test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Heads Up! New per-character services in the C-Store!

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    tarjan wrote: »
    well u gonna get rid of a pvp'r you know the ones you hate :P me that is hehe

nothing about hate bud.:)

oh... and I still don't PvP. :D gotta stand for somethin' in these horrific times.

.:cool::cool:
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    DocDove wrote:
    Do you really need more BO slots for ALL your toons? I don't even use all the ones I have on my current ones!!! But then again, we might have different play styles.

Anyway, I support the per-character model on BO and ship slots, after all why should all of my characters be able to play all of the ships at his or her whim? I mean isn't that the point of having multiple characters?

Besides, you *should* be getting more BO slots with season 2 and VA (we are getting more slots at VA, right Cryptic?), and you'll get a new Costume slot as well. An extra ship slot would be nice for VA, too, for the refits, then one more at Fleet Admiral when we get there (along with 2 BO slots another uniform slot please:cool:).

TO StormShade - thanks for the update, I did notice that after I ranted - thanks for listening.

no new BOs at the new cap
    as for why some one mite want more think of this
    4 ground combat BO 5 space combat BO
    what if you want diff powers for PVP vs PVE
    not much room to work with as it is
    also to have no stand in NPC BO on your ship
    you need 4 BO of every type two more them now
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I am a lifetime member and also a yearly subscription holder. I have never posted to anything that has been done to change/enhance the game except for now.

I think that what you have done here to make these individually availalbe to the current character is a mistake and will only alienate people from wanting to play STO. In the beginning the Klingon side of the game was vast with players, yet now those ranks have diminished. You see this also on the FED side with people who have lett or are no longer playing. I understand that this is a touch economic reality that we now live in but this will not do anything to increase the bottom line or to give customer satisfaction to the people who still play.

I myself spend money on the cryptic points for both of my accounts, yet now with these changes I doubt that trend will continue since I am now limited in what I can do in the game with the additional money that I have to spend. You all should rethink this and go back to making your purchases per account and not character as I believe it is the general consensus of all players that are still playing.

You can also have a poll to see what people think since polling is a popular tool that is used.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    nothing about hate bud.:)

oh... and I still don't PvP. :D gotta stand for somethin' in these horrific times.

.:cool::cool:

Lol RUBY ROD avatar ftw
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    DocDove wrote:
    Do you really need more BO slots for ALL your toons? I don't even use all the ones I have on my current ones!!! But then again, we might have different play styles.

Anyway, I support the per-character model on BO and ship slots, after all why should all of my characters be able to play all of the ships at his or her whim? I mean isn't that the point of having multiple characters?

Besides, you *should* be getting more BO slots with season 2 and VA (we are getting more slots at VA, right Cryptic?), and you'll get a new Costume slot as well. An extra ship slot would be nice for VA, too, for the refits, then one more at Fleet Admiral when we get there (along with 2 BO slots another uniform slot please:cool:).

TO StormShade - thanks for the update, I did notice that after I ranted - thanks for listening.

I don't need them for my play style. I want them for my RP style. I'm the kind of player that gets attached to his BO's. I've written very detailed bio's for most of my officers, even killed two (out of space), and started a detailed wiki to store information. I just can't find myself buying something like this at 400CP if it doesn't affect all accounts or have a much lower price.

I also have to say that expecting more slots at VADM is a stretch at this point. Cryptic hasn't mentioned anything about extra BO slots, ship slots, or costume slots at VADM, and given the history of events to date that is cause to believe it isn't happening.

Coupled with this release, I'm inclined to believe VADM is when stuff that should be free starts costing money.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Emissary wrote: »
    I am a lifetime member and also a yearly subscription holder. I have never posted to anything that has been done to change/enhance the game except for now.

I think that what you have done here to make these individually availalbe to the current character is a mistake and will only alienate people from wanting to play STO. In the beginning the Klingon side of the game was vast with players, yet now those ranks have diminished. You see this also on the FED side with people who have lett or are no longer playing. I understand that this is a touch economic reality that we now live in but this will not do anything to increase the bottom line or to give customer satisfaction to the people who still play.

I myself spend money on the cryptic points for both of my accounts, yet now with these changes I doubt that trend will continue since I am now limited in what I can do in the game with the additional money that I have to spend. You all should rethink this and go back to making your purchases per account and not character as I believe it is the general consensus of all players that are still playing.

You can also have a poll to see what people think since polling is a popular tool that is used.

Thanks!

agreed/ im not buying any of them until there account wide!! On writing this the costumes slots are been made account wide which i guess is a start.. but they still need to do the same with the others....!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I am still going to fight for the other two "PER CHARACTOR" to either get the price lowered, or make them account wide.
    400cp is way to much or a per charactor basis.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    GMDestra wrote:
    Good question! The Bridge Officer slots allow you to have more officers in your crew. Having more bridge officer slots allows you to have more options to select from when you are choosing your away team and station assignments.

see not really asnwering the questions, just trying to work around it. here is the deal.

NO you cant add that officer to your ship for use unless you switch that officer out.
    This is a gimmick because there is no difference in BO's in truth. You dont need a new one in all honesty people. having more BO slots dont give you more options to select from. Proof, you get a bunch of missions and you can go to earth space dock to setup your BO's. You dont need to have more then 8 BO's in your option list. if you have more then that then its just a waste. change the powers around from the BO store at earth space dock it only cost you game points not real dollars. Also you can train BO's with lt cmdr and cmdr powers if you performed a good training on your captain.

DONT FALL FOR THE HYPE OF THE C-STORE GIMMICK CONTENT. Cryptic you should be shamed of yourselves for one selling junk and two side stepping a clear question.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Okay... Either this game IS about to go F2P and thus the per-character services on the C-store are perfectly valid, or Cryptic Marketing is once again losing touch with the reality of what existing customers need out of this game.

I will say this... All of this C-store stuff will be perfectly acceptable to me, provided that there is NEVER a single retail expansion of the game. If ALL game updates come in the form of patches and C-Store content, then it will be okay.

I will also say that if STO goes free to play, thus eliminating the requirement to pay $14.99 per month to play the base game, I will have no problem with the C-store as it is shaping up.

I think most of us (except for those who are dead-set against MTs, period) feel the same way.

There is a limit to what the community will accept, and you guys at Cryptic are approaching it. Even if/when the game goes F2P, you need to be very careful about how you price your C-Store items. Otherwise, you won't see the sorts of profit increases that DDO's conversion to F2P has seen.

Just a little friendly advice from one who can be quoted as having said this:

"Whatever Cryptic has to do to make as many players happy, even if I might not personally like it, has my support"

Well, this move is not making players happy. And I personally don't like it. So it doesn't have my support as it is.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    UFP-Magnis wrote: »
    see not really asnwering the questions, just trying to work around it. here is the deal.

NO you cant add that officer to your ship for use unless you switch that officer out.
    This is a gimmick because there is no difference in BO's in truth. You dont need a new one in all honesty people. having more BO slots dont give you more options to select from. Proof, you get a bunch of missions and you can go to earth space dock to setup your BO's. You dont need to have more then 8 BO's in your option list. if you have more then that then its just a waste. change the powers around from the BO store at earth space dock it only cost you game points not real dollars. Also you can train BO's with lt cmdr and cmdr powers if you performed a good training on your captain.

DONT FALL FOR THE HYPE OF THE C-STORE GIMMICK CONTENT. Cryptic you should be shamed of yourselves for one selling junk and two side stepping a clear question.

I agree with this but with comments of my own. This behavior cannot be permitted to stand since it will only get worse. This is an attempt to TRIBBLE the customer base, nothing more and it has to be stopped now since if they can get away with it, it will only get worse.

The only thing I am remotely interested in personally is the additonal ship slots, I keep all of my existing bridge officers and just train skills as needed and I have no need for the extra uniform slot at all.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    UFP-Magnis wrote: »
    This is a gimmick because there is no difference in BO's in truth. You dont need a new one in all honesty people. having more BO slots dont give you more options to select from. Proof, you get a bunch of missions and you can go to earth space dock to setup your BO's. You dont need to have more then 8 BO's in your option list. if you have more then that then its just a waste. change the powers around from the BO store at earth space dock it only cost you game points not real dollars. Also you can train BO's with lt cmdr and cmdr powers if you performed a good training on your captain......

people DO like to swap BO's for the reason they look different too. :) that's why xtra BO's are desirable imo ... more characters to play out our personal stories with.......

Also you get the feeling as a Captain that you can pick you away team from a full crew ( not really, but more BO's would make it feel that way ).... and you can make a conscious decision on the mission at hand on which officer would be more beneficial to the task at hand.... more is better.

what I'd lie to see is:

BO races affect NPC and mob reactions.....

for example, you go to an away mission...and the NPC wont talk to you or aggro's because you have 4 borg BO's... because borgs destroyed his home world... and he doesn't care if they're liberated or not..they still freak him out......

or ..... you have an Orien BO .... and the NPC sells for cheap because he is charmed by her aura....

just a couple ideas for faction/racial reactions possible..... it could work for your main character....but even better; your BO's that you have with you on an away mission could affect outcome as well.

hence the beauty of having more BO's to choose from.

....just a thought.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    StormShade wrote:
    In case some of you missed it, Destra just posted here that we've pulled down the costume slots until we make them account wide.

Thanks,

Stormshade

1) Thanks Cryptic! Making Costumes per Account is excellent. You have just made yourself a sale you weren't previously going to get! I will buy at least 1 set (possibly more if/when ya'll make more costume options and/or open up these same slots to Off Duty clothes).

2) When are you going to correct your "mistake" (my term) and "fix" the other two items (ships and BOs) to make them Account Wide? Frankly I care less about these two, but if you want any of my money on these ya gotta expand them too. Perhaps if you lowered the price on the ones remaining per character I might consider getting a set of extra BOs. But I'm conflicted... Don't know if getting rid of the last two generic BOs on my Bridge is worth it.

Want to make at least two more sales? Fix Ships and BOs to Account wide also and I'll buy one of each. :D

3) You should have Destra edit his first post (and possibly the thread name) to point out the change/new thread... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    First of all, glad to see that the costume option will be going to all characters on the account. That is a good move back on course.

I read the entire thread up to this point, and I'm glad to see that overall, nobody is interested in supporting a per character model.

I want to rave and rant a bit. Let me give some raves first.

RAVE:
    Happy to see the TOS designs in the C-Store and I don't mind getting those add-ons for less than having to buy a special pre-order and a second acct. That made me annoyed to begin with and this is far better.

RANT:
    I want to be able to purchase a uniforrm and store it, not have to pay energy points to change the uniforms. I created a TOS uniform set for my ship, and I want to Mirrorverse them to play their counterparts. I don't see any benefit to having to create seperate versions of 'twins' to play it that way, but its either that or 'buy' clothes every time I want to change back and forth. Not to mention losing the whole 'parallel universe' equivalency effect of it.

RAVE:
    I love the game.

RANT:
    I hate that we have no inventory space for uniforms. I hate that we have no ship uniform preset for all NPC's. Whoever suggested that option wins my vote. If you set an 'era' or just a uniform type for your captain, it should auto-update all the NPC's for the ship to that class of uniform. TOS, TNG, DS9, MOVIES, etc. should be a check box setting and update everyone. Then, for your bridge officers you could customize from that a little.

RAVE:
    Love that Risa is in the game.

RANT:
    No beachwear to buy at a vendor and wear at the beach. This is stupid. Nobody goes to the beach and wears heavy clothing or a uniform. FIX THIS.

RAVE:
    TOS uniforms and ship exteriors.

RANT:
    <<<<<<NO TOS EQUIPMENT OR INTERIORS>>>>>> How about it? Let's get some of that for consistency inside and outside the ships!

RAVE:
    Looks beautiful on maximum video settings. Absolutely gorgeous game. It is a work of art.

RANT:
    Locks up every time I switch areas unless I lower all my video settings. This gets old. I have the latest drivers for my 512mb video card-- makes no difference. Any chance of a fix on the horizon?

RAVE:
    I enjoy ship combat very much. Ground stuff is not bad, pretty fun.

RANT:
    I would like a log catcher function for this game, for recording RP sessions with friends to make into stories. Nothing appears to exist for this.

RAVE:
    Caitians are in the game!

RANT:
    They look like lions and not like M'Ress. They should have manes, not be 'bald' the way they are implemented.

RAVE:
    Ships can be named and customized.

RANT:
    NCC numbers are all defined in a range way too high for TOS era ships. I guess the idea is they've all been pulled from mothballs and refit but how many could there really be? If I want to create a single nacelled ship, I can't do that. I can't customize much. Only some very limited options. Where's a Kelvin style ship? I could make a Saladin from that a lot better than a TOS Constitution class ship.

That's enough ranting and raving. I support C-Store for some things, but I won't be nickeled and dimed to death either. I want more TOS items. Even "Wrath of Khan" era phasers and communicators, etc. TNG equipment on a TNG bridge with a TOS ship and TOS uniforms is really an awful combination. I play it that way, but it is so anachronistic it looks 'off' to me. The game is not so serious that it is TNG future only just for the fact that TOS gear exists at all. If you're going to include it, do it all the way, not halfway. :)

In short, I support a C-Store. But I'll only be buying stuff that interests me and not every little thing in there.

That I'd buy. PER ACCOUNT, not PER CHARACTER.

Ken
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    DocDove wrote:
    Exactly - see YOU are the one Cryptic is trying to sell this to...

Indeed... but they failed to sell this service to me as "per toon" is just not worth it, particularly as the sig at the bottom of this post is not all of my toons :rolleyes: .

Hitherto, I have purchased literally *everything* from the C-Store, so for them to fail to make a sale to *me* suggests they have screwed the pooch fairly spectacularly.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Saladin_CO wrote: »
    RAVE:
    Caitians are in the game!

RANT:
    They look like lions and not like M'Ress. They should have manes, not be 'bald' the way they are implemented.

Manes are coming later - they released them without as the flaming/trolling about "where were they" was getting uncontrollable...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    evilhippo wrote: »
    Indeed... but they failed to sell this service to me as "per toon" is just not worth it, particularly as the sig at the bottom of this post is not all of my toons :rolleyes: .

Hitherto, I have purchased literally *everything* from the C-Store, so for them to fail to make a sale to *me* suggests they have screwed the pooch fairly spectacularly.

Me too dude, the only thing I have not purchase are the Klingon bridges since I don't do Klingon. I even bought that overpriced dump truck just to have it. and I would proabably purchase the extra BO slots because I am lazy enough to not want to go to SB to switch out training. I would definitely be buying the ship slots 'cause sometimes I just gotta go out in my TOS Connie on my RA toons.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    MGDawson wrote: »
    Manes are coming later - they released them without as the flaming/trolling about "where were they" was getting uncontrollable...:rolleyes:

This seems to be the pattern for this game.

"Release it now!"

"But it's not finished!"

"Ahh, who cares, we can finish it on the C-Store later on."
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to guess because these items works differently in the database, so different that it's just far easier for now to do it per account.

Something in your inventory is far different to something that gets added to our profile which holds other similiar items.

I'm a developer lol Maybe its just cryptic maximising profit lol
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to guess because these items works differently in the database, so different that it's just far easier for now to do it per account.

Something in your inventory is far different to something that gets added to our profile which holds other similiar items.

I'm a developer lol Maybe its just cryptic maximising profit lol

Maximizing profit, it would be far easier for the database to handle it per account than per character. Not only did they almost certainly have to write code to do this explicitly, they had to do it with aforethought and malice.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mojo wrote: »
    This seems to be the pattern for this game.

"Release it now!"

"But it's not finished!"

"Ahh, who cares, we can finish it on the C-Store later on."

And frankly I can live with that, as long as the items are not extortionate... and 400 per toon *is* extortionate.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I have to say when i first read this i thought i must have been pulled back in time to 1st April somehow....but after checking the date i realised this unlikely event hasnt happened and this is indeed a real thing that cryptic are trying to get away with....

So 400 points PER character for ship or BOFF slots??? per account would be ok but per character??? I really can't imagine that the guys ( or gals?) that came up with this really thought that people would accept it as good value...

Also this move suggests to me (even more than putting the Galaxy X in the C store) that you are no longer going to restrict the C store to purely cosmetic or fluff items, there is no way that having extra BOFF slots available will not give advantages to any that purchase them, having extra variety in powers that are available DOES affect game balance. I know that myself and my friends already have a few diferent setups of BOFF's for diferent things (although with the limited BOFF slots we still can't get the exact diferent setups we would like), also with some of the BOFF powers being VERY hard ( or expensive) to get its not like we can just change powers on our available BOFF's all the time.

I will add that untill now i have supported Cryptic through the C Store but if this move goes ahead as is i will NEVER again purchase any Cryptic Points and my friends feel the same way.

So Cryptic ask yourself this....is the small ammount you will get from the few willing to pay such inflated prices worth the lose in revenue and goodwill you will see from people who see this as an extreem money grab?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Personally i think that Cryptic should already start hiring Lawyers for the incoming lawsuit flood , they completely disregarded the Preorder agreement. The statement was that all the stuff added in the Cstore could be in time acquired in game , also they said that the added items to Cstore will be purely cosmetic .

Judging by the players i meet online . They are feeling betrayed by Cryptic , so they will need the money they make via Cstore for lawyers .

I really hope they come around soon , the game has allot of potential , but micro-transactions and the changes they made lately are killing the game .

Cryptic WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Personally i think that Cryptic should already start hiring Lawyers for the incoming lawsuit flood , they completely disregarded the Preorder agreement.

Oh please, not this thing again. They have no liability in that respect whatsoever. Was it a smart move? No. Does it makes them somehow legally liable because some people misconstrued Cryptic's scope to change the availability later? No, not even close... and it also has nothing to do with this topic.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    evilhippo wrote: »
    Oh please, not thing again. They have no liability in that respect whatsoever. Was it a smart move? No. Does it makes them somehow legally liable because some people misconstrued Cryptic's scope to change the availability later? No, not even close... and it also has nothing to do with this topic.

awe-greed

:)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yep, threatening litigation will never help and it won't work anyway.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yep, threatening litigation will never help and it won't work anyway.

Amen, particularly as it is an empty threat.

EDIT: Love the avatar BTW... the significance took a moment to sink in :D
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    what I'd lie to see is:

Freudian slip there, huh cold? :D
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    specter22 wrote:
    I have to say when i first read this i thought i must have been pulled back in time to 1st April somehow....but after checking the date i realised this unlikely event hasnt happened and this is indeed a real thing that cryptic are trying to get away with....

So 400 points PER character for ship or BOFF slots??? per account would be ok but per character??? I really can't imagine that the guys ( or gals?) that came up with this really thought that people would accept it as good value...

Also this move suggests to me (even more than putting the Galaxy X in the C store) that you are no longer going to restrict the C store to purely cosmetic or fluff items, there is no way that having extra BOFF slots available will not give advantages to any that purchase them, having extra variety in powers that are available DOES affect game balance. I know that myself and my friends already have a few diferent setups of BOFF's for diferent things (although with the limited BOFF slots we still can't get the exact diferent setups we would like), also with some of the BOFF powers being VERY hard ( or expensive) to get its not like we can just change powers on our available BOFF's all the time.

I will add that untill now i have supported Cryptic through the C Store but if this move goes ahead as is i will NEVER again purchase any Cryptic Points and my friends feel the same way.

So Cryptic ask yourself this....is the small ammount you will get from the few willing to pay such inflated prices worth the lose in revenue and goodwill you will see from people who see this as an extreem money grab?

I could not agree more. I really am starting to feel quite sickened by the blatant acts of greed being displayed by Cryptic with this game. It seems that being a Trekkie or Trekker must come with a big sign that says "EXPLOITABLE" because they would never get away with this in any other game. I decided to pay for the lifetime membership because I could not envisage any situation where I would not want to play anymore. Well Cryptic I have to say that I am seriously contemplating abandoning this game considering the way you folks are acting towards the community. What next, are you going to start selling us photon torpedoes? Since release of this game I have been considering contacting the gaming press regarding your exploitation, which started with trying to sell more than one copy of the game to people using unscrupulous marketing techneques. The Galaxy X was almost the last straw. Now you really have gone too far! The only C-store points that I will ever spend are the 500 that came with the game. Under no circumstances will I allow myself to be cornered into paying real money for services and items that you should be providing us for free. So if the situation is going to be that I have spend more money just to stay competative then I'm going to say goodbye. For anyone who disagrees with this then I'm sorry but the rest of the community is not where I have my gripe, it's with the providers of our game which I want to enjoy with all of you. I just think it's reasonable to expect that enjoyment to come without any of us being taken for a ride.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Shush about litigation.

But, I would like to see an agreement from Cryptic that all upgrades from now on will apply account-wide.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Please keep your posts clean and on topic. ~GM Tiyshen