test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Best of E3:

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited June 2010 in Ten Forward
Have you guys been keeping track of E3 this year? Well... Nintendo won. :P

That aside the 3DS is potentially the most awesome leap in a long time. 3d without glasses that's actually effective, natural looking and everything! If only they could get it working as easy (or hard) on consoles (stupid TVs!).

Nintendo showed a lot of games. I don't really like the Zelda graphics but I'd never seen a Zelda game I didn't like (not counting the CDi ones) so I'm sure it'll own.

Donkey Kong Country is coming back, Kirby too and many more.

Microsoft and Sony just mainly showed us their version of motion control which left many people just thinking "nothing new". Though there are several games that look interesting.

On the PC side I'm looking forward to The Old Republic and they released another potentially million dollar costing trailer where a Jedi goes HAAADOOUUUKEN! They revealed player ships and said they'd be customizable. etc etc.

Basically I loved what Nintendo is doing with the 3DS, their games and then I loved many of the PC games (TOR, Civ 5, etc).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    While I love the classics I'm noticing a trend in the world of video games and movies. recently there have been remakes and reboots of older franchises. I'm still psyched for Fable 3, Civ 5, and the new Zelda.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Kid Icarus Uprising... I died a little inside.
    And not good kind of died.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I never even liked the first one. This one looks better. It's coming back and is an upgrade. :cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Only watched the Zelda part just now. Man Miyamoto is smooth as a Sonic slushie. ANYWAY, I'm disheartened that the graphics are kind of... Wind Wakerish without the really out-there stylized WW feel. But what a petty complaint. It's gonna be tight.

And Nintendo always wins E3.
    I hearsay Sony and Microsoft are copying Nintendo's motion control... of course.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nope. This is the best of E3. WH40k Online.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nobody cares about Warhammer. Sorry.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ravenstein wrote: »

Holy TRIBBLE i didn't see that one! STO, TOR, and now WH40K, i think i'm heading to sci-fi MMOG heaven!

EDIT: as for nintendo, yeah they won.... if you're a ten year old! for me? it was Mortal Kombat, taking a page out of capcoms book and going back to it's roots. It's the game that'll make me get a console.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

This.

A thousand times, this.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This.

A thousand times, this.

We're never going to see you two again once that comes out are we?

It does look great though.

Nothing has gotten me super excited this year, but still some good stuff there.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Krent wrote: »

Depends on a few factors.

First is of course the quality of the competing product. Second is what Star Trek will have. If Star Trek develops in a way that I like, I will stick with it. However if Warhammer turns out to be superior, I will go with that. I have high hopes for both, but I am finicky girl. So impress me Cryptic and Vigil!

But if Vigil can live up to the awesome that was in that video (I wanna pilot a Titan!) then I know where I will go.

Hear that Cryptic? Ravensteins wants a Giant Robot. I know Star Trek has the technology to make them. Or at least they should...
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hear that Cryptic? Ravensteins wants a Giant Robot.

Maybe a mission where you pilot a giant Lore attacking Quo'nos? (Lazer eyes of course)

Maybe I'm a TRIBBLE, but I'm still hoping that Microsoft Kinect can make something revolutionary (or at least non-lame) happen with all their impressive tech. Child of Eden (Rez sequel) looks sweet... but I want something that I can't possibly do with a traditional controller.

The new Metal Gear Solid "cutting" tech looks like it will lead to some hilarious situations. Portal 2 = love.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    mhighison wrote: »
    Maybe a mission where you pilot a giant Lore attacking Quo'nos? (Lazer eyes of course)

I could totally get on board with that.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think people are thinking the wrong way about the Prometheus class. We shouldn't be able to divide our ships into three, we should be able to combine them into one giant ship/robot, and fight huge monsters sent down from some crazy Japanese lady with bad lip synching problems.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    nintendo was a complete fail compared to the kinect and move both are awesome. as for games i like the idea of battlestar galactica it going to be free and browser based. just like the new star trek game. not talking about the one on facebook.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Maybe I'm a TRIBBLE, but I'm still hoping that Microsoft Kinect can make something revolutionary (or at least non-lame) happen with all their impressive tech. Child of Eden (Rez sequel) looks sweet... but I want something that I can't possibly do with a traditional controller.
    That Dance Central game from Harmonix makes DDR look pathetic
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hear that Cryptic? Ravensteins wants a Giant Robot. I know Star Trek has the technology to make them. Or at least they should...
    A giant robot launched to dismantle a ship and we have to beam to the exterior of the other ship in Hazard/Space Suits.

The enemy has a knockback that launches us into space.

That would be epic.

Also, Rocketman by Elton John as the mission's music.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I followed E3, was some fantastic stuff, but as someone earlier mentioned, Sony and MS going on about their motion control, kinda was old... I was kinda impressed, but we've had it all before with the Wii...

The most exciting one was the Nintendo 3DS. Also really looking forward to the new Kirby game!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Civilization 5? o.O

PICTURES!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Was a very dull E3 for me, the hilight being mroe tOR news, other than that it was more of the same from nintendo, sony and Microsoft.

Nintendo rehashed a load more old titles, sony ripped off the wii, microsoft failed to recognise that a periferal that costs $150 isn't very attactive (HD DVD drive any one?)

Fail.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hoplite wrote: »
    Was a very dull E3 for me, the hilight being mroe tOR news, other than that it was more of the same from nintendo, sony and Microsoft.

Nintendo rehashed a load more old titles, sony ripped off the wii, microsoft failed to recognise that a periferal that costs $150 isn't very attactive (HD DVD drive any one?)

Fail.
    You forgot Activision having dozens of performers without showing much off (and avoiding the fact a good portion of that money came from devs they forced out of the company)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Krent wrote: »

It's the truth. Raven and I will MMO-elope and skip together forever through strawberry fields of skulls for the skull throne.
    Depends on a few factors.

First is of course the quality of the competing product. Second is what Star Trek will have. If Star Trek develops in a way that I like, I will stick with it. However if Warhammer turns out to be superior, I will go with that. I have high hopes for both, but I am finicky girl. So impress me Cryptic and Vigil!

But if Vigil can live up to the awesome that was in that video (I wanna pilot a Titan!) then I know where I will go.

You lie. You know as well as I do that Star Trek can't create anything that can measure up to the endless love that is possibly maybe being able to pilot a Titan hopefully.

I would settle for this. Not quite the same thrill as piloting a Titan straight into the ranks of an Ork WAAAGGHH thousands strong and purging the xenos in the name of the Venerable God-Emperor of Mankind, but it'll do.
    Portal 2 = love.

This needs not be said, because we're already all thinking it.
    Flasherman wrote: »
    I think people are thinking the wrong way about the Prometheus class. We shouldn't be able to divide our ships into three, we should be able to combine them into one giant ship/robot, and fight huge monsters sent down from some crazy Japanese lady with bad lip synching problems.

Prometron. I could get behind this idea.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Portal 2.

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/64329/portal-2/videos/e310_portal2_demo_01_061510.html

O_O

I have ALWAYS loved the whole "tech facility overtaken bit by bit by nature'-style of graphics design. (something about the awesome power of nature, I suspect).

and this is, I think, the first time I've ever seen it done right.

You monster.

edits:
    on Kinect... if you look closely during the live demonstration... several times the characters onscreen moved before the players did... looked worse than milli vanilli's lipsyncing.

on the new Kid Icarus... I cried inside. why are they deliberately killing my inner child?

on WH40k ... hmmm. intriguing indeed. my interest, you may partake of it.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Swoon...

That might win me over
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Keep in mind that some times the ones nobody mentions in the Big presentations can end up being sleeper hits.
    I am just amped to see what gets talked about a few weeks from now. When the videogame journalists have had a chance to compare notes.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    SWtor, 40K and the motion sensitive Playstation all looked cool to me.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    SWTOR will get all my money and my soul if bioware asks for it.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Maybe a mission where you pilot a giant Lore attacking Quo'nos? (Lazer eyes of course).

That would work. That would more then work! Get on it. Adding that to my list of things I want alongside hats, hair decs, and ponies.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Only watched the Zelda part just now. Man Miyamoto is smooth as a Sonic slushie. ANYWAY, I'm disheartened that the graphics are kind of... Wind Wakerish without the really out-there stylized WW feel. But what a petty complaint. It's gonna be tight.

And Nintendo always wins E3.
    I hearsay Sony and Microsoft are copying Nintendo's motion control... of course.

I'd hardly call what MS is dong copying. (See PS3 wand for that)
    The only reason you are seeing most of this motion controlled trash is to appeal to the common player, IE 90% of the WII owners. Kids, casual players, etc. Nothing wrong with that.
    I don't think the WII has won anything but sales. The graphics are noticeably light years behind the competition (PS2 graphics at best) and losing ground every year. The online service is a joke compared to MS, Nintendo hasn't done nearly enough to tap into that potential like they should have over a year ago. The Zelda game is going to be amazing, they almost always are, it will be nice to see a Zelda game on the next console that actually has a little HP behind it though. The one thing I will give Nintendo is game play mechanics. The franchise juggernauts, like Mario Kart, Super Mario galaxy, Zelda, etc ALWAYS deliver an A+ gaming experience. If anything MS Kinect is the next step in the evolution of the controller. It's playing the game without the device in your hand and the sneak peeks at the software already show the potential is there to create some really fun casual games. MS plans to carry that over to the next console as well. (that tech is where you will start seeing some real Iron Man basement type stuff with motion) I hate even trying to pick a "WINNER" out of these things because I think you have to look at the overall body of work from every company and judge if gamers in general are going to win. Fanbois pick winners, gamers look for the nuggets buried in every platform and see what the year will bring for everyone.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That would work. That would more then work! Get on it. Adding that to my list of things I want alongside hats, hair decs, and ponies.

They do still owe us ponies.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Although 40K looks good I have a bad feeling it will be just like WAR and flunk like a high school dropout.

SWTOR is instant win though. Bioware always makes great games and they have taken their time with SWTOR. I have a good feeling it will sap alot of STO players thats for sure...