First Contact : Zefram Cochrane, a drunk capitalist? Come on. How'd they build a warp ship with the tech they had in that little shanty town? I guess a warp core isn't more complicated than a small block Chevy engine. Having the Vulcan's find us, instead of the other way around destroyed the point of Star Trek. It was about humanity being brilliant and resourceful. By making an alien race find us, it made humanity less special. We didn't come up with Warp Drive first, or transporters, or phasers, or defector shields, or for that matter anything. First Contact set up humanity as the children of the stars instead of the pioneers of them. (The inverse of Gene Roddenberry's entire purpose of the show.)

3) Enterprise-B captain. Wow, Starfleet has really lowered their standards when it comes to the captaincy of their flagship. He was basically a wimpy nerd, who was ready to hand over the command of the Federation flagship whenever anything stressful came up.

4) Kiingon Bird of Prey destroys Enterprise-D without the D firing back even once, and it never occurs to the Enterprise crew to rotate their shield frequencies when they've done many times before in many TNG episodes. (Episodes also show the Ent-D being able to destroy BoPs easily with only a handful of phaser shots, or a spread of torpedoes.)

5) Picard going back in time to fist fight Soren. Uh, it's time travel. Why the heck didn't he go back in time to when Soren boarded the Enterprise and have him arrested immediately, thus saving the Enterprise and an entire star system? Instead he goes back to the planet to fist fight Soren again, and kill James Kirk.

6) Spock, McCoy, and Kirk dialog used by Chekov, Scotty and Kirk in Generations. (Listen to the dialog between Chekov, Scotty, and Kirk in Generations. It was OBVIOUSLY written for Spock, McCoy, and Kirk. If you couldn't get Nimoy, or Kelly - how about rewritting the dialog?

7) Lily getting through to Picard in First Contact - I don't know what the deal was here. For some reason, as Picard is having his breakdown, the only person who's able to reach him is this chick, Lily who he's only known for 2 days. Worf and Crusher were unable to get through to him, but this lame character out of nowhere was able to convince him of his obession. Maybe Lily's speech was originally supposed to be from Guinan - that would have made a lot more sense. Heck, Crusher should have been the one to convince him. Gates didn't have many lines in First Contact anyway.

8) Lifeboat launch in First Contact - How'd they get them all back? They couldn't leave them on Earth, that'd be a timeline disaster. I guess they beamed them up or something. Maybe they have ground-to-space capabilities.

9) Where did all the Borg come from in First Contact? Only a small handful beamed over from the sphere. We're led to believe that several Borg started assimilating people which increased their numbers allowing them to take over the ship. However, if you look there are Cardassian Borg walking around, multiple Klingon Borg, and a ROmulan Borg in the movie. Those Borg weren't assimilated on the Enterprise, so where did they come from?

10) Machine gun scene in First Contact - Picard goes through this long elaborate scheme to get his hands on a machine gun (having to sift through a crowd in a Dixon Hill program, knock a guy out, and steal his gun from a case.) He could have just said, "Computer, produce a Tommy Gun." Or, computer create 500 copies of me, and then locked the Borg in the holodeck. The whole scene made no logical sense.

11) Joystick scene in Insurrection - Riker flies the ship with a joystick. Yeah, he did. Really.

Oh man, I could go on an on about Generations and First Contact, but I think I'll stop here. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    1) The Borg from Voyager and First Contact in general. Where did the queen come from? There was never a queen in TNG. The borg didn't assimilate people. They were born, and had the implants added as they grew. (They never assimated people until First Contact because they wanted to make a zombie movie, and ignored everything about the Borg priously established.) All the Borg cared about was technology. They were basically mindless locusts that stripped worlds of their technology, and thus killing civilizations.

The Borg were shown assimilating people as soon as "The Best of Both Worlds Part 1" - Locutus, remember? And a lot of what is mentioned in "Q Who" - the Borg's first appearance in Trek - can be taken as supposition by the Enterprise away team (and, possibly, some misinformation from Q). It is more likely that what the away team in "Q Who" saw was a maturation chamber. (The real world explaination is, of course, that assimilation of races hadn't been developed yet when "Q Who" was produced.)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Seven wouldn't have that knowledge. It's not like each drone knew EVERYTHING. Think of their implants as a very effective Google Search. You make the search and you understand everything with the help of the collective. However, due to the limited memories of us humans, that doesn't mean you'll remember it all.

Seven knew as much as she could remember without help of the collective. As a drone she didn't have to memorize everything and didn't because it was all at her fingertips. As a human she knows a lot but not nearly everything.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Seven wouldn't have that knowledge. It's not like each drone knew EVERYTHING. Think of their implants as a very effective Google Search. You make the search and you understand everything with the help of the collective. However, due to the limited memories of us humans, that doesn't mean you'll remember it all.

Seven knew as much as she could remember without help of the collective. As a drone she didn't have to memorize everything and didn't because it was all at her fingertips. As a human she knows a lot but not nearly everything.

I didn't say she would know everything about it, but I did say that she should know enough to tip off the crew of Voyager and perhaps help them build it. Even if you aren't required to think about something when you're doing it, you do it often enough you become familiar with the task and the system. Keep in mind, she might have been just an isolinear chip to them, but there was still a living organism under that circuitry that was cognitive enough to remember what it was like to assimilate another being, offer other small details about the Collective to the Voyager crew in other episodes, remember she wanted to be a ballerina, and subconsciously remember she liked strawberries. So, it's not like Annika's brain was completely turned off.

As a drone in my own work environment, I am not required to do much thinking when performing my daily tasks, nor did I go to school for anything IT related. However, I have been in my position long enough that I am pretty familiar with how the systems I work with are supposed to operate, and routinely help IT people fix them.

I just find it hard to believe that Seven would remember, "I wanted to be a ballerina" and not remember something big like the existence of transwarp drive, which would have most certainly helped her friends and loved ones get home.

I wonder what that conversation would have been like.

Janeway: Seven, what can you tell me of Borg Transwarp Drive technology?
    Seven: I am sorry, Captain, but I am unfamiliar with that technology, but if you like, I can reconfigure my alcove to play Swan Lake and entertain you with some jetes.

The Google search analogy I like, and it makes a lot of sense since early on we saw drones dying when separated from the Collective. As though the Collective was really telling the drone how to live.

However, later on we see drones like Seven and Hugh becoming separated from the Collective without dying which begs the question about whether they adapted to overcome this weakness. That would lead me to suspect that the living organism can take over when the machine becomes impaired, and/or the Hive Mind isn't as important as it once was. Hence, the living organism is still alive even when assimilated, and can possibly think independently from the Hive when separated. Or whether this is simply another plot hole with the Borg ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    mine would be warp 10 is the theoretical speed in which you can be in every place at once, and yet in All good things, you got warp 13 capabilities.

Now I need to brush up on my quantum mechanics, but should warp ten just fold space ten times more densely then warp nine, so that other warp factors were more powerful, instead of being the "be in all places at once" that it is made out to be. After all warp nine isn't that impressively fast if ti take 70 years for voyager to cross 70'000 light years. And if I'm not mistaken, the Excelsior had trans-warp capabilities, so how did Star fleet loose this ability, and then manage to change it to be something different than what Voyager tried to make it out to be?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Archanubis wrote:
    The Borg were shown assimilating people as soon as "The Best of Both Worlds Part 1" - Locutus, remember? And a lot of what is mentioned in "Q Who" - the Borg's first appearance in Trek - can be taken as supposition by the Enterprise away team (and, possibly, some misinformation from Q). It is more likely that what the away team in "Q Who" saw was a maturation chamber. (The real world explaination is, of course, that assimilation of races hadn't been developed yet when "Q Who" was produced.)

Fair enough. Makes sense. However, we're both just making up explanations that were never really resolved in canon. If they said something in First Contact like, the Borg assimilated an insectiod culture, causing the Borg to adopt a queen, or that they assimilated a civilization with nanite techology causing them to sprout assiumation tubules or something I'd accept it. They kind of just swept what me knew of the borg from TNG under the rug and pretended that the zombie, people-infecting Borg were there all along. (Yes I know that Locutus was assimilated, but as stated in the episode, that was not the Borg norm, and Picard wasn't assimilated in the way that others were in First Contact. (No nanites, no mutilations or amputations.)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The biggest WUT ever would have to be that TOS had an episode with space-hippies in it, that was just wrong on atleast 47 levels.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    At least they never had an episode about the Dutch. :confused:
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ryokan wrote: »
    Janeway and Paris as lizards.

Nothing tops that.

It didn't have as much of an effect on me because I knew it was coming.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    4) Kiingon Bird of Prey destroys Enterprise-D without the D firing back even once, and it never occurs to the Enterprise crew to rotate their shield frequencies when they've done many times before in many TNG episodes. (Episodes also show the Ent-D being able to destroy BoPs easily with only a handful of phaser shots, or a spread of torpedoes.)
    Dramatics, mostly. They needed a way to destroy the D, and that's what they came up with. Was pretty lame, yes.

5) Picard going back in time to fist fight Soren. Uh, it's time travel. Why the heck didn't he go back in time to when Soren boarded the Enterprise and have him arrested immediately, thus saving the Enterprise and an entire star system? Instead he goes back to the planet to fist fight Soren again, and kill James Kirk.
    Again, dramatics.

6) Spock, McCoy, and Kirk dialog used by Chekov, Scotty and Kirk in Generations. (Listen to the dialog between Chekov, Scotty, and Kirk in Generations. It was OBVIOUSLY written for Spock, McCoy, and Kirk. If you couldn't get Nimoy, or Kelly - how about rewritting the dialog?
    I never noticed that before. I'll have to look that up.

*Rewatches segment*

Nope, I don't see it.

7) Lily getting through to Picard in First Contact - I don't know what the deal was here. For some reason, as Picard is having his breakdown, the only person who's able to reach him is this chick, Lily who he's only known for 2 days. Worf and Crusher were unable to get through to him, but this lame character out of nowhere was able to convince him of his obession. Maybe Lily's speech was originally supposed to be from Guinan - that would have made a lot more sense. Heck, Crusher should have been the one to convince him. Gates didn't have many lines in First Contact anyway.
    Well, she's the one that actually confronted him and didn't back down, whereas Crusher and Worf basically let him storm off. Probably would have been better if Crusher did it, yeah, but I guess they needed Lily to do something more.

8) Lifeboat launch in First Contact - How'd they get them all back? They couldn't leave them on Earth, that'd be a timeline disaster. I guess they beamed them up or something. Maybe they have ground-to-space capabilities.
    Yes.

9) Where did all the Borg come from in First Contact? Only a small handful beamed over from the sphere. We're led to believe that several Borg started assimilating people which increased their numbers allowing them to take over the ship. However, if you look there are Cardassian Borg walking around, multiple Klingon Borg, and a ROmulan Borg in the movie. Those Borg weren't assimilated on the Enterprise, so where did they come from?
    I never saw any Cardassians or Klingons. And how could you tell Romulan from Vulcan, especially post-assimilation? We don't know how many drones were beamed over. We ASSUME only a few, but there were likely several dozen at least (there's plenty of places to hide) if they were able to take over deck 16 so quickly.

10) Machine gun scene in First Contact - Picard goes through this long elaborate scheme to get his hands on a machine gun (having to sift through a crowd in a Dixon Hill program, knock a guy out, and steal his gun from a case.) He could have just said, "Computer, produce a Tommy Gun." Or, computer create 500 copies of me, and then locked the Borg in the holodeck. The whole scene made no logical sense.
    Yeah, I agree. Was silly (though at least cool to have a throwback to the show and even the same actress that was the secretary in the Dixon Hill stuff).

11) Joystick scene in Insurrection - Riker flies the ship with a joystick. Yeah, he did. Really.
    Yeah... :rolleyes:

Janeway: Seven, what can you tell me of Borg Transwarp Drive technology?
    Seven: I am sorry, Captain, but I am unfamiliar with that technology, but if you like, I can reconfigure my alcove to play Swan Lake and entertain you with some jetes.
    Bwa ha ha, nice. :p

Dakota2063 wrote: »
    mine would be warp 10 is the theoretical speed in which you can be in every place at once, and yet in All good things, you got warp 13 capabilities.
    Except for that one episode in Voyager (which even the writers have admitted shouldn't be considered canon), warp 10 was always just another velocity that Starfleet hadn't broken yet. Then we get that episode where it apparently equals infinite speed (nevermind warp 9.99999999999999 is still not even close to infinite speed).

Fair enough. Makes sense. However, we're both just making up explanations that were never really resolved in canon. If they said something in First Contact like, the Borg assimilated an insectiod culture, causing the Borg to adopt a queen, or that they assimilated a civilization with nanite techology causing them to sprout assiumation tubules or something I'd accept it. They kind of just swept what me knew of the borg from TNG under the rug and pretended that the zombie, people-infecting Borg were there all along. (Yes I know that Locutus was assimilated, but as stated in the episode, that was not the Borg norm, and Picard wasn't assimilated in the way that others were in First Contact. (No nanites, no mutilations or amputations.)
    Yeah, it was pretty much just fleshing them out more.

schipani wrote:
    The biggest WUT ever would have to be that TOS had an episode with space-hippies in it, that was just wrong on atleast 47 levels.
    I see what you did there.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Except for that one episode in Voyager (which even the writers have admitted shouldn't be considered canon), warp 10 was always just another velocity that Starfleet hadn't broken yet. Then we get that episode where it apparently equals infinite speed (nevermind warp 9.99999999999999 is still not even close to infinite speed).

True. But my other point was that the excelsior had trans-warp, did the writers really just forget that major point. I think it was in the third movie, were Scotty sabotaged the Excelsior and you here the trans warp failure warning that is now apart of the Excelsior in game. Some of the Star Trek writer should really have done their home work.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Neelix's clothes. . . and Quark's too, now that I think of it.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    True. But my other point was that the excelsior had trans-warp, did the writers really just forget that major point. I think it was in the third movie, were Scotty sabotaged the Excelsior and you here the trans warp failure warning that is now apart of the Excelsior in game. Some of the Star Trek writer should really have done their home work.
    Yes, it was mentioned in STIII. At that point, though, it was just an empty word meant to imply the Excelsior was going to be awesome. It was never explained on-screen, but other sources basically said they weren't able to get the tech past the prototype stage until over a century later (i.e. until STO time), and/or they weren't able to get it working well enough for mass production (we never did see the Excelsior's TW drive actually work).

Neelix's clothes. . . and Quark's too, now that I think of it.
    Am I the only person that didn't find Neelix's clothes obnoxious at all? Sure, I'd never wear them, but I didn't mind. Hardly worse than some of the outfits we saw in TOS or TNG. :p
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I don't think that it means the Transwarp in the sense of TNG, but more along the line of it being faster than Warp, as in turn of it being faster than any other Warp Drive. Could it have failed, yes, but it also could have worked and the term was retired because Transwarp became normal warp.

Then, Starfleet found out you can't go faster than a certain speed, and recalibrate the Warp Scale to fit accordingly (like the difference between Celsius and Fahrenheit).

Now, what makes me go wut, Star Trek: Enterprise.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Not necessarily. Future advances in cellular regeneration could very well make it possible. Plus we've already found cells from a human that are functionally immortal, it's just they're all cancer cells (but 50 years after the woman died, harvested cells are still being grown and used in labs around the world). Unlikely in our generation, though. :P

I know what you're talking about, and yes, if we could extend telomeres we could slow or halt the aging process, but someone's physical form de-aging is not possible. We can't go from a 25 year-old body to a 6 year-old body. A lot of science in Star Trek that seams questionable can seem plausible under the right circumstances, or at least be viewed in a light that we don't know one way or the other yet, but this is one we do know.

Actually, on this topic I kind of recommend "The Biology of Star Trek." It addresses how a lot of genetic manipulation could work, and how humanoid evolution could actually reasonably occur everywhere. I don't remember if they ever addressed this aging thing, but it's a good read. It's written by a couple of PhD biologists that are doing their best to justify everything we've seen in Trek without forcing anyone to ask "what has science ever done to you?"
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Neelix and the sexual ritual with whats her name.... I can't remember now
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I know what you're talking about, and yes, if we could extend telomeres we could slow or halt the aging process, but someone's physical form de-aging is not possible. We can't go from a 25 year-old body to a 6 year-old body. A lot of science in Star Trek that seams questionable can seem plausible under the right circumstances, or at least be viewed in a light that we don't know one way or the other yet, but this is one we do know.

Actually, on this topic I kind of recommend "The Biology of Star Trek." It addresses how a lot of genetic manipulation could work, and how humanoid evolution could actually reasonably occur everywhere. I don't remember if they ever addressed this aging thing, but it's a good read. It's written by a couple of PhD biologists that are doing their best to justify everything we've seen in Trek without forcing anyone to ask "what has science ever done to you?"
    Oh, yeah, going backwards from adult to child phase (or further), no, I don't think so. I was just talking in terms of enhanced cellular regeneration that makes the aging process go a lot slower than it does now (basically just increasing our natural lifespan even further than what we've already done).

Sounds like a cool book, I might have to check it out.

chrislove wrote: »
    Neelix and the sexual ritual with whats her name.... I can't remember now
    Kes. And yeah, that was an odd bit of logic behind the Ocampan mating process. If a female can only have a child once in her life, then she would need to have twins just to maintain the current population. Assuming the single child ratio to twins (or more) is roughly the same as humans (and we were never given any indication it wasn't), then positive population growth would be virtually impossible.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Kes. And yeah, that was an odd bit of logic behind the Ocampan mating process. If a female can only have a child once in her life, then she would need to have twins just to maintain the current population. Assuming the single child ratio to twins (or more) is roughly the same as humans (and we were never given any indication it wasn't), then positive population growth would be virtually impossible.

Yeah, realistically the average Ocampan would always need to have quadruplets.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, realistically the average Ocampan would always need to have quadruplets.

I think this is a case of "Oh, this concept sounds cool, let's introduce it as a feature of their species."

*later on*

"Oh SHI-, THAT MAKES NO ****ING SENSE."
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ertwin wrote: »
    Appartently Robert Beltran was complaining that his character had nothing to do, so the writers shut his mouth by sticking Jeri Ryan's tongue in it...Or so I heard.

Lucky sob :)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    OK I have a good one ....

The Voyager episode 'Distant Origin' ... Dinosaurs ...
    ... saurian is an evolved dinosaur from a species that left Earth more than 65 million years earlier. The scientist is thrilled to be able to prove his Distant Origin theory ...

http://www.startrek.com/database_article/distant-origin

:D
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    jkstocbr wrote:
    OK I have a good one ....

The Voyager episode 'Distant Origin' ... Dinosaurs ...

http://www.startrek.com/database_article/distant-origin

:D

It was an interesting concept, but the "wut" moment for me was when they "supposed" that the Voth were descended from Parasaurolophus, an animal that had a relatively small brain size and was probably no smarter than a cow. Not that any dinosaur was the "smarter than chimpanzees" monster Velociraptors of Jurassic Park, but as far as a species that evolved into a sapient species, Troodon might have been easier to swallow as an origin genus.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Capulet wrote: »
    At least they never had an episode about the Dutch. :confused:

"There are only 2 things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch!"
This discussion has been closed.