test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ship Interiors: Customization or Load Screens

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Given the new sliding doors tech and mention of ship layouts coming in three varieties, if you have to choose, would you choose:

1. Ship layout dictated by bridge choice. No load screens.

2. Being able to customize ship interiors more, mixing and matching sickbays with ten forwards but load screens at least on every deck.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Devs have already stated they are trying not to have load screens for ship interiors, just one large map. That's why we are going to have sliding doors. As for being able to customize each individual room, it would be nice but not necessary for me. I'd prefer the large no loading screen map. Besides Kirk didn't get to customize his ship :p
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'd go for option 2, but ONLY if those load screens were deck-by-deck. It'd be ridiculous IMO to be walking down a corridor, walk into sickbay *LOAD SCREEN*, walk out of sickbay *LOAD SCREEN*, walk down the corridor 10 feet to my quarters *LOAD SCREEN*.

Basically, I only want to see them when I get to a turbolift to go to engineering, ten forward, etc. Of course if they could allow customization AND no load screens, then that's even more of a plus. :D

Also it'd be really great if they'd get rid of the beam in/out animation whenever you go to/leave your bridge.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    attilio wrote: »
    Devs have already stated they are trying not to have load screens for ship interiors, just one large map. That's why we are going to have sliding doors. As for being able to customize each individual room, it would be nice but necessary for me. I'd prefer the large no loading screen map. Besides Kirk didn't get to customize his ship :p

I'm all for that
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Guess what?

Engineering Report says sliding door tech should be coming for Season 2.

Meaning, not only not load screens but you won't have to stutter of using turbolifts, like in space stations. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    attilio wrote: »
    Devs have already stated they are trying not to have load screens for ship interiors, just one large map. That's why we are going to have sliding doors. As for being able to customize each individual room, it would be nice but not necessary for me. I'd prefer the large no loading screen map. Besides Kirk didn't get to customize his ship :p

Yep doing it this way and making dual maps for just walking around and combat is the smartest way to go....now if they would only let us travel trough sector space from our Bridge. "D
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oo sliding doors. :)

And option 1. There are already enough load screens.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    LotD wrote:
    Oo sliding doors. :)

And option 1. There are already enough load screens.

Not quite. I don't know if different decks of the ship are handled via stutter-load (like a turbolift in existing space stations) or if separate decks require loads.

The sliding door means things like the Ready Room, a hallway, and the reception room for First Contacts could work.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yep doing it this way and making dual maps for just walking around and combat is the smartest way to go....now if they would only let us travel trough sector space from our Bridge. "D

That's a lot more difficult for them to implement. It would require a whole new design, and probably a complete overhaul of their current sector space setup. I remember a dev saying it isn't something they plan on doing, I just don't remember which dev.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    We are going to be adding the ship interiors to your existing bridges... and then retrofitting your bridge with the addition of the ready room.

So the goal is - you log in after Season 2.0, go to your bridge, walk over to the ready room door, it slides open and you walk into your ready room.

There will still be quick jumps when you use the turbolifts (at rear of bridge) to go to other decks, but that is entirely based on the speed of your video card, so for some they may not even notice the quick loading screen.

When you set which interior layout you want for your ship in the ship "tailor" we use a variable to determine which decks are available to your ship.

We are big fans of allowing players to customize their ships so hopefully in future updates you'll see more and more customization options, but for now the layouts will be preset and you'll pick between 3 (and yes KLG have 3 diff options as well).
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well...guess that's a start.

I was hoping you'd finally gotten around to making a turbolift that appears to work (i.e. doors sliding open, step inside, wait a second while it "moves" to location, and doors open to step out) rather than stuttering or popping a loading screen.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    dstahl wrote: »
    We are going to be adding the ship interiors to your existing bridges... and then retrofitting your bridge with the addition of the ready room.

So the goal is - you log in after Season 2.0, go to your bridge, walk over to the ready room door, it slides open and you walk into your ready room.

There will still be quick jumps when you use the turbolifts (at rear of bridge) to go to other decks, but that is entirely based on the speed of your video card, so for some they may not even notice the quick loading screen.

When you set which interior layout you want for your ship in the ship "tailor" we use a variable to determine which decks are available to your ship.

We are big fans of allowing players to customize their ships so hopefully in future updates you'll see more and more customization options, but for now the layouts will be preset and you'll pick between 3 (and yes KLG have 3 diff options as well).

The loading screens wouldn't be so bad if they were themed to your current situation. I remember they had animated versions in beta that showed a turbolift if you had just used one, or a warp effect if you had just gone to warp. Any idea why they're not in current use now?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Good to hear dstahl, thanks!...

But please please please tell me you're gonna stop us from beaming off the bridge when we go to the normal (outside of ship) view! It's so daft. Just cut out the combadge-and-transport animation and go straight to loading screen when leaving the bridge. Please!!
  • Options
    edited June 2010

That's awesome!

I was worried after some of what I read in this post that it might be that the bridge and rest of ship interior were more directly connected, but that's great that it's not so. Otherwise, people would be screaming about the turbolifts not really doing anything. On the other hand, a load screen through the turbolift is entirely necessary.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Will the sections of my ship be more than cosmetic? For example, if my ship or character is damaged/injured due to the death penalty, can I take a stroll on down to engineering or sickbay, purchase components/regenerators and repair/heal on the spot without the need to travel to a spacedock?
  • Options
    edited June 2010

damn, this is awesome :D
    finally, this game is coming together...
    now all you need to do is GET RID OF SECTOR SPACE :D

oh yeah, can you resize the bridge and earth space dock?
    kthx
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Will we at least be able to select interior colors for the preset layouts or will the whole interior get it's color scheme from the bridge selection?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Awesome news, I look forward to seeing the bridges come alive with interiors and the new ready room.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

When we get our Ready Rooms, can you add a "Kick your feet up" emote? That way I can go into my ready room and prop my feet up on the desk while I do my various inventory and crew organization stuff.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

why can't this be done at SB1 for the docking bays? I'ld love to enter one at ahead dead slow and come along side a docking arm/airlock to enter SB1 from there, rather than beaming down all the time, and leave the same way.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Guys, i haven't seen many questions about this but.. what about functionality?

I'm very excited to check out the interiors.. but will there be a purpose to walking around our ship, other than it being purely cosmetic?
  • Options
    edited June 2010

This all sounds very nice, I just hope there are things to do in our ships when interiors are added. If nothing else at least add vendors.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

THIS is what I don't get... you want total immersion in a game, and the load screens absolutely DESTROY that immersion. Can't you make an OPTION at least where you can have the choice to either a) have a load screen or b) have an actual turbolift that you walk into, and the take down to another deck? It would load the next deck as you travel down and wouldn't have to take long.

It's like the whole "beam up anywhere" question that bothers me, Earth Space Dock's transporter room ISN'T EVEN IN THE GAME. I personally think that people should have to go to the transporter room to beam up or at least have the choice (or on MY ship, no choice other then go to the transporter room lol).

If you go to Memory Alpha, when on the transporter pad it GIVES you the option to transport. Why? You can just run into the middle of Memory Alpha and beam up instead.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    THIS is what I don't get... you want total immersion in a game, and the load screens absolutely DESTROY that immersion.

If the game didnt already have loading screens, then perhaps I could see your point. But seeing as how it does, how is this any different?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    THIS is what I don't get... you want total immersion in a game, and the load screens absolutely DESTROY that immersion. Can't you make an OPTION at least where you can have the choice to either a) have a load screen or b) have an actual turbolift that you walk into, and the take down to another deck? It would load the next deck as you travel down and wouldn't have to take long.

It's like the whole "beam up anywhere" question that bothers me, Earth Space Dock's transporter room ISN'T EVEN IN THE GAME. I personally think that people should have to go to the transporter room to beam up or at least have the choice (or on MY ship, no choice other then go to the transporter room lol).

If you go to Memory Alpha, when on the transporter pad it GIVES you the option to transport. Why? You can just run into the middle of Memory Alpha and beam up instead.

If there was an option wether to use loading screens or not, then who would opt to actually USE them?

But i agree with your feeling. Dstahl, isn't it possible for the game engine to actually load the entire ship interior when we go to the bridge?

I.E, if or current ship configuration uses template B, and we have four different decks we can go to, then assemble those decks and load all of them with the bridge, so you could travel seamlessly through the ship, instead of loading each deck independently only when we decide to visit it.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    We are big fans of allowing players to customize their ships so hopefully in future updates you'll see more and more customization options...

sorry that i mention this at any point reasonable,
    but i simply want to higher the chances it gets attention...

i believe the customization of the whole ship crew is a very important part for a personalized ship...
    beside an option to preset the uniforms of generic-BOs,
    which is planned as far as i know,
    i want to recommend this again:

Nightshift-BOs

just on of my ideas how it might work,
    maybe it just gives the idea for a better solution tho...

Greetings Colo
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ruivo wrote:
    Dstahl, isn't it possible for the game engine to actually load the entire ship interior when we go to the bridge?

I.E, if or current ship configuration uses template B, and we have four different decks we can go to, then assemble those decks and load all of them with the bridge, so you could travel seamlessly through the ship, instead of loading each deck independently only when we decide to visit it.
    Yes, that's what he just said a few pages back.

Your graphics card will need to load all the art assets while travelling via Turbolift. However, there are 0 loading screens.

You may notice a "stutter" like in current space stations (use the turbolift at sol station to see) but there will be no loading screens.

If you meaning loading them onto the video card all at once to prevent stuttering, I'm sure that would be a huge performance hit for few returns, especially on large ships.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Your graphics card will need to load all the art assets while travelling via Turbolift. However, there are 0 loading screens.

You may notice a "stutter" like in current space stations (use the turbolift at sol station to see) but there will be no loading screens.

If you meaning loading them onto the video card all at once to prevent stuttering, I'm sure that would be a huge performance hit for few returns, especially on large ships.

Ah yes. That's called pre-caching.

It would most certainly be a big performance hit, but only for slower video cards. If you have anything at or over the 8k generation of nVidia cards with 256mb of video ram or more, the pre-caching would never take more than 30 seconds, even for the largest of ships.

That is, of course, considering a perfectly optimized code. Think UT3 engine.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Just please please please tell me by adding the ready room your are not making the warehouse sized Bridges even bigger?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ruivo wrote:
    Ah yes. That's called pre-caching.

It would most certainly be a big performance hit, but only for slower video cards. If you have anything at or over the 8k generation of nVidia cards with 256mb of video ram or more, the pre-caching would never take more than 30 seconds, even for the largest of ships.

That is, of course, considering a perfectly optimized code. Think UT3 engine.

Here's the catch for STO:
    * OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
    * CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    * Memory: 1GB RAM
    * Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
    * Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
    * DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
    * HDD: 10GB Free Disk Space
    * Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
    * Disc: 6X DVD-ROM
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Honestly... I have never understood the reason for any stutter... at least for me... I have 896MB of video ram on my machine, but the game has never used more than 390MB... it is something that has always bugged me to no end...