test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

If Sto goes F2P, I quit!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
This is going to sound TRIBBLE, but humility is its own reward I suppose.

Sorry, I've had a rough couple of days or... something./ I don't know.

I'm glad people fleshed out the F2P bit, and I was wrong for jumping to conclusions and acting like a child over something that I hadn't properly read up on.

I still disagree with the Nebula and the Excelsior being added to the C-Store. I think there should be better ways of making money, but that's just me. It probably doesn't matter. I want to do season 2 very badly and I want to be an ambassador very badly.

Cryptic, perhaps it would be better to be a bit more selective as to what is on the c-store every now and again. I mean, yeah it's good for the game to make more money, especially for all of us players, but it's also very bad if you make people mad all the time. It may not make people quit the moment you have a new massive update coming, but all it takes is for somebody to come up with a fancy sci-fi game like STO with advantages and then, why not? Perhaps it would be good to say that the game felt rushed and there were things expected in terms of fluff and content that were not delivered, and with the fluff, at least iconic starships shouldn't be charged out of people's extra pocket money. I think it's ridiculous to assume that people wouldn't want the Excelsior.

/end possibly more constructive rant.

I understand why things are moved to the C-store board. I did feel as though Cryptic was looking to sweep stuff under the rug to avoid bad PR with the moving of this stuff though, and that really bugs me.

Ah well. Sorry about the upset-ness, and me acting like a baby. I think I've better defined the talking points that I want to stick, but my ego isn't so behind it to not understand how it can be easily over-looked now.

Take it easy.

Here's the original bit so that it's not lost upon anybody:
I pay my 15 a month subscription because it is justified in content given. If you guys go F2P with all the bullcrap you have performed in the C-Store, get ready to look at a Star Trek fan who has had enough and will do something out of computer gaming.

I HATE that you're moving all those threads criticizing your c-store. Get over it! There's a problem and people are talking about it. Do you think that moving it will change things?

Good luck.

I subscribe monthly so I hope that my continued 15 a month means something to you to where you can at least allow opinions in a forum!

* how about at the end of July? I don't know. I'm ****ed about the Nebula and Excelsior issue and that you will not let anyone talk about it without closing the thread or moving it. This is in fact, quite a general discussion topic, because it talks not just about the C-store, but about the direction of the entire game given that those ships are iconic!

I'm just ****ed. I don't know. Season 2 is probably going to be awesome and I want to play the game, but I don't want the BS that comes with the c-store when there are ships that should have been free to begin with.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    If they go F2P and you quit then are tehy really out any money?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Inquizitor wrote: »

yea because if he quits then he won't be buying from their store, or if they go a DDO model then you won't have a subscription from him.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You're not taking up their bandwidth anymore! Now they have a bit more to let someone else play! That'll show'em!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Quit now then brother because IMO it's not a matter of if but when.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    i will quit to i aint playing f2p games at all period
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    dorko1 wrote: »
    I HATE that you're moving all those threads criticizing your c-store. Get over it! There's a problem and people are talking about it. Do you think that moving it will change things?

There is an actual C-Store forum page so they were well within their right to move them to the appropriate forums page.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There is an actual C-Store forum page so they were well within their right to move them to the appropriate forums page.

well wonder why they put the cstore forum way down there on their forums list ......
  • Options
    edited July 2010

That sounds great, but what about how these ships are iconic and should have been in there to begin with? This is an issue that deserves more than just a cursory glance at the C-Store board, but a larger one on the general discussion.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah its called brushing threads under the rug.

Color me unimpressed with that subforums inclusion.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    tarjan wrote: »
    well wonder why they put the cstore forum way down there on their forums list ......

I would put them on the bottom as well if all the people that visited the forums did nothing but b**** and moan over the C-Store. Nothing in the C-Store is game breaking and you are not being force to purchase anything.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Inquizitor wrote: »

I would say that they might as a lot of people would most likey not be apt to purchase anything produced by Cryptic again.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    MarkStone wrote: »
    I would say that they might as a lot of people would most likey not be apt to purchase anything produced by Cryptic again.

for me it will be no infogrames games/atari games or cryptic games as they all the same company

Just like i aint paying or buying anything from SONY corp
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I would put them on the bottom as well if all the people that visited the forums did nothing but b**** and moan over the C-Store. Nothing in the C-Store is game breaking and you are not being force to purchase anything.

Of course not, but I expect a Star Trek game to have star trek ships. I expected the Excelsior. It should have been there all along as an option versus the ugly Vesper model. I expected the Nebula.

Think about it this way: If people are ****ed off and stop paying monthly subscriptions to STO then you'll have a bigger problem on your hands.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    this will never happen.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    :)

Kind sir, if you are unable to positively contribute to the discussion by any means other than to whine and moan about those who are providing feedback to a business to which they have spent money, please go back to your table, eat your dinner and allow my colleagues and I an opportunity to discuss our distaste of this meal with the manager without your undue influence and rhetoric. Thank you and have a blessed evening...

ps. Please leave a tip for us if you are so inclined, but be aware that there is a cockroach in the salad right now...
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That sounds great, but what about how these ships are iconic and should have been in there to begin with? This is an issue that deserves more than just a cursory glance at the C-Store board, but a larger one on the general discussion.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=168199

Here is a thread where they are being discussed. As you can hopefully tell, this thread is about discussion of an item(s) that will be for sale on the C-Store. All the threads that were moved were about the C-Store. There is a difference.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Of course not, but I expect a Star Trek game to have star trek ships. I expected the Excelsior. It should have been there all along as an option versus the ugly Vesper model. I expected the Nebula.

Think about it this way: If people are ****ed off and stop paying monthly subscriptions to STO then you'll have a bigger problem on your hands.

like not getting your moneys worth of that nice blue name of yours.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Here is a thread where they are being discussed. As you can hopefully tell, this thread is about discussion of an item(s) that will be for sale on the C-Store. All the threads that were moved were about the C-Store. There is a difference.

Yes, but that's a ridiculous comparison when it's not of the same issue as to whether or not Cryptic should have not over-stepped theoretical bounds by offering to add iconic ships in the C-store that many players feel should have been part of the game in the first place.

The article you point to talks about the tier of ship the Nebula represents.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

http://www.mmogamer.com/02/25/2008/future-of-mmos-roundtable-at-gdc08-recap
    here is someteghing the great talking head jack emmeret stated about microtransactions...
  • Options
    edited July 2010

And I agree with you. I was hoping that the Nebula would have been available from the start. It wasn't and I have since gotten over my dissapointment and moved on. I am not at all upset that they are now offering this ship via the C-Store. I understand the move on Cryptics part. Will I purchase the ship. Most likely not. I have since moved on and I am happy with my current ship.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    MarkStone wrote: »
    :)

Kind sir, if you are unable to positively contribute to the discussion by any means other than to whine and moan about those who are providing feedback to a business to which they have spent money, please go back to your table, eat your dinner and allow my colleagues and I an opportunity to discuss our distaste of this meal with the manager without your undue influence and rhetoric. Thank you and have a blessed evening...

ps. Please leave a tip for us if you are so inclined, but be aware that there is a cockroach in the salad right now...

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    And I agree with you. I was hoping that the Nebula would have been available from the start. It wasn't and I have since gotten over my dissapointment and moved on. I am not at all upset that they are now offering this ship via the C-Store. I understand the move on Cryptics part. Will I purchase the ship. Most likely not. I have since moved on and I am happy with my current ship.

But the problem is that they have gone this far, barred discussion over it on the main forum and pushed it to a nearly hidden C-Store forum, and all the while talk about f2p as a future option. Think about it this way, what does f2p mean to a lifer?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Since most people miss this be it on purpose, or if by accident, I'm going to post it for you all.

Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert: Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    But the problem is that they have gone this far, barred discussion over it on the main forum and pushed it to a nearly hidden C-Store forum, and all the while talk about f2p as a future option. Think about it this way, what does f2p mean to a lifer?

That's one of the things I don't understand. LTS players will be the first one out the cash if this happens.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'd be happy if they went to a Free-to-play model. Then I could decide what I want to spend my money on in the C-Store.

If I think about if I think about it, I am currently paying about $14 per month (6 month subs) = $168.00 per year.

That is like buying 3 new games per year. Am I getting 3 games worth of content per year? Not likely.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I do not have a problem with F2P. If Cryptic decides to go that route I will continue to play this game. I do not feel cheated. I will have more options than a person that is playing for free. If they wish to enjoy this game as I do then they must pay (if Cryptic follows the DDO model).
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Zodi-emish wrote:
    Since most people miss this be it on purpose, or if by accident, I'm going to post it for you all.

Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert: Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.

Right! It's like on my cell-phone how I opt for a data plan because I don't want to be micro-transacted all over the place. I'd rather be charged a larger fee over all to cover the problem. At least then, I can budget for the problem.

How about this Cryptic? How about a multi-tiered sub plan? The standard sub is the game without any fluff, and then you have two extra tiers which determine the amount of fluff a player wants plus the c-store in case the player wants to pick and choose the fluff based on micro-transactions?

Oh yeah, and iconic ships should be part of the game. Period.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You should quit if they do Subs + Massive amounts of microtransactions.

Oh wait...
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It really depends on the bodel they choose to go F2P. I personally REALLY like the DDO model. As a Lifer I'd have a permenant subscription. That would mean the missins packs would all be open to me. As would all teh races/classes (STO doesnt really ahve classes but this is just and example) I'd also be gettign 500 C-store points a month to spend on whatever I darn well please and it would all be fluff stuff more or less.

Technically I play DDO. It's F2P so my acount is still tehre. I even payed for a month or two but when things slowed down it wasn't a big deal to cancel teh subscription and just mess around when the urge strikes me about once a month. I also have like 1000 points to spend on whatever I want not to mention since I paid money I have a premium account which opens up some features a strait F2P accoutn doesnt have.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You should quit if they do Subs + Massive amounts of microtransactions.

Oh wait...

Micortransactions = not required, Pretty simple concept to grasp.

Now if Cryptic starts putting new content (and No that does not include ships of equal tier of what is available) then they should move to F2P + C-Store.