test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Make ALL systems persistent!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Probally a thought thats been brought up before, but one i definatley think Cryptic should seriously consider.

Make all the systems and planets visited in episodes and missions persistant.
Basicly the idea is, that after completion of a mission/patrol the systems and planets you visited in that episode would be unlocked as an open area that you could return to whenever you felt like it.

And with open i mean anyone can go there after the mission.
And to make it interesting leave enemy mobs in there that one could grind and perhaps have some ultra rare item drops tied to each system, as well as the mobs of course respawning and anomalies being spawned in random locations.
Other locations like the Gateway system and P'jem monastary could be open, but just social areas to visit.

Consider this seriously Cryptic, it is a grand opportunity.
You could make the world of STO so much more vast and open, more things to see and do and.....explore, while at the same time you would not need to spend time to create any new art and locations.

THINK OF IT!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I definitely like the idea of areas becoming open after completing an episode. For instance, say you beam down and hunt down a bandit, and defeat him. The townspeople thank you and you're on your way. You can return there at any time and be greeted by everyone who remembers you. You can also engage in side-games, or hunt more bandits that are still in outlying areas.

I think that's what you're getting at. I'd love to see this in the game.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think they mentioned they had this before but took it out for some reason. Probably nothing to do in the systems outside of combat most likely.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nevermind what I said, good idea.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I like the idea of persistent worlds. We complete a mission and then can visit it anytime after. I don't entirely agree with the mobs though. Worlds along the neutral zones should have mobs, worlds inside Federation territory should not. Certain planets that we may have freed from an enemy force shouldn't have mobs.

Basically Cryptic should use common sense in determining which planets could becoming a "grinding" planet and which could become a social setting.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I agree, this would be a nice addition to game-play.

I would also like the planet Risa, which is persistent, to have ability to beam-down our BO's, so that we can show them off.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This is a really good idea.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    100% Agreed.

This is a main point in this other thread. True persistent exloration and persistent PVP war sectors all with 1 small improvement.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Planets should be persistent.

Each world should have 2 - 3 'beam down points' where you can visit, and each point should be something different - a village at one, a landscape at another, a temple at a third (for example). At each point, there should be a couple of missions that are local-interest, such as settling a dispute or helping a science team get their equipment back online. Simple stuff.

Plus, each world should sell a couple of unique items you can only get at that world.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'd love to see persistency but I'd love to see stuff to do on those planets afterwards.

I'd love to see Cryptic work on developing systems for getting content on those exterior worlds (Andoria, Vulcan, Riza, Qo'nos, etc.).

Once we have an idea of what worlds need then get the Genesis engine to create similar content for those worlds.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And there should be more planets to visit in a star system.
    The problem is, there is not enough material to populate the plantes we have at the moment. Adding more landing spots would just introduce more barren landscape. I'd say, one step at a time.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ..... I'd love to see stuff to do on those planets afterwards.......

like Fleet colonization.

a series of fleetwide quests to be able to break ground on their headquarters.... on the planet of your choice......if your fleet can survive the colonization quests or tasks.

• Options
    edited June 2010
    like Fleet colonization.

Awesome idea. What about adding in Fleet vs Fleet territory disputes that could be solved diplomatically or by pew pewing? Or would every Fleet be able to colonize and just have an instance?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That would be awesome. Not to mention kinda cool if they did follow up episodes like delivering the new tools and holo equipment to the disgruntled miners or visiting liberated planets and furthuring relations with them. Kinda make the situations feel less like I'm just blazing thru, shooting bad guys, now you're on your own again. Especially with chain episodes. Kinda feels wierd going thru a story arc, get to the end, and nothing is heard from that arc again EVER. I just saved your village, have fun... what were we talking about? The ability to go back and see whats going on now and participating with those groups in minisodes and special loot aquisition would definatly be of interest.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Indeed.
    Basicly, if Cryptic implemented even just this basic idea they would have great framework for future stories and episodes. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'd like this. I always thought that the systems should be actual systems rather than a star with a planet and maybe a moon with no reason for being there unless you had a mission.

What i'd like to see eventually is Cryptic opening up each system to the point where you could enter any system at any time, populate them with more planets (making the system much larger), add merchant ships, pockets of enemies with a reason for why you might be hunting them, etc. Also allow you to hail the inhabited planets to perhaps buy their goods (some of which wiould be unique to that system). Perhaps more starbases around select planets in select systems which offer unique things. I would say to add quest givers in the systems, but that might be odd seeing as the missions usually come straight from starfleet.

Add things like this a little at a time until the systems themselves become mini-zones of their own that have some life to them.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well you could still have short quests.
    One thing i notice STO does lack is quests of minor tasks like in other MMO's, to help a guy find his pet targ or something along those lines. :cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hell, I'd just like to be able to visit them for sight-seeing purposes!

There are some great canon locations, like P'Jem, the Briar Patch and many more, that we got to experience briefly for one mission, but can't ever see again, outside of the 'episode replay' system (which we don't have yet! ;) ) It's really fun to go and cruise around Vulcan and Andoria, so I don't see why we shouldn't be able to do the same for other major space landmarks (or should that be 'spacemarks'?).

Same goes for less famous locations - the Pico system has a nifty asteroid field, with a really cool-looking exploded moon. I'd love to be able to visit that again! :cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    /signed. It would also make it seem like the game is bigger
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This idea haz win, so long as not all the environs have enemy mobs.

Some like, say, P'jem, would be better as social mini-hubs and space for future small non-combat quests.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Veet wrote:
    I'd like this. I always thought that the systems should be actual systems rather than a star with a planet and maybe a moon with no reason for being there unless you had a mission.

What i'd like to see eventually is Cryptic opening up each system to the point where you could enter any system at any time, populate them with more planets (making the system much larger), add merchant ships, pockets of enemies with a reason for why you might be hunting them, etc. Also allow you to hail the inhabited planets to perhaps buy their goods (some of which wiould be unique to that system). Perhaps more starbases around select planets in select systems which offer unique things. I would say to add quest givers in the systems, but that might be odd seeing as the missions usually come straight from starfleet.

Add things like this a little at a time until the systems themselves become mini-zones of their own that have some life to them.

This should have been the way the game was designed at launch. Instead of quick mission quests then on to the next one. Then ding!!!!! You are now a new rank. They could have had each system you are sent to have many side quests with planets, quests and mobs. That way you would use each system for questing and skilling up at a much slower rate.

The biggest problem was a lack of content and hitting the level capmtoo fast. This type of open system would have made this a much better MMO from the start. Season 2 will change things for the better. But never using each system like they could have to exponentially increase the quest content was a mistake. Opening it now would add to the game, but not like it could have from the start.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Came to think about this thread again because some of my friends and fleet mates have expressed a similar desire to be able to enter every single star system.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    This thread needs support, and needs to be noticed.

I say again as i said in page 1, this very simple move would add A LOT more content to STO with "minimal" effort, and make the game a lot more immersive.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I like this idea as well. I won't go as far as saying it would be "minimal" effort, I'll let someone on the dev team make that call. However it would be nice to see something like this integrated with episode replay where revisiting a planet gives you the option to either replay the mission or instead go back and visit the locals.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Magnificent idea. Something I wanted to see from the get-go. Would also like to see alternative storyarcs depending on class and possibly race.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I definitely support this idea. I would love to go back to some of my favorite locations where I did a mission, but can't visit again because of that. These kind of locations would also be great areas to spread Diplomatic missions around, giving you more things to do on the planet without the fear of being killed by a swarm of enemies(though in some locations, enemy swarms wouldn't be a bad idea).
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    /rant=on
    With all of the game play issues currently effecting everyone's enjoyment of STO, most of you folks want to have some more non-usable, non-needed, vanity-based work to side-track and distract the development team while exponentially increasing database storage?

While I can appreciate everyone wanting to be able to zip around a perpetual, persistent Star Trek based galaxy so that they individually can live out their own little private Trek fantasies, I do think and feel very strongly that we must have a stable, working, bug-free GAME in which to enjoy ourselves.

Oh, and about that perpetual, persistent galaxy where 1 player finds and names a planet and NO OTHER PLAYER can ever go there and find and name that "new" planet again because it's already been done by the one previous person and the galaxy is persistent and perpetual.

And while we're on the idea of perpetual persistence, if one player goes in and defeats the dreaded Planet-Killer, shouldn't the Planet-Killer be gone and done so that no one else will ever have to worry about it ever again? In other words, since one player already did it, no other player has to ever be bothered with doing it again?

Oh, and another thing about perpetual persistence, shouldn't that one time that you make some extremely bad choices while captaining a starship and run into a fleet of Borg Cubes which in turn make your Galaxy X into a swiss-cheese looking hulk of a dead star ship, mean that your character's life, career, ship and crew are gone FOREVER! Cus that's what perpetual and persistent mean! No re-dos, no re-plays, no re-spawns...

Be careful what you ask for, you just may get it... :(
    /rant=off
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The lack of content "is" a major gameplay issue.

Leaving the systems and planets open after episodes with some random sample and enemy spawns(properly categorized of course) would open up a whole wide array of possibilities.
    Not only would they have a framework for future episodes and missions again, but also new grinding locations people can go to for their accolade needs etc.
    Cryptic could even added rare loot drops that would be unique to certain locations.
    Not to mention the possibility of adding random mission generators tied specificly to each system.

But most importantly, it serves the very important purpose of making the STO game world feel a lot larger thant it does now, the freedom and ability to go wherever one wants to.
    Trueheart wrote:
    I like this idea as well. I won't go as far as saying it would be "minimal" effort, I'll let someone on the dev team make that call. However it would be nice to see something like this integrated with episode replay where revisiting a planet gives you the option to either replay the mission or instead go back and visit the locals.

Well compared to designing hundreds of new sytems and planets, it is minimal. :p
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Amosov wrote:
    I think they mentioned they had this before but took it out for some reason. Probably nothing to do in the systems outside of combat most likely.

This is really the biggest problem with STO. There is absolutely almost nothing to do on any of the planets or star basses they just feel lifeless.:(
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    While this idea might have some merit, I would wonder how it would impact Episode replays which have been in the works.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Gruug wrote: »
    While this idea might have some merit, I would wonder how it would impact Episode replays which have been in the works.

I doubt it would affect them much considering episodes are loaded from a separate instance.